Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook 21:24 - Apr 20 with 7013 viewsTieDyedIn95

I have been a big supporter of Paul Cook coming here and he's had 100% of my backing since he arrived but like others (and even more moderate posters) have suggested the team morale and overall performance, shape, instruction have dipped to so many new lows since his arrival I am also getting genuinely concerned.

I understand the players have downed tools, but why aren't we trying out more of the squad? Why aren't we using a system that suits what we have, if we are just going to use what we have? What I will say is it's clear the players do not rate Cook and have taken to him as warmly as they did to Paul Hurst and that is worrying for me. I am not someone who over rates this squad by any means, but we should have enough in us to beat Rochdale, Wimbledon, Wigan, Northampton and so on. We beat the piss poor teams last season in most cases without even breaking a sweat and we were a mid-table side then. So what has happened?

So I am going to say we're in a weird position of taking a gamble of continuing on with Paul Cook next season. I know many are calling for a complete squad over haul but that approach rarely works either. If we go too radical like we did under Hurst we could end up getting relegated. Cook is trading off his reputation with Pompey and Wigan here, which is the only reason we should keep him because what we've seen from him so far is a lot of shouting, animation but a complete regression in footballing terms. Paul Lambert would have done better had he stayed on, not saying he should have, but hew knew the squad and its limitations and they were poorer than what most supporters believed they were. Cook took none of what Lambert did on board, or even Gill who was there and has pushed to adopt his own system as quickly as possible, also likely on the assumption that Lambert was the sole issue.

The idea that he's going to recruit 15 odd players in the summer from this league and lower and suddenly walk this league is not realistic. Yeah, some of the old guard have to go, some of the injury prone and that lot have to go but players like your Nydhams, Kenlocks, Bishops, Downes, Wolfies and even to some extent Edwards and even dare I say it... Judge should easily be able to manage football in this league with some good recruitment around them. All of the strikers have been bad, except Norwood when he is fit but he's a liability for the club in other ways that we can probably do better there.

I just don't know if it's just the players after this many games. We have been absolutely awful. We've been told it will be better next season so many times before when the writings been on the wall that it has to be stupid to ignore what we have seen.

Cook out? I don't know. My heart says no, but my head is telling me that maybe it is a risk to keep him on after the end of this season.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:07 - Apr 21 with 799 viewsPJH

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 10:48 - Apr 21 by Keaneish

Completely agree with you - the hysteria at the moment is nonsense. As I said in another post, Mick McCarthy is 2 wins in 10, a run that has missed the play-offs, exactly the same as Cook. No-one at Cardiff is calling for Mick to leave so why here? Ridiculous.

Mick, like Cook will get it right. Cook at the moment is trying everything and anything to get a tune out of them. People need to be patient, it’s as simple as that

A slight difference is that when MM arrived at Cardiff they were nowhere near the playoffs but his 24 points from 10 games got them thinking that the playoffs were possible.

Cook arrived here with us within touching distance of the playoffs and with a relatively easy fixture list. With 4 of those 'easy' fixtures left we are a long way from the playoffs.

Of course, if Cook had had a 24 points from 10 games start here we would be still chasing automatic.
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:32 - Apr 21 with 773 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 10:56 - Apr 21 by jontysnut

Agree that he has a track record of rebuilding squads, but I'm worried about who would want to come here - at the moment we're a basket case

You're kidding aren't you? We'll be the wealthiest club in the division next season, with probably the best manager at this level. i can see players dropping down from the Championship to come here.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:38 - Apr 21 with 760 viewshaynes_toe1

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:32 - Apr 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

You're kidding aren't you? We'll be the wealthiest club in the division next season, with probably the best manager at this level. i can see players dropping down from the Championship to come here.

I'm not sure 'best manager at this level' will sell to players if they see his record since coming here.
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:39 - Apr 21 with 759 viewsElephantintheRoom

The wealthiest club in this division? Erm....?

