Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Covid in India 12:29 - Apr 21 with 2164 viewsgiant_stow

The guardian just put a tweet from some data journalist on their blog - all mind-blowing. Especially his estimate buried in the htread below than the true number of people dying from covid each day is 17,000.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Covid in India on 12:38 - Apr 21 with 2073 viewsLord_Lucan

If UK had 1000 deaths in a day I cannot see why anyone would be surprised that India had 17,000 deaths a day at the very minimum.

It isn't beyond the wit of man to realise that a vast amount of governments are concealing the true figures.

Although I am relieved to understand that North Korea has had no cases.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Covid in India on 12:46 - Apr 21 with 2026 viewsgiant_stow

Covid in India on 12:38 - Apr 21 by Lord_Lucan

If UK had 1000 deaths in a day I cannot see why anyone would be surprised that India had 17,000 deaths a day at the very minimum.

It isn't beyond the wit of man to realise that a vast amount of governments are concealing the true figures.

Fair point. Its just *such* a huge number in absolute terms, that I find it mind-boggling.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Covid in India on 12:54 - Apr 21 with 1978 viewsStokieBlue

It's awful there at the moment :(.

As I said in a thread to BDS about 2 months ago, the true scale of C19 in places like India will probably only be known from excess death counts and it's entirely possible those will never become available.

The numbers before this wave were miles off according to Indian doctors and this wave is awful - there needs to be a humanitarian effort to get supplies there ASAP, they are running very low on oxygen for instance.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Covid in India on 12:54 - Apr 21 with 1978 viewsNthQldITFC

I had a look at India's reported new cases and deaths over the course of the last 3 or 4 weeks, and the numbers for both go up in a close to perfect exponential growth, as if it was a simple system responding to one driving factor. Seems a little suspicious to me, but I'm no expert. I wonder if they are releasing numbers into the reported system in order to catch up with the true numbers?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Covid in India on 13:03 - Apr 21 with 1936 viewsStokieBlue

Covid in India on 12:54 - Apr 21 by NthQldITFC

I had a look at India's reported new cases and deaths over the course of the last 3 or 4 weeks, and the numbers for both go up in a close to perfect exponential growth, as if it was a simple system responding to one driving factor. Seems a little suspicious to me, but I'm no expert. I wonder if they are releasing numbers into the reported system in order to catch up with the true numbers?

Given that they have been holding festivals without masks or distancing and in general the rules have been lax wouldn't one expect an almost exponential growth given the R of C19?

If they were releasing historic deaths into the system they would have to make some effort to ensure it wasn't "lumpier" and I'm not sure that any civil service is capable of that organisation.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Covid in India on 13:06 - Apr 21 with 1917 viewsWallingford_Boy

As long as the IPL isn't interupted!

I did find it odd that for the recent England games over there, fans were allowed to mix in their thousands without masks.

Now the stadiums are empty again.

Weird huh?

RIP Sir Bobby

Covid in India on 13:12 - Apr 21 with 1880 viewsbournemouthblue

They have over 20 times our population so it's about par for the cause I would think

Their major cities are so heavily populated, the ease of CoVid to spread, would be high

I was amazed they let that England Cricket game go ahead there with 55k people in that new stadium, it seemed like a bad idea and low and behold, they axed fans for the rest of the series
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 14:32]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Covid in India on 13:14 - Apr 21 with 1858 viewsNthQldITFC

Covid in India on 13:03 - Apr 21 by StokieBlue

Given that they have been holding festivals without masks or distancing and in general the rules have been lax wouldn't one expect an almost exponential growth given the R of C19?

If they were releasing historic deaths into the system they would have to make some effort to ensure it wasn't "lumpier" and I'm not sure that any civil service is capable of that organisation.

SB

I suppose that's true, and in itself suggests there's little public response in the sense of self-protection as opposed to imposed lockdown rules. Maybe India is bound to see that given what I assume is a basic social insurance system compared to European nations? Most people have to keep working and interacting in order to eat, but even so, you'd think that there would be some impact of public caution acting as a brake on the R value as the cases and deaths increase.

Login to get fewer ads

Covid in India on 16:48 - Apr 21 with 1672 viewsshady

Shoot the Messenger
This reporter is asking for the fabled red card.

