Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Damning statistics - what stands out for you? 07:23 - Apr 22 with 6252 viewsSTYG

From the EADT.

This is what Cook inherited and now has this lot knowing they won’t even be here next year. This is over the season, most of which was when they were presumably trying ...

Ipswich Town’s tally of 41 goals is better than only Bristol Rovers (40) and Northampton (38). Those sides are bottom and 21st respectively.

The Blues average less than a goal a game

They have now played more than nine hours of football without a goal

Ipswich have failed to score in 16 of their 42 League One games to date. Again, Northampton and Bristol Rovers are the only clubs with worse records in this metric

Town have managed to score more than one goal in only 13 of their matches

Town have scored three or more goals in a game just once this season, at Blackpool in September when they managed four. They have by far the worst record in the league in this regard

Their goal difference is currently —3. No club in the top half of any of the EFL divisions has a worse goal difference.

Town’s top scorer, James Norwood, is 56th in the League One scoring charts with six goals to his name. No other club’s leading scoring has fewer goals.

19 of the 24 League One clubs have at least two players who have scored more than Norwood. Gillingham, Lincoln and Rochdale have four players on more than Norwood’s six goals.

Town’s other central strikers, Kayden Jackson, Oli Hawkins, Troy Parrott, Freddie Sears and Aaron Drinan, have scored just one league goal each in a combined 4,671 minutes of action. Many of those appearances are from the bench, but combine for nearly 52 full games of football.

Four of Ipswich’s goals have been ‘own goals’. No team has benefited from more of them this season than Ipswich.

That puts ‘own goal’ joint third in the Ipswich scoring charts, alongside Jon Nolan and Alan Judge and behind Gwion Edwards (5) and James Norwood (6).

Town have only scored 27 league goals from open play this season.

Not one of those has been chalked up as being a ‘counter-attack’ goal.

Ipswich have scored 10 goals from set-pieces this season, with only five teams managing fewer

Town are the only team in League One not to have been awarded a penalty this season. Lincoln have had 10.

Gwion Edwards is 50th in the League One assist charts, with four. No team’s leading assister has fewer to his name than Edwards. 14 teams have multiple players above Edwards on the list. The next Ipswich name on this list are Alan Judge, Norwood, Luke Chambers, Stephen Ward and Teddy Bishop, who all have two.

Ipswich Town average 9.8 shots per game. That’s the fewest in the entire league.

The Blues average 3.2 shots on target per game. Only Wigan and Northampton average fewer.

Town’s 16.1 ‘unsuccessful touches’ per game is the highest in the league

Ipswich have worn their silver away kit five times and have scored two goals (Norwood at Hull and Chambers at Gillingham).

Town have yet to score since the American-backed takeover of the club was completed.

Ipswich have conceded three or more goals in games six times this season, with three of those occasions coming against teams in the bottom six (Swindon, Northampton, Wimbledon)

The Blues are as close to the relegation zone as they are to the automatic promotion places. The gap to both is 18 points.

In the 35 games since Town’s first loss of the season, away at Doncaster on October 20, ended a superb start, the Blues sit 16th in the League One form table

The form table since Paul Cook took charge of the Blues has Town 20th in League One

Only two players (Dion Charles of Accrington and Tyler Smith of Swindon) are caught offside more often per game than James Norwood

Only Hull are caught offside more often than Ipswich as a team

Only five players commit more fouls per game than Andre Dozzell

Town’s combined disciplinary record is fifth-worst in the division, with 72 yellow cards and six reds. Charlton and Accrington have been shown more red cards than Town

Ipswich have used 34 players in League One this season, fewer than only Swindon, Wigan and Burton Albion.

Depressing isn’t the word.
Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 07:32 - Apr 22 with 3744 viewsFtnfwest

All dreadful although weighted to be so a bit. Measuring Norwood on offsides per game but not goals per game/start for instance, just his total. But either way it’s desperate.
Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 07:39 - Apr 22 with 3705 viewsArnieM

This squad is essentially Lamberts. We know how crap that mini era was. The squad constantly failing to deliver, and constantly falling away as the season progressed. This season is no different. Only perhaps it is , in that since the take over was announced and the plans to totally rebuild, this group of players have thrown the towel in, totally.

