Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
From ESL to BSL... not sign language 11:40 - Apr 22 with 894 viewswkj

So the latest idea to 'fix football' is to create a British super league featuring rangers and Celtic. 18 teams, with a top 4 play off for the title.

Not quite as obnoxious as the ESL, but surely something just as damaging by tightening the screws on being able to reach the Premier League?

Would Rangers and Celtic be immune from relegation, or would the Premier League decide to shut shop and do away with relegation all together?

Potential troubling times as the Premier League now seem restless.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-celtic-l
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 11:42]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

From ESL to BSL... not sign language on 12:58 - Apr 22 with 768 viewsNthQldITFC

I've got a proposal:

England should have four divisions of one league called, oh I dunno, the 'First Division', 'Second Division', 'Third Division' and 'Fourth Division' of the 'Football League'. Then the top and bottom three from each would, where applicable, get promoted or relegated negating the need for any silly 'play-offs' and making promotion a true representation of good performance over a season. Below that you could have a regionalised structure named maybe, 'The Conference'.

The FA Cup I wouldn't change (I'm not that radical), and you could even have a sort of half-arsed, maybe optional 'League Cup' for tinpot clubs to play against each other in and maybe get a bit of plate silver or pewter to put in their otherwise empty and oh-so disappointed cabinets.

Europe could have a, shall we say, 'European Cup' for the champions of each country (kind of like a real 'Champions League'), and perhaps a 'UEFA cup' for a number of runners-up from each country (dependent upon the strength of that country), and even a 'Cup Winners' Cup' for a little extra spice.

Internationally a competition between the home nations, say 'The British Home Championship', would make sense from a carbon emissions and CoViD-secure perspective, a 'European Championship' if you like and the 'World Cup' which ought maybe to be limited to countries where humans can breathe during the heat of the day without artificial respiration.

Perhaps all of that is a bit too extreme of a change for some, but it's just my twopenn'orth, (which is co-incidentally a decent starting point for discussions about a salary cap) and what I think would 'fix football'.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

From ESL to BSL... not sign language on 13:09 - Apr 22 with 739 viewssouthnorfolkblue

It smacks of hypocrisy and self interest. The remaining 14 PL clubs stood to lose the most from the ESL formation. Then it was all about the integration of the pyramid etc.

How quickly the tune changes

Poll: Our final position

From ESL to BSL... not sign language on 13:11 - Apr 22 with 729 viewsBlueastheycome

on 01:00 - Jan 1 by

In terms of packed out attendances in the SPL for when Rangers and Celtic come to town then yes.

It does open up the possibility of a more competitive SPL, not only in SPL titles but the availability for European spots as a result of Rangers and Celtic not occupying them.

I guess Rangers and Celtic would have to consider whether the trade off between guaranteed participation in the European competitions would outweigh (or not outweigh) being in the premier league with all the tv money etc. If they both nail it in the prem they could be on to a winner financially, reputation etc

On a personal level though, I feel it would be fascinating to have them both in there. Especially if one does better than the other one.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 13:13]
From ESL to BSL... not sign language on 13:12 - Apr 22 with 722 viewsfooters

Not including Swansea and Cardiff is a bit unfair.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

From ESL to BSL... not sign language on 13:32 - Apr 22 with 658 viewsChurchman

From ESL to BSL... not sign language on 13:11 - Apr 22 by Blueastheycome

In terms of packed out attendances in the SPL for when Rangers and Celtic come to town then yes.

It does open up the possibility of a more competitive SPL, not only in SPL titles but the availability for European spots as a result of Rangers and Celtic not occupying them.

I guess Rangers and Celtic would have to consider whether the trade off between guaranteed participation in the European competitions would outweigh (or not outweigh) being in the premier league with all the tv money etc. If they both nail it in the prem they could be on to a winner financially, reputation etc

On a personal level though, I feel it would be fascinating to have them both in there. Especially if one does better than the other one.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 13:13]

I wouldn’t want them here with all the baggage they carry. I would add that with Scotland almost certainly being independent in a few years time it’d make no sense whatsoever.

The Premier League will, I’m sure, reduce or end relegation and promotion regardless. It’s in their interests to do so, even if it’s not in anybody else’s.

There was a lot of hypocrisy and self interest from the other PL clubs about the ESL. They’re just as keen to trouser the cash as anyone else and they couldn’t give two hoots about the game, the football league or grass roots. When it came to changing the academy structure, the reason had zippo to do with improving the opportunities for young players and everything to do with hoovering them up at zero cost.
From ESL to BSL... not sign language on 13:35 - Apr 22 with 652 viewsBluJu

Step 1 - identify the problem.
I want someone to tell me how football is broken.

Because if it is broken - and it's a big "if", then I'll wager that the problem is caused by all the money in the game. "Solving" that by generating more money - which is surely what these get-richer schemes are all about - simply makes things worse.

If the super-rich clubs can't sustain their levels of spending, then they should solve that themselves, by spending less. Much like the rest of us do in our daily lives.
From ESL to BSL... not sign language on 14:31 - Apr 22 with 543 viewswkj

From ESL to BSL... not sign language on 13:35 - Apr 22 by BluJu

Step 1 - identify the problem.
I want someone to tell me how football is broken.

Because if it is broken - and it's a big "if", then I'll wager that the problem is caused by all the money in the game. "Solving" that by generating more money - which is surely what these get-richer schemes are all about - simply makes things worse.

If the super-rich clubs can't sustain their levels of spending, then they should solve that themselves, by spending less. Much like the rest of us do in our daily lives.

Really, the distribution of riches is the main one. The premier league hasn't exactly had an impact on the national game.

Crybaby

From ESL to BSL... not sign language on 14:54 - Apr 22 with 508 viewsrickw

This idea has always been voted down as most PL clubs fear relegation and with 2 less places available this will increase the chances.

However I think this is the way it will go eventually, but has to be done with promotion and relegation.
I.e. top 2 go into the PL, next 2 go into the Championship , then you have a Scottish and English "League 1"

In the future I can also see Spain and Portugal merging leagues, perhaps Scandinavia, Germany + Austria, then eventually it will become a ESL (it's inevitable) but I think this will be in 25-30 years time, not the half baked idea they came up with this week.....

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Login to get fewer ads

From ESL to BSL... not sign language on 14:56 - Apr 22 with 502 viewsDarth_Koont

As a Hibs fan I’d be tempted to let them go. On the proviso that they play their home games in Carlisle.

Pronouns: He/Him

From ESL to BSL... not sign language on 15:01 - Apr 22 with 495 viewswkj

From ESL to BSL... not sign language on 14:56 - Apr 22 by Darth_Koont

As a Hibs fan I’d be tempted to let them go. On the proviso that they play their home games in Carlisle.

Thing of it all is that I'd welcome Celtic and Rangers into the league - but they would have to start outside of the premier league, and would be subject to relegation along side every other team.

My huge concern is if this becomes a closed door league - if so, no good.

My mad theory is that the PL are going to attempt to make the premier league into 18 teams, but then suddenly say... you know what - lets make it Premier League 1 and Premier League 2, where by the top performers in the league face off to div out the league title and euro spots.

Crybaby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024