Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
cook's summer priorities 16:46 - Apr 21 with 7739 viewspositivity

ok, it looks like we're getting a whole new squad, but who should be the priorities, assuming he sticks with 4-2-3-1?

for me, in order:-
goalscoring striker
tackling midfielder
organising centre-back
gk
left back
winger

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

cook's summer priorities on 11:55 - Apr 22 with 3807 viewsSwansea_Blue

Priorities:

1. Behind the scenes structures
2. Players
3. Winning back the fans

Kind of in that order for priorities, as get the first one right the second will follow and then the third. But all equally important. Maybe even inversely important - fans most important, then players as they have to deliver, and then the structures as they're dull and just allow things to happen.

I do think we're looking for a nearly a whole first 11. We'll have about that many vacancies after all the out of contract players leave. And I can see Cook wanting to offload as many of the others as he can. There's probably only 2-3 he'd want to keep.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

cook's summer priorities on 12:12 - Apr 22 with 3776 views66notout

cook's summer priorities on 10:57 - Apr 22 by hadleighboyblue

A midfield general as skipper , someone that can run games and get others playing

That could be the role for Evans of Wigan. No relation to Marcus I hope.
cook's summer priorities on 12:17 - Apr 22 with 3768 viewschicoazul

The only position we don’t really need to reinforce is right back, and arguably centre back.
15 new players incoming. Have heard Skuse has been told he is being released.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

cook's summer priorities on 12:34 - Apr 22 with 3746 viewsitfc_bucks

Looking at a starting XI in the 4231 that Cook seems to want to play

New Gk
KVY - 2x new CB - new LB
Downes - Dozzer
Gwion - new #10 - new LW
Nors

My logic being that Woolfie may be good enough, but we need to see more from him to prove it. Relating to Shambert's thoughts, does he want it enough?

Kenlock isn't good enough. Been saying it for years. Can't say it enough.

Downes gives us enough bite to screen the back four, Dozzer can bring it out of Defence and transition the game. Especially when not having to berate McGuinness for misplacing a ten yard pass.

We need a #10. Gwion has enough about him to give us a threat on that side, especially coupled with KVY. I'd really like to see us try and wrest Garbs from Blackpool. Unlikely , I know, but he'd give us the left sided threat.

Nors is sufficient to what we need. He's not ideal, and I'd not lose sleep if he's replaced, but he's not a priority in my view.
cook's summer priorities on 12:47 - Apr 22 with 3716 viewschicoazul

cook's summer priorities on 12:34 - Apr 22 by itfc_bucks

Looking at a starting XI in the 4231 that Cook seems to want to play

New Gk
KVY - 2x new CB - new LB
Downes - Dozzer
Gwion - new #10 - new LW
Nors

My logic being that Woolfie may be good enough, but we need to see more from him to prove it. Relating to Shambert's thoughts, does he want it enough?

Kenlock isn't good enough. Been saying it for years. Can't say it enough.

Downes gives us enough bite to screen the back four, Dozzer can bring it out of Defence and transition the game. Especially when not having to berate McGuinness for misplacing a ten yard pass.

We need a #10. Gwion has enough about him to give us a threat on that side, especially coupled with KVY. I'd really like to see us try and wrest Garbs from Blackpool. Unlikely , I know, but he'd give us the left sided threat.

Nors is sufficient to what we need. He's not ideal, and I'd not lose sleep if he's replaced, but he's not a priority in my view.

Have you not noticed Norwood is almost always injured?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

cook's summer priorities on 12:52 - Apr 22 with 3707 viewsitfcjoe

GK - New one with Holy or Cornell as back up

RB - KVY plus a PL loan kid to put pressure on him

CB - Woolfie plus one other, plus a new reserve. Chambers back up to them,, with Ndaba

LB - New one, Kenlock or Nydam back up

CM - Downes, Dozzell, Nolan plus 2 more

Wingers - 3-4 new players

AM/10 - 1 new player, Bishop to back up

CF - 2 new ones, Norwood to compete with them if Cook wants him to

12-13 players.....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

cook's summer priorities on 12:54 - Apr 22 with 3693 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Front 4

LW - Celina
CAM - Mcgoldrick
RM - Waghorn
ST - Garner

Tongue in cheek but all likely to be available for the right price!

