Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. 00:02 - Apr 21 with 4263 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Has less to do with Cook, and everything to do with the fact that they don't care.
7th, 2 points off it, and still couldn't be bothered to break out of a walking pace against the leagues worst sides.

Most don't care if we win lose or draw and this has been a hallmark of this club under Evans, and it remains, and will remain until this squad and many of the staff are cleared out. Many former players, and loan players have alluded to the same, Ipswich has become a safe place to come and play your football, without fear of reprisal.

The club is rotten, it has been for at least 12 years, anyone not seeing this, does not understand what Evans has done to us.

Binning Cook off now, without the chance to fix the state of the club, does us no good. If we do that, we might as well get Evans back in.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:04 - Apr 21 with 3559 viewsHARRY10

spot on
The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:08 - Apr 21 with 3537 viewspointofblue

Hate this as I feel it’s a weak excuse and a cop out - if the players don’t care it’s down to the manager to get them motivated.

ETA: But we need to give Cook the summer.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 0:08]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:10 - Apr 21 with 3522 viewsCheltenham_Blue

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:08 - Apr 21 by pointofblue

Hate this as I feel it’s a weak excuse and a cop out - if the players don’t care it’s down to the manager to get them motivated.

"We need to give cook until the summer", but still down arrowed?

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:16 - Apr 21 with 3501 viewshave_a_word_with_him

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:08 - Apr 21 by pointofblue

bs. these players are a rotten bunch, how many more managers until you realise that.
The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:21 - Apr 21 with 3474 viewspointofblue

I don’t think it’s down to the players not caring - I think it’s down to a lack of motivation and confidence. That has to come from the top. I think our younger players are feeling overwhelmed and our experienced players have gone onto self-preservation mode alongside a manager who cannot or doesn’t care about getting them to play for him. Either way it’s not a good look.

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:22 - Apr 21 with 3467 viewspointofblue

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:10 - Apr 21 by Cheltenham_Blue

"We need to give cook until the summer", but still down arrowed?

Yes, because I disagree with your point that the players don’t care.

ETA - my reply above should have been posted on another thread but can’t be bothered to move it now.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 0:24]

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:27 - Apr 21 with 3452 viewsCheltenham_Blue

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:22 - Apr 21 by pointofblue

ETA - my reply above should have been posted on another thread but can’t be bothered to move it now.

If you watch nothing else, watch Dozzell's reaction.

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:27 - Apr 21 with 3437 viewsbournemouthblue

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:22 - Apr 21 by pointofblue

It was very strange when Cook came in, it was almost like they knew their time was up
I suspect others have already been talking with other clubs, they may have already formally agreed contracts who knows

The behaviour has been bizarre from the players

I don't think it has worked with Cook for this squad though, maybe he has been too big a culture shock for a lot of them

He still seems to be experimenting with various line ups

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Login to get fewer ads

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:45 - Apr 21 with 3400 viewspointofblue

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:27 - Apr 21 by bournemouthblue

It was very strange when Cook came in, it was almost like they knew their time was up
I suspect others have already been talking with other clubs, they may have already formally agreed contracts who knows

The behaviour has been bizarre from the players

I don't think it has worked with Cook for this squad though, maybe he has been too big a culture shock for a lot of them

He still seems to be experimenting with various line ups

I don’t think Cook is someone who likes handling someone else’s squad. He knows who he likes and the kind of characters he likes to manage. They have to fit a certain image and, if they don’t, he hasn’t a clue how to handle them. I don’t think we have enough players that Cook favours and therefore he’s struggling to set a standard and get them to all pull in the same direction.

My biggest concern is the regression over recent games - in our end run under Lambert and Gill, I’ll go from our Covid return onwards, our record was P12 W5 D3 L4 F12 A10 PTS 18. We were relatively tight at the back, Swindon aside, and used set pieces to score. Now our set pieces are dreadful both defensively and offensively and we’re leaking like a sieve far too often. It feels like we’ve abandoned even the parts of the game that worked for us. Just for the record, under Cook P12 W2 D4 L5 F6 A15 PTS 10.

