Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just play the youth.... 08:04 - Apr 22 with 710 viewsSparky85

We have reached that point of the season where playoff's are gone and there is no further damage that can be done. We have 4 games left and Cook by now should know who is going and who is staying next year.

There are plenty of players (Simpson, Gibbs, Chirewa, Crowe to name a few) that we have heard good things about and also seen in action, that could really do with the first team exposure. 1 game at the end of the season isn't enough. If Cook is bringing his wrecking ball at the end of the season, give some of these lads a chance to show what they can do.

There's clearly talent in the u18's as well (cup QF).

The only positive I can really see from this season is the amount of youth products that have played games. Lets give some more a chance to see if we can keep adding to the list.

I am struggling to bring myself to watch games at the moment, but a team of the u23's and u18's is something I can get behind for the next 4 games.
[Redacted] on 08:08 - Apr 22 with 688 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Just play the youth.... on 08:20 - Apr 22 with 649 viewsGuthrum

Not sure how much good a string of heavy defeats and being bullied off the ball by bigger and stronger players would do them.

A better way to go down that route, for me, would be to draft in a sizeable contingent of Youth, but support them within a framework of senior players. Maybe around 5 in the starting lineup and another 3 or 4 on the bench. That way they have a chance to shine, there is some experience to fall back on and in-game mentoring can take place.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Just play the youth.... on 08:25 - Apr 22 with 631 viewssaffers12

Just play the youth.... on 08:20 - Apr 22 by Guthrum

Not sure how much good a string of heavy defeats and being bullied off the ball by bigger and stronger players would do them.

A better way to go down that route, for me, would be to draft in a sizeable contingent of Youth, but support them within a framework of senior players. Maybe around 5 in the starting lineup and another 3 or 4 on the bench. That way they have a chance to shine, there is some experience to fall back on and in-game mentoring can take place.

I think that is spot on but PC seems reluctant to do this, seems a shame
Just play the youth.... on 08:27 - Apr 22 with 631 viewsitfcjoe

I wouldn't listen to names you've heard lots about as often that means little with regards to current performances and is more linked to contracts.

Just let the 23s and 18s try and win their competitions this season, we've got enough players who will be here next year that can be utilised as it is

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Just play the youth.... on 08:39 - Apr 22 with 576 viewsGuthrum

Just play the youth.... on 08:25 - Apr 22 by saffers12

I think that is spot on but PC seems reluctant to do this, seems a shame

Not sure that's entirely fair on Cook. There was still something to play for and he had a senior squad to look over as well. Experiments like that can only be conducted with real end-of-season dead rubbers.

Plus, as Joe points out, we don't want to ruin the Youths' chances of doing well in their own competitions.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Just play the youth.... on 08:41 - Apr 22 with 571 viewsParky

Just play the youth.... on 08:27 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

I wouldn't listen to names you've heard lots about as often that means little with regards to current performances and is more linked to contracts.

Just let the 23s and 18s try and win their competitions this season, we've got enough players who will be here next year that can be utilised as it is

Whilst I agree, I don’t think it would benefit anybody just chucking our youngsters in the deep end, I’d be extremely surprised and disappointed if we could field an XI with players that are going to be here next year.

Edit - With players from our current first team*
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 8:47]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024