Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Huge statement of intent from Biden 14:28 - Apr 22 with 6870 viewsStokieBlue

Was it expected that he would commit the US to halving their emissions in the next 8.5 years?

That's a huge commitment, one I am surprised they are even able to attempt. I imagine it'll also sent the Republicans into total meltdown.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56837927

Also an excellent animation on there showing the emissions of the biggest polluters over time. The rise of China since about 2010 is ridiculous.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 14:37 - Apr 22 with 2790 viewswkj

I hope it works for the USA - but if this causes a big enough tissy he'll be on a tightrope for gaining a 2nd term.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 14:53 - Apr 22 with 2766 viewsDarth_Koont

Certainly a major step in the right direction. He’s committing to go way farther than the traditional establishment Democrats would go normally.

But, and this has massive lessons for the opposition in the UK, that’s because he also needs to maintain a broad coalition including the left and the young. They were what brought him into office and provided his campaign with positive energy and an antidote to right-wing populism where establishment Democrats are often more of hindrance than a help.

At some level as well, you also get the impression that there’s an underlying realization that the USA really needs to change and take leadership in areas like this if its influence is not going to be swept away by Asia and to a lesser extent Europe. They might be growing up.

Pronouns: He/Him

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 18:15 - Apr 22 with 2680 viewsfooters

And another. 43% tax on the wealthy. Wow. Some progressive politics from across the pond.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 18:27 - Apr 22 with 2658 viewsStokieBlue

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 18:15 - Apr 22 by footers

And another. 43% tax on the wealthy. Wow. Some progressive politics from across the pond.

Specifically for those earning households over 400k USD per year.

All looks very sensible to me. Mostly capital gains changes along with a small increase to the maximum rate which still looks pretty low (unless I've missed something).

SB

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 18:39 - Apr 22 with 2640 viewsHARRY10

The point there is how much of what China produces is consumed by the US and the 'west'
Huge statement of intent from Biden on 19:19 - Apr 22 with 2614 viewsStokieBlue

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 18:39 - Apr 22 by HARRY10

The point there is how much of what China produces is consumed by the US and the 'west'

Whilst that is relevant I don't think that it should only be looked at in that way.

China wanted and has designed an economy to supply the rest of the world. The fact we buy the stuff doesn't mean they should be given leeway when it comes to reducing the emissions of their economy given it was their choice to structure it that way.

SB

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 19:36 - Apr 22 with 2589 viewsHARRY10

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 19:19 - Apr 22 by StokieBlue

Whilst that is relevant I don't think that it should only be looked at in that way.

China wanted and has designed an economy to supply the rest of the world. The fact we buy the stuff doesn't mean they should be given leeway when it comes to reducing the emissions of their economy given it was their choice to structure it that way.

SB

" The fact we buy the stuff doesn't mean they should be given leeway "

I can't see where I have said that - in fact my point was to the opposite

That it is rather misleading for the west to be making noises about cleaning up their act while still benefitting from one of the worst polluters, as

"I've stop polluting the neighbourhood by having smokey bonfires, the bloke next door burns the stuff for me instead "
Huge statement of intent from Biden on 19:45 - Apr 22 with 2556 viewschicoazul

Unless you get the Chinese Indians Indonesians Mexicans and Brazilians to commit to similar policies all this green stuff is totally pointless apart from making us feel a bit better about ourselves and not letting Greta shout at us too much.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 19:49 - Apr 22 with 2561 viewsfooters

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 19:45 - Apr 22 by chicoazul

Unless you get the Chinese Indians Indonesians Mexicans and Brazilians to commit to similar policies all this green stuff is totally pointless apart from making us feel a bit better about ourselves and not letting Greta shout at us too much.

Aside from one of the world's biggest polluters decreasing its carbon outputs you're totally right, luv.

It's like Tesco, innit. Every little helps.

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 19:52 - Apr 22 with 2531 viewschicoazul

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 19:49 - Apr 22 by footers

Aside from one of the world's biggest polluters decreasing its carbon outputs you're totally right, luv.

It's like Tesco, innit. Every little helps.

It doesn’t help, at all. Look at China alone and their new coal plants coming on line. It’s pointless.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 19:55 - Apr 22 with 2542 viewsfooters

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 19:52 - Apr 22 by chicoazul

It doesn’t help, at all. Look at China alone and their new coal plants coming on line. It’s pointless.

Best do nothing then, I guess! Just wait for China to take the lead and follow suit.

You really are a silly egg sometimes, chickers.

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 19:59 - Apr 22 with 2523 viewsHARRY10

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 19:45 - Apr 22 by chicoazul

have you been at the Mail again ?

I've seen plenty like you who start off that way, next ting you know they are mainlining David Icke
Huge statement of intent from Biden on 20:12 - Apr 22 with 2455 viewschicoazul

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 19:55 - Apr 22 by footers

Best do nothing then, I guess! Just wait for China to take the lead and follow suit.

