Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? 11:30 - Apr 24 with 12155 viewsnoggin

I'm considering binning the rat race asap, which is in 5 years time. I estimate that I will have around 2 grand a month but no more than around 50k capital after selling up. I'm single and fancy living somewhere with a decent climate and where I can get by speaking English to begin with.. Preferably in Europe.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:32 - Apr 24 with 4442 viewsfooters

If all else fails, you can top and tail with me for 500 a month, brother nogs. Don't worry, I always wash my feet before bed.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:32 - Apr 24 with 4444 viewsitfcjoe

If you are happy to be off mainland Europe then either Cyprus or Malta are very easy places to get by in English, and plenty of areas there where it is very cheap to live

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:37 - Apr 24 with 4402 viewseireblue

Burnley and a second hand tanning bed.
Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:37 - Apr 24 with 4398 viewsDarth_Koont

Southern Europe. But as a lover of the Atlantic then the west coast of the Iberian peninsula looks good.

La Coruna? Oporto? They’re big enough, and young enough, to have a fair bit of English speaking.

But I’ve only visited the area. I’m sure someone else can give much more insight there.

Pronouns: He/Him

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:37 - Apr 24 with 4398 viewsLord_Lucan

Lucan top tip.

Forget even considering Europe, you have probably lived in Europe all your life. If you want a lifestyle change then change it.

There is only one destination you should consider and that is Thailand.

Base yourself in fantastically sleazy Pattaya and for £2k a month the world is your lobster.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:38 - Apr 24 with 4379 viewsBarneycurley

Papua New Guinea

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:40 - Apr 24 with 4373 viewsWacko

Portugal - the easiest for citizenship / residency, you just need to spend 5 years there and you get permanent residency*

Croatia would also be on my list

I wouldn't worry about the language - everywhere you go you'll find people who speak English, especially in main cities - locals but also ex pat communities. They will most likely be the people you connect with the most to start with (from all walks of life, not Brit gammons). Every major city has an expat Facebook group, and they are a fantastic resource

*assuming you don't have EU residency already
[Post edited 24 Apr 2021 11:44]

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:41 - Apr 24 with 4334 viewsKeno

West coast of Ireland

or if you want somewhere hotter I'd go with Malta/Gozo

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:42 - Apr 24 with 4327 viewsChurchman

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:32 - Apr 24 by itfcjoe

If you are happy to be off mainland Europe then either Cyprus or Malta are very easy places to get by in English, and plenty of areas there where it is very cheap to live

I don’t blame you at all for wanting to call it a day as soon as you can. You only get one go at this living game so go for it. Malta and Cyprus really lovely, interesting places. Madeira maybe? Lovely place to holiday with a great climate, but I don’t know the cost of living there.

I mate of mine spends the winters in Alicante at a mutual acquaintances place and in terms of living costs, reckons that is dirt cheap.
Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:43 - Apr 24 with 4317 viewsleitrimblue

West coast of Ireland, I'd go Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim or Mayo
Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:47 - Apr 24 with 4293 viewsLord_Lucan

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:43 - Apr 24 by leitrimblue

I'm sorry but this whole West coast Ireland thing is lunacy - or maybe it's some sort of wind up, I don't know.

I mean seriously, where do you want to be in the afternoon, Bantry Bay or Bangkok

What the hell is wrong with some people.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:49 - Apr 24 with 4260 viewsfooters

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:47 - Apr 24 by Lord_Lucan

I'm sorry but this whole West coast Ireland thing is lunacy - or maybe it's some sort of wind up, I don't know.

I mean seriously, where do you want to be in the afternoon, Bantry Bay or Bangkok

I'd rather be on the west coast of Ireland than surrounded by lots of fat, disgusting sex tourists.

Seriously stunning views out there.

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:51 - Apr 24 with 4234 viewsleitrimblue

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:47 - Apr 24 by Lord_Lucan

Come over for the week Lucan. I'll put you up if you bring supplies....
Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:53 - Apr 24 with 4202 viewsDarth_Koont

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:49 - Apr 24 by footers

I'd rather be on the west coast of Ireland than surrounded by lots of fat, disgusting sex tourists.

Indeed. Also the idea of a perma-holiday will be great for a year or two. But I think for most people you’d be back to square one in terms of finding a place to build a life.

Nothing wrong with being nomadic either. But again harder work than it sounds.

