Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tomas Holy 14:05 - Apr 21 with 4483 viewsBlueBlood90

Where does he rank in our worst ever goalkeepers list?

He seems a lovely guy but I really do think he's extremely high on the list.

An absolute priority signing this summer.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Tomas Holy on 14:45 - Apr 21 with 2131 viewsbournemouthblue

Tomas Holy on 14:33 - Apr 21 by TieDyedIn95

The only Town keepers he's been better than are Norris and Cornell. I'd say pretty much everyone else we have had starts before him if you were given a choice. He's a good bloke, you can tell he's enjoying his time here but come on, he's playing in the third division could you imagine him playing in any of the town sides from the past 40 years above any of the other first team keepers we have had?

James Pullen looked pretty ordinary for us when he did play

We must have had a few poor ones over the years but they are often pretty forgettable, luckily for them

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Tomas Holy on 14:46 - Apr 21 with 2131 viewsGarv

Tomas Holy on 14:33 - Apr 21 by PositivelyPortman

Eh? Well it was against Wimbledon and again last night too.

I think defenders get nervous knowing if they concede one it's game over, because there's nothing ahead of them. We've not been beaten by 3+ many times this season.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Tomas Holy on 14:47 - Apr 21 with 2126 viewsSwailsey

Tomas Holy on 14:43 - Apr 21 by chicoazul

Crazy talk.
This team and every player in it, is de facto the worst set of players to wear the shirt in living memory. People talk about Uhlenbeek Harbey David Hill and Lee-Barrett like they wouldn’t vastly improve on what we have now.

Agree to disagree :)

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Tomas Holy on 15:01 - Apr 21 with 2085 viewsacj

I reckon Jay Tabb would be the worst goalkeeper who’s ever played for us. Just aim for the top corners and he’d never reach.

Poll: Will Town score again this season?

Tomas Holy on 15:03 - Apr 21 with 2081 viewsArnoldMoorhen

[Redacted] on 14:31 - Apr 21 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Isn't he? Blimey!
Tomas Holy on 15:06 - Apr 21 with 2076 viewshype313

[Redacted] on 14:37 - Apr 21 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Jon Hallworth, wasn't great, but he had the Knusden issue, ie coming in after Paul Cooper.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Tomas Holy on 15:07 - Apr 21 with 2075 viewsFarmerpiles

[Redacted] on 14:37 - Apr 21 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Jon Halworth. Better then these two. Ron Fearon looks world class next to Holy.
Tomas Holy on 15:09 - Apr 21 with 2072 viewslongtimefan

Tomas Holy on 14:33 - Apr 21 by TieDyedIn95

The only Town keepers he's been better than are Norris and Cornell. I'd say pretty much everyone else we have had starts before him if you were given a choice. He's a good bloke, you can tell he's enjoying his time here but come on, he's playing in the third division could you imagine him playing in any of the town sides from the past 40 years above any of the other first team keepers we have had?

I don’t think I could conclusively say he’s better than Cornell either to be honest. I’ve never seen such a tall goalkeeper who doesn’t want to come for crosses. Even Laurie Sivell dominated his area better than Holy, and was about a foot shorter.
Login to get fewer ads

Tomas Holy on 15:12 - Apr 21 with 2073 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Tomas Holy on 14:45 - Apr 21 by bournemouthblue

James Pullen looked pretty ordinary for us when he did play

We must have had a few poor ones over the years but they are often pretty forgettable, luckily for them

No he didn't. He had an absolute nightmare. It was against Grimsby. It was really, really bad. If he had been pretty ordinary he would probably have got another chance. Just not cut out for the pressure of playing in front of 20,000 people. It's tough for goalkeepers, they play youth and reserve football in front of no-one for years and then suddenly all the focus is on them. They don't get 5 or 10 minutes here and there as young players to get used to the step up. Great that he's still involved, albeit in a different capacity, though.

ALB wasn't that bad, he had fantastic shot-stopping reflexes, but had a technical problem in that he often saved balls and palmed them back into the danger area, rather than being able to tip them round the post. I would put him straight in now, though.

The idea that Lewis Price (during his time in our first team) was not as good as Cornell and Holy is also laughable.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 15:16]
Tomas Holy on 16:13 - Apr 21 with 2010 viewsroysboys

I would rank him as the tallest ever worst ever goalkeeper.

Blog: Pig Tales - An Old Story Brought Bang Up to Date

Tomas Holy on 16:26 - Apr 21 with 1998 viewsPhilTWTD

Tomas Holy on 15:12 - Apr 21 by ArnoldMoorhen

No he didn't. He had an absolute nightmare. It was against Grimsby. It was really, really bad. If he had been pretty ordinary he would probably have got another chance. Just not cut out for the pressure of playing in front of 20,000 people. It's tough for goalkeepers, they play youth and reserve football in front of no-one for years and then suddenly all the focus is on them. They don't get 5 or 10 minutes here and there as young players to get used to the step up. Great that he's still involved, albeit in a different capacity, though.