Next season will for the first time, see a different culture at this club. A culture that is more professional, has clear goals, and pathways to achieve those goals. Players will be brought in with the goal, of promotion clearly in focus. None of the current seniors are fit for that purpose.

As Paul Cook has stated , “ he can’t trust these players and they don’t have it in them”....this is another reason for the total capitulation by them over the last few games.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 07:41 - Apr 22 with 3695 viewsdirtyboy

Now I’m not suggesting that we play counter attacking football, but the fact we’ve never scored any in that manner is what highlights a serious lack of any urgency in getting forward.

It’s this that Cook has inherited. Not lack of skill. Not lack of ability. Just an inherent inability to react with intent.
Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 07:47 - Apr 22 with 3660 viewsmo_itfc

On paper our squad isn't that bad.
Other than GK, most of the players have championship or high league 1 exp.
I think a good manager can get this team to play well.

PC has come in, but for the most part we've been playing the exact same football as we did under PL. High possession, pass between defenders, 4 2 3 1 formation.
I'm not sure PC is the man... hes failed to get anything out of this squad and hasn't managed to improve the football.

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 07:56 - Apr 22 with 3621 viewsSteve_M

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 07:32 - Apr 22 by Ftnfwest

All dreadful although weighted to be so a bit. Measuring Norwood on offsides per game but not goals per game/start for instance, just his total. But either way it’s desperate.

Well quite, it's a desperate attempt to find some esoteric ways of proving how crap we are. All a result of knowing absolutely nothing will start to change until June now - so we have two more months of this to go.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

[Redacted] on 08:01 - Apr 22 with 3594 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 08:01 - Apr 22 with 3598 viewsSTYG

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 07:47 - Apr 22 by mo_itfc

PC has come in, but for the most part we've been playing the exact same football as we did under PL. High possession, pass between defenders, 4 2 3 1 formation.
I'm not sure PC is the man... hes failed to get anything out of this squad and hasn't managed to improve the football.

I'm struggling to see how we are good on paper. Take the last side.

Holy - an average League One keeper who conceded 76 goals in the season before we signed him

Ward - Great player in his day but now past it

Wolf - Few good games in the Championship and has now gone backwards spectacularly

McGuinness - Kid that played well in a Trophy game against us

KVY - Looked superb for a dozen games in League One

Dozzell - Had done pretty much nothing in 5 years interrupted by injury

Downes - Some good games in the Championship

Edwards - Handful of good games in Championship, largely inconsistent League One player, amazing on his day which is once every 5 games.

Sears - Absolutely woeful for almost three seasons after being a good Championship player.

Jackson - Scored one goal in about a year at League One level

Bennetts - Kid on loan who has done nothing in senior football.

Who is missing?

Chambers - Great in his day. Now nowhere near good enough for a League One top side
Norwood - Constantly injured - Loads of goals below this level. Did okay last season.
Dobra - Delivered nothing yet
Bishop - Brilliant at times 5 years ago. Glimpses this year.
Skuse - See Chambers
WIlson - Done well at times in League One
Nsiala - Great at this level three years ago. Error prone since. Couple of brilliant games this season. Just as many horror shows.
Kenlock - His best spell for Town has probably come this season in League 1, where he has been average but looked much better than some of the others.

We really aren't great at all on paper.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 8:03]
[Redacted] on 08:15 - Apr 22 with 3536 viewsvictorywilhappen

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 08:01 - Apr 22 by STYG

I'm struggling to see how we are good on paper. Take the last side.

Holy - an average League One keeper who conceded 76 goals in the season before we signed him

Ward - Great player in his day but now past it

Wolf - Few good games in the Championship and has now gone backwards spectacularly

McGuinness - Kid that played well in a Trophy game against us

KVY - Looked superb for a dozen games in League One

Dozzell - Had done pretty much nothing in 5 years interrupted by injury

Downes - Some good games in the Championship

Edwards - Handful of good games in Championship, largely inconsistent League One player, amazing on his day which is once every 5 games.

Sears - Absolutely woeful for almost three seasons after being a good Championship player.

Jackson - Scored one goal in about a year at League One level

Bennetts - Kid on loan who has done nothing in senior football.

Who is missing?

