Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ 21:54 - Apr 21 with 5501 viewsBlueastheycome

After reading the thread on Northern based ITFC fans..it got me thinking

It has to be anything in line with Chesterfield doesn’t it? Purely because Sheffield is just 12 miles north of Chesterfield and Sheffield is traditionally considered ‘up north’
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 21:55]
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 11:45 - Apr 22 with 1856 viewsnoggin

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 11:01 - Apr 22 by solemio

If I'm wrong - and of course I'm not - it's a first ever.

My friend in Selsey thinks Londoners are northerners.

Bill?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 11:45 - Apr 22 with 1856 viewsRyorry

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 08:40 - Apr 22 by Kropotkin123

Georgies and Scots... That's when you cease being Northern and start being part of a Wildling tribe, right?

The Orkney Islands were part of Norway until 1472, only became Scottish because "In 1468 Orkney was pledged by Christian I, in his capacity as King of Norway, as security against the payment of the dowry of his daughter Margaret, betrothed to James III of Scotland. However the money was never paid, and Orkney was absorbed by the Kingdom of Scotland in 1472." [wiki]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 12:39 - Apr 22 with 1833 viewsThe_Major

It doesn't help that what is normally considered the North West (Manchester, Liverpool) is about 150 miles further south than the North East (Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough) - but that's probably caused by the Scottish border being at a 45 degree angle....
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 14:58 - Apr 22 with 1783 viewsDarth_Koont

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 12:39 - Apr 22 by The_Major

It doesn't help that what is normally considered the North West (Manchester, Liverpool) is about 150 miles further south than the North East (Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough) - but that's probably caused by the Scottish border being at a 45 degree angle....

East is also tricky considering Edinburgh is actually west of Bristol and about in line with Cardiff.

Pronouns: He/Him

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 15:01 - Apr 22 with 1777 viewsitfcjoe

I'd say Birmingham is up North even though it's probably more south than Norwich!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 15:03 - Apr 22 with 1774 viewsitfcjoe

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 23:43 - Apr 21 by Tangledupin_Blue

I was in Aberdeen one day, chatting with a local lorry driver. I asked him whether he gets 'south' very often. "Yes" he said. "I often go to Glasgow and I've been to Carlisle a couple of times".

I was once at a Southampton v Plymouth game at St Mary's when I was at uni down there and the Plymouth fans were singing "You dirty Northern b@stards" at the Saints fans....!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 15:24 - Apr 22 with 1754 viewsPhilTWTD

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 15:01 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

I'd say Birmingham is up North even though it's probably more south than Norwich!

It is, I believe. Football does seem to have a selective view on north and south as Norwich are often in southern groups with more southernly Midlands club in northern sections.
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 15:30 - Apr 22 with 1751 viewsgiant_stow

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 15:24 - Apr 22 by PhilTWTD

It is, I believe. Football does seem to have a selective view on north and south as Norwich are often in southern groups with more southernly Midlands club in northern sections.

so offensive.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 15:35 - Apr 22 with 1747 viewsPhilTWTD

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 15:30 - Apr 22 by giant_stow

so offensive.

I once called Sheffield United the 'Norwich of the North', perhaps I should have said they were the 'Other Norwich of the North'.
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 15:38 - Apr 22 with 1741 viewsfooters

Anywhere north of Highgate gives me nosebleeds, dahling.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 15:40 - Apr 22 with 1733 viewsgiant_stow

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 15:35 - Apr 22 by PhilTWTD

I once called Sheffield United the 'Norwich of the North', perhaps I should have said they were the 'Other Norwich of the North'.

oi!!!!! liberty!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 15:47 - Apr 22 with 1724 viewsfooters

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 15:40 - Apr 22 by giant_stow

oi!!!!! liberty!

I went to Walthamstow once. Never again.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 15:54 - Apr 22 with 1712 viewsgiant_stow

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 15:47 - Apr 22 by footers

I went to Walthamstow once. Never again.