You really are a silly egg sometimes, chickers.

Do nothing, no. That’s the opposite of what I’m saying. I would slap enormous sanctions on China et al and force them to stop building coal plants. That’s what’s needed.

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 20:13 - Apr 22 with 2452 viewschicoazul

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 19:59 - Apr 22 by HARRY10

have you been at the Mail again ?

I've seen plenty like you who start off that way, next ting you know they are mainlining David Icke

You really are a very boring and stupid man.

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 20:35 - Apr 22 with 2439 views26_Paz

Very positive news. Let’s just hope targets can be actualised.

The Paz Man

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 20:41 - Apr 22 with 2436 viewsStokieBlue

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 19:36 - Apr 22 by HARRY10

" The fact we buy the stuff doesn't mean they should be given leeway "

I can't see where I have said that - in fact my point was to the opposite

That it is rather misleading for the west to be making noises about cleaning up their act while still benefitting from one of the worst polluters, as

"I've stop polluting the neighbourhood by having smokey bonfires, the bloke next door burns the stuff for me instead "

You've misunderstood my post.

Is it misleading for the West to want another nation that specifically chose to build their economy around that supply to the West to clean up it's act?

The West didn't force China to design their economy that way. To absolve them isn't right either. Yes some responsibility is with us for buying that stuff but people are also responsible for their own economies and how they planned them.

It's also far from just stuff we buy, they have a massive internal industry and usage of power which is nothing to do with the West.

SB
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 20:47]

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 20:46 - Apr 22 with 2426 viewsSpruceMoose

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 20:35 - Apr 22 by 26_Paz

Very positive news. Let’s just hope targets can be actualised.

You were a a massive Trump fan, and now you're here saying this is a positive change? Why were you such a fanboy for the very opposite of this?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 20:46 - Apr 22 with 2425 viewsStokieBlue

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 19:52 - Apr 22 by chicoazul

I don't think that's true.

The US is the second largest polluter on the planet, if they reduce their emissions by 50+% it makes a significant difference. It makes even more of a difference when combined with Japan, Canada, countries in Europe etc all looking to do the same.

China need to up their game but they are making the right noises, by 2030 at least 40% of power supplied by grids will legally need to be renewable. They have lots of coal power stations but these things don't change overnight. Let's not forget, China, whilst richer is still not like the West. 600m people still earn less than 154 USD per month and have limited options on what energy they can afford and use.

You are right though that China need to do more, I am not sure sanctions is going to make that happen though. It's hard to know what exactly would work except them making the decision to change themselves.

SB
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 20:49]

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 20:47 - Apr 22 with 2417 views26_Paz

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 20:46 - Apr 22 by SpruceMoose

You were a a massive Trump fan, and now you're here saying this is a positive change? Why were you such a fanboy for the very opposite of this?

I wouldn’t say I was a trump ‘fan boy’ I would have voted for him over Biden though, still would. I think Biden is pretty useless and ineffective in pretty much all areas bar this. I call a spade a spade though and this is a good policy.

The Paz Man

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 20:49 - Apr 22 with 2415 viewsStokieBlue

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 20:47 - Apr 22 by 26_Paz

I wouldn’t say I was a trump ‘fan boy’ I would have voted for him over Biden though, still would. I think Biden is pretty useless and ineffective in pretty much all areas bar this. I call a spade a spade though and this is a good policy.

Biden has been very effective since he took over.

List some policies that have been ineffective and why.

SB

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 20:49 - Apr 22 with 2410 viewsSpruceMoose

Oh really? What are your views on some specific things he's done since being in office?

You'd still vote for Trump? Mental.

And you are the least straight talking poster on this forum. Spade a spade my arse!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 20:50 - Apr 22 with 2406 viewsfooters

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 20:49 - Apr 22 by StokieBlue

SB

I expect the reply will include the 'Sleepy Joe' epithet.

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 20:50 - Apr 22 with 2403 viewseastangliaisblue

HAHAHAHAHA........HAHAHAHAHAHA
Huge statement of intent from Biden on 20:50 - Apr 22 with 2402 viewsSpruceMoose

SB

Beat me to it.

When Paz says Biden has been ineffective, I assume he means he's been ineffective at betraying the country, ineffective at killing off 500,000 additional US citizens through an appalling Covid response, and has been ineffective at stoking racial tensions across the land. Plus, a few ethnics might have been vaccinated and Paz is not about that kind of business!

I'm sure he's frantically Googling for something to use now though.

Thinking about it, he's probably upset that Biden pushed through that stimulus package that fed some hungry kids.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 20:55]

Huge statement of intent from Biden on 20:52 - Apr 22 with 2389 viewsfooters

SB

I'd also like a list of decent Trump policies and why he'd be worth voting for again.

Think it'll be a while on that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024