Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why are so many people losing their heads? 10:59 - Apr 21 with 3164 viewsportmanking

This is a squad that should, in truth, have been ripped apart 24 months ago. However, due to finances and contracts that's clearly not been possible until now. Do some people really believe that this crop of players - many of whom still have scars from the relegation season - could have got us promoted this year?

Cook was unlucky to be appointed just after sh1thousing our way to those three wins. The victory at Accrington was far from convincing either and I'm certain we'd have lost that without their sending-off.

This club's success and culture has been founded upon giving managers time. When the manager describes what many fans have been saying about this crop of players, surely we have to be pleased that he 'gets it'? This is a man that knows what's required to win promotions. They are littered throughout his CV. It's not a Paul Hurst Mk II. This is a manager that was courted by clubs with Premier League aspirations in the Championship last summer.

To suggest his job is in danger because some of the players have taken umbrage of his open and honest views and demanding more of them physically than Lambert, is frankly absurd. Why would we throw the baby out with the bath water when there is a clear recruitment strategy and investment looming large on the horizon? It makes no sense.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 10:59]
Why are so many people losing their heads? on 13:10 - Apr 21 with 673 viewsChurchman

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 12:03 - Apr 21 by Keaneish

Why paper over the cracks though just to stay in a job? What Cook is doing is exposing bare the gross imbalances in the squad and the frailties in player strength, character and in some cases ability.

The fact that people are questioning him for laying bare what should have been done a long time ago really shouldn't be on Cook. Results have been poor but in reality, so what? Cook has a plan, and its seemingly a lot bigger a job than anyone thought, evidence being the dross those players are conjuring up each game.

The bloke can’t win. He came in and supported the players, arm round them etc and was in return basically given the single finger. He tried different combinations and players from a bloated, unfit squad. They were still out worked and out fought by just about everybody they played. Goal conceded, game over. No fight, no grit and no ability. Great at hiding though. Brilliant at turning out for a game or two before dashing for the treatment table or a red card that’d get them out of the firing line.

Cook lost it after last week's meagre efforts and frankly why not? I don’t blame him. It needed saying. These people, brought in mostly by Lambert and Hurst deserve it. It’s them that have actually thrown him under the bus. They can’t do the basics and that includes keeping themselves fit.

Cook has made only one mistake and that’s coming here. I’d almost fire him for that misjudgement, because what was once just about the best job in football is now one of the worst. He has a really good reputation which he is in danger of wrecking. If I was him, I’d resign on the basis of being misled re the takeover, which he might well have been, and go somewhere decent.

The alternative is to see if the owners are as good as their word and to do what he’s done at a couple of clubs and bring in a new team but this has to be in conjunction alongside the rebuilding of the club’s infrastructure. You can’t do one without the other and the owners have made a start with the latter.

I hope Cook stays and we see a complete change of just about everything at the start of next season. That includes all the senior players. ‘Professionals’ who have offered absolutely nothing.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 13:12]
Why are so many people losing their heads? on 13:13 - Apr 21 with 662 viewschrismakin

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 13:10 - Apr 21 by Churchman

The bloke can’t win. He came in and supported the players, arm round them etc and was in return basically given the single finger. He tried different combinations and players from a bloated, unfit squad. They were still out worked and out fought by just about everybody they played. Goal conceded, game over. No fight, no grit and no ability. Great at hiding though. Brilliant at turning out for a game or two before dashing for the treatment table or a red card that’d get them out of the firing line.

Cook lost it after last week's meagre efforts and frankly why not? I don’t blame him. It needed saying. These people, brought in mostly by Lambert and Hurst deserve it. It’s them that have actually thrown him under the bus. They can’t do the basics and that includes keeping themselves fit.

Cook has made only one mistake and that’s coming here. I’d almost fire him for that misjudgement, because what was once just about the best job in football is now one of the worst. He has a really good reputation which he is in danger of wrecking. If I was him, I’d resign on the basis of being misled re the takeover, which he might well have been, and go somewhere decent.

The alternative is to see if the owners are as good as their word and to do what he’s done at a couple of clubs and bring in a new team but this has to be in conjunction alongside the rebuilding of the club’s infrastructure. You can’t do one without the other and the owners have made a start with the latter.

I hope Cook stays and we see a complete change of just about everything at the start of next season. That includes all the senior players. ‘Professionals’ who have offered absolutely nothing.

