Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up 21:26 - Apr 20 with 1468 viewsCoco

the chance of promotion and game at Wembley?

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 21:31 - Apr 20 with 1432 viewsGarv

Players don't down tools according to Paul Anderson. Sounds naive to me.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 21:33 - Apr 20 with 1404 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'm not convinced about this downing tools narrative that's become popular on here as an accepted fact. I didn't see tonight's match, but others recently have been very similar to the rest of the season. There has been plenty of huff and puff and running around, but not much direction and clear idea of what we're trying to do. I was highly critical of Lambert for not instilling a clear style, so it would be unfair not to say that the manager/coaching team share part of the blame still.

Obviously there are individual errors galore and we lack the quality to make the right decisions and execute them in many cases. But that's just a lack of skill, not necessarily effort.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 21:34 - Apr 20 with 1393 viewsKropotkin123

It's been well documented here in the past (eg Supple or Wellens) and elsewhere (eg Savage) that sometimes players and groups of players simply don't care. You and I may come up with rational reasons why they could or should, but unfortunately that doesn't change that they don't.

The simple reason they might not care is they believe they have more of a chance of being here in this division than if we got promoted. Or they believe they won't be here next season either way.

I recently joined a new company, and I'm relocating to Canada in the near future. It couldn't care less what the incentives are for me to perform well. I'm polite, cordial and not taking the Mick. But I'm certainly not busting a gut.

To most, this is a job and they are likely thinking of were they will be next season.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 21:36]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 21:43 - Apr 20 with 1333 viewsdavblue

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 21:33 - Apr 20 by Swansea_Blue

I'm not convinced about this downing tools narrative that's become popular on here as an accepted fact. I didn't see tonight's match, but others recently have been very similar to the rest of the season. There has been plenty of huff and puff and running around, but not much direction and clear idea of what we're trying to do. I was highly critical of Lambert for not instilling a clear style, so it would be unfair not to say that the manager/coaching team share part of the blame still.

Obviously there are individual errors galore and we lack the quality to make the right decisions and execute them in many cases. But that's just a lack of skill, not necessarily effort.

Yeah it’s not a total lack of effort. Could they do more yes but they are trying.

They just a totally shot to pieces confidence wise and it’s obvious there’s a really bad culture at the club.l that’s going to take some overhauling.

At least we don’t have Evans is charge this summer.
What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 21:52 - Apr 20 with 1298 viewsSTYG

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 21:43 - Apr 20 by davblue

Yeah it’s not a total lack of effort. Could they do more yes but they are trying.

They just a totally shot to pieces confidence wise and it’s obvious there’s a really bad culture at the club.l that’s going to take some overhauling.

At least we don’t have Evans is charge this summer.

Are they trying? They are passing the ball. That's it.

Nothing that will get any of them hurt. Nobody is making a gut busting run. Nobody is crunching into a tackle. Nobody is diving in where it hurts to get on the end of a cross.

Every single one of them looks like they are worried they might be gone and they don't want to get injured and risk being without a club.

The evidence is there. They are capable of doing all the things that won't get them hurt and none of the bits that will. It's quite clear what they are doing.
What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 22:00 - Apr 20 with 1255 viewsKropotkin123

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 21:52 - Apr 20 by STYG

Nothing that will get any of them hurt. Nobody is making a gut busting run. Nobody is crunching into a tackle. Nobody is diving in where it hurts to get on the end of a cross.

Every single one of them looks like they are worried they might be gone and they don't want to get injured and risk being without a club.

The evidence is there. They are capable of doing all the things that won't get them hurt and none of the bits that will. It's quite clear what they are doing.

I think the third paragraph is spot on, self preservation rather than bad people.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 22:02 - Apr 20 with 1252 viewsBluedandy

The notion of downing tools has become a ridiculous, childish cliche to justify total footballing incompetence.

You think if this Town team deigned to pick up a hammer and chisel we'd be in the Premier League?

Come off it ... these players lost tonight because collectively they are a hopeless technical outfit.
What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 22:07 - Apr 20 with 1223 viewsSTYG

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 22:00 - Apr 20 by Kropotkin123

I think the third paragraph is spot on, self preservation rather than bad people.

The McGuiness to Dozzell pass summed it up. Have watched it several times.

The pass was a yard in front of Andre. He didn't know who was behind him, whether a challenge was coming, so he makes no effort to receive the ball. He just leaves it. That was apparent all night. Our players took the ball when they could see they were in space. Whenever they couldn't be sure, they were leaving it and then turning afterwards instead of just taking the ball like any normal player would.

Then when he realises nobody is there he doesn't go for the ball, chase it down. He just turns and jog.

Once you realise the players are just trying not to get injured for a new club everything makes sense. How they receive the ball, when they lay the ball off, when they stop dribbling, when they stop their runs. It all fits.

It's blindingly obvious.
Login to get fewer ads

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 22:14 - Apr 20 with 1192 viewsdavblue

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 21:52 - Apr 20 by STYG

“Yeah it’s not a total lack of effort. Could they do more yes but they are trying.“
What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 22:17 - Apr 20 with 1159 viewsSTYG

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 22:14 - Apr 20 by davblue

“Yeah it’s not a total lack of effort. Could they do more yes but they are trying.“

They aren't trying.

They are giving the illusion that they are trying. Passing it. Running with it. Until any kind of physical contact could be imminent and they dump the ball off anywhere.

