Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested 17:10 - Apr 22 with 2728 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Why Scott Barron as head of recruitment? I've cut and paste Brentford's job description for the same role.

The Role of Head of Recruitment
The main responsibility of the Head of Recruitment is to enable Brentford FC to identify and recruit undervalued players faster and more effectively than our competitors.

That involves being able to:
- Lead a team of scouts
- Understand how and when to apply objective and subjective scouting methods
- Build relationships to key stakeholders in the market place: agents, clubs etc.
- Use technology where it makes the scouting process more effective
- Translate a recruitment strategy into specific actions and weekly targets
- Structure information and presenting it in a effective way

Essential Personal Characteristics

- Excellent at creating structure and run processes
- Outstanding people skills. The ability to build relationships is essential in this role.
- Great communication skills
- Open-minded towards new and sometimes unconventional ideas that can improve current practices

General Club Accountabilities
- To ensure compliance with all relevant Club policies, including health and safety policies.
- To ensure compliance with all relevant legal, regulatory, ethical and social requirements.
- To build and maintain good working relationships both internally and externally, maintaining a professional image at all times when representing Brentford Football Club.
- To keep confidential any information gained regarding the Club and its personnel.
- To maintain a flexible approach to work at all times.

Clearly, his experience with his business gives him all of the personal characteristics and some of the club accountabilities, but I'm not sure I can see anything to give him the main skills for the role. I would have imagined someone with more experience of scouting to lead a new recruitment team?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 17:12 - Apr 22 with 2685 viewschrismakin

Must admit. I pictured some 50 year old ex chairman/ex manager to do the role.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 17:12 - Apr 22 with 2687 viewsStokieBlue

You don't need much knowledge to start up FM2021.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 17:14 - Apr 22 with 2656 viewsBryanPlug

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 17:12 - Apr 22 by chrismakin

Must admit. I pictured some 50 year old ex chairman/ex manager to do the role.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 17:14 - Apr 22 with 2654 viewsSteve_M

I'm not so sure that he needs to be a good scout himself to lead that role, that job description tends towards the managerial. It's also the case that, quite often, the problem with experience in football is it tends towards the stale way of doing thing, or not doing things in Dave Bowman's case.

I don't know enough about the remit (that job description is helpful though) nor Barron's skillset to have a strong opinion here but, again, it seems to be a case of not hanging around and getting on with appointing people to new roles - that is certainly welcome.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 17:15 - Apr 22 with 2635 viewschrismakin

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 17:14 - Apr 22 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

I dunno. But the one weve got is part time and waiting to join up with mick.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 19:13 - Apr 22 with 2414 viewsGeoffSentence

is that THE Scott Barron?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 19:24 - Apr 22 with 2361 viewsFixed_It

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 19:13 - Apr 22 by GeoffSentence

is that THE Scott Barron?

The one and only.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 19:26 - Apr 22 with 2340 viewsMattinLondon

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 19:24 - Apr 22 by Fixed_It

The one and only.

Not sure why you’re asking for that song - but here you go.

Login to get fewer ads

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 19:52 - Apr 22 with 2259 viewsPhilTWTD

There's a fair bit of scouting in his current role. I see him up at the training ground watching the U23s fairly regularly. I know him a little bit and think he comes across as likeable and competent.
Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 01:09 - Apr 23 with 1887 viewschrismakin

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 19:52 - Apr 22 by PhilTWTD

There's a fair bit of scouting in his current role. I see him up at the training ground watching the U23s fairly regularly. I know him a little bit and think he comes across as likeable and competent.

Phil, when/if the chance comes up, can we find out if we will start to spread our recruitment wings over the water?

According to 'The Athletic' lots of foreign clubs are in financial difficulties and will be open to a bit of poaching.

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 04:06 - Apr 23 with 1842 viewsitfctilidie

It is an interesting appointment.

Looking on old mate google I found this from the Bristol Post from May 2019 which explained their summer plans for player recruitment

Link - https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-transfer

The way Ashton structured it there was that his recruitment department reports to him on a daily basis and work closely with the manager and coaching staff - Bristol City called this a Head of Technical Recruitment, which I assume this will Be Scott Barron just with a slightly different job title.

Under their Head of Technical Recruitment was a team of data analysts - believed to be around 10 - Maybe we will see something similar to this develop here over the coming weeks.

They also had a Head of Scouting and with Dave Bowman leaving, I would expect someone will come into this role - It is then mentioned they have 10-12 scouts - I would be happy with 1 or 2 at the minute as it would be an improvement on what we currently seem to have (?)

I am interested that Ashton felt the need to bolster expertise in overseas markets - this is definitely the way to go in my opinion. Hopefully there are some contacts he is lining up for these roles - It would be nice to have the likes of Sito (i dont even know if he is a scout or what) recommending some Spanish lower league players for example.

