Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why are so many people losing their heads? 10:59 - Apr 21 with 3165 viewsportmanking

This is a squad that should, in truth, have been ripped apart 24 months ago. However, due to finances and contracts that's clearly not been possible until now. Do some people really believe that this crop of players - many of whom still have scars from the relegation season - could have got us promoted this year?

Cook was unlucky to be appointed just after sh1thousing our way to those three wins. The victory at Accrington was far from convincing either and I'm certain we'd have lost that without their sending-off.

This club's success and culture has been founded upon giving managers time. When the manager describes what many fans have been saying about this crop of players, surely we have to be pleased that he 'gets it'? This is a man that knows what's required to win promotions. They are littered throughout his CV. It's not a Paul Hurst Mk II. This is a manager that was courted by clubs with Premier League aspirations in the Championship last summer.

To suggest his job is in danger because some of the players have taken umbrage of his open and honest views and demanding more of them physically than Lambert, is frankly absurd. Why would we throw the baby out with the bath water when there is a clear recruitment strategy and investment looming large on the horizon? It makes no sense.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 10:59]
Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:01 - Apr 21 with 1861 viewschrismakin

It's all to do with 'those 3 wins'

Without them, we'd have not been 'just outside playoffs' which tbh we havent deserved to be anywhere near since October.. Had that been the case, PC wouldn't have as many people on his back.

But those 3 games suddenly means ' our squad has proven it can win, so why can't he do more" etc

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:02 - Apr 21 with 1872 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Thats what we do now innit.

Evans at fault - Sack the manager, Club is rotten - Sack the manager, Players have downed tools - Sack the manager, Best manager in the country at this level having had 10 games - Sack the manager.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:04 - Apr 21 with 1867 viewswkj

There is every chance the new owners could well make a new shift on managers in the summer.

Cook has done poorly here so far, denying it would be folly. However, we can't ignore how bound his hands are.

Same players as Lambert but doing worse - well, those players didn't know they would be out of the team in the summer with Lambert. They probably had him hoodwinked as they know Evans wouldn't have the assets for the wholesale changes.

Cook has to come out of the pre season farting diamonds though - if he is still here. People will not be so compelled to 'let the team gel' next season - I certainly wont be.

Unless Cook has some super human belief in his recruitment prospects - he could be forgiven for jumping ship, as jumping ship in the midst of a takeover shift will rarely be a black mark on a manager's career.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:05 - Apr 21 with 1847 viewsportmanking

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:02 - Apr 21 by Cheltenham_Blue

Thats what we do now innit.

Evans at fault - Sack the manager, Club is rotten - Sack the manager, Players have downed tools - Sack the manager, Best manager in the country at this level having had 10 games - Sack the manager.

You're absolutely right. There's this crave for immediate results, even from some of the most respected posters on here. I'm sure Cook would have loved for the existing squad to thrive and embrace his way of playing, but the squad's imbalance is coming to the fore more than ever right now.
Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:05 - Apr 21 with 1820 viewschrismakin

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:04 - Apr 21 by wkj

There is every chance the new owners could well make a new shift on managers in the summer.

Cook has done poorly here so far, denying it would be folly. However, we can't ignore how bound his hands are.

Same players as Lambert but doing worse - well, those players didn't know they would be out of the team in the summer with Lambert. They probably had him hoodwinked as they know Evans wouldn't have the assets for the wholesale changes.

Cook has to come out of the pre season farting diamonds though - if he is still here. People will not be so compelled to 'let the team gel' next season - I certainly wont be.

Unless Cook has some super human belief in his recruitment prospects - he could be forgiven for jumping ship, as jumping ship in the midst of a takeover shift will rarely be a black mark on a manager's career.

"'let the team gel' next season - I certainly wont be."

Say Cook left, how long would you give a new manager?

as for me, Cook in May is just bringing in a new manager...

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:07 - Apr 21 with 1815 viewsportmanking

What on earth?! Cook was Gamechanger's top man too. O'Leary has said as much. Why would he lie and say so if that wasn't the case?

Cook doesn't have to 'fart diamonds' in pre-season. Why is there such a rush for things to suddenly turn? We have new ownership that want to build sustainable, organic success and we're judging the best manager at third tier level on a dozen games with players that are already thinking about their next clubs?! That's what is utter folly.
Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:12 - Apr 21 with 1776 viewsIllinoisblue

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:05 - Apr 21 by portmanking

You're absolutely right. There's this crave for immediate results, even from some of the most respected posters on here. I'm sure Cook would have loved for the existing squad to thrive and embrace his way of playing, but the squad's imbalance is coming to the fore more than ever right now.