Pronouns: He/Him

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:54 - Apr 24 with 4200 viewsleitrimblue

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:49 - Apr 24 by footers

I've been working on the River Moy deep in Co Mayo for last few weeks. Place is stunning
Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:54 - Apr 24 with 4196 viewsKeno

who says you cant have both in Dingle

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:56 - Apr 24 with 4174 viewsfooters

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:54 - Apr 24 by leitrimblue

I've been working on the River Moy deep in Co Mayo for last few weeks. Place is stunning

It's a beautiful place, for sure. I believe there's still a yearly river Moy salmon festival in Ballina.

When I went to pick up my grandad's paper for him last week, the front page of Western People was 'Ballina tree-felling opposed'. A simpler way of life out there.

What takes you there, more earthworks and ring forts?

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:57 - Apr 24 with 4175 viewsLord_Lucan

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:51 - Apr 24 by leitrimblue

Come over for the week Lucan. I'll put you up if you bring supplies....

I like the place, I've been fishing over there. Spun around the place and it's ok for a week or so but to live there??

How on earth are you going to go on the piss at 5am and get some tucker?

I mean seriously, where could you even get a soapy?

It's a bad lifestyle choice IMHO. Noggers deserves better than that.

Edit; I am genuinely shocked that it's even a suggestion. These people need locking up.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2021 12:01]

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 12:03 - Apr 24 with 4113 viewsnoggin

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:40 - Apr 24 by Wacko

Portugal - the easiest for citizenship / residency, you just need to spend 5 years there and you get permanent residency*

Croatia would also be on my list

I wouldn't worry about the language - everywhere you go you'll find people who speak English, especially in main cities - locals but also ex pat communities. They will most likely be the people you connect with the most to start with (from all walks of life, not Brit gammons). Every major city has an expat Facebook group, and they are a fantastic resource

*assuming you don't have EU residency already
[Post edited 24 Apr 2021 11:44]

Yeah, a friend mentioned Portugal. Would 2k a month work, including rent of a small apartment? This would only be for 7 years or so and then I will get my UK state pension in addition, which is presently around 6k a year. I have Irish citizenship so no problems there.

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 12:03 - Apr 24 with 4108 viewsRyorry

Edited out - already been done (take a bow, Eireblue!)
[Post edited 24 Apr 2021 12:05]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 12:04 - Apr 24 with 4106 viewsleitrimblue

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:57 - Apr 24 by Lord_Lucan

I like the place, I've been fishing over there. Spun around the place and it's ok for a week or so but to live there??

How on earth are you going to go on the piss at 5am and get some tucker?

I mean seriously, where could you even get a soapy?

It's a bad lifestyle choice IMHO. Noggers deserves better than that.

Edit; I am genuinely shocked that it's even a suggestion. These people need locking up.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2021 12:01]

How on earth are you going to go on the piss at 5am? In a small town like Sligo there are 2 'drinking clubs' open to around 6 ish (they have no pub sign outside, just a buzzer you press to get in). The 'early bar' then opens at 6 am, think in theory it for sailors or something but in reality it's where all the misfits who refuse to let the night go end up mixing with the early drinkers. It's a true cultural experience
Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 12:04 - Apr 24 with 4095 viewsnoggin

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:43 - Apr 24 by leitrimblue

I love Ireland but want a warm climate.

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 12:07 - Apr 24 with 4075 viewsvapour_trail

Bangkok is a brilliant city.

The west coast of Ireland is an amazing part of the world. Some of my lot hail from Sligo, it’s seriously beautiful. Far too fcking cold to consider living there though.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 12:07 - Apr 24 with 4067 viewsleitrimblue

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 11:56 - Apr 24 by footers

It's a beautiful place, for sure. I believe there's still a yearly river Moy salmon festival in Ballina.

When I went to pick up my grandad's paper for him last week, the front page of Western People was 'Ballina tree-felling opposed'. A simpler way of life out there.

What takes you there, more earthworks and ring forts?

I'm working at some big old mansion in Ballina. They have a castle somewhere on their land and they trying to fit a swimming pool without hitting it.
Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 12:08 - Apr 24 with 4050 viewsKeno

Where could I retire comfortably with around 2000 quid a month? on 12:04 - Apr 24 by noggin

I love Ireland but want a warm climate.

if you want somewhere very out of the way how about the Banda Islands

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024