Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Son of a legend 23:11 - Apr 24 with 9711 viewsKeaneish

Does he play like one? I’d watched enough of Dozzell last season to know he doesn’t have that drive to take him to the next level. This season has done nothing to change my opinion. If I was the son of a Town legend, I’d be leaving my heart and soul on that pitch after every 90 minutes to emulate my dad and to build my career. What have we got instead? A season of absent, abject, forgettable performances where you rarely know he’s on the pitch. No doubt Cook was referring to him with his comments this week about being accelerated to the first team too quickly, along with a few others.

Dozzell treats each game like a practice session and coasts from game to game with a rather distant, bemused look on his face. Given the option, I’d rather play the 35-year old Skuse next to Downes for the last games just to see the difference and really highlight how ineffective and forgettable he’s rapidly becoming.

I saw one good sharp pass into Edwards feet today, that was it. One pass.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Son of a legend on 23:17 - Apr 24 with 4593 viewsN2_Blue

Completely agree

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Son of a legend on 23:40 - Apr 24 with 4528 viewsStewart27

Yep agree.

And if Skuse coming in and making us not miss Dozzell then we are in all sorts of bother.
Son of a legend on 23:47 - Apr 24 with 4493 views3_5_2

Yep

Flatters to deceive.

Zero goals zero assists

When has he ever dominated a game?

Can’t defend either.

He is no Jason

Get rid

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Son of a legend on 23:58 - Apr 24 with 4453 viewsnoggin

"Coasts" actually sums Andre up perfectly. He seems to lack passion for the shirt.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Son of a legend on 23:58 - Apr 24 with 4455 viewsBlueBadger

There's a player in there, but by lordy does he need some proper coaching and motivation. He's not had that, really. He's either been injured or playing under incompetent egomaniacs.

If we want to take Melford's post above as an example, in the struggling pub full of t0ssers taking the piss, Dozzell would be the smart young pot boy who's got the potential to be cellarman or head barman but he's being badly let down by those around him and the culture he's working in.

I wouldn't write him off yet.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Son of a legend on 00:05 - Apr 25 with 4419 viewsJuggsy

Son of a legend on 23:58 - Apr 24 by BlueBadger

There's a player in there, but by lordy does he need some proper coaching and motivation. He's not had that, really. He's either been injured or playing under incompetent egomaniacs.

If we want to take Melford's post above as an example, in the struggling pub full of t0ssers taking the piss, Dozzell would be the smart young pot boy who's got the potential to be cellarman or head barman but he's being badly let down by those around him and the culture he's working in.

I wouldn't write him off yet.

I thought he had a twin brother called 'Poorfrom' the amount of times I heard 'Poorfrom Dozzell" mentioned today!
Son of a legend on 00:07 - Apr 25 with 4410 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

I think people have short memories... he was running the show at the start of the season and it all went a bit wrong after his red card at Sunderland; as soon as the cracks started to show in the side and the whole team started to struggle.

He was first name on the team sheet before then but shouldn't be, which I think is the point Cook was trying to make. Dozzell is a good player, with potential to be a great player, who should be playing only when the pressure can be taken off him by experienced, tactically aware players around him.
Son of a legend on 00:28 - Apr 25 with 4368 viewsYallop

I don't really get your point on how he should try harder because his dad was a legend.

He should be judged only on what he does. For the record I agree on that point though in that he's not doing enough to influence results.
Login to get fewer ads

Son of a legend on 02:13 - Apr 25 with 4267 viewsIllinoisblue

He’s been poor for the last 3 months but I still maintain he is a player who would thrive in a good side. I’d play him out wide or further forward.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Son of a legend on 05:41 - Apr 25 with 4127 viewsskankerman

In my opinion his Dad is not a legend frustrated me many a time
Son of a legend on 06:23 - Apr 25 with 4087 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Son of a legend on 06:51 - Apr 25 with 4032 views26_Paz

If anyone is stupid enough to offer any money for him then sell immediately.

The Paz Man

Son of a legend on 06:53 - Apr 25 with 4031 viewsKeaneish

Son of a legend on 00:28 - Apr 25 by Yallop

I don't really get your point on how he should try harder because his dad was a legend.

He should be judged only on what he does. For the record I agree on that point though in that he's not doing enough to influence results.

It’s about lineage and legacy, the family name and the eyes of the family name amongst different generations of fan base. That coupled with trying to be the best you can.