We look like a netball team.
What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 22:20 - Apr 20 with 1145 viewsArnieM

What kind of players downs tools ? I’ll tell you . It’s this bunch of Tossas at this club right now .

They’re LOSERS individually and collectively.

It’s not just over 12 games - it’s been THREE YEARS!

This squad has failed under Three managers . So I’d ig it players of the managers ?

It’s THE PLAYERS ... they are LOSERS snd none of them have a future at ITFC .

I’d sack the f Viking lot of them TONIGHT !

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 08:16 - Apr 21 with 1031 viewsKropotkin123

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 22:07 - Apr 20 by STYG

The McGuiness to Dozzell pass summed it up. Have watched it several times.

The pass was a yard in front of Andre. He didn't know who was behind him, whether a challenge was coming, so he makes no effort to receive the ball. He just leaves it. That was apparent all night. Our players took the ball when they could see they were in space. Whenever they couldn't be sure, they were leaving it and then turning afterwards instead of just taking the ball like any normal player would.

Then when he realises nobody is there he doesn't go for the ball, chase it down. He just turns and jog.

Once you realise the players are just trying not to get injured for a new club everything makes sense. How they receive the ball, when they lay the ball off, when they stop dribbling, when they stop their runs. It all fits.

It's blindingly obvious.

Yeah, and honestly, I don't blame them. They want to preserve their livelihoods, their future income. From my own self interest, I have different thought that I won't repeat in polite company. But from their perspective, it makes sense and I can't hold a grudge.

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 08:19 - Apr 21 with 1009 viewsjayessess

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 08:16 - Apr 21 by Kropotkin123

Yeah, and honestly, I don't blame them. They want to preserve their livelihoods, their future income. From my own self interest, I have different thought that I won't repeat in polite company. But from their perspective, it makes sense and I can't hold a grudge.

Who do you think it "preserving their livelihood" by playing like this?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 08:22 - Apr 21 with 996 viewsKropotkin123

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 08:19 - Apr 21 by jayessess

Who do you think it "preserving their livelihood" by playing like this?

Pretty much every one of them to varying degrees.

Who do you not believe this is true for?

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 08:29 - Apr 21 with 968 viewsBobbychase

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 22:17 - Apr 20 by STYG

They aren't trying.

They are giving the illusion that they are trying. Passing it. Running with it. Until any kind of physical contact could be imminent and they dump the ball off anywhere.

We look like a netball team.

We play cowardly football. Watch the last five minutes from last night again.

We win a couple of corners, both of which are taken short and then knocked around the edge of the box or halfway inside the Northampton half.

We're 3-0 down, just fling the ball into the box
Hmmm, but it might not beat the first man and then I'll look bad. Best pass the back
Ok then you, who received the short corner, you cross it.
Hmmm, I could. But there's a man free on the edge of the box. I'll let him make the mistake.
RIGHT. You on the edge of the box, have a shot or play a one-two, do something, anything!
Hmmm, I could. But I've just spotted there is a man free on the left. He can have it and try and cross, then if it doesn't come off it's not my fault.

Rinse and repeat

Which is why

A) We have stopped scoring and
B) We are incredibly easy to hold a lead against

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 08:43 - Apr 21 with 945 viewsArnoldMoorhen

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 08:29 - Apr 21 by Bobbychase

We play cowardly football. Watch the last five minutes from last night again.

We win a couple of corners, both of which are taken short and then knocked around the edge of the box or halfway inside the Northampton half.

We're 3-0 down, just fling the ball into the box
Hmmm, but it might not beat the first man and then I'll look bad. Best pass the back
Ok then you, who received the short corner, you cross it.
Hmmm, I could. But there's a man free on the edge of the box. I'll let him make the mistake.
RIGHT. You on the edge of the box, have a shot or play a one-two, do something, anything!
Hmmm, I could. But I've just spotted there is a man free on the left. He can have it and try and cross, then if it doesn't come off it's not my fault.

Rinse and repeat

Which is why

A) We have stopped scoring and
B) We are incredibly easy to hold a lead against

Yes, this. Fear of failure, passing the buck. That's what accounts for the lack of shots on target for months (well, actually, years) well before Paul Cook was here. Also what accounts for the same bunch of players playing without fear under a Caretaker Manager.
What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 09:10 - Apr 21 with 908 viewsWallingford_Boy

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 22:02 - Apr 20 by Bluedandy

The notion of downing tools has become a ridiculous, childish cliche to justify total footballing incompetence.

You think if this Town team deigned to pick up a hammer and chisel we'd be in the Premier League?

Come off it ... these players lost tonight because collectively they are a hopeless technical outfit.

Nope, they've given up.

Did you see the clip of McGuinness passing to Dozzell, it wasn't straight to feet and Dozzell stops to have a go at him, as Northampton break on goal!!

THAT'S what fans mean by "downing tools".

I know Dozzell has a lazy style, much like his dad, but the difference is, ANDRE IS LAZY.

RIP Sir Bobby

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 09:45 - Apr 21 with 880 viewsjayessess

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 08:22 - Apr 21 by Kropotkin123

Pretty much every one of them to varying degrees.

Who do you not believe this is true for?

I don't believe that playing badly against Northampton will preserve anyone's livelihood. The contrary is true.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

What sort of footballer downs tools and gives up on 09:49 - Apr 21 with 855 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Ones that know that no matter what they do, big money new owners means their time here is done.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024