Chambers - Great in his day. Now nowhere near good enough for a League One top side
Norwood - Constantly injured - Loads of goals below this level. Did okay last season.
Dobra - Delivered nothing yet
Bishop - Brilliant at times 5 years ago. Glimpses this year.
Skuse - See Chambers
WIlson - Done well at times in League One
Nsiala - Great at this level three years ago. Error prone since. Couple of brilliant games this season. Just as many horror shows.
Kenlock - His best spell for Town has probably come this season in League 1, where he has been average but looked much better than some of the others.

We really aren't great at all on paper.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 8:03]

[Redacted]
Login to get fewer ads

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 08:22 - Apr 22 with 3466 viewsbobbyramsey

At a glance, this.

"Town’s other central strikers, Kayden Jackson, Oli Hawkins, Troy Parrott, Freddie Sears and Aaron Drinan, have scored just one league goal each in a combined 4,671 minutes of action. Many of those appearances are from the bench, but combine for nearly 52 full games of football.
Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 08:22 - Apr 22 with 3465 viewsMuncher

For me the telling one is zero goals on the counter attack, all of the other stats flow from that, we are so slow getting forward we show no attacking whatsoever. The number of offsides from Norwood and the fouls from Dozzell are also not in the slightest bit surprising. I was astonished the number of “unsuccessful touches” was that low, I can usually count that number in a 5 minute spell.
Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 08:39 - Apr 22 with 3387 viewspointofblue

When Cook took over we were on a goal difference of +6.

We had scored 35 goals in 30 matches - still bad more than a goal a game.

Prior to Cook taking over, Town’s longest run of games without a goal was three.

In Cook’s time in charge we have conceded an average of 1.25 goals per game. Prior to this we conceded 0.96 goals per game.

Town have scored more than one goal in 13 of their matches - two of those occurred under Cook.

Ignoring the mini bump at the end of the run, Lambert had us 17th in the form table in the twelve matches between 15/12 and 16/2 - before the mini revival began. And that’s even though we played five less matches than some teams over that time. Cook currently has us 20th.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 8:40]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 08:55 - Apr 22 with 3312 viewsHerbivore

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 08:39 - Apr 22 by pointofblue

Prior to Cook taking over, Town’s longest run of games without a goal was three.

In Cook’s time in charge we have conceded an average of 1.25 goals per game. Prior to this we conceded 0.96 goals per game.

Town have scored more than one goal in 13 of their matches - two of those occurred under Cook.

Ignoring the mini bump at the end of the run, Lambert had us 17th in the form table in the twelve matches between 15/12 and 16/2 - before the mini revival began. And that’s even though we played five less matches than some teams over that time. Cook currently has us 20th.

The comparisons are rather pointless though. Lambert had 2.5 years to put together and coach that squad and couldn't get a tune out of them. Cook has had to pick up the shambles Lambert left and has had very little time to do any meaningful work with them or to try and reshape the squad. Cook has been disappointing, I'd hoped for more, but ignoring what a mess Lambert (and Evans) left him with is disingenuous.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 08:57 - Apr 22 with 3291 viewslowhouseblue

you can do anything with statistics. at leats it's been fun to watch

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 08:58 - Apr 22 with 3284 viewspointofblue

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 08:55 - Apr 22 by Herbivore

The comparisons are rather pointless though. Lambert had 2.5 years to put together and coach that squad and couldn't get a tune out of them. Cook has had to pick up the shambles Lambert left and has had very little time to do any meaningful work with them or to try and reshape the squad. Cook has been disappointing, I'd hoped for more, but ignoring what a mess Lambert (and Evans) left him with is disingenuous.

I agree, Cook deserves to have a chance to sort this over the summer but he has come in and made things worse - something I doubt any of us thought possible.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:03 - Apr 22 with 3261 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is damning for Cook.

“The Blues are as close to the relegation zone as they are to the automatic promotion places. The gap to both is 18 points”

When he was appointed we were 9 points off automatic promotion with 3 games in hand. We’ve now played the same number of games as the top 2.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:06 - Apr 22 with 3246 viewsBarneycurley

Wow - amazing to think they were 7th when PC took over, what luck

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:12 - Apr 22 with 3206 viewsdirtyboy

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 08:22 - Apr 22 by Muncher

For me the telling one is zero goals on the counter attack, all of the other stats flow from that, we are so slow getting forward we show no attacking whatsoever. The number of offsides from Norwood and the fouls from Dozzell are also not in the slightest bit surprising. I was astonished the number of “unsuccessful touches” was that low, I can usually count that number in a 5 minute spell.

