Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players released 15:04 - Apr 21 with 44754 viewsgreyhound

Hearing rumours that the next stage of the clear out is awaiting announcement.

Jack lankaster among those names that I've been given as well as a large portion of under 23s

With all of the noise about improving academy when the takeover happened this seems surprising, I wonder if that u23 contingent includes more players that are in or around the first team than anything else.

I know we're seriously lacking quality but I hope in this clear out we don't make some hasty regrettable decisions on some of the younger talent we may have.

These are horrible horrible times as a town fan, where those you pinned your hopes on are falling so far short
Players released on 17:09 - Apr 21 with 2977 viewsjayessess

Players released on 17:00 - Apr 21 by Garv

Quite possibly. I'd be surprised if we manage to get two strikers markedly better than him though, other than being more reliable fitness wise. And would you really be upset with having Norwood as second choice?

There seems to be a lot riding on us absolutely smashing summer recruitment. If Ashton etc. hit the ground running then that's possible but it seems a big ask for a new set of owners, new CEO and new manager.

Fitness isn't an optional extra for a footballer, is it?

(and better than a 30-year-old with 2 indifferent seasons in League 1 to his name isn't exactly a tall order, I wouldn't think)

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Players released on 17:10 - Apr 21 with 2975 viewshappybeingblue

jack is contracted til next summer 2022
Players released on 17:11 - Apr 21 with 2961 viewscatch74

Players released on 16:40 - Apr 21 by greyhound

I still remain very dubious about it. I also thought he wasn't out of contract and was highly regarded. Same as before though. Passing on info fed to me from people I rely on.

If we're starting to just pay people off then we really are entering a new era

It wouldn’t be maybe lost in translation - so not considered for squad but sent out on season long loan. Think that would surely be the way forward with him. Definitely needs a full season somewhere before he can be judged.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Players released on 17:14 - Apr 21 with 2940 viewsDanTheMan

Players released on 17:00 - Apr 21 by greyhound

For one reason or another I don't even think we have had a chance to see his potential. A loan would be the answer to me but would still represent a contractual situation next year where he's having to be assessed for renewal based on performance away from the club. Loans in the final year of a contract are an oddity really. If you could make someone pay 100 per cent of his wages fine, but given his injury record I don't think that's realistic meaning settling up could be best value for both parties.

As for Norwood, he's our best forward option that our fans go crazy for when he's doing bits on the pitch, but his off field antics will now mean every foot step is analysed and is awaiting a reason to make the fans turn back on the club. At some point we need to remove the toxic atmosphere that is being created by some of these players. The fan base is in tatters at the moment. We should be on the crest of a wave after a management change we cried out for and a new owner which we wanted for years, instead it feels like we have never been lower

Agreed, it's not easy at all. I can understand why he'd be one to go, but as I explained elsewhere, for me it would be disappointing.

With regards to Norwood, I think he should go purely for his off field antics. I'm sure we can find a striker who is as good without any of the baggage.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Players released on 17:17 - Apr 21 with 2906 viewsjayessess

Players released on 17:02 - Apr 21 by Timefliesbyintheblue

Vanmunt - very true. If as ITFC supporters we have one fault it is over rating our younger players and getting too excited too quickly. We have been doing it a long time. A good example I believe I am correct in saying, is that of our youth cup winning squad in 2005. We sold Owen Garvan for £250,000 and yet Southampton got literally millions for members of their squad.
Potential has to be realised quicker at Ipswich Town.

It's the untested potential that tends to get overrated. But anyone predicted to have a big future immediately moves to potential scapegoat status as soon as they've had 10 games or so.

Take Garvan - the last couple of seasons of his town career he got regular grief before going on to be a mainstay in a better team. Even saw someone saying Dobra wasn't realising his potential quick enough the other day, after 6 starts!
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 17:17]

Players released on 17:19 - Apr 21 with 2883 viewsjayessess

Players released on 17:00 - Apr 21 by greyhound

For one reason or another I don't even think we have had a chance to see his potential. A loan would be the answer to me but would still represent a contractual situation next year where he's having to be assessed for renewal based on performance away from the club. Loans in the final year of a contract are an oddity really. If you could make someone pay 100 per cent of his wages fine, but given his injury record I don't think that's realistic meaning settling up could be best value for both parties.

As for Norwood, he's our best forward option that our fans go crazy for when he's doing bits on the pitch, but his off field antics will now mean every foot step is analysed and is awaiting a reason to make the fans turn back on the club. At some point we need to remove the toxic atmosphere that is being created by some of these players. The fan base is in tatters at the moment. We should be on the crest of a wave after a management change we cried out for and a new owner which we wanted for years, instead it feels like we have never been lower

There's a 1-year option as well I think, so it's only the last year of his contract if we want it to be.

Players released on 17:20 - Apr 21 with 2866 viewsgreyhound

Players released on 17:11 - Apr 21 by catch74

It wouldn’t be maybe lost in translation - so not considered for squad but sent out on season long loan. Think that would surely be the way forward with him. Definitely needs a full season somewhere before he can be judged.