Town are probably the poorest club in this division in that they are funded entirely by debt - and this time the debt needs paying for.

I'm not sure wealth, real or alleged is entirely relevant given who is currently soaring above Town. And it might be best to wait and see who's relegated. Rotherham for example are this divisions Norwich City - and Derby, if they make it have Tom Lawrence who is Premier Legue class..... and also very good at throwing money away.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:45 - Apr 21 with 740 viewshype313

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:38 - Apr 21 by haynes_toe1

I'm not sure 'best manager at this level' will sell to players if they see his record since coming here.

You really think Players will think "Not going there, given his 10 game record"?

Some comments today are gold.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:47 - Apr 21 with 737 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:38 - Apr 21 by haynes_toe1

I doubt they'll look at his record since coming here, but if they do they're hardly going to blot out everything else he's ever done.

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:48 - Apr 21 with 735 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:45 - Apr 21 by hype313

You really think Players will think "Not going there, given his 10 game record"?

Beggar's belief doesn't it?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:49 - Apr 21 with 734 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:39 - Apr 21 by ElephantintheRoom

The wealthiest club in this division? Erm....?

Town are probably the poorest club in this division in that they are funded entirely by debt - and this time the debt needs paying for.

I'm not sure wealth, real or alleged is entirely relevant given who is currently soaring above Town. And it might be best to wait and see who's relegated. Rotherham for example are this divisions Norwich City - and Derby, if they make it have Tom Lawrence who is Premier Legue class..... and also very good at throwing money away.

What are you blathering on about?

Login to get fewer ads

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:51 - Apr 21 with 733 viewshype313

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:48 - Apr 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

Beggar's belief doesn't it?

I've seen some days on here, but today is madness.

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:52 - Apr 21 with 723 viewshaynes_toe1

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:45 - Apr 21 by hype313

No, but I also don't think they'll believe he's the best manager in the division. "Oh, he came in last season to confirm Ipswich in the playoffs, they were a point off when he came in and they got worse as each game went by, in every conceivable way and finished no where near, I better go there!"

Paul Warne, assuming Rotherham get relegated, would be one definitely better manager in our division.
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:53 - Apr 21 with 717 viewsitfcjoe

Sunderland going up would be handy as they seem to have a lot to spend and are organising themselves

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:57 - Apr 21 with 697 viewshype313

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:52 - Apr 21 by haynes_toe1

No, but I also don't think they'll believe he's the best manager in the division. "Oh, he came in last season to confirm Ipswich in the playoffs, they were a point off when he came in and they got worse as each game went by, in every conceivable way and finished no where near, I better go there!"

Paul Warne, assuming Rotherham get relegated, would be one definitely better manager in our division.

Even if that were true (Which given Cooks record isn't) you really think Players would plump for Rotherham over us?

Madness.

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:58 - Apr 21 with 694 viewshaynes_toe1

At the end of the day, is there another example where a manager has come in and had such an appauling record in terms of both results and performances, only to then be given the flexibility to completely build a whole new squad in the summer?

From the owners point of view I'm sure they'll be considering their options.
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 12:03 - Apr 21 with 677 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 10:48 - Apr 21 by Keaneish

Completely agree with you - the hysteria at the moment is nonsense. As I said in another post, Mick McCarthy is 2 wins in 10, a run that has missed the play-offs, exactly the same as Cook. No-one at Cardiff is calling for Mick to leave so why here? Ridiculous.

Mick, like Cook will get it right. Cook at the moment is trying everything and anything to get a tune out of them. People need to be patient, it’s as simple as that

I literally keep thinking this whole board is on a wind up.

These players, most of them know they won’t be here next season, and that shows with their performances on the pitch.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 12:06 - Apr 21 with 671 viewspointofblue

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 12:03 - Apr 21 by TRUE_BLUE123

I literally keep thinking this whole board is on a wind up.

These players, most of them know they won’t be here next season, and that shows with their performances on the pitch.