There’s an expectation we’d be competitive in Division 3. We’ve fooked it up twice now. That’s why fans are impatient, angry, frustrated etc.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:13 - Apr 21 with 1738 viewschrismakin

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:12 - Apr 21 by Illinoisblue

There’s an expectation we’d be competitive in Division 3. We’ve fooked it up twice now. That’s why fans are impatient, angry, frustrated etc.

But it's clear it's all about the summer and going forwards, it has been for weeks. Everyone just needs to relax and wait.

I've got a bit of a reverse thoughts about the results, in that i'm glad it's not been positive, as it might have meant certain players would get contract extensions where as the truth is, it needs a full clearout.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 11:14]

Login to get fewer ads

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:13 - Apr 21 with 1760 viewsBlueBadger

Basically that - certainly Cook's job has been complicated by the fact that Lambert was sacked far, far too late for him to be able to apply some simple fixes in the January window but he's spectacularly blown his honeymoon with some abysmal results and is betting the entire house on being able to work minor miracles over the summer.

The next transfer window is vital for both us AND him.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:14 - Apr 21 with 1755 viewsjayessess

I don't think anyone is calling for Cook's head. There's simply an acknowledgement that improving and motivating the players already at the club was part of the job and he hasn't done it very well. Doesn't mean he shouldn't get a chance to fix things over the Summer, but it's still concerning. It is very rare that managers start this badly and then go on to thrive.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:15 - Apr 21 with 1740 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:12 - Apr 21 by Illinoisblue

You're right.

The wider question is how, when faced with the same squad that was relegated from the Championship without a whimper, so many were hoodwinked by Evans and Lambert to believe that it,

a. Was the best squad in the league, and,
b. No major surgery was required.

Not once, but twice!!

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:15 - Apr 21 with 1713 viewschrismakin

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:15 - Apr 21 by Cheltenham_Blue

You're right.

The wider question is how, when faced with the same squad that was relegated from the Championship without a whimper, so many were hoodwinked by Evans and Lambert to believe that it,

a. Was the best squad in the league, and,
b. No major surgery was required.

Not once, but twice!!

tbf, most fans had wanted lambert out since we got relegated

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:17 - Apr 21 with 1716 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:15 - Apr 21 by chrismakin

Ignore Lambert.
I'm talking about the squad.

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:17 - Apr 21 with 1712 viewswkj

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:07 - Apr 21 by portmanking

What on earth?! Cook was Gamechanger's top man too. O'Leary has said as much. Why would he lie and say so if that wasn't the case?

Cook doesn't have to 'fart diamonds' in pre-season. Why is there such a rush for things to suddenly turn? We have new ownership that want to build sustainable, organic success and we're judging the best manager at third tier level on a dozen games with players that are already thinking about their next clubs?! That's what is utter folly.

If cook doesn't hit the ground running next season, the fan base have large swafts calling for his departure - and we don't have a clue how trigger happy the new owners will be. They need a ROI on ITFC relatively quickly, so, that is the tightrope we will walk with Cook if he's not out of the gate quickly.

Why would GC change their top man? Again, we don't know what these new owners are like, and we don't know what Mark Ashton is thinking.

Ashton Joined BCFC January 2021
Steve Cotterill was sacked in January 2021 - having got Bristol promoted the season before.

My post wasn't emotive - but a grounded approach toward just how erratic Ashton could be if they don't believe in there man when he arrives. We are dealing with many unknowns, and shouldn't be surprised by anything this summer.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:17 - Apr 21 with 1718 viewsRyorry

If I were in charge of recruitment in any other club in the UK, I'd be putting a big red X through the CV of every single one of our senior squad except maybe Downes & Edwards.

Even if they know for sure they're on their way out, there is such a thing as professional pride, playing to the best of your ability, and playing for the fans. None of our current squad apart from those two (and possibly our GKs, can't comment on them), have done that.

Lack of skill/ability isn't their fault, lack of committment & professionalism is.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:17 - Apr 21 with 1715 viewsBlueBadger

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:07 - Apr 21 by portmanking

No more 'free hits'.

Free hits are how we got this point in the first place.

Right now, its starting to look like he's flailing around in the dark without a clue and is looking for excuses. A bit like Lambert whenever he was under pressure, Cook is trying to remove the heat by blaming those other than himself.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:17 - Apr 21 with 1690 viewschrismakin

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:17 - Apr 21 by Cheltenham_Blue

Ignore Lambert.
I'm talking about the squad.

Oh, on paper, before a ball was kicked at this level, you would be forgiven for thinking it was good enough. but football isn't played on paper.