It could be Cook got caught in two minds whether to push with our strengths or try and install his methods into the squad early, resulting in a complete mess where players are struggling to understand what is wanted of them. It could be they’re playing with fear because Cook is more of a Hurst/Keane than a Royle/McCarthy in the post match interview stakes. It could be because they’re not fit enough to the previous regime’s lack of appreciation of sports science. Whatever it is, I don’t think the sole interpretation can be the players do not care enough.

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:56 - Apr 21 with 3381 viewsMercian

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:27 - Apr 21 by Cheltenham_Blue

Dozzell is awful in this clip. McGuinness obviously does not give a f**k but he seems more interested in telling him that rather than fighting for the ball. I've had it with him. He has had enough time after his injury to establish himself but he has wasted it. He should go to a more suitable club, Yeovil Town for example.
The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 02:37 - Apr 21 with 3298 viewsIllinoisblue

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:21 - Apr 21 by pointofblue

I don’t think it’s down to the players not caring - I think it’s down to a lack of motivation and confidence. That has to come from the top. I think our younger players are feeling overwhelmed and our experienced players have gone onto self-preservation mode alongside a manager who cannot or doesn’t care about getting them to play for him. Either way it’s not a good look.

Isn’t lack of motivation the same as not caring ?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 05:55 - Apr 21 with 3136 viewsHullblue

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:56 - Apr 21 by Mercian

Dozzell is awful in this clip. McGuinness obviously does not give a f**k but he seems more interested in telling him that rather than fighting for the ball. I've had it with him. He has had enough time after his injury to establish himself but he has wasted it. He should go to a more suitable club, Yeovil Town for example.

He was our best player last night.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 06:06 - Apr 21 with 3101 viewssolomon

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:21 - Apr 21 by pointofblue

Trouble is, in our barrel the rotten apples outnumber the good ones.
The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 06:51 - Apr 21 with 2940 viewsJ4ck22

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 05:55 - Apr 21 by Hullblue

Do you realise how low of a bar that is?
The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 07:02 - Apr 21 with 2890 viewsChurchman

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:45 - Apr 21 by pointofblue

I don’t think Cook is someone who likes handling someone else’s squad. He knows who he likes and the kind of characters he likes to manage. They have to fit a certain image and, if they don’t, he hasn’t a clue how to handle them. I don’t think we have enough players that Cook favours and therefore he’s struggling to set a standard and get them to all pull in the same direction.

My biggest concern is the regression over recent games - in our end run under Lambert and Gill, I’ll go from our Covid return onwards, our record was P12 W5 D3 L4 F12 A10 PTS 18. We were relatively tight at the back, Swindon aside, and used set pieces to score. Now our set pieces are dreadful both defensively and offensively and we’re leaking like a sieve far too often. It feels like we’ve abandoned even the parts of the game that worked for us. Just for the record, under Cook P12 W2 D4 L5 F6 A15 PTS 10.

It could be Cook got caught in two minds whether to push with our strengths or try and install his methods into the squad early, resulting in a complete mess where players are struggling to understand what is wanted of them. It could be they’re playing with fear because Cook is more of a Hurst/Keane than a Royle/McCarthy in the post match interview stakes. It could be because they’re not fit enough to the previous regime’s lack of appreciation of sports science. Whatever it is, I don’t think the sole interpretation can be the players do not care enough.

So our strength is that if we play a 10-0-0 formation, we might get a 0-0 or steal a win. In League One. Great. As for calling it a ‘run’, three scraped wins, one against ten men who gave us the runaround with those ten men. That’s about as meaningless as me saying that Cook’s team is unbeaten at home.

What our players are was amply demonstrated in Cook’s first game. Organised, fitter and hungrier, Gillingham beat them out of sight and back again. It wouldn’t have mattered who the manager was, they’d still have lost on that day. Where I agree is that not caring enough isn’t the sole reason. Many of the players clearly don’t want to be here, but they are also physically unfit and in some cases, plain poor.