Why are we so inconsistent though? Charlton was a decent performance until fitness told; we looked good for the first half at Portsmouth and until Downes went off at home to Plymouth. We started on fire against Bristol Rovers. We even started both halves fine yesterday. If the players had downed tools we’d be dreadful from the first to last minute in every game.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 12:24 - Apr 21 with 663 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 12:06 - Apr 21 by pointofblue

Why are we so inconsistent though? Charlton was a decent performance until fitness told; we looked good for the first half at Portsmouth and until Downes went off at home to Plymouth. We started on fire against Bristol Rovers. We even started both halves fine yesterday. If the players had downed tools we’d be dreadful from the first to last minute in every game.

I think we look decent in spells. And I’m not saying they aren’t trying. But when you watch Ipswich do you really see 11 players who are doing everything in their power to win. I don’t.

Maybe it’s a subconscious thing. Maybe the players just aren’t very good. I don’t know what it is but I cannot look past these players. They certainly aren’t fit enough to play the football Paul Cook wants

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 12:53 - Apr 21 with 652 viewspointofblue

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 12:24 - Apr 21 by TRUE_BLUE123

I think we look decent in spells. And I’m not saying they aren’t trying. But when you watch Ipswich do you really see 11 players who are doing everything in their power to win. I don’t.

Maybe it’s a subconscious thing. Maybe the players just aren’t very good. I don’t know what it is but I cannot look past these players. They certainly aren’t fit enough to play the football Paul Cook wants

Final paragraph I agree but I wouldn’t say that’s down to Cook or the players - thatKs done to the abysmal set up Lambert and Evans had in place in terms of our fitness regime.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 13:28 - Apr 21 with 633 viewschrismakin

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:52 - Apr 21 by haynes_toe1

eh? a manager who gets relegated would be better?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 13:30 - Apr 21 with 628 viewsitfcpaul

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 13:28 - Apr 21 by chrismakin

eh? a manager who gets relegated would be better?

Do you actually watch football?

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 13:32 - Apr 21 with 623 viewschrismakin

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 13:30 - Apr 21 by itfcpaul

Do you actually watch football?

Even if you didn't why would you say a relegated manager would be better than a manager who's had success FROM May with his two previous clubs , whilst undertaking a squad repacement..

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 13:35 - Apr 21 with 617 viewsitfcpaul

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 13:32 - Apr 21 by chrismakin

Even if you didn't why would you say a relegated manager would be better than a manager who's had success FROM May with his two previous clubs , whilst undertaking a squad repacement..

Apologies, it wasn't aimed at you, but at the person who suggested Paul Warne, forgive me

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 13:36 - Apr 21 with 614 viewschrismakin

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 13:35 - Apr 21 by itfcpaul

Apologies, it wasn't aimed at you, but at the person who suggested Paul Warne, forgive me

Im baffled by that post, In fact, I think his Norwich glasses are showing with that comment

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 13:37 - Apr 21 with 608 viewsKeaneish

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:07 - Apr 21 by PJH

A slight difference is that when MM arrived at Cardiff they were nowhere near the playoffs but his 24 points from 10 games got them thinking that the playoffs were possible.

Cook arrived here with us within touching distance of the playoffs and with a relatively easy fixture list. With 4 of those 'easy' fixtures left we are a long way from the playoffs.

Of course, if Cook had had a 24 points from 10 games start here we would be still chasing automatic.

I don't disagree but Cook hasn't inherited a squad that reached the play-offs the previous season, quite the opposite. That is the fundamental difference.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 13:38 - Apr 21 with 606 viewschrismakin

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 13:37 - Apr 21 by Keaneish

I don't disagree but Cook hasn't inherited a squad that reached the play-offs the previous season, quite the opposite. That is the fundamental difference.

We also don't contain players who were purchased for £10 mill.

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 14:17 - Apr 21 with 582 viewsPJH

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 13:38 - Apr 21 by chrismakin

We also don't contain players who were purchased for £10 mill.

or play against teams with above League One ability.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024