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:19 - Apr 21 with 1694 viewsBlueBadger

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:15 - Apr 21 by chrismakin

Without wishing to go Full Bluefish, 'most fans' were singing 'Lambo is a blue' and making embarassing banners based around 80's action heroes when we got relegated. The penny only dropped for some as late as November/December.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 11:30]

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:19 - Apr 21 with 1694 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:17 - Apr 21 by chrismakin

Oh, on paper, before a ball was kicked at this level, you would be forgiven for thinking it was good enough. but football isn't played on paper.

OK, if you can use your own arguments instead of paraphrasing Cook.
Theres no way this squad was ever good enough to get out of this league.

And its been accurately displayed twice now.

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:22 - Apr 21 with 1643 viewschrismakin

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:19 - Apr 21 by BlueBadger

Without wishing to go Full Bluefish, 'most fans' were singing 'Lambo is a blue' and making embarassing banners based around 80's action heroes when we got relegated. The penny only dropped for some as late as November/December.

I see that one section of supporters, there were many thousands who would happily have seen him sacked.

Even more so when he got the 5 year contract, still baffles me

I have and will continue to give PC a free period as for me He was brought in to manager from May, that's how I see it. Regardless of the realism being he had 12 or so games to go through first, I'm waiting to see what he does with his own squad

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:24 - Apr 21 with 1639 viewsportmanking

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:17 - Apr 21 by BlueBadger

No more 'free hits'.

Free hits are how we got this point in the first place.

Right now, its starting to look like he's flailing around in the dark without a clue and is looking for excuses. A bit like Lambert whenever he was under pressure, Cook is trying to remove the heat by blaming those other than himself.

How is he flailing around in the dark? He has a set way of playing and very few of the squad can handle with the rigours of it. He's tried compromise is principles and change tac and time and again the same players have let him down.

Of course, there will come a time when Cook must be judged but to start suggesting he's on the back foot now without even having his own foot soldiers to call upon is lunacy IMO.
Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:24 - Apr 21 with 1635 viewsBlueBadger

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:22 - Apr 21 by chrismakin

I see that one section of supporters, there were many thousands who would happily have seen him sacked.

Even more so when he got the 5 year contract, still baffles me

I have and will continue to give PC a free period as for me He was brought in to manager from May, that's how I see it. Regardless of the realism being he had 12 or so games to go through first, I'm waiting to see what he does with his own squad

Bar one or two outliers, people were all about the Lambo.

Hell, we even increased ST sales after the Limpest Relegation Ever.

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:26 - Apr 21 with 1621 viewsportmanking

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:19 - Apr 21 by BlueBadger

Don't you think most of that was out of sheer hope and desperation for something brighter?

The reality has hit most fans now that this squad is imbalanced and lacks the fundamentals for a promotion-winning squad. To use that as a stick to beat Cook with is unfair IMO.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 11:26]
Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:26 - Apr 21 with 1602 viewschrismakin

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:19 - Apr 21 by Cheltenham_Blue

OK, if you can use your own arguments instead of paraphrasing Cook.
Theres no way this squad was ever good enough to get out of this league.

And its been accurately displayed twice now.

On paper it did look good enough

Norwood - Did wonders at Tranmere
Jackson - last season did well, you'd have expected him to do more
Toto - solid league 1 defender
KVY - unfortunate injury
Chambers, experienced
Wilson, Ward, experienced
Downes, Dozzell, Edwards, Bishop. solid, flair league 1 players
Judge, Huws, expect them to do well at this level based on previous level

BUT that's on paper. We do know it's not good enough, it's been made clear, and that's why Lambert got sacked as he either extended contracts, or brought players etc and had 2.5 years with this club. And until 'those 3 wins' we were 16th in the form table since October, so this season was going nowhere anyway

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:28 - Apr 21 with 1593 viewsBlueBadger

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:24 - Apr 21 by portmanking

How is he flailing around in the dark? He has a set way of playing and very few of the squad can handle with the rigours of it. He's tried compromise is principles and change tac and time and again the same players have let him down.

Of course, there will come a time when Cook must be judged but to start suggesting he's on the back foot now without even having his own foot soldiers to call upon is lunacy IMO.

Disclaimer: if next season turns out to be completely different to this, I'm more than happy, I'll be delight in fact, to EAT the following words.

He's changed his formation at least twice(4-3-1-1 to 5-3-2 then back again) and every game seems to see four or more.

Right now, the main change from Lambert is that he's blaming the players rather than the owner and/or bloke before him.

I'm not about to call for his head but it rather strikes me that he's gambling an awful lot on this summer.
Plus, have we as a fanbase STILL not learnt ANYTHING about managers who speak well pre and post match and deliver nothing DURING the match?

That's where my head is at at the moment.

I appreciate that the past 3 years have done a LOT of damage that will take a long time to turn around, but the current round of scapegoating just strikes me as far, far to straightforward and yet another iteration of 'PRP'.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024