It’s a miracle they managed to collect a few points at the seasons start before the other teams like Blackpool for example got their act together fitness wise and cohesively. That lot are relegation fodder. Easy meat.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 7:10]
The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 07:32 - Apr 21 with 2695 viewsnoggin

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 05:55 - Apr 21 by Hullblue

No, he really wasn't.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 07:54 - Apr 21 with 2604 viewsBobbychase

Compare the McGuinness of the Arsenal game in the EFL Trophy, the game that made Lambert decide to sign him, when he won everything in the air and was an absolute beast, to the way he played last night.

He knows he won't be here next season, and is saving his legs.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 07:58 - Apr 21 with 2572 viewsZXBlue

Undoubtedly that reaction was poor. We were already doomed at that point and I understand it. He had worked hard all game. Not good enough, but understandable.

He wasnt our best player though. That was probably Edwards with credit also to the full backs.
The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 08:09 - Apr 21 with 2502 viewsStewart27

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 00:27 - Apr 21 by Cheltenham_Blue

That’s the worst thing I’ve ever seen on a professional football pitch. From both players.
The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 08:12 - Apr 21 with 2479 viewsjayessess

Definitely agree that Cook gets the chance to fix the club in the Summer, but... the last couple of months have been extremely concerning.

It's relatively rare that managers start this badly and then later find a formula that works. It's worrying that we're worse than we were under Lambert (and we are definitely worse). It's worrying that he's not been able to instil any tactical improvements at all, that we're worse at set pieces, that the mentality has visibly deteriorated over the past few weeks.

And, I simply don't buy the idea that the players have "downed tools", I really don't. I watched Kane Vincent-Young last night get infected with the exact same negativity as everyone else. Same conservatism in his positioning, decision-making and passing as everyone else, even when we were 2-0 down. Is he checked out too? They're all in a dreadful place, as individuals and as a collective and yes, that does reflect on Cook a bit.

Cook's record elsewhere leaves me hopeful that when he gets his own players in and when he gives whoever remains from our present squad a good pre-season, then the results will be totally different. But there are definitely concerning signs here and we shouldn't pretend otherwise.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 08:18 - Apr 21 with 2444 viewstractorboy1978

Imagine if your whole work place bar two or three knew they were being made redundant in a couple of months. Do you think it would more or less productive?
The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 08:30 - Apr 21 with 2386 viewsitfcjoe

A managers first job is to get more out of what they inherit than the previous manager was getting. Those that don't do that in the first instance seldom get the chance to build their own squad, most who get that chance have earned it.

All things being equal*, Cook will get the summer and rightly so - but he is eating up so much goodwill with the fanbase and is piling so much pressure on himself to hit the ground running next year.

To put things in perspective, if in the first 12 games Cook had the very average record of W4, D4, L4 then we would be sitting in the play off positions - bearing in mind the teams we have come up against - that he hasn't even managed to get that out of the squad it's not difficult to see why some have concerns with what he is doing here, and why he is struggling (i.e. no Leam Richardson)

At some point, it becomes blind faith if you give a manager a free hit to fail

*New ownership is simply something we can't predict what they will do

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 08:35 - Apr 21 with 2355 viewsHullblue

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 06:51 - Apr 21 by J4ck22

Do you realise how low of a bar that is?

True, but I just think it’s weird that he gets all the stick. He was much better than Downes, for instance, last night and on Saturday, but people dig Andre out time and time again. I think people need to ask themselves why that is.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 08:35 - Apr 21 with 2350 viewsitfcpaul

They don't give a toss

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 08:43 - Apr 21 with 2303 viewsManchesterblue

The reason Cook couldn't get anything out of these lot. on 08:09 - Apr 21 by Stewart27

That’s the worst thing I’ve ever seen on a professional football pitch. From both players.

Did you see Douglas kick the ball into his own face ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024