Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ 21:54 - Apr 21 with 5505 viewsBlueastheycome

After reading the thread on Northern based ITFC fans..it got me thinking

It has to be anything in line with Chesterfield doesn’t it? Purely because Sheffield is just 12 miles north of Chesterfield and Sheffield is traditionally considered ‘up north’
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 21:55]
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 07:14 - Apr 22 with 1034 viewsbluenorth

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 06:41 - Apr 22 by IPS_wich

When I went to Uni in Leeds is was often debated and we kind of settled on the divide being based on county borders rather than specific towns/cities.

From East to West everyone agreed:
- Humberside (as was - now East Yorkshire) is in the north; Lincolnshire is in the midlands
- South Yorkshire is in the north, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire are in the midlands
- Lancashire and Merseyside are in the north, Staffordshire and Shropshire are in the midlands

Which always left Cheshire for endless debate - although the map (see below) would suggest it is in line with Lincs/Derbs/Notts so should be classed as the Midlands.

As for the Midlands to South divide everyone agreed Staffs/Shrops/Derbys/Notts/Lincs (as mentioned) are in the Midlands, plus Leicestershire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Herefordshire.

Then one school of thought was that the divide was from the Wash to the Avon, which would mean just the counties named above were the Midlands and everything else was 'the South'.

The second school of thought was that if you look at the map and determine Warwickshire (with Birmingham in the middle) was the true heart of the Midlands, then in addition to those above so Northants, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire and Suffolk should be classed as the Midlands.

I would often then get asked whether I thought I was from the midlands or the south - and when I said neither, I'd always classed myself as East Anglian then everyone would laugh and make some sort of comment that this was no different to being 'welsh' - which to be honest I was fine with because I didn't really fancy being classed as either a midlander or a southerner.

You would also always get some Geordie (including my missus) or some Scot who would say that everyone was a Southerner, even those from Yorkshire...

Growing up in Suffolk I would have agreed that the north was above the Wash/Severn line, but having lived in the north east for quite a while the midlands doesn’t feel that northern to me. Durham/Cumbria/Northumberland feel ‘proper’ northern but I suppose Yorkshire gets in too.
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 08:30 - Apr 22 with 1014 viewsIpswichKnight

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:03 - Apr 21 by factual_blue

I used to regularly annoy a norfukker at work by reminding them norwich is north of Wolverhampton.

They used to get unbelievably angry about this.

But they get unbelievably angry if you don’t think the village goat isn’t a living God!
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 08:34 - Apr 22 with 1014 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:19 - Apr 21 by ITFC_Forever

Anything above Stoke / Derby / Nottingham.

Varies though doesn't it.

Anything above Stoke is what I would say, but I worked in Basingstoke for a year and they constantly referred to me as being 'from the north'.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 08:40 - Apr 22 with 1004 viewsKropotkin123

When I went to Uni in Leeds is was often debated and we kind of settled on the divide being based on county borders rather than specific towns/cities.

- Humberside (as was - now East Yorkshire) is in the north; Lincolnshire is in the midlands
- South Yorkshire is in the north, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire are in the midlands
- Lancashire and Merseyside are in the north, Staffordshire and Shropshire are in the midlands

Which always left Cheshire for endless debate - although the map (see below) would suggest it is in line with Lincs/Derbs/Notts so should be classed as the Midlands.

As for the Midlands to South divide everyone agreed Staffs/Shrops/Derbys/Notts/Lincs (as mentioned) are in the Midlands, plus Leicestershire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Herefordshire.

Then one school of thought was that the divide was from the Wash to the Avon, which would mean just the counties named above were the Midlands and everything else was 'the South'.

The second school of thought was that if you look at the map and determine Warwickshire (with Birmingham in the middle) was the true heart of the Midlands, then in addition to those above so Northants, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire and Suffolk should be classed as the Midlands.

I would often then get asked whether I thought I was from the midlands or the south - and when I said neither, I'd always classed myself as East Anglian then everyone would laugh and make some sort of comment that this was no different to being 'welsh' - which to be honest I was fine with because I didn't really fancy being classed as either a midlander or a southerner.

You would also always get some Geordie (including my missus) or some Scot who would say that everyone was a Southerner, even those from Yorkshire...

Georgies and Scots... That's when you cease being Northern and start being part of a Wildling tribe, right?

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 08:45 - Apr 22 with 1000 viewsnoggin

A geordie forces mate of mine once said to me, "My first girlfriend was a southerner." When I asked where she was from, he said, "Hull."

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 08:58 - Apr 22 with 986 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Its a diagonal line isn't it that starts at the Lincs/Norfolk border and the goes down and to the left a bit across 5he county and if drawn correctly should indeed cut just above Watford gap.

Below it your sweet.... above it then you wear a flat cap and breed whippet's

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 09:15 - Apr 22 with 972 viewsDarth_Koont

Think this is a good stab at it. Showing the North, the Midlands and the disputed territories.

Pronouns: He/Him

It’s everywhere North of Newark on Trent on 09:37 - Apr 22 with 941 viewsPJH

It’s everywhere North of Newark on Trent on 22:43 - Apr 21 by unstableblue

... Chesterfield, Mansfield are in the North...