You... you... bully! I'm leaving and i'm leaving sad. so neah.

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 15:56 - Apr 22 with 1707 viewseireblue

Anywhere in the Ulster province.
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 16:59 - Apr 22 with 1693 viewsThe_Major

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 14:58 - Apr 22 by Darth_Koont

East is also tricky considering Edinburgh is actually west of Bristol and about in line with Cardiff.

Here's a couple of good ones - Grimsby, which doesn't seem that northern, is slightly further north of Manchester. But my favourite is that Stoke, whilst not all cloth caps and whippets does feel somewhat northern is actually as far north as.....Cromer.
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 17:42 - Apr 22 with 1677 viewsMetal_Hacker

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 09:54 - Apr 22 by KallyB

No we aint South or North, we are Midlands, clues in the name....middle of the land lol!

Read my post again ! Anything above the Midlands is the NORF !
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 17:44]

Poll: If it were one or the other

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 17:45 - Apr 22 with 1675 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

I miss Game of Thrones.
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 18:08 - Apr 22 with 1666 viewsPinewoodblue

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 09:39 - Apr 22 by KallyB

Haha! On the flip side London becomes London where the M6 ends!

My wife has an elderly Scottish relative who is adamant Ipswich is on the edge of London.

If you head north on the A9, or at least before the Scots followed the Welsh and started adding gaelic place names, even when you got to Wick there will still signs the this imaginary The North.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 18:43 - Apr 22 with 1658 viewsfactual_blue

The Thames.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 18:57 - Apr 22 with 1648 viewsHARRY10

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 18:43 - Apr 22 by factual_blue

The Thames.

It is more a start of mind and being rather than geography

If you race ferrets, fancy whippets and eat all the bits of the cow other folk don't then you probably are northern, if not in the north

Wearing a flat cap and endlessly whining that the pint they have just been served is full to the brim and not a third of froth, then likewise

Another check is to note if you unnecessarily add the word me at the end of sentences - and refer to a person as ewes.

There is also a tendency to call hair, her.... though that is often an affected mannerism (Cilla Black) and you can usually hear when they forget to do so

Unfortunately since heavy industry is not so abundant the purpose of the north is now in general decline.
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 20:46 - Apr 22 with 1613 views26_Paz

I was up in north Norfolk at the weekend and was astonished to discover they get ‘Look North’ news up there

The Paz Man

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 21:34 - Apr 22 with 1595 viewsDarth_Koont

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 15:01 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

Birmingham is “up North”?!!

Y’daft apeth!

Pronouns: He/Him

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 21:34 - Apr 22 with 1594 viewsEwan_Oozami

Just past Hatfield.....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:20 - Apr 22 with 1573 viewsThe_Major

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 20:46 - Apr 22 by 26_Paz

I was up in north Norfolk at the weekend and was astonished to discover they get ‘Look North’ news up there

I think that's down to the ruckus over the Belmont transmitter in the 70s. Originally, you could get Anglia TV even if you lived in Hull. In about 1974, Yorkshire and Tyne Tees had a row over who should have a transmitter further north, and the IBA sorted it by basically moving the Yorkshire region further south.

This meant the Belmont transmitter in Lincolnshire started showing Yorkshire instead of Anglia, and those places like Wells, Hunstanton etc in that top left corner of Norfolk, that are directly opposite Lincolnshire over the Wash, ended up getting their local news from Leeds. Presumably, the BBC just followed suit.

There's a few anomalies like that around. Think I'm right in saying that Southend gets Meridian for example.
Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 22:32 - Apr 22 with 1568 viewsjeera

Whereabouts does ‘the north’ become ‘the north?’ on 21:34 - Apr 22 by Darth_Koont

Birmingham is “up North”?!!

Y’daft apeth!

Quite, it's Midlands and even named an airport as such to help people out.

Anything under a 3 hour drive from down here isn't North.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024