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

cook's summer priorities on 13:03 - Apr 22 with 3670 viewsKeaneish

P1: Given he wants to play with width, overlapping full backs and plenty of energy, full back strength in depth is a must. Other than KVY and maybe Nydam, we have no-one. I’d be looking to sign at least two full backs and one utility.

P2: a centre back to replace Chambers.

P3: Competition for Norwood

P4: A playmaking midfielder

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Login to get fewer ads

cook's summer priorities on 13:33 - Apr 22 with 3645 viewsHerbivore

cook's summer priorities on 13:03 - Apr 22 by Keaneish

P1: Given he wants to play with width, overlapping full backs and plenty of energy, full back strength in depth is a must. Other than KVY and maybe Nydam, we have no-one. I’d be looking to sign at least two full backs and one utility.

P2: a centre back to replace Chambers.

P3: Competition for Norwood

P4: A playmaking midfielder

Interesting. I think our main failings all season have been the attacking players playing off the main striker, so I'm a bit surprised you don't see that area as a huge priority. Also a bit surprised you want competition for Norwood rather than a replacement.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

cook's summer priorities on 13:52 - Apr 22 with 3630 viewsC_Jam_Blue

Whatever transpires it's likely to be a compromise, it nearly always is. Although we have a lot of players out of contract, we still have a significant number staying. Given the number of players available this summer along with the fact few of our team have done much to enhance their reputations, we will probably need to work with what we have in a few areas.

Goals is obviously a priority so front 4 certainly
At least one full back
Keeper
A centre back to cover the departing/stepping aside Chambers

What will be interesting s the type of player we recruit. The business model for the new owners is about gaining promotion and selling once our 'value' has increased. But it is also about adding value through player sales (hence the talk of the Academy and stats based recruitment). So I think the majority of players we recruit will be with an eye on their future value so I would not expect to see many over 25. If we can't find players that
are a big improvement on what we have with the potential to bring in a large fee down the line, I suspect we will have to manage with some of our remaining contracted players.
cook's summer priorities on 14:39 - Apr 22 with 3593 viewsStewart27

cook's summer priorities on 10:36 - Apr 22 by BlueBlood90

I think Norwood has proven that he can be our goalscoring striker.

The only concerns are his poor injury record (a summer rest and a full pre-season may help with this) and his attitude of trying to be a joker all the time may irk some people.

He's been absolutely starved of service ever since he joined but his goal stats per minutes played is pretty good.

At least 3 creative/attacking minded players are need in midfield and on the wings this summer otherwise it won't matter who our striker is.

I think that your second paragraph confirms that Norwood is absolutely not our goal scoring striker.

We need so much better than him.
cook's summer priorities on 16:34 - Apr 22 with 3564 viewsBlueWorldOrder

How can we afford a whole new squad that can get us promoted under the FFP rules? I just dont see it. I think many are deluding themselves because Cook has failed to perform.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

cook's summer priorities on 16:40 - Apr 22 with 3556 viewsStokieBlue

cook's summer priorities on 16:34 - Apr 22 by BlueWorldOrder

How can we afford a whole new squad that can get us promoted under the FFP rules? I just dont see it. I think many are deluding themselves because Cook has failed to perform.

Not sure FFP is going to be an issue.

We already had one of the highest paid squads and the rules are back to how they were previously next year. With those off the books there is a lot of scope to pay wages and fees.

Given most are likely to be frees with possibly a few marque players for fees it shouldn't be an issue.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

cook's summer priorities on 16:46 - Apr 22 with 3546 viewswkj

No one on here is saying Cook has done a good job. He hasn't - his form has been terrible. Though what people are saying is give him summer, playoffs were never likely under any manager as the players are crocked.

The more you shout and scream about it now, the more you're gonna do yourself a whoopsie.