Basically Scott Barron is to be the man to lead a team of data analysts to identify the players for the scouting team to then provide further analysis against the data.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2021 4:07]
Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 04:14 - Apr 23 with 1829 viewschrismakin

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 04:06 - Apr 23 by itfctilidie

It is an interesting appointment.

Looking on old mate google I found this from the Bristol Post from May 2019 which explained their summer plans for player recruitment

Link - https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-transfer

The way Ashton structured it there was that his recruitment department reports to him on a daily basis and work closely with the manager and coaching staff - Bristol City called this a Head of Technical Recruitment, which I assume this will Be Scott Barron just with a slightly different job title.

Under their Head of Technical Recruitment was a team of data analysts - believed to be around 10 - Maybe we will see something similar to this develop here over the coming weeks.

They also had a Head of Scouting and with Dave Bowman leaving, I would expect someone will come into this role - It is then mentioned they have 10-12 scouts - I would be happy with 1 or 2 at the minute as it would be an improvement on what we currently seem to have (?)

I am interested that Ashton felt the need to bolster expertise in overseas markets - this is definitely the way to go in my opinion. Hopefully there are some contacts he is lining up for these roles - It would be nice to have the likes of Sito (i dont even know if he is a scout or what) recommending some Spanish lower league players for example.

Basically Scott Barron is to be the man to lead a team of data analysts to identify the players for the scouting team to then provide further analysis against the data.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2021 4:07]

It's interesting the BC fans are quite vocal on the failures of M/A when the owner has made it clear that it's not M/A making the final decisions on the players.

Funnily enough on your point about foreign leagues, I asked Phil earlier if he could find out if it's something we will be looking at more as lots of financial problems around the globe and it's where the bargains are, something we've missed for many years.. when was the last time we took a risk on a player from abroad? Excl bennetts loan

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 07:16 - Apr 23 with 1646 viewshoppy

*..an effective way.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 08:48 - Apr 23 with 1473 viewsGeoffSentence

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 01:09 - Apr 23 by chrismakin

Phil, when/if the chance comes up, can we find out if we will start to spread our recruitment wings over the water?

According to 'The Athletic' lots of foreign clubs are in financial difficulties and will be open to a bit of poaching.

Will this be trickier posr Brexit?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 08:49 - Apr 23 with 1467 viewsDanTheMan

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 04:14 - Apr 23 by chrismakin

It's interesting the BC fans are quite vocal on the failures of M/A when the owner has made it clear that it's not M/A making the final decisions on the players.

Funnily enough on your point about foreign leagues, I asked Phil earlier if he could find out if it's something we will be looking at more as lots of financial problems around the globe and it's where the bargains are, something we've missed for many years.. when was the last time we took a risk on a player from abroad? Excl bennetts loan

Funnily enough on your point about foreign leagues, I asked Phil earlier if he could find out if it's something we will be looking at more as lots of financial problems around the globe and it's where the bargains are, something we've missed for many years

I know I've been banging this drum a lot but this isn't something we're going to be able to do anywhere near as easily as before because of work permits.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 08:52 - Apr 23 with 1450 viewschrismakin

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 08:49 - Apr 23 by DanTheMan

Funnily enough on your point about foreign leagues, I asked Phil earlier if he could find out if it's something we will be looking at more as lots of financial problems around the globe and it's where the bargains are, something we've missed for many years

I know I've been banging this drum a lot but this isn't something we're going to be able to do anywhere near as easily as before because of work permits.

What's he sticky point with them? Clearly some clubs get them in...

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 08:56 - Apr 23 with 1435 viewsDanTheMan

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 08:52 - Apr 23 by chrismakin

What's he sticky point with them? Clearly some clubs get them in...

When you say "clearly some clubs get them in", do you mean since January? You'll have to point me to some examples.

Because of Brexit, work permits now apply to basically all other countries.

This means if we buy a player they'll either need to be playing for a decent national team (top 50 I think) or be playing in a decent league. Given the points requirements needed, it's highly unlikely a player willing to come to League One would qualify.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 09:04 - Apr 23 with 1404 viewschrismakin

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 08:56 - Apr 23 by DanTheMan

When you say "clearly some clubs get them in", do you mean since January? You'll have to point me to some examples.

This means if we buy a player they'll either need to be playing for a decent national team (top 50 I think) or be playing in a decent league. Given the points requirements needed, it's highly unlikely a player willing to come to League One would qualify.

Ah ok. Understand now. Sorry didnt even think about Brexit

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 10:34 - Apr 23 with 1292 viewsEireannach_gorm

Before anyone jumps off the 'pile on' wagon, I'm just interested on 08:56 - Apr 23 by DanTheMan

The exception there is the Ireland.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024