If the owners made a change, All the positives from their takeover would immediately be gone as theyd have shown what sort of short term owners they will be

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 13:15 - Apr 21 with 660 viewsBlueNomad

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:14 - Apr 21 by jayessess

I don't think anyone is calling for Cook's head. There's simply an acknowledgement that improving and motivating the players already at the club was part of the job and he hasn't done it very well. Doesn't mean he shouldn't get a chance to fix things over the Summer, but it's still concerning. It is very rare that managers start this badly and then go on to thrive.

Sir Bobby did
Why are so many people losing their heads? on 13:26 - Apr 21 with 638 viewsjayessess

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 13:15 - Apr 21 by BlueNomad

Sir Bobby did

He did not, as has been demonstrated earlier in this thread.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 13:33 - Apr 21 with 625 viewschicoazul

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:05 - Apr 21 by portmanking

You're absolutely right. There's this crave for immediate results, even from some of the most respected posters on here. I'm sure Cook would have loved for the existing squad to thrive and embrace his way of playing, but the squad's imbalance is coming to the fore more than ever right now.

I don’t see the people I presume you refer to craving anything, they’re just disappointed and asking the difficult questions.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 13:35 - Apr 21 with 618 viewsKeaneish

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:14 - Apr 21 by jayessess

I don't think anyone is calling for Cook's head. There's simply an acknowledgement that improving and motivating the players already at the club was part of the job and he hasn't done it very well. Doesn't mean he shouldn't get a chance to fix things over the Summer, but it's still concerning. It is very rare that managers start this badly and then go on to thrive.

...show me something that's based on other than speculation and i'll show you:

- Alex Ferguson (1 game away from the sack (reportedly) if Robbins hadn't scored)
- Rafa Benitez (2 wins in 23)
- Zinedine Zidane (lost 5 of the first 6)
- Bobby Robson (22nd in his first season as manager)
- Antonio Conte (in charge for 4 months and was sacked on -1 pts)
- Arsene Wenger (inconsistent and finished 6pts from the relegation zone)

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 13:57 - Apr 21 with 578 viewsjayessess

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 13:35 - Apr 21 by Keaneish

- Alex Ferguson (1 game away from the sack (reportedly) if Robbins hadn't scored)

None of these are examples of particular managerial reigns that started very badly and ended up being very successful.

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 13:59 - Apr 21 with 575 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 13:35 - Apr 21 by Keaneish

With the exception of Fergie you’ve just listed how a bunch of famous managers performed in their first jobs rather than examples of managers that started badly at a club and then turned things around

Benitez - sacked by Valladolid after that run
Zidane - won 5 of his first 6 as manager of Real Madrid
Robson - then sacked the following season by Fulham
Conte - sacked as you reference
Wenger - quite the spin there on leading Nancy to a respectable mid table finish in Ligue Un, 3 places higher than under his predecessor

Even Ferguson dragged United up the table in his first season and then second the season after, it was only when they then stagnated for a couple of seasons that the famous Robins goal saved him

Obviously there will be examples where reigns have been turned around after a sh*t start but the poster is correct to point out they are rare. Hopefully Cook proves to be one of those anomalies

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 16:25 - Apr 21 with 526 viewsKeaneish

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 13:59 - Apr 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

With the exception of Fergie you’ve just listed how a bunch of famous managers performed in their first jobs rather than examples of managers that started badly at a club and then turned things around

Benitez - sacked by Valladolid after that run
Zidane - won 5 of his first 6 as manager of Real Madrid
Robson - then sacked the following season by Fulham
Conte - sacked as you reference
Wenger - quite the spin there on leading Nancy to a respectable mid table finish in Ligue Un, 3 places higher than under his predecessor

Even Ferguson dragged United up the table in his first season and then second the season after, it was only when they then stagnated for a couple of seasons that the famous Robins goal saved him

Obviously there will be examples where reigns have been turned around after a sh*t start but the poster is correct to point out they are rare. Hopefully Cook proves to be one of those anomalies

Unlike you to find conjecture in something i post...

The OP said "go on to thrive", not specific managerial reigns at specific clubs. All of those managers went on to thrive after bad starts in a professional capacity.

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 16:40 - Apr 21 with 521 viewshaynes_toe1

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 16:25 - Apr 21 by Keaneish

The OP said "go on to thrive", not specific managerial reigns at specific clubs. All of those managers went on to thrive after bad starts in a professional capacity.