Cook won't have a free ride next season, and if he fails - bin him, move on.

Changing the manager now would be silly because you can rest assured the recruitment process is well under way now with pre-contract agreements being explored for players being released.

We can build a killer squad with the sheer amount of releases happening this transfer window - and Cook having a good look at our players performing poorly is a boon as he can bin off the unfit, over paid dross from the books.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

cook's summer priorities on 16:48 - Apr 22 with 3541 viewschrismakin

Blue. Have a look at his last two Jobs

Be replaced both squads when he took them on.

So we are in safe hands with someone who knows how to do it.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

cook's summer priorities on 19:50 - Apr 22 with 3491 viewscressi

cook's summer priorities on 11:50 - Apr 22 by Kieran_Knows

Maybe a GK? IMO it should almost be at the top of the list.

1 NEW
2 KVY
3 NEW
4 DOWNES
5 NEW
6 NEW
7 NEW
8 NEW
9 NEW
10 NORWOOD IF FIT LEAVES TWITTER ALONE ETC.
11 NEW

EXTRAS WILSON, DOZZELL , DORBA
WOLF, BISHOP, HOLY,
cook's summer priorities on 19:53 - Apr 22 with 3488 viewscressi

cook's summer priorities on 19:50 - Apr 22 by cressi

1 NEW
2 KVY
3 NEW
4 DOWNES
5 NEW
6 NEW
7 NEW
8 NEW
9 NEW
10 NORWOOD IF FIT LEAVES TWITTER ALONE ETC.
11 NEW

EXTRAS WILSON, DOZZELL , DORBA
WOLF, BISHOP, HOLY,

Oh and Nydam
cook's summer priorities on 21:08 - Apr 22 with 3475 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Agree with a lot of what's been said already. For me if we keep players like Downes and Dozzell we need an experienced holding midfielder to help them develop further.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

cook's summer priorities on 21:47 - Apr 22 with 3452 viewshunters_headers

cook's summer priorities on 12:52 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

GK - New one with Holy or Cornell as back up

RB - KVY plus a PL loan kid to put pressure on him

CB - Woolfie plus one other, plus a new reserve. Chambers back up to them,, with Ndaba

LB - New one, Kenlock or Nydam back up

CM - Downes, Dozzell, Nolan plus 2 more

Wingers - 3-4 new players

AM/10 - 1 new player, Bishop to back up

CF - 2 new ones, Norwood to compete with them if Cook wants him to

12-13 players.....

New keeper - Christian walton
Jack hunt out of contract right back
Matt Clarke - left footed organiser, captain? £3/4 million
Lee Evans holding midfielder out of contract
Diedhediou striker out of contract
Dion Charles- striker £1.5 mil
Kirk left winger
Okenabirhie winger/ striker
new left back ( bramhall??)
So that’s 9, all straight in the first team + building with championship quality players
cook's summer priorities on 21:52 - Apr 22 with 3437 viewschrismakin

cook's summer priorities on 21:47 - Apr 22 by hunters_headers

New keeper - Christian walton
Jack hunt out of contract right back
Matt Clarke - left footed organiser, captain? £3/4 million
Lee Evans holding midfielder out of contract
Diedhediou striker out of contract
Dion Charles- striker £1.5 mil
Kirk left winger
Okenabirhie winger/ striker
new left back ( bramhall??)
So that’s 9, all straight in the first team + building with championship quality players

No way will we spend 3-4 mill

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

cook's summer priorities on 21:57 - Apr 22 with 3429 viewsPJH

It will be interesting to see who decides which players we invite to join this wonderful adventure.

Might be the Bristol City bloke or it might be the Head of Recruitment, might be the Manager.
cook's summer priorities on 22:18 - Apr 22 with 3394 viewsKeaneish

cook's summer priorities on 13:33 - Apr 22 by Herbivore

Interesting. I think our main failings all season have been the attacking players playing off the main striker, so I'm a bit surprised you don't see that area as a huge priority. Also a bit surprised you want competition for Norwood rather than a replacement.

