Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Beer Prices 20:28 - Apr 24 with 2450 viewsOldsmoker

Have beer prices gone up by a 'shocking' amount as claimed by the Daily Fail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9503949/Price-pint-rises-SEVEN-POUNDS-P

London has always been expensive but it's only up from 2.40 to 2.60 per pint (Doombar) in my local pub.
Note: It's not a trendy pub and the youngsters are at least 40.

Spoons just up the road are charging under £2 for a pint.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Beer Prices on 23:18 - Apr 24 with 1943 viewsstonojnr

the average price of a pint of beer in the UK was around £4, so if you are getting beer for £2.40, welcome to 20 years ago IMO, I havent paid £2.40 for a pint of cask beer as a matter of course since about 2001.

London is more like £5-£6 easily, higher if you start mucking about with the premium lagers/craft beers or tourist spots.

I observed during the last window pubs were open places that used to charge £3.40 for a pint pre lockdown, were pushing £3.90-£4 bracket.

understandably really they arent profiteering from it at all, its to cover the costs of the regime they are forced to operate under at the moment and losses they are taking, I mean thats the crazy thing everyone thinks the pubs being open means they are doing ok, most are losing money operating like they are now, just not as much money as they were when they were shut.

so yes I believe the article is quite accurate
Beer Prices on 23:33 - Apr 24 with 1913 viewsjeera

Crikey, £2.40.

I spent a couple of years in Derbyshire where it was around the 3 quid mark, and maybe some beers a shade under.

The local there tried to put the beer up 20p and the locals were having none of it.

The place was boycotted until the normal prices were resumed.

My local in Suffolk has been £4 but if they've put it up I shall go somewhere else. £4 is enough for an average pint in my book.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Beer Prices on 09:11 - Apr 25 with 1776 viewsTIB

London is its own entity for prices...but locals, as mentioned, people notice price increases and it’ll quickly crumble, I think people had already realised how much money they’d saved through lockdown with not going out / drinking at home.

So many pubs are tied to groups now and their hands will be tied when it comes to what they’re being charged for beer. I paid £4.40 the other night for a pint of local ale, 10p more roughly than I paid before lockdown, but, it’s a big establishment that is now only able to open its small 30 capacity beer garden so no qualms from me, just glad to see a local pub back open.

Weatherspoons, like London, its own beast. I’m sure a debate about their beer has been had on here before, on whether the beer is end of life stock?

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Beer Prices on 09:15 - Apr 25 with 1764 viewsOldsmoker

Beer Prices on 23:33 - Apr 24 by jeera

Crikey, £2.40.

I spent a couple of years in Derbyshire where it was around the 3 quid mark, and maybe some beers a shade under.

The local there tried to put the beer up 20p and the locals were having none of it.

The place was boycotted until the normal prices were resumed.

My local in Suffolk has been £4 but if they've put it up I shall go somewhere else. £4 is enough for an average pint in my book.

It was my birthday so I didn't buy any drinks.
It was an 'invite only' session, cash-only, entrance at the rear in the back room, that me and my 2 mates crashed. I think the advertised prices on the chalk board might have been for half-a-pint so £4.80 per pint seems expensive but about right. There was only the one beer, no lager or you could have spirits or bottles.
I'm now realising the landlord was holding an 'off-the-books' event.

Beer Prices on 09:19 - Apr 25 with 1752 viewsGlasgowBlue

Beer Prices on 23:18 - Apr 24 by stonojnr

the average price of a pint of beer in the UK was around £4, so if you are getting beer for £2.40, welcome to 20 years ago IMO, I havent paid £2.40 for a pint of cask beer as a matter of course since about 2001.

London is more like £5-£6 easily, higher if you start mucking about with the premium lagers/craft beers or tourist spots.

