Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook 21:24 - Apr 20 with 7012 viewsTieDyedIn95

I have been a big supporter of Paul Cook coming here and he's had 100% of my backing since he arrived but like others (and even more moderate posters) have suggested the team morale and overall performance, shape, instruction have dipped to so many new lows since his arrival I am also getting genuinely concerned.

I understand the players have downed tools, but why aren't we trying out more of the squad? Why aren't we using a system that suits what we have, if we are just going to use what we have? What I will say is it's clear the players do not rate Cook and have taken to him as warmly as they did to Paul Hurst and that is worrying for me. I am not someone who over rates this squad by any means, but we should have enough in us to beat Rochdale, Wimbledon, Wigan, Northampton and so on. We beat the piss poor teams last season in most cases without even breaking a sweat and we were a mid-table side then. So what has happened?

So I am going to say we're in a weird position of taking a gamble of continuing on with Paul Cook next season. I know many are calling for a complete squad over haul but that approach rarely works either. If we go too radical like we did under Hurst we could end up getting relegated. Cook is trading off his reputation with Pompey and Wigan here, which is the only reason we should keep him because what we've seen from him so far is a lot of shouting, animation but a complete regression in footballing terms. Paul Lambert would have done better had he stayed on, not saying he should have, but hew knew the squad and its limitations and they were poorer than what most supporters believed they were. Cook took none of what Lambert did on board, or even Gill who was there and has pushed to adopt his own system as quickly as possible, also likely on the assumption that Lambert was the sole issue.

The idea that he's going to recruit 15 odd players in the summer from this league and lower and suddenly walk this league is not realistic. Yeah, some of the old guard have to go, some of the injury prone and that lot have to go but players like your Nydhams, Kenlocks, Bishops, Downes, Wolfies and even to some extent Edwards and even dare I say it... Judge should easily be able to manage football in this league with some good recruitment around them. All of the strikers have been bad, except Norwood when he is fit but he's a liability for the club in other ways that we can probably do better there.

I just don't know if it's just the players after this many games. We have been absolutely awful. We've been told it will be better next season so many times before when the writings been on the wall that it has to be stupid to ignore what we have seen.

Cook out? I don't know. My heart says no, but my head is telling me that maybe it is a risk to keep him on after the end of this season.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:26 - Apr 20 with 3216 viewschrismakin

"I understand the players have downed tools, but why aren't we trying out more of the squad? Why aren't we using a system that suits what we have,"

Erm, we did play a system and it didn't work
he's used alot of the squad

apart from that...............

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:26 - Apr 20 with 3202 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

It isn't a gamble. If we sacked Paul Cook, we would not get anyone better. His record speaks for itself. If he buys players who work with his system, which he will in the summer.

We Will Be Fine. I am so confident of that

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:28 - Apr 20 with 3161 viewsTieDyedIn95

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:26 - Apr 20 by chrismakin

"I understand the players have downed tools, but why aren't we trying out more of the squad? Why aren't we using a system that suits what we have,"

Erm, we did play a system and it didn't work
he's used alot of the squad

apart from that...............

What about some more of the U23's and the excellent U18's we now have on the books? Surely you'd try them over Drinnan and serial failure Sears?

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:30 - Apr 20 with 3116 viewschrismakin

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:28 - Apr 20 by TieDyedIn95

What about some more of the U23's and the excellent U18's we now have on the books? Surely you'd try them over Drinnan and serial failure Sears?

like who?

Dobra is from the u23s, and tonight showed why he's been on the fringes rather than starting, he was awful

there aren't many banging on the door
we saw Gibbs get bullied against Charlton.. McGavin can't play

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:31 - Apr 20 with 3112 viewsTieDyedIn95

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:26 - Apr 20 by TRUE_BLUE123

It isn't a gamble. If we sacked Paul Cook, we would not get anyone better. His record speaks for itself. If he buys players who work with his system, which he will in the summer.

We Will Be Fine. I am so confident of that

But we've been told this 100 times before and it ahs not been fine, it has just got worse.

The assumption that Cook can recruit an entire team of promotion quality players in a single summer is unrealistic. What aspect of our game got better since he arrived? What we have seen has been terrible, even under Lambert in the Championship we at least looked a little like we wanted to win a few games, just lacked any ability to do so. I haven't seen anything close to that under Cook and as I said I am usually in the more-time brigade but I have seen this so often now, I think maybe, we should look at the results instead for a change.

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:33 - Apr 20 with 3077 viewschrismakin

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:31 - Apr 20 by TieDyedIn95

But we've been told this 100 times before and it ahs not been fine, it has just got worse.

The assumption that Cook can recruit an entire team of promotion quality players in a single summer is unrealistic. What aspect of our game got better since he arrived? What we have seen has been terrible, even under Lambert in the Championship we at least looked a little like we wanted to win a few games, just lacked any ability to do so. I haven't seen anything close to that under Cook and as I said I am usually in the more-time brigade but I have seen this so often now, I think maybe, we should look at the results instead for a change.

why is it unrealistic? Lincoln had a massive turnover

PC also did the same at Wigan and Portsmouth, turned over the squad in his first summer window.

This is why PC should be trusted, HE'S done it before, and at this level

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:33 - Apr 20 with 3075 viewsHARRY10

Cook stays

He will be one if many brought in to clear up the sorry mess that Evans put us into.