I'm glad i'm not alone.

I'm comfortable with possession football, but there has to be a point where you look up and if there's nothing on, take the ball forward, team mate drops in or at least expect someone further up making a run that you can at least attempt to pass to, ie; nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I really do believe Cook will find a few key personnel to change this and whilst we think a complete overhaul will happen, i'm not entirely sure, but a few quality additions in the right areas will make a massive difference to this team.

LB, CD, AM x 2 maybe CM + GK too. 6 players..over 50% of the playing team would be a massive difference.

That we are still remotely in with a sniff off the playoffs suggest that whilst we're all generally unhappy, a few changes IF they are improvements, will make a big difference next year.

The more I see the season slip away, hope gone, the more I start to look at it without any emotion and I don't think it's the demolition job we all think. Of course, the overall squad needs a big trim though.
Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:14 - Apr 22 with 3191 viewshatch

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 07:41 - Apr 22 by dirtyboy

Now I’m not suggesting that we play counter attacking football, but the fact we’ve never scored any in that manner is what highlights a serious lack of any urgency in getting forward.

It’s this that Cook has inherited. Not lack of skill. Not lack of ability. Just an inherent inability to react with intent.

Lambert tried to drill in a ‘play it slowly out from the back’ approach in pre-season which was soon abandoned but we head how important pre-season is and we spent it trying to play like Man City. We lost most our pre season games to this tactic.

One comment to add is that we have actually had one penalty this season at Accrington - but Norwood missed it. So that stat needs an edit.
Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:21 - Apr 22 with 3157 viewsLeBlue

"Their goal difference is currently —3. No club in the top half of any of the EFL divisions has a worse goal difference."

Apart from AccrIngton Stanley (-6) and Luton (-12). I'm assuming that some of the other stats are equally made up.
Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:26 - Apr 22 with 3122 viewsSteve_M

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:21 - Apr 22 by LeBlue

"Their goal difference is currently —3. No club in the top half of any of the EFL divisions has a worse goal difference."

Apart from AccrIngton Stanley (-6) and Luton (-12). I'm assuming that some of the other stats are equally made up.

I'm not convinced that we haven't scored a counter-attacking goal this season either (Norwood at Portsmouth?).

We know we're crap, this is just desperation for clicks and something to say.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:31 - Apr 22 with 3074 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 07:47 - Apr 22 by mo_itfc

Look at those stats. They aren't over 12 games fella.

This is just a terrible terrible team. Nothing to do with Cook.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:34 - Apr 22 with 3061 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 08:22 - Apr 22 by Muncher

Those little tug backs Dozzell does when a player goes past him do my nut in.

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:39 - Apr 22 with 3032 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:03 - Apr 22 by GlasgowBlue

This is damning for Cook.

“The Blues are as close to the relegation zone as they are to the automatic promotion places. The gap to both is 18 points”

When he was appointed we were 9 points off automatic promotion with 3 games in hand. We’ve now played the same number of games as the top 2.

I don't think it is damning for Cook actually. The more I think about it, it's the disruption and uncertainty over the takeover that's made us worse, rather than anything Cook has or hasn't done.

Unfortunately he came in at the same time as that was happening, and people tend to blame managers for poor results. We've been blaming every manager who walks through the door for years. When are we going to realise there are other factors at play?

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:51 - Apr 22 with 2967 viewsbraveblue

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 08:39 - Apr 22 by pointofblue

If we are looking at stats you can’t ignore a good run at the end just because it changes the outcome. It is what it is. Unfortunately, the stats show that Cook is doing worse than Lambert.
Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:54 - Apr 22 with 2945 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:51 - Apr 22 by braveblue

If we are looking at stats you can’t ignore a good run at the end just because it changes the outcome. It is what it is. Unfortunately, the stats show that Cook is doing worse than Lambert.

It wasn't a good run. It was 3 slightly improved games that papered over the cracks when Lambert had taken a step back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024