Son of a legend on 06:55 - Apr 25 with 4023 viewsChrisd

Personally, I feel that is rather unfair, but i feel this comes from your frustration as a Town fan currently,. Yes, Andre might be Jason’s son, but that does not mean he is built in the same way. For example, I’m a different type of character to my Dad, so to expect me to think and behave like he does (or did) would be extremely tough and unnatural. Andre appears a very laidback character, so to ask him to play with 100% aggression, wearing his heart on his sleeve will go against his natural instincts and it would prove rather false. Yes, I agree with you about his performances, I don’t see enough in his overall game just yet to say he has the ability to play at a much higher level, I was expecting a lot more from him in L1 and be able to clearly see a visible difference in his ability compared to others in this standard of football, but it’s likely he’ll be one of the few that will remain due to his contract so hopefully with better players around him we’ll see him blossom next season. However, to expect him to have a different personality and thought process I find ludicrous, it doesn’t matter if Jason is his Dad we are all made differently. He’s got to be his own man, instead of fabricating a contrasting personality.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 6:59]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Son of a legend on 06:58 - Apr 25 with 4017 viewsKeaneish

Son of a legend on 00:07 - Apr 25 by King_ding_a_lin_g

I think people have short memories... he was running the show at the start of the season and it all went a bit wrong after his red card at Sunderland; as soon as the cracks started to show in the side and the whole team started to struggle.

He was first name on the team sheet before then but shouldn't be, which I think is the point Cook was trying to make. Dozzell is a good player, with potential to be a great player, who should be playing only when the pressure can be taken off him by experienced, tactically aware players around him.

He looked good for three or four games but since then, nothing - literally nothing. It’s not good enough. I posted a while back that it’s night and day between Downes and Dozzell. Same age, same academy but a clear difference in quality of minutes on the pitch. I trust Downes (now he’s tempered his behaviour), I don’t trust Dozzell. By now, Dozzell should be dictating the tempo of games by dropping deep and turning defence into attack - even his passing now looks poor.

Son of a legend on 07:07 - Apr 25 with 3991 viewsArnieM

Dozzell has for me faltered t9 deceive EVERY TIME he takes t9 the pitch.

He has the same languid style his dad had, true. But other than the odd good pass, there’s not much else to his game is there!

He can’t tackle (he’s supposed to be a “ professional” footballer)
He’s actually quite slow. When he loses possession he ALWAYS fouls, shirt pulls the player back etc.
He cant defend when not in possession.
He can’t take a dead ball kick with any pace on it.
He doesn’t take players on.
Does he ever run with the ball?

Are these not all the “basics” for a supposed top quality player? They certainly are for a PL level player.

I thought Cooks comment the other day, where he said, “ sometimes having talent is not enough”. It’s not enough is it!”, was aimed directly at Andre Dozzell.

You have to ask , would we miss him if he was not in the team? I’d say probably not. You can’t have a player occupy the shirt / place , on the prospect of one good pass in 90 mins, especially at this level where you have to win the battle for most of those 90 mins. He just don’t cut it ...anywhere near the level required, IMO. For Dozzell to be “ effective” at his game, he needs the protection of other midfielders around him , and the work rate of those players to allow him his platform to
“Shine”. Sorry, but that’s a luxury we can I’ll afford next season.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Son of a legend on 07:09 - Apr 25 with 3981 views26_Paz

Son of a legend on 07:07 - Apr 25 by ArnieM

He has the same languid style his dad had, true. But other than the odd good pass, there’s not much else to his game is there!

He’s actually quite slow. When he loses possession he ALWAYS fouls, shirt pulls the player back etc.

Are these not all the “basics” for a supposed top quality player? They certainly are for a PL level player.

I thought Cooks comment the other day, where he said, “ sometimes having talent is not enough”. It’s not enough is it!”, was aimed directly at Andre Dozzell.

You have to ask , would we miss him if he was not in the team? I’d say probably not. You can’t have a player occupy the shirt / place , on the prospect of one good pass in 90 mins, especially at this level where you have to win the battle for most of those 90 mins. He just don’t cut it ...anywhere near the level required, IMO. For Dozzell to be “ effective” at his game, he needs the protection of other midfielders around him , and the work rate of those players to allow him his platform to

This is why I call him ‘the fraud’

The Paz Man

Son of a legend on 08:41 - Apr 25 with 3815 viewsHullblue

Son of a legend on 07:07 - Apr 25 by ArnieM

People either have it in for Andre or just don’t understand his role and posts like this just prove it, for me.

According to Cook he’s been our best player in two out of our last three games (I realise this isn’t a high bar) and I agree with him. So if he’s flattered to deceive ‘EVERY’ time you’ve seen him play I’d suggest you’re not watching closely enough.

Defending obviously isn’t his strength but he makes far more interceptions etc than people give him credit for. He’s largely stopped getting booked like he did in the first half of the season and nobody’s given him any credit for improving this side of his game.

Set pieces - not saying his have been consistently brilliant but he smashed one onto the bar yesterday. Were you checking your phone when he did that? Or do you just not want to give him any credit because you’ve already made your mind up about him?

