Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ 21:54 - Apr 21 with 5465 viewsBlueastheycome

After reading the thread on Northern based ITFC fans..it got me thinking

It has to be anything in line with Chesterfield doesn’t it? Purely because Sheffield is just 12 miles north of Chesterfield and Sheffield is traditionally considered ‘up north’
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 21:55]
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 21:55 - Apr 21 with 2068 viewsFtnfwest

Watford gap services
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 21:56 - Apr 21 with 2056 viewsTractorCam

I've always thought north of Birmingham, but that somehow includes Norwich and Peterborough.

I'd say you're probably bang on.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 21:56 - Apr 21 with 2051 viewsBlueastheycome

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 21:55 - Apr 21 by Ftnfwest

Watford gap services

According to Roy Harper it is
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 21:57 - Apr 21 with 2041 viewsGuthrum

Watford Gap services, traditionally. Which is about level with Bury St Edmunds.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 21:58 - Apr 21 with 2032 viewsBlueastheycome

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 21:56 - Apr 21 by TractorCam

I've always thought north of Birmingham, but that somehow includes Norwich and Peterborough.

It would genuinely be interesting to get the views and feedback of Chesterfieldites on this issue... if I was sad enough
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:03 - Apr 21 with 2005 viewsfactual_blue

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 21:56 - Apr 21 by TractorCam

I used to regularly annoy a norfukker at work by reminding them norwich is north of Wolverhampton.

They used to get unbelievably angry about this.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:19 - Apr 21 with 1969 viewsITFC_Forever

Anything above Stoke / Derby / Nottingham.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:24 - Apr 21 with 1961 viewsMercian

As someone who lives on the verge of The North I can say that, at least in The East Midlands, that the northern accents start at around Alfreton in Derbyshire stretching into Sutton and Mansfield in Notts. Although not technically northern there is a touch of Yorkshire twang and culture in these towns. 10 Miles further North in Chesterfield and Worksop the accent and culture is very much Sheffield despite both still being in The Midlands.
Login to get fewer ads

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:25 - Apr 21 with 1952 viewsMercian

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:19 - Apr 21 by ITFC_Forever

Pretty much yes.
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:26 - Apr 21 with 1938 viewsRyorry

When I was a young lass living near Guildford, and had never been further North than Watford, an older (maybe about 50) colleague in the office I was working in said she was going up north to Derby that weekend, as she was from there. I was well impressed, & Derby's been where 'the North' starts for me ever since.

She also said they were fans of Derby County, who were flying high in the 2nd tier at the time (I think that dates it as 1968-9) & were going to take in a home game.

Strange how those things stick in your mind but I can't remember the names of some roads in the place I've been living for the past 5 years!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:28 - Apr 21 with 1934 viewsKropotkin123

The north is when you encounter hills that are above 200m high and the south is when you encounter rude people
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 22:29]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:31 - Apr 21 with 1917 viewsMercian

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:26 - Apr 21 by Ryorry

When I was a young lass living near Guildford, and had never been further North than Watford, an older (maybe about 50) colleague in the office I was working in said she was going up north to Derby that weekend, as she was from there. I was well impressed, & Derby's been where 'the North' starts for me ever since.

She also said they were fans of Derby County, who were flying high in the 2nd tier at the time (I think that dates it as 1968-9) & were going to take in a home game.

Strange how those things stick in your mind but I can't remember the names of some roads in the place I've been living for the past 5 years!

I live in 10 miles north of Derby and it is still Midlands here, just.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 22:31]
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:31 - Apr 21 with 1915 viewsRyorry

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:28 - Apr 21 by Kropotkin123

The north is when you encounter hills that are above 200m high and the south is when you encounter rude people
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 22:29]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:32 - Apr 21 with 1910 viewsVic

Beccles, Bungay, Eye - they’re all up north.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:37 - Apr 21 with 1894 viewsexeterblue10

For me, strike a line due east from Chester and everything north of it is The North (ish)
It’s everywhere North of Newark on Trent on 22:43 - Apr 21 with 1888 viewsunstableblue

... Chesterfield, Mansfield are in the North...

There’s almost a change in architecture, stronger accents, north of that key Town

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:55 - Apr 21 with 1839 viewsChurchman

I agree - north of Birmingham for me. My mate reckons anywhere north of the Thames 😃
Yes (n/t) on 22:58 - Apr 21 with 1828 viewsunstableblue

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:19 - Apr 21 by ITFC_Forever

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Yes indeed (n/t) on 22:59 - Apr 21 with 1824 viewsunstableblue

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:24 - Apr 21 by Mercian

As someone who lives on the verge of The North I can say that, at least in The East Midlands, that the northern accents start at around Alfreton in Derbyshire stretching into Sutton and Mansfield in Notts. Although not technically northern there is a touch of Yorkshire twang and culture in these towns. 10 Miles further North in Chesterfield and Worksop the accent and culture is very much Sheffield despite both still being in The Midlands.

(No subject) (n/t) on 23:07 - Apr 21 with 1813 viewsCheshire_Tractor

[Post edited 24 Apr 2021 12:38]
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 23:32 - Apr 21 with 1761 viewsStNeotsBlue

My house overlooks the A1, from here I reckon anything north of Grantham is northern.
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 23:43 - Apr 21 with 1751 viewsTangledupin_Blue

I was in Aberdeen one day, chatting with a local lorry driver. I asked him whether he gets 'south' very often. "Yes" he said. "I often go to Glasgow and I've been to Carlisle a couple of times".

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 23:45 - Apr 21 with 1751 viewsTrequartista

https://brilliantmaps.com/england-north-south/

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 00:12 - Apr 22 with 1704 viewsGuthrum

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 23:45 - Apr 21 by Trequartista

https://brilliantmaps.com/england-north-south/

Pretty much the Fosse Way - same as in the early period of the Roman Occupation.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 06:41 - Apr 22 with 1588 viewsIPS_wich

When I went to Uni in Leeds is was often debated and we kind of settled on the divide being based on county borders rather than specific towns/cities.

From East to West everyone agreed:
- Humberside (as was - now East Yorkshire) is in the north; Lincolnshire is in the midlands
- South Yorkshire is in the north, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire are in the midlands
- Lancashire and Merseyside are in the north, Staffordshire and Shropshire are in the midlands

Which always left Cheshire for endless debate - although the map (see below) would suggest it is in line with Lincs/Derbs/Notts so should be classed as the Midlands.

As for the Midlands to South divide everyone agreed Staffs/Shrops/Derbys/Notts/Lincs (as mentioned) are in the Midlands, plus Leicestershire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Herefordshire.

Then one school of thought was that the divide was from the Wash to the Avon, which would mean just the counties named above were the Midlands and everything else was 'the South'.

The second school of thought was that if you look at the map and determine Warwickshire (with Birmingham in the middle) was the true heart of the Midlands, then in addition to those above so Northants, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire and Suffolk should be classed as the Midlands.

I would often then get asked whether I thought I was from the midlands or the south - and when I said neither, I'd always classed myself as East Anglian then everyone would laugh and make some sort of comment that this was no different to being 'welsh' - which to be honest I was fine with because I didn't really fancy being classed as either a midlander or a southerner.

You would also always get some Geordie (including my missus) or some Scot who would say that everyone was a Southerner, even those from Yorkshire...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024