Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTD Runners 06:33 - Apr 21 with 641 viewsSwailsey

I’ve been slowly building up my distances over the last few months and I would like to enter a half marathon at some point this year (COVID permitting).

Thing is, I don’t really know where to start. I’ve only ever run on my own and not in a race, so I don’t know how to go about booking one/what are good ones etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the Ipswich/Suffolk area?

Thank you.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

TWTD Runners on 06:38 - Apr 21 with 624 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Couldn’t help you with half-marathon but if I have one suggestion.. do a few parkruns before you do the half marathon.

Just because I find with a lot of people who do their first half-marathon/marathon when there’s a lot of people involved, you subconsciously go too early on the sectionals. Because the environment is a lot of people running together and the intensity and excitement of the event (often crowds etc), causes nervous energy that means people go off just slightly too fast in the opening miles. And it only takes 3 or 4 miles of slightly too fast sectionals and you’ll be in big trouble in the final miles. I would absolutely recommend doing some parkruns in the months beforehand just so you get used to running alongside people in a ‘race’ situation.

Good luck.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

TWTD Runners on 07:04 - Apr 21 with 592 viewsWD19

Make sure you practice up until at least 18km.

Then just try and find a flat one with as little wind as possible......
TWTD Runners on 07:06 - Apr 21 with 583 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Have done most of the local ones - Ipswich, Stowmarket, Colchester, Great Bentley, Bungay and plenty others. I haven’t looked to see which are on this year but it depends what you are looking for really

Ipswich and Colchester are the biggest so will have more people watching, runners etc but come with a premium on the price - Ipswich in particular since becoming a Great Run. The other big advantage of Ipswich is being able to walk there (for me at least), and I suppose finishing inside PR is a nice touch if you’re the sort of person that would count the practice patch as being inside the ground!

Others are more low key and spend most of the time winding through country roads - but still well organised, goody bag/medal and tend to be a lot cheaper, plus a lot more scenic if that’s your thing

Booking process is a piece of p*ss, just find the run and will be links to signup etc and straightforward from there. Also fear not as run organisers are also very good at providing info, so expect to receive something with full details on the event including parking arrangements, timings etc. The bigger ones will also have start zones or groups based on your expected time so you should be running roughly where you’d expect to finish

Finally not a HM but the Ipswich Twilight 10k is also a really good event locally. Again easy to get to, course around the town centre which includes running through PR (back of the South Stand) and held on a Friday night after work which is quite novel for running events and good for getting a beer after etc. However looking at the website it looks like it isn’t scheduled for 2021 due to COVID unfortunately, but thought I’d mention in case you get the bug and are looking for more next year

Good luck!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

TWTD Runners on 07:27 - Apr 21 with 550 viewsSwailsey

Lots of good stuff to work with here, thanks all!

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

TWTD Runners on 16:37 - Apr 21 with 442 viewsSwailsey

Have signed up to one now - thanks TWTD!

TWTD Runners on 16:40 - Apr 21 with 434 viewspositivity

TWTD Runners on 07:04 - Apr 21 by WD19

Make sure you practice up until at least 18km.

Then just try and find a flat one with as little wind as possible......

flat and not too windy, that shouldn't be too hard to find in suffolk!

(jealous exile in yorkshire)

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024