Negligence on a massive scale;
Yes, that’s what happens when PM is more interested
in naming cricket stadium after himself.

Even previous PM wrote in with some humble suggestions but was arrogantly rebuked.

It’s totally irresponsible to say all over 18’s now eligible for vaccine from May 1st.
when there are not enough being produced.
This will create such a mess as disappointed multitudes flock to non-functioning centres.
Incidentally it’s also crazy to have the vaccination centres in Covid hospitals and make people enjoy a couple of hours non-leisurely wait.

Here in Tamil Nadu (so far) deaths are not increasing much.
Easy to verify this as each body is followed by a raucous cortege
with music and fireworks.

One thing I’d noticed in the first wave with the numbers:
It was absolutely amazing how the 37 districts all counted their numbers independently.
However at 7pm when the state figure was released a miraculous total would emerge
…. we had a month of 5,900 new cases (plus or minus 2%)

In our area many more masks now worn, and all rather mature (by Indian standards)
Covid in India on 16:53 - Apr 21 with 1640 viewsElderGrizzly

Covid in India on 12:46 - Apr 21 by giant_stow

Fair point. Its just *such* a huge number in absolute terms, that I find it mind-boggling.

30% of the entire population of Delhi is positive for Covid right now. Extrapolate that across the whole of India and it is an absolute disaster.

100% occupancy in hospitals already, they are out of oxygen and majority of admissions are under 40

Peak is expected in 3 to 4 weeks, so this is just the start too.

[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 16:54]
Covid in India on 16:56 - Apr 21 with 1619 viewsElderGrizzly

Covid in India on 13:14 - Apr 21 by NthQldITFC

I suppose that's true, and in itself suggests there's little public response in the sense of self-protection as opposed to imposed lockdown rules. Maybe India is bound to see that given what I assume is a basic social insurance system compared to European nations? Most people have to keep working and interacting in order to eat, but even so, you'd think that there would be some impact of public caution acting as a brake on the R value as the cases and deaths increase.

There is a regional festival ongoing right now involving upwards of 3 million in the north of India.

Modi shares the brunt of the blame. They dismantled the overflow hospitals last year and he has pretended it is over. He is an Indian Trump
Covid in India on 17:48 - Apr 21 with 1538 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Some of the stuff we do at work is offshored to India, it's v bad. Half of them currently off with it, it's not a huge dept but literally Half of them off.... very worrying for them

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Covid in India on 18:39 - Apr 21 with 1482 viewsChurchman

Of course they are. Brazil, China, Russia and Mexico to name four. Politics is far more important than truth and lies become truth if repeated so why not? The published stats show trends but that’s their only value. Excess deaths is the best measure, but this will be tinkered with in many places, I’m sure.

The reality is that it is a ghastly virus that kills and maims survivors in horrific numbers and sadly there’s a long way to go with it.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 18:48]
Covid in India on 19:19 - Apr 21 with 1396 viewsshady

The Kumbh Mela(regional festival) that draws in mask-less millions has actually been neutered.
PM yesterday asked them if they wouldn’t mind all going home and they mainly obeyed.
The bad news is that they will spread the love throughout the land.

This evening the Delhi High Court has had to criticize the government (brave) for putting industrial need for oxygen before patients lives.
Delhi’s hospitals are hours from running out.
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/you-take-your-sweet-time-people-die-court-to-cen

Continuing this theme it’s just the second half of a battle between PM and Delhi state which is run by an opposition party.
(In fact all 4 of largest cities are run by opposition parties as city dwellers too smart for PM’s nonsense)

Yes, In major cities sero-positivity is up to 50%.
This means half the population has been exposed to Covid,
mainly asymptomatic but probably at liberty to pass it on.
In more rural areas percentage will not be so high, and doesn’t matter as despite the high exposure immunity doesn’t appear to be present.
Hence maybe these new variants are more lethal.
Especially when coupled with the PM's uncaring behaviour.

Interesting times.
Or maybe the North Korean model is the way forward.
Covid in India on 00:20 - Apr 22 with 1249 viewsKallyB

Give got not control over there and Modi is out of his depth.
But comparing it to the UK is pointless, you're talking about 60m v 1.4b...massive difference
Covid in India on 08:05 - Apr 22 with 1128 viewsSwansea_Blue

Covid in India on 12:54 - Apr 21 by StokieBlue

It's awful there at the moment :(.