It's nice to be right about stuff but this is one where I'm hoping it's wrong. Still as before I'll deliver what I'm told.

I'm not sure why but he's just someone I want to crack on and be a great academy success. As said before I can't see a final year of contract loan being a thing and there's no way on earth his contract will be extended.

I am preparing with all this to also see things happen that I don't like. It truly feels like a great reset is upon us. I just hope some of the young lads can carry on in football somewhere and we don't see a load of careers just go to waste. The reality is no one has done a thing to appeal this year.
Players released on 17:23 - Apr 21 with 2835 viewsPhilTWTD

Players released on 16:48 - Apr 21 by floridaboy

Tell you what Phil, with the club releasing so many players and I would assume other clubs will be doing the same, there is going to a huge glut of players looking for new clubs.

And this time round the agents will not be in a position to dictate wages etc. surely.

Interesting times ahead for not only us but for many other clubs as well!

Going to be a huge number of players on frees, certainly at this level. And wages will come down as well.
Login to get fewer ads

Players released on 17:24 - Apr 21 with 2825 viewsPhilTWTD

Players released on 17:20 - Apr 21 by greyhound

It's nice to be right about stuff but this is one where I'm hoping it's wrong. Still as before I'll deliver what I'm told.

I'm not sure why but he's just someone I want to crack on and be a great academy success. As said before I can't see a final year of contract loan being a thing and there's no way on earth his contract will be extended.

I am preparing with all this to also see things happen that I don't like. It truly feels like a great reset is upon us. I just hope some of the young lads can carry on in football somewhere and we don't see a load of careers just go to waste. The reality is no one has done a thing to appeal this year.

It would surprise me if JL was in the plans for next year, so a free move or contract settlement wouldn't be a shock.
Players released on 17:28 - Apr 21 with 2762 viewstractordownsouth

Obviously I bow to the superior knowledge of Phil and others who are in the know, but I'd be very surprised if Nolan leaves this summer. Cook seemed to be a really big fan of his when asked about his injury and I think he and Downes could be a decent combination in the midfield 2. Despite his limitations, he's the only midfield player we have that is capable of arriving late in the box and scoring goals, which is one of our biggest problems.

Also worth remembering Nolan's best season (2017-18) was spent in a Shrewsbury team that was vying for promotion with Cook's Wigan, so he'll likely have seen him perform well on a few occasions.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Players released on 17:31 - Apr 21 with 2725 viewscatch74

Players released on 17:23 - Apr 21 by PhilTWTD

Going to be a huge number of players on frees, certainly at this level. And wages will come down as well.

Is there a change to the Champioship - was there mention of an £18m wage cap? Assuming this not happening as per L1 change but would empty out lots of squad fillers if the case.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Players released on 17:36 - Apr 21 with 2684 viewsPhilTWTD

Players released on 17:31 - Apr 21 by catch74

Is there a change to the Champioship - was there mention of an £18m wage cap? Assuming this not happening as per L1 change but would empty out lots of squad fillers if the case.

No, think they voted against that. Will probably be a lot of squad fillers available anyway as clubs look to cut costs due to the effects of the pandemic.
Players released on 17:42 - Apr 21 with 2628 viewsjayessess

Players released on 17:28 - Apr 21 by tractordownsouth

Obviously I bow to the superior knowledge of Phil and others who are in the know, but I'd be very surprised if Nolan leaves this summer. Cook seemed to be a really big fan of his when asked about his injury and I think he and Downes could be a decent combination in the midfield 2. Despite his limitations, he's the only midfield player we have that is capable of arriving late in the box and scoring goals, which is one of our biggest problems.

Also worth remembering Nolan's best season (2017-18) was spent in a Shrewsbury team that was vying for promotion with Cook's Wigan, so he'll likely have seen him perform well on a few occasions.

depends on whether "data-driven recruitment" involves looking at Nolan's numbers for this season and last...

Players released on 17:45 - Apr 21 with 2618 viewsVic

Players released on 16:47 - Apr 21 by SWGF

By the same token, they've got to be good enough for clubs to want them (and then play them once they're there). That's happened a fair bit as well.

That so many of our youngsters have failed to shine in lower leagues teams really does tell its own story doesn’t it. Like others have said, I really hoped (expected!) the likes of Bush, Dozzel and Downes to take this league by storm, regardless of the manager. But to a man they have not lived up to expectations. Are they poor players, or have just been ground down by the atmosphere around the place?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Players released on 17:48 - Apr 21 with 2586 viewsChrisd

Players released on 17:17 - Apr 21 by jayessess

It's the untested potential that tends to get overrated. But anyone predicted to have a big future immediately moves to potential scapegoat status as soon as they've had 10 games or so.