There’s almost a change in architecture, stronger accents, north of that key Town

My wife is from Retford which is not far from Mansfield and that is certainly 'up north, duck'.
Login to get fewer ads

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 09:39 - Apr 22 with 940 viewsKallyB

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 21:55 - Apr 21 by Ftnfwest

Watford gap services

Haha! On the flip side London becomes London where the M6 ends!
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 09:46 - Apr 22 with 931 viewsMetal_Hacker

Surely up to the MIDLANDS it’s the South and anything above is the NORF

Poll: If it were one or the other

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 09:54 - Apr 22 with 924 viewsKallyB

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 09:46 - Apr 22 by Metal_Hacker

Surely up to the MIDLANDS it’s the South and anything above is the NORF

No we aint South or North, we are Midlands, clues in the name....middle of the land lol!
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 09:59 - Apr 22 with 923 viewsBlueastheycome

This reminds me of a debate I had at uni with a Mackem. He was so passionate about the fact that he felt Manchester was in the midlands he fell out with us for days about it.
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 10:05 - Apr 22 with 919 viewsKropotkin123

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 09:15 - Apr 22 by Darth_Koont

Think this is a good stab at it. Showing the North, the Midlands and the disputed territories.

Funny how they assume Northumbria is independent of England, but East Anglia (Also a kingdom at the same time) remains apart of England.

Think we need to do one for East Anglia, as their disputed territories are definitely a land grab!

EDIT: Not sure how to get this as a image on my phone. But this should be the basis of our claims

https://www.reddit.com/r/imaginarymaps/comments/6exmjl/the_kingdom_of_east_angli

I feel that all of the fens should be cores, even though they weren't historically.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 10:30]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 10:06 - Apr 22 with 916 viewsmrshallisfit

Somewhere between Gislingham and Rickinghall Inferior.
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 10:07 - Apr 22 with 916 viewsChiefXL

Anything north of London Road
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 10:11 - Apr 22 with 912 viewsnodge_blue

I thought it was the Wash down to the bristol channel as a sort of dividing line

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 10:13 - Apr 22 with 909 viewsipswich78

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 21:55 - Apr 21 by Ftnfwest

Watford gap services

This is the correct answer.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 10:23 - Apr 22 with 894 viewsDarth_Koont

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 10:05 - Apr 22 by Kropotkin123

Funny how they assume Northumbria is independent of England, but East Anglia (Also a kingdom at the same time) remains apart of England.

Think we need to do one for East Anglia, as their disputed territories are definitely a land grab!

EDIT: Not sure how to get this as a image on my phone. But this should be the basis of our claims

https://www.reddit.com/r/imaginarymaps/comments/6exmjl/the_kingdom_of_east_angli

I feel that all of the fens should be cores, even though they weren't historically.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 10:30]

Fill your boots. But maybe an independent Suffolk is the best option?

Otherwise, you seem to be caught between teaming up with the scum or being London’s yokel cousin.

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 10:26 - Apr 22 with 881 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 10:23 - Apr 22 by Darth_Koont

Fill your boots. But maybe an independent Suffolk is the best option?

Otherwise, you seem to be caught between teaming up with the scum or being London’s yokel cousin.

I would like Suffolk to become a Scottish enclave.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 10:34 - Apr 22 with 861 viewsDarth_Koont

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 10:26 - Apr 22 by Tangledupin_Blue

I would like Suffolk to become a Scottish enclave.

Not sure there’s much demand for a “Dundee of the South”. I’d make Suffolk an offshoot of the Netherlands – you’ve got the landscape and the funny accents just need to decriminalise some drugs.

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 10:40 - Apr 22 with 851 viewssolemio

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 23:45 - Apr 21 by Trequartista

https://brilliantmaps.com/england-north-south/

Yes. of course Cardiff is in the north! I'm sure all the folk in Hereford consider themselves northeners.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 10:43]
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 10:45 - Apr 22 with 841 viewsThe_Major

Road signs for The NORTH start at Trafalgar Square and then keep going all the way up the A1 and later also the M6, and are still going strong in Glasgow and Edinburgh, but I suppose there's still another 250 miles of Scotland left.

You seem to get the signs for all directions, but very rarely do you see "The EAST" - the only time I can remember seeing one is on that lunatic motorway that goes through the middle of Newcastle. Which is notable because if you're in Newcastle, there's only about ten miles of "east" left, unless there's a secret tunnel between North Shields and Oslo.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 10:48]
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 10:45 - Apr 22 with 840 viewssolemio

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 10:11 - Apr 22 by nodge_blue

I thought it was the Wash down to the bristol channel as a sort of dividing line

It is indeed a dividing line of sorts, but not between north and south.
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 10:58 - Apr 22 with 821 viewsgiant_stow

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 10:45 - Apr 22 by solemio

It is indeed a dividing line of sorts, but not between north and south.

I'm afraid you're wrong.

Another way of thinking of that Wash/Bristol line is to imagine places where a typical Londoner feels at home. Personally, I can smell the north kick in on the M1 just south of Luton, so its wobbly line, granted, but very clear.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 11:01 - Apr 22 with 817 viewssolemio

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 10:58 - Apr 22 by giant_stow

I'm afraid you're wrong.

Another way of thinking of that Wash/Bristol line is to imagine places where a typical Londoner feels at home. Personally, I can smell the north kick in on the M1 just south of Luton, so its wobbly line, granted, but very clear.

If I'm wrong - and of course I'm not - it's a first ever.

My friend in Selsey thinks Londoners are northerners.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024