Deep midfielders aren’t supposed to ‘take people on’ or ‘run with the ball’ unless they’re Frankie De Jong who I suspect, even post takeover, is slightly out of our price range.

I suspect that his comments weren’t aimed at Dozzell because it was the same press conference where he picked him out for praise.

Would we miss him? Well he didn’t start at Wimbledon and we lost 3-0.

You say he needs protection but conceding goals from his zone isn’t exactly our biggest problem at the moment, is it?

His job is to help us build the play and IMO, he does it very well. We’re more comfortable playing out from the back that we have been for years. Our problem is the next bit - Dozzell (and it is usually Dozzell because he’s the one who’s found time and space) looks up and has zero movement/options in front of him.

Again, I’m not saying he’s been brilliant but he’s contributing so much more than Downes atm. Flynn looks either unfit or unmotivated and nobody’s picking up on it. I think we need to ask ourselves why that is.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Son of a legend on 08:53 - Apr 25 with 3753 viewsStokieBlue

He played two good passes first time over the right back within the first 10 minutes and Bishop managed to be offside both times. If those were played to someone who knew how to run in behind your post would be about the two goals crafted by the beautiful first time passes by Dozzell.

This just highlights that one player can't do things entirely on his own. He's not been great this season but he also doesn't have any of the required runners around him to make use of his passing. It's all very well saying you only saw one pass but barely anyone offers for him during a match. If no pass is possible what do you want him to do?

Skuse did nothing when he came on, even less than Dozzell so I can't agree with that suggestion.

SB
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 8:55]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Son of a legend on 08:54 - Apr 25 with 3747 viewsStokieBlue

Son of a legend on 07:09 - Apr 25 by 26_Paz

This is why I call him ‘the fraud’

Going to go for this again after the last time? I would have thought you'd never mention it again.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Son of a legend on 09:15 - Apr 25 with 3684 viewsMullet

Son of a legend on 08:41 - Apr 25 by Hullblue

People either have it in for Andre or just don’t understand his role and posts like this just prove it, for me.

According to Cook he’s been our best player in two out of our last three games (I realise this isn’t a high bar) and I agree with him. So if he’s flattered to deceive ‘EVERY’ time you’ve seen him play I’d suggest you’re not watching closely enough.

Defending obviously isn’t his strength but he makes far more interceptions etc than people give him credit for. He’s largely stopped getting booked like he did in the first half of the season and nobody’s given him any credit for improving this side of his game.

Set pieces - not saying his have been consistently brilliant but he smashed one onto the bar yesterday. Were you checking your phone when he did that? Or do you just not want to give him any credit because you’ve already made your mind up about him?

Deep midfielders aren’t supposed to ‘take people on’ or ‘run with the ball’ unless they’re Frankie De Jong who I suspect, even post takeover, is slightly out of our price range.

I suspect that his comments weren’t aimed at Dozzell because it was the same press conference where he picked him out for praise.

You say he needs protection but conceding goals from his zone isn’t exactly our biggest problem at the moment, is it?

His job is to help us build the play and IMO, he does it very well. We’re more comfortable playing out from the back that we have been for years. Our problem is the next bit - Dozzell (and it is usually Dozzell because he’s the one who’s found time and space) looks up and has zero movement/options in front of him.

Again, I’m not saying he’s been brilliant but he’s contributing so much more than Downes atm. Flynn looks either unfit or unmotivated and nobody’s picking up on it. I think we need to ask ourselves why that is.

It’s just another trope for the lazy thinking blame culture types innit. Same as Skuse doesn’t score goals etc.

Anyone with a football brain sees what these players do and don’t do.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Son of a legend on 09:18 - Apr 25 with 3661 viewsDanTheMan

Son of a legend on 08:54 - Apr 25 by StokieBlue

Going to go for this again after the last time? I would have thought you'd never mention it again.

SB

But it's such a clever name, probably took days or weeks to come up with that zinger.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Son of a legend on 09:21 - Apr 25 with 3638 viewshaynes_toe1

If Cook was referring to him as one of the young players in the team too early and not really deserving based on performances then why would he continually pick him..
Son of a legend on 09:38 - Apr 25 with 3575 viewsGuthrum

Son of a legend on 08:41 - Apr 25 by Hullblue

Think an issue with Dozzell - and other players, such as Nsiala - is that they've made one or two high visibility errors, which may have led to conceding goals. That then masks all the good work they do at other times.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Son of a legend on 09:39 - Apr 25 with 3560 views26_Paz

Son of a legend on 09:18 - Apr 25 by DanTheMan

But it's such a clever name, probably took days or weeks to come up with that zinger.

I think it fits perfectly. Bills himself as a Rolls Royce, is actually a Skoda (before they became half reasonable).

The Paz Man

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024