Take Garvan - the last couple of seasons of his town career he got regular grief before going on to be a mainstay in a better team. Even saw someone saying Dobra wasn't realising his potential quick enough the other day, after 6 starts!
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 17:17]

To be fair, that doesn’t really happen a lot with our younger players over recent seasons that they go on to bigger and better things, if anything it goes in the opposite direction.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 17:51]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Players released on 17:50 - Apr 21 with 2573 viewsVic

Players released on 17:00 - Apr 21 by Garv

Quite possibly. I'd be surprised if we manage to get two strikers markedly better than him though, other than being more reliable fitness wise. And would you really be upset with having Norwood as second choice?

There seems to be a lot riding on us absolutely smashing summer recruitment. If Ashton etc. hit the ground running then that's possible but it seems a big ask for a new set of owners, new CEO and new manager.

I reckon his attitude would change when surrounded by a group of better, more motivated players. If it didn’t then would be the time to bin him.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Players released on 18:14 - Apr 21 with 2464 viewsClapham_Junction

Players released on 15:40 - Apr 21 by PhilTWTD

As I've said before, I think there will literally be a handful of current players still here in August, so younger players in his position will be moved on, although as you say he can't be released as he's in contract. El Mizouni, McGavin, those types of players between the U23s and senior side that probably won't be obvious contenders for a shirt next season I wouldn't expect to stay. Nydam will probably be one of the few in that sort of mould.

I'd be quite disappointed to see McGavin go - I thought he played very well when he came into the side for Dozzell earlier in the season, and was a bit surprised to see him sent up to Scotland.
Players released on 19:22 - Apr 21 with 2271 viewspointofblue

Seeing the news that Lankester May go should really hurt but I just feel numb. Other than Dobra Downes and Woolfenden I think I’ll feel the same about seeing any of the younger players leave. I guess it’ll always be a what if when it comes to Bishop and Dozzell - what if they didn’t pick up those injuries?

I saw Nydam mentioned but he’s not 22 until November so won’t he count as an under 21 player next year? So he won’t count towards the cap?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Players released on 19:26 - Apr 21 with 2255 viewsbilllm

Players released on 15:10 - Apr 21 by saffers12

Has the OP got a history of being reliable?

I like that, funny,
Players released on 19:58 - Apr 21 with 2151 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Players released on 18:14 - Apr 21 by Clapham_Junction

I'd be quite disappointed to see McGavin go - I thought he played very well when he came into the side for Dozzell earlier in the season, and was a bit surprised to see him sent up to Scotland.

I thought that he did ok, but nothing more than that. We need better than ok moving forwards. He is 21 and couldn’t get a game in a Pub league. I reckon he will be released

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Players released on 20:02 - Apr 21 with 2125 viewschrismakin

Players released on 19:58 - Apr 21 by southnorfolkblue

I thought that he did ok, but nothing more than that. We need better than ok moving forwards. He is 21 and couldn’t get a game in a Pub league. I reckon he will be released

We need a complete overhaul of academy, u23s and first team. You can't do that if you have a club full of 'slight potentials'

If you're passed 20 and aren't in the first team, get out imo

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Players released on 20:12 - Apr 21 with 2048 viewsBryanPlug

Players released on 15:09 - Apr 21 by hype313

Lankester would be a shame, there is a player in there, maybe we are at the point where we have the funds to go tried and tested and the pathways to first team might be limited, so they are viewing these players as surplus.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Players released on 20:19 - Apr 21 with 2024 viewschrismakin

Players released on 20:12 - Apr 21 by BryanPlug

The other problem is as well, our playing squad has been awful for a while, that you don't really need to do much to look better than some of them, yet still you're not actually 'that' good
Look at Dobra, does some runs, but my god was he awful last night, he made Bennetts look like Ronaldo, is that 'the real' Dobra, that the manager see's daily that we don't see, so when he comes on and puts in 10 minutes of effort ( Saturday) he suddenly appears to be a hot prospect who should be given starts.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Players released on 20:33 - Apr 21 with 1958 viewsBryanPlug

Players released on 20:19 - Apr 21 by chrismakin

The other problem is as well, our playing squad has been awful for a while, that you don't really need to do much to look better than some of them, yet still you're not actually 'that' good
Look at Dobra, does some runs, but my god was he awful last night, he made Bennetts look like Ronaldo, is that 'the real' Dobra, that the manager see's daily that we don't see, so when he comes on and puts in 10 minutes of effort ( Saturday) he suddenly appears to be a hot prospect who should be given starts.

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Players released on 20:38 - Apr 21 with 1927 viewschrismakin

Players released on 20:33 - Apr 21 by BryanPlug

People are trying to say PC's man management hasn't been great. Considering he spent the first month wrapping them all in bubble wrap, that can't be further from the truth.

Something is amiss, Fitness? realism that they just aren't good enough? I personally think the contract situation has not helped in anyway at all, I couldn't imagine going to work and expecting my staff to put in the efforts if i've just told them they have 1 month to go before they are leaving. The players know that, PC can say show me what you've got, but the players know they aren't good enough no matter what effort they put in, they just aren't of the quality needed for this club.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024