Think you're slightly missing the point being made. There's plenty of managers who have done badly somewhere then moved on to do well somewhere else. That's not whats being said.
Why are so many people losing their heads? on 16:42 - Apr 21 with 520 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 13:10 - Apr 21 by Churchman

A perfect post.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 16:50 - Apr 21 with 510 viewsEsseeja

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 11:17 - Apr 21 by BlueBadger

No more 'free hits'.

Free hits are how we got this point in the first place.

Right now, its starting to look like he's flailing around in the dark without a clue and is looking for excuses. A bit like Lambert whenever he was under pressure, Cook is trying to remove the heat by blaming those other than himself.

He has literally blamed himself for the 3-0 loss to Northampton.

Ever since the takeover this forum has just become a mess, this is more constructive criticism than digs at you, even though it may not sound like it, but please, please re-read his interview and re-watch the one on YouTube as well. He does 2 of them.
Why are so many people losing their heads? on 17:05 - Apr 21 with 503 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Eh? The poster was clearly talking about managers starting a job badly and turning things around, not managers that have done a bad job somewhere and then been successful elsewhere. The latter would encompass most managers, quite obviously

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 17:06 - Apr 21 with 502 viewsjayessess

Isn't it obvious what I meant from context? Paul Cook's managerial career started 15 years ago at Southport, why would I be talking about that?

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 17:28 - Apr 21 with 487 viewshappybeingblue

some of the messages calling for cooks head already amazed me last night,its all about next season! like we were really going to reach the play offs anyway,lambert is probably feeling very smug right now but lets face it he was a manager who should never have been appointed in the first place.we were awful under him last season and this season as well,just support paul cook and give him time NEXT SEASON with his own players not these current ones who have clearly downed tools although they are not good enough ability wise to mount a top 6 challenge as has been proved,blimey we got relegated under lambert with a whimper he got applauded off and banners up after achieving nothing! and here are some fans giving our new boss who will change the culture of our football pelters already. PATIENCE is required
Why are so many people losing their heads? on 18:03 - Apr 21 with 464 viewsKeaneish

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 17:06 - Apr 21 by jayessess

Isn't it obvious what I meant from context? Paul Cook's managerial career started 15 years ago at Southport, why would I be talking about that?

Ah OK, I misunderstood. So what you’re actually saying is that managers who manage teams that have a bad run of form rarely turn it around to recover and have a good run of form? Pretty sure that’s inaccurate although Healy will no doubt correct me if I’m wrong, he’s dependable like that.

Carl Robinson is a great example of a manager who is a slow starter but always comes on strong every season. Long story short though, Cook’s position is very different as it is most managers employed late in the season as they get pre-season to sort out what they’ve inherited. I’ve no doubt this conversation will have a very different complexion ten games into the next campaign.

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 18:10 - Apr 21 with 458 viewspointofblue

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 18:03 - Apr 21 by Keaneish

Ah OK, I misunderstood. So what you’re actually saying is that managers who manage teams that have a bad run of form rarely turn it around to recover and have a good run of form? Pretty sure that’s inaccurate although Healy will no doubt correct me if I’m wrong, he’s dependable like that.

Carl Robinson is a great example of a manager who is a slow starter but always comes on strong every season. Long story short though, Cook’s position is very different as it is most managers employed late in the season as they get pre-season to sort out what they’ve inherited. I’ve no doubt this conversation will have a very different complexion ten games into the next campaign.

Cook’s in an odd position in that, in his last two posts, he came in in May after the season has finished and could rip and change straight away rather than having to deal with a squad mid-season. The last time he had to do that was Chesterfield nine years ago and he had a better impact there than he did here, though they were a squad who had just been relegated from League One to League Two.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 18:20 - Apr 21 with 453 viewsjayessess

Why are so many people losing their heads? on 18:03 - Apr 21 by Keaneish

Specifically what's very rare (although I'm sure some examples exist) is for managers to start their time in a particular managerial post with a wretched run of form and then turn it around and have success at that club. It's not uncommon for managers to overcome bad spells but usually only when they've come later on, after they've got a credit in the bank (Ferguson's bad spell at Man U would be an example of that).

The circumstances with Cook are unusual and he certainly shouldn't be sacked on the basis of what he does this season. It is concerning though is all I'm saying.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024