Who should go is the gutless crawlers on here who endlessly bleated out that we should be eternally grateful for Evans and the money 'he pumped in' on a daily basis if you were to believe some.

We need to not only give the new regime time. but our full support.
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:35 - Apr 20 with 3045 viewsTieDyedIn95

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:30 - Apr 20 by chrismakin

like who?

Dobra is from the u23s, and tonight showed why he's been on the fringes rather than starting, he was awful

there aren't many banging on the door
we saw Gibbs get bullied against Charlton.. McGavin can't play

While I agree on Dobra the 23's are 2nd in their League and the 18's have progressed in the Cup. There has to be a handful of lads worth giving a try over people who have downed tools.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 21:36]

Login to get fewer ads

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:36 - Apr 20 with 3013 viewsGarv

Why?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:37 - Apr 20 with 2994 viewsRedX

No offence, but have you gone completely mad?

Take a look at the bigger picture and get grip.
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:38 - Apr 20 with 2972 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

He has literally done it before.

I was in the other camp, I wanted Lambert gone in the relegation season.

Im delighted Paul Cook is here and I would be gutted if he went..Gutted

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:39 - Apr 20 with 2956 viewsitfctilidie

It's not unrealistic though is it. Lincoln managed to recruit a whole new squad last summer on a lot lower budget than Cook will have.
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:44 - Apr 20 with 2890 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Being good in what is effectively youth football doesn’t mean that they can make the step up. I don’t think it would be fair on those guys to throw them in to a team that is totally devoid of confidence. We just have to let this season play out I’m afraid.

Poll: Our final position

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:44 - Apr 20 with 2884 viewsRedX

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:39 - Apr 20 by itfctilidie

It's not unrealistic though is it. Lincoln managed to recruit a whole new squad last summer on a lot lower budget than Cook will have.

[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 21:45]
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:45 - Apr 20 with 2864 viewscressi

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:39 - Apr 20 by itfctilidie

In Holland clubs have a complete rebuild most summers except the top 3 or 4 clubs
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:54 - Apr 20 with 2799 viewsitfcjoe

If this was a proper business, Cook would effectively be re-interviewing for his job against other candidates for the new owners.

Him being in position shouldn't mean much

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:57 - Apr 20 with 2750 viewschrismakin

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:54 - Apr 20 by itfcjoe

If this was a proper business, Cook would effectively be re-interviewing for his job against other candidates for the new owners.

And if so

Hi, here's my CV, I have various years of experience of promotion from this league, I did however have to go in and replace the squads already in place as they weren't good enough, so you can trust me to make the best useage of your funds and have confidence that we can get promotion next season.

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 22:51 - Apr 20 with 2633 viewsEireannach_gorm

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:54 - Apr 20 by itfcjoe

What other candidates would that be?
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 22:54 - Apr 20 with 2610 viewsitfcjoe

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 22:51 - Apr 20 by Eireannach_gorm

What other candidates would that be?

There are more managers in the world than Paul Cook

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 23:30 - Apr 20 with 2557 viewsJ2BLUE

Cook with his own squad is a different prospect and something i'm looking forward to. Is it wrong to raise some doubts though? Of course not. I have been disappointed Cook hasn't got more out of this lot. Really we should be in the play offs. Although i'm prepared to give Cook plenty of leeway I don't think this was free hit territory. I expected more.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 00:00 - Apr 21 with 2490 viewsMatt_Netherlands

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 23:30 - Apr 20 by J2BLUE

Cook with his own squad is a different prospect and something i'm looking forward to. Is it wrong to raise some doubts though? Of course not. I have been disappointed Cook hasn't got more out of this lot. Really we should be in the play offs. Although i'm prepared to give Cook plenty of leeway I don't think this was free hit territory. I expected more.

Agree that his own squad is different. Is he known as shrewd in the transfer market?

Also, should we be concerned if Richardson doesn’t come on board? Lots of people raised concerns when Culverhouse didn’t join Lambert here and that will always be one of the biggest unknowns from his tenure here (I.e. would we have performed better with him as number two)
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 00:09 - Apr 21 with 2483 viewspointofblue

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 00:00 - Apr 21 by Matt_Netherlands

Agree that his own squad is different. Is he known as shrewd in the transfer market?

Also, should we be concerned if Richardson doesn’t come on board? Lots of people raised concerns when Culverhouse didn’t join Lambert here and that will always be one of the biggest unknowns from his tenure here (I.e. would we have performed better with him as number two)

The only thing is assistants can work both ways - remember when we thought it was important for Doig to join Hurst? In hindsight he might have been better off without him.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 0:10]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 08:14 - Apr 21 with 2283 viewsStewart27

You had a point until you mentioned the players names.

I then remembered how awful they are.

Bishop - how many goals and assists in x amount of years with x amount of managers?
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 08:20 - Apr 21 with 2254 viewsITFC_Forever

It happens all the time at this level.

For most L1 / L2 clubs, contracts are much shorter and there's a higher churn of players at most clubs.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 08:32 - Apr 21 with 2213 viewsStokieBlue

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 22:54 - Apr 20 by itfcjoe

There are more managers in the world than Paul Cook

Weren't you very pro-Cook previously?

Seems harsh to be so negative (on other threads) about him given he's inherited an absolute mess. It's been poor, nobody can disagree on that but he doesn't have the tools he wants. It's like hiring a carpenter and then saying you can't get any wood for 3 months so use that existing pile of bricks over there.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024