I observed during the last window pubs were open places that used to charge £3.40 for a pint pre lockdown, were pushing £3.90-£4 bracket.

understandably really they arent profiteering from it at all, its to cover the costs of the regime they are forced to operate under at the moment and losses they are taking, I mean thats the crazy thing everyone thinks the pubs being open means they are doing ok, most are losing money operating like they are now, just not as much money as they were when they were shut.

so yes I believe the article is quite accurate

I paid just under twenty quid for 3 pints of Peroni at a bar in Carnaby Street last week. Not sure if that’s the norm for that part of town?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Beer Prices on 09:21 - Apr 25 with 1740 viewsWD19

Beer Prices on 09:19 - Apr 25 by GlasgowBlue

I paid just under twenty quid for 3 pints of Peroni at a bar in Carnaby Street last week. Not sure if that’s the norm for that part of town?

No, they added on extra because they didn’t like you.
Beer Prices on 09:22 - Apr 25 with 1736 viewsGlasgowBlue

Beer Prices on 09:21 - Apr 25 by WD19

No, they added on extra because they didn’t like you.

Wouldn’t surprise me.

Iron Lion Zion

Beer Prices on 09:24 - Apr 25 with 1729 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I broke down yesterday while driving to Camden for Lady Dollers to have her first haircut in a year. While she jumped in an uber and I waited for a recovery truck, I went in a nearby pub and had a pint of Madri Excepcional (a Spanish craft beer)... which was an eye-watering £5.90 a pint. This wasn't even central London, this was Lavender Hill/Battersea.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Login to get fewer ads

Beer Prices on 09:29 - Apr 25 with 1706 viewsMeadowlark

enerally between £3.50 and £4.00 for a decent cask ale here in North Suffolk, although in my local I can get a pint of Adnams Bitter for £3.30.
Beer Prices on 09:33 - Apr 25 with 1697 viewsbrogansnose

Beer Prices on 09:24 - Apr 25 by The_Flashing_Smile

I broke down yesterday while driving to Camden for Lady Dollers to have her first haircut in a year. While she jumped in an uber and I waited for a recovery truck, I went in a nearby pub and had a pint of Madri Excepcional (a Spanish craft beer)... which was an eye-watering £5.90 a pint. This wasn't even central London, this was Lavender Hill/Battersea.

The boy has moved to Kilburn and he paid £5.60 for a pint of Peroni up Finchley Road last week. Saying that I paid the same price for a pint in central Cambridge.

No wonder why people are sitting in the park with a bag of tins.
Beer Prices on 09:39 - Apr 25 with 1683 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Beer Prices on 09:19 - Apr 25 by GlasgowBlue

I mean you couldn't really get any more touristy than Carnaby Street. Even a couple of streets down in Brewer Street you'd be paying only a bit more than half that.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Beer Prices on 09:42 - Apr 25 with 1671 viewspeterleeblue

The focus on Beer Pricing always cracks me up.

5- 10 p on a pint and its outrage.
Your 2 week all inclusive on the Costa Brava is now £500.00 more than pre pandemic and everyone will still pay it.
Beer Prices on 09:55 - Apr 25 with 1654 viewsCoastalblue

Beer Prices on 09:33 - Apr 25 by brogansnose

The boy has moved to Kilburn and he paid £5.60 for a pint of Peroni up Finchley Road last week. Saying that I paid the same price for a pint in central Cambridge.

No wonder why people are sitting in the park with a bag of tins.

Had my first beverage in an establishment since reopening Thursday evening, it was in a pizza place which I'm guessing likes to think of itself as slightly swanky but Peroni was £5.90 a pint. It's got to the point where I didn't even really look twice, I'm guessing the local pubs would be slightly cheaper.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Beer Prices on 09:59 - Apr 25 with 1642 viewsOldsmoker

Eeee, when I was a lad etc. etc.
When I first moved to Sheffield beer was 33p a pint.
So 3 pints for me and my 2 mates was 99p and the 1p went into the charity tin.
When the govt. put 1p on a pint the landlord charged us £1 for the 3 pints but only for 1 week. The brewery then added 1p to the price so my pockets were stuffed with coins after that. For the last pint of the evening, I'd pull out a load of change and let the barman pick the coins from my hand 'cos by that time I'd lost the ability to count.

