Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" 18:49 - Apr 24 with 2126 viewsbobbyramsey

....to having one of the worst, practically overnight.

Odd!!
Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 18:52 - Apr 24 with 2113 viewswkj

I think the players truly believed this, and now Cook is giving them a wakeup call.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 18:59 - Apr 24 with 2081 viewsTheBoyBlue

I still think it is one of the best, injury free and with the right attitude, but too little of both has happened this season or last.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 19:00 - Apr 24 with 2067 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Who said we had the best squad in the league?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 19:01 - Apr 24 with 2056 viewshomer_123

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 19:00 - Apr 24 by Cheltenham_Blue

Quite a few of us fans....truth be told.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 19:02 - Apr 24 with 2041 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 19:01 - Apr 24 by homer_123

No all of us.

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 19:03 - Apr 24 with 2038 viewsHARRY10

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 19:00 - Apr 24 by Cheltenham_Blue

Any number of folk on here

It was the regular stick used to beat Lambert with

"If only we had a decent manager ....blah blah....."
Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 19:05 - Apr 24 with 2018 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 19:03 - Apr 24 by HARRY10

You can have an uppie. But Lambert was still sh it

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 19:06 - Apr 24 with 2008 viewswkj

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 19:01 - Apr 24 by homer_123

In all honesty and without doubt our players have proven they can play much better than they are now. I still maintain the shambolic agency over player fitness is a huge consideration as we started strong and got worse and worse as the season pushed on.

The problem also is, I think most of those players think they're the best in the league too and have for a long time - and now we've a manager who has previously and consistently shone at this level, that wakeup call is here.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2021 19:06]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 19:09 - Apr 24 with 1991 viewshappybeingblue

not really it was brenna woolley and millsy saying how good the squad was, i personally thought they were awful the year they went down and last year after we fluked our way to the top of the league while the sun was out,i remember watching us play blackpool at home think it was 2-2 and i couldnt believe how poor we were so it depends if you believe the hype or judge for yourself.
Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 19:15 - Apr 24 with 1955 viewsHARRY10

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 19:05 - Apr 24 by Cheltenham_Blue

You can have an uppie. But Lambert was still sh it

The problem (ishoooooo) is that the players we sign do not have the drive to push themselves on.

Whatever training and coaching ca achieve it is only against how much each plater 'wants it'.

We have, over the years, been stuck with similar failures that other clubs have not wanted - maybe even some who have come through our youth system

For that, Evans is ultimate;y responsible. He appointed Milne and Clegg and every manager since his arrival,

As I have said. It matters little who the driver is if the car is a Robin Reliant.
Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 19:15 - Apr 24 with 1959 viewsBlueBadger

It as a squad that went on a 14 game unbeaten run despite never ever looking particularly fluent or gelled because the quality was(and possibly still is) there. The trouble was, the bloke in charge thought that this meant that he didn't actually have to coach, organise and motivative players or bother actually getting them fit.
As a result and then, when other sides gelled and achieved true match fitness spent the next 18 months indulging that delusion, supported by an equally delusional owner and fanbase who clearly enjoyed their free beer so much that they're still making excuses for him.

There's been some mad rewriting of history over the past decade at ITFC but some of the maddest has been that which involves excusing our worst two managers ever.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 20:00 - Apr 24 with 1881 viewsGarv

It was never the best, not close. Lots of people had a warped idea of the quality we had.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 20:03 - Apr 24 with 1874 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 19:03 - Apr 24 by HARRY10

It was a stick to beat Lambert with 2 years ago after we'd just come down, I think the overwhelming feeling for most of this season was Lambert not good enough, Evans not good enough, players not good enough

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 20:07 - Apr 24 with 1847 viewsBluefish

We are like an vintage grand piano. With a bit of tuning we would wipe the floor with absolutely everything at this level, sadly our pianists keep trying to play without tuning the old relic so it sounds a mess. We will no doubt just sign a modern expensive electric version next season instead
[Post edited 24 Apr 2021 20:54]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 20:34 - Apr 24 with 1763 viewsChurchman

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 18:59 - Apr 24 by TheBoyBlue

I still think it is one of the best, injury free and with the right attitude, but too little of both has happened this season or last.

I don’t think it’s even close. Despite being relegated with ease, after the opening games last season, I thought we’d walk it. That our squad would be way to strong. Others with smaller squads would tire and be reduced by injury to make the job even easier. By the time Evans idiotically gave him a five year contract, it was obvious it was not.

Injuries and the right attitude are all part of it. If you sign or retain players with poor injury records, the treatment table will be busy. If you bring in players with a poor attitude, you will have a problem. We should know, we’ve had enough of them in the past 14 years.
Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 20:53 - Apr 24 with 1713 viewsBlueBadger

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 19:15 - Apr 24 by BlueBadger

It as a squad that went on a 14 game unbeaten run despite never ever looking particularly fluent or gelled because the quality was(and possibly still is) there. The trouble was, the bloke in charge thought that this meant that he didn't actually have to coach, organise and motivative players or bother actually getting them fit.
As a result and then, when other sides gelled and achieved true match fitness spent the next 18 months indulging that delusion, supported by an equally delusional owner and fanbase who clearly enjoyed their free beer so much that they're still making excuses for him.

There's been some mad rewriting of history over the past decade at ITFC but some of the maddest has been that which involves excusing our worst two managers ever.

It's nice to see that The Realist 09 still defining our worst ever manager with his downvotes though.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 21:20 - Apr 24 with 1663 viewsVic

I’ll hold my hands up to this! They have been, and still are a lot less than the sum of their parts!

Granted some have stagnated, but we’ve seen enough of Woolfie, Bish, Downes, Dozzell, KVY, El mix, Dobra, Wilson, Nolan, Nsiala, Edwards and Jackson raptors know that they can all do better than they have for the last couple of years. Wouldn’t mind betting most will go on to have decent league 1 or championship careers.

All that said, for both their sake and the clubs, several probably need to move on.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 22:25 - Apr 24 with 1532 viewsBlueForYou

We’ve hardly scored a goal for three years yet some people assess our squad as best in the league? Jesus Christ I’ve come across some right dimwits in my time but if you really think that, well the brain needs to go for a rebuild!
Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 22:34 - Apr 24 with 1476 viewsbournemouthblue

It was one of the better squads when we came down but it's always lacked balance for me

It's never been quite right

I know when Man City were down here, one of their ex-players said we had a massive squad and many of them weren't that good

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 22:35 - Apr 24 with 1471 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 22:25 - Apr 24 by BlueForYou

We’ve hardly scored a goal for three years yet some people assess our squad as best in the league? Jesus Christ I’ve come across some right dimwits in my time but if you really think that, well the brain needs to go for a rebuild!

Yep some people have been slobbering over this squad in the last couple of years and claiming it was one of the best squads in the league. Fookin mental !

These so called 'professional players' find it hard to work harder on the training pitch as Cook had been alluding to.

Life was soooooooooeasy for many of them under not demanding Evans. No pressure, win or lose doesn't matter, players coasting and freewheeling along, nice area, reasonable pay, placid fanbase, missus & kids settled ..... FAILURE ACCEPTED !

This will be the pivotal summer for the club ! No more nice and easy payday at this club !
Strange how we've gone from having the "best squad in the league" on 22:37 - Apr 24 with 1462 viewsKeaneish

By practically over night you must mean two-years of gradual decline and poor management?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024