I knew someone would comment on that. Dropping in a new attacking midfielder or number 10 isn’t going to solve the issue on its own. The fact we’ve had no width, no overlap and no service into the box all season is a far bigger priority to solve for me. Get this shape and the personnel right and we’ll play higher up the pitch and have options in the right areas in the final third; Chambers, Ward, Wolfenden...barely one of them has overlapped, offered width or quality on the ball or good support for wide players.

We have players in the squad who have proven they can be better than they’ve proved this season who have play advanced midfield roles ie: Nolan and Bishop. We can’t change the whole squad, as much as some would like.

Norwood stays but will be injured at some point. We need like for like to step in or push for a place.

cook's summer priorities on 23:07 - Apr 22 with 3357 viewsHerbivore

cook's summer priorities on 22:18 - Apr 22 by Keaneish

I knew someone would comment on that. Dropping in a new attacking midfielder or number 10 isn’t going to solve the issue on its own. The fact we’ve had no width, no overlap and no service into the box all season is a far bigger priority to solve for me. Get this shape and the personnel right and we’ll play higher up the pitch and have options in the right areas in the final third; Chambers, Ward, Wolfenden...barely one of them has overlapped, offered width or quality on the ball or good support for wide players.

We have players in the squad who have proven they can be better than they’ve proved this season who have play advanced midfield roles ie: Nolan and Bishop. We can’t change the whole squad, as much as some would like.

Norwood stays but will be injured at some point. We need like for like to step in or push for a place.

Nolan has been turd for us and he's not a number 10. He's not the answer to the issues with the three playing off the main striker. In fact I don't think anyone in the current squad is, aside from maybe Dobra but he's unproven as yet. It's not just a number 10 either, it's the two players flanking the 10. Genuinely surprised you don't think that's an area where we need to see a huge upgrade.

If we want to challenge for promotion next season, Norwood is not the man to lead the line. I hope we bin him off if someone will take him.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

cook's summer priorities on 00:30 - Apr 23 with 3326 viewschrismakin

cook's summer priorities on 23:07 - Apr 22 by Herbivore

Nolan has been turd for us and he's not a number 10. He's not the answer to the issues with the three playing off the main striker. In fact I don't think anyone in the current squad is, aside from maybe Dobra but he's unproven as yet. It's not just a number 10 either, it's the two players flanking the 10. Genuinely surprised you don't think that's an area where we need to see a huge upgrade.

If we want to challenge for promotion next season, Norwood is not the man to lead the line. I hope we bin him off if someone will take him.

In the 4 2 3 1, I would say the priorities are the two wide men, most important players by a clear mile for this formation to work. Their strong points needs to be the awareness and ability to get that ball into the box from all angles at every opportunity, Understanding of getting in the box themselves when the balls over the other side, linking up with the midfield, getting back, tucking in, getting back out wide. The main reasons this squad can't cope with it, massively requires high fitness levels, the closest we have to this is Bennetts who has 0 ability when it comes to putting in a decent cross.

cook's summer priorities on 06:13 - Apr 23 with 3267 viewsKeaneish

cook's summer priorities on 23:07 - Apr 22 by Herbivore

Each to their own. Wide players are a must too but our full backs are dire and the heart of our problem. Good overlapping full backs provide width, space and time for wide midfielders or wingers to work with. Edwards hadn’t become a bad player over night, he just runs blind avenues with little to no support.

Nolan, other than Downes is the only midfielder we have who breaks the lines and gets beyond the front man. Yes, he’s even poor under PL but PL isn’t here anymore. Again, Nolan had proven he can play at this level as he did at Shrewsbury. I see him as a player who’ll thrive under Cook. I’d rather Bishop played the 10 role next season with Nolan and Downes behind him.

I make it 6 or 7 players we need plus a lot of coaching:

LB x 2
RB x 1
CB x 1
FW x 1
AM x 2

There will need to be a level of utility in a couple of these players. TWTD is going to be very busy this summer...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024