ALB wasn't that bad, he had fantastic shot-stopping reflexes, but had a technical problem in that he often saved balls and palmed them back into the danger area, rather than being able to tip them round the post. I would put him straight in now, though.

The idea that Lewis Price (during his time in our first team) was not as good as Cornell and Holy is also laughable.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 15:16]

ALB was non-league standard, had been released by Hartlepool if I remember rightly. When he came in another non-league keeper who was mates with our keeper-coach at the time - James Hollman? - called him up and said 'If you were going to sign a non-league keeper, you could have signed me!'.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Tomas Holy on 16:38 - Apr 21 with 1963 viewspositivity

maybe one of the worst certain starters, but what do you expect?

we're in division 3, for the first time in 60 years, if he was as good as cooper, wright or bialkowski, he wouldn't be in division 3!

i can think of 3 worse keepers in the current squad...

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Tomas Holy on 16:39 - Apr 21 with 1953 viewsSmith45

I don't think for a second anyone is arguing that he is the main problem but watching him this season has been painful.

It's not the blatant errors that are the problem which are easily spotted it's the not coming for any crosses despite being 6'8, awful positioning, being so flat footed for a lot of the goals we concede and his atrocious kicking.

People will always say "He's a good shot stopper" which is literally the bare minimum you expect as a goalkeeper today. I think overall he is up there with the worst we've had, and whilst I don't think this is number 1 priority i think we do need to get a new keeper in.
Tomas Holy on 16:58 - Apr 21 with 1927 viewsChurchman

We need a lot better than what we’ve got. A good goalkeeper is crucial to any decent team.

Of the ones of the past, ALB was poor. We had Ron Fearon for a couple of seasons in the late 80s and he was pretty awful too. The rest, much of a muchness. The strange one was Andy Marshall. He had a sort good reputation, but made loads of mistakes at ITFC. His confidence wasn’t helped by being slaughtered by the crowd if anything went awry and succeeding Wright. He had oddly thin legs too.
Tomas Holy on 17:00 - Apr 21 with 1924 viewsclive_baker

I don’t like him as a keeper. Poor with his feet, so reluctant to command his 6 yard box, not very vocal, and seems to be beaten fairly easily down low. I think he’s so average, but he’s not the reason we are where we are is he? Our defence (while shocking recently) has generally been OK. It’s our inability to create and score goals that’s cost us.

For me he’s one on a long list that I would be happy to see the back of, but calling him out for special criticism is a little harsh.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Tomas Holy on 17:02 - Apr 21 with 1917 viewsHerbivore

Tomas Holy on 17:00 - Apr 21 by clive_baker

I don’t like him as a keeper. Poor with his feet, so reluctant to command his 6 yard box, not very vocal, and seems to be beaten fairly easily down low. I think he’s so average, but he’s not the reason we are where we are is he? Our defence (while shocking recently) has generally been OK. It’s our inability to create and score goals that’s cost us.

For me he’s one on a long list that I would be happy to see the back of, but calling him out for special criticism is a little harsh.

That's a pretty fair summary.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Tomas Holy on 18:34 - Apr 21 with 1869 views66notout

Tomas Holy on 15:06 - Apr 21 by hype313

Jon Hallworth, wasn't great, but he had the Knusden issue, ie coming in after Paul Cooper.

He could mean Gary Westwood
Tomas Holy on 18:52 - Apr 21 with 1855 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

[Redacted] on 19:09 - Apr 21 with 1833 viewsvictorywilhappen

Tomas Holy on 18:34 - Apr 21 by 66notout

He could mean Gary Westwood

[Redacted]
Tomas Holy on 11:25 - Apr 22 with 1720 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Tomas Holy on 14:42 - Apr 21 by tractordownsouth

Two words - Andy Marshall

Think that’s with your blue tinted specs on.
May have been the least popular with the fans but in practice the issue was
- we were in the PL but he was at best a solid championship keeper,
- no where near as good as Wright or Sereni
- had the baggage of coming from the scum

But in reality a notch or two up on Holy

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Tomas Holy on 13:01 - Apr 22 with 1688 views3_5_2

not sure about rank but for a huge guy he dosnt dominate the box as he should and his kicking is terrible

Get rid

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Tomas Holy on 13:03 - Apr 22 with 1684 viewshype313

Tomas Holy on 13:01 - Apr 22 by 3_5_2

not sure about rank but for a huge guy he dosnt dominate the box as he should and his kicking is terrible

Get rid

Two things you would hope would be basics for a goalkeeper of his stature.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024