As I said in a thread to BDS about 2 months ago, the true scale of C19 in places like India will probably only be known from excess death counts and it's entirely possible those will never become available.

The numbers before this wave were miles off according to Indian doctors and this wave is awful - there needs to be a humanitarian effort to get supplies there ASAP, they are running very low on oxygen for instance.

SB

It certainly is. This was my original fear for places like India, where people are stacked on top of one another and there are still many rural areas with difficult access to healthcare. I was surprised they'd (relatively) dodged the bullet last year, so to see this is no surprise but it's still heartbreaking nonetheless.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Covid in India on 09:31 - Apr 22 with 1053 viewsNthQldITFC

Covid in India on 19:19 - Apr 21 by shady

The Kumbh Mela(regional festival) that draws in mask-less millions has actually been neutered.
PM yesterday asked them if they wouldn’t mind all going home and they mainly obeyed.
The bad news is that they will spread the love throughout the land.

This evening the Delhi High Court has had to criticize the government (brave) for putting industrial need for oxygen before patients lives.
Delhi’s hospitals are hours from running out.
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/you-take-your-sweet-time-people-die-court-to-cen

Continuing this theme it’s just the second half of a battle between PM and Delhi state which is run by an opposition party.
(In fact all 4 of largest cities are run by opposition parties as city dwellers too smart for PM’s nonsense)

Yes, In major cities sero-positivity is up to 50%.
This means half the population has been exposed to Covid,
mainly asymptomatic but probably at liberty to pass it on.
In more rural areas percentage will not be so high, and doesn’t matter as despite the high exposure immunity doesn’t appear to be present.
Hence maybe these new variants are more lethal.
Especially when coupled with the PM's uncaring behaviour.

Interesting times.
Or maybe the North Korean model is the way forward.

Are you seeing an increase in people taking prophylactic action themselves, in the absence of government action?

Stay safe fellow blue, plus family and friends.

Covid in India on 11:53 - Apr 22 with 965 viewsshady

Covid in India on 09:31 - Apr 22 by NthQldITFC

Are you seeing an increase in people taking prophylactic action themselves, in the absence of government action?

Stay safe fellow blue, plus family and friends.

This is not the land of prophylactic action.
Rules are at best signposts, not to be followed.
Explains the high birth-rate and road kill.
Covid appropriate behaviour is just not sexy. People were complacent and too relaxed.

I am living a bubble life in a safe part(for now) of the sub-continent
So can’t comment on the injustices and hardships that others are in.

Just possibly Delhi and Maharashtran numbers are peaking this week,
However other states don’t have the infrastructure to contain this contagion.

Today on my visit to town to enjoy a real takeaway thali;
I noticed for the first time in months more people wearing masks than not.
So that’s something.
I also noticed crowds at the opening of a new jewellery shop.
Also other assorted large gatherings.

Thanks for the best wishes
Others are in far more danger.
Covid in India on 12:09 - Apr 22 with 934 viewsLord_Lucan

Covid in India on 11:53 - Apr 22 by shady

This is not the land of prophylactic action.
Rules are at best signposts, not to be followed.
Explains the high birth-rate and road kill.
Covid appropriate behaviour is just not sexy. People were complacent and too relaxed.

I am living a bubble life in a safe part(for now) of the sub-continent
So can’t comment on the injustices and hardships that others are in.

Just possibly Delhi and Maharashtran numbers are peaking this week,
However other states don’t have the infrastructure to contain this contagion.

Today on my visit to town to enjoy a real takeaway thali;
I noticed for the first time in months more people wearing masks than not.
So that’s something.
I also noticed crowds at the opening of a new jewellery shop.
Also other assorted large gatherings.

Thanks for the best wishes
Others are in far more danger.

Are you anywhere near Sivakasi?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Covid in India on 14:22 - Apr 22 with 844 viewsshady

Covid in India on 12:09 - Apr 22 by Lord_Lucan

Are you anywhere near Sivakasi?

Wow! Sivakasi is firework town
Guess I'm a few hundred kilometres north
(nearer Vellore)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024