Beer Prices on 10:23 - Apr 25 with 1613 viewsGlasgowBlue

Beer Prices on 09:39 - Apr 25 by The_Flashing_Smile

I mean you couldn't really get any more touristy than Carnaby Street. Even a couple of streets down in Brewer Street you'd be paying only a bit more than half that.

It’s was the first bar we came to after turning off Regent Street at the Liberty building. Couldn’t even get a table.

Iron Lion Zion

Pah, tightwad..... on 10:48 - Apr 25 with 1563 viewsBloots

Beer Prices on 09:55 - Apr 25 by Coastalblue

Had my first beverage in an establishment since reopening Thursday evening, it was in a pizza place which I'm guessing likes to think of itself as slightly swanky but Peroni was £5.90 a pint. It's got to the point where I didn't even really look twice, I'm guessing the local pubs would be slightly cheaper.

...I paid £7.05p for a pint of Moretti on Thursday night in London.

Square mile innit.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Don't drink poncy beers then, innit... on 10:51 - Apr 25 with 1556 viewsfooters

Pah, tightwad..... on 10:48 - Apr 25 by Bloots

Square mile innit.

... this bloody place.

You can get a lovely pint of ale for less than a fiver in Moorgate. FFS.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Beer Prices on 20:38 - Apr 25 with 1411 viewsloftboy

£4.75 for a pint of Guinness in the Hatfield hotel Lowestoft today.
Beer Prices on 20:47 - Apr 25 with 1382 viewsNthQldITFC

Could this be why there's not much marmite around, 'n'all?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Beer Prices on 21:29 - Apr 25 with 1302 viewseireblue

How many news* things that the Daily Mail claim are shocking are also true?

*using the term very loosely, in order to differentiate between items in the sidebar of shame, which are in general written by persons seemingly in a state of perpetual shock.
Pah, tightwad..... on 22:51 - Apr 25 with 1249 views05Jchamb

Square mile innit.

Where was this out of interest? I’m going back into the office for the first time in over a year next week. Will be interesting to see A) which places still exist and B) what the prices look like.
Pah, tightwad..... on 00:50 - Apr 26 with 1203 viewsCoastalblue

Square mile innit.

To be fair I'm not far outside the square mile, I think I might have noticed over £7 though to be fair.

Just to add my own war story, when I started regularly using pubs in the 80's I'd get a pint and a game of pool for just under a pound. Think it was 70p for a pint and 20p for the pool table, them new fangled coins.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Beer Prices on 01:38 - Apr 26 with 1185 viewsTractorWood

Beer Prices on 09:42 - Apr 25 by peterleeblue

The focus on Beer Pricing always cracks me up.

5- 10 p on a pint and its outrage.
Your 2 week all inclusive on the Costa Brava is now £500.00 more than pre pandemic and everyone will still pay it.

Agree. It's a trivial national obsession.

I only drink occasionally. If a pint with a meal is £3 or £6, not sure it makes a huge difference. Especially if the alternative is a watered down coke for £3.75.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Beer Prices on 07:09 - Apr 26 with 1095 viewsGaryCooper

Beer Prices on 10:23 - Apr 25 by GlasgowBlue

It’s was the first bar we came to after turning off Regent Street at the Liberty building. Couldn’t even get a table.

How did you manage to get a drink if you could not get a table?
Beer Prices on 07:22 - Apr 26 with 1077 viewsBluefish

Beer Prices on 01:38 - Apr 26 by TractorWood

Agree. It's a trivial national obsession.

I only drink occasionally. If a pint with a meal is £3 or £6, not sure it makes a huge difference. Especially if the alternative is a watered down coke for £3.75.

I find it scandalous. I sell a can of pepsi for 80p in my pub. We getting a coke mix put in but that is even cheaper. Disgusting that some pubs charge £2 for half a coke

My beer starts at £3 and the most expensive is £3.75

The cost of beer isn't going up and the profit margins at £5 + per pint is ridiculous

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024