Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I worked in a place once 23:32 - Apr 24 with 2176 viewsMelford

that you could get away with anything, the manager was a cokehead and everybody took the piss. Turn up late, pour yourself free pints and get free food. Come in hungover, not a problem. Shut the kitchen early if it was too busy or really quiet. Could pretty do what you wanted. Most of his staff were his cokehead mates who were crap at their jobs.

We had a new manager who put a stop to all of that. All food and drink has to go through the till. Everybody has to turn up on time and in uniform. The kitchen stays open until the time advertised, no excuses.

In 3 months time there was me, one girl behind the bar and a pot washer left of the whole kitchen and FOH staff. They couldn't get free beer and food anymore and sit around getting paid for doing nothing, a couple of weeks of them actually having to do some hard work saw a lot of them handing in their notices. They couldn't bring their mates up and have them all eat for free anymore or come in still pissed from the night before.

3 of us out of 18 or so kept going and the most of the rest of them couldn't give a ***K

There were only 3 of us who were excited about the change and making it more professional, everybody else was in uproar about they had to start paying for everything they ate and drank and they were sent home still pissed and stumbling around when they started their shifts.

If you have it really easy for a long time and blatantly take the piss every day of your working life for a couple of years, it's a big shock then you've someone new in charge . People find it hard to snap out of it when confronted with the fact they've been stealing a living.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

I worked in a place once on 23:35 - Apr 24 with 2130 viewsBlueBadger

Happens more often than you'd think in healthcare. It's been interesting to see who's stepped up and who's hid at [redacted] this last year.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I worked in a place once on 00:06 - Apr 25 with 2060 viewsfactual_blue

My cousin, Warrant Officer Factual (ret'd) had as his final posting command of the Territorial Army (as it then was) unit in a City In The Midlands.

Now, in the TA to qualify for you nice tax-free bounty you had to do a route march in full kit - heavy rucksack etc.

WO Factual found out it was normal practice for the local Territorials just to sign that they'd completed the march and pocket the money without doing a thing.

On the day scheduled for said march, the Territorials were rather surprised to find WO Factual there in full kit etc etc.

'What are you doing here WO Factual?'

'I'm coming with you lads.'

Most of them resigned on the spot.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I worked in a place once on 09:49 - Apr 25 with 1743 viewsWacko

Controversial opinion: I think Hurst recognised this but was too much of a nob / not talented enough to put it right

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

I worked in a place once on 09:51 - Apr 25 with 1724 viewspointofblue

I worked in a place once on 09:49 - Apr 25 by Wacko

Controversial opinion: I think Hurst recognised this but was too much of a nob / not talented enough to put it right

Hurst recognised it and used the exact same approach as Cook is - if anything, with the press, he was more diplomatic. His issue was the transfer churn where he let a lot of experienced players go and replaced them with inferior counterparts. He realised his mistake and desperately scrabbled around in the loan market but by then it was too late.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I worked in a place once on 10:12 - Apr 25 with 1645 viewstiptreeblue

I worked in a place once on 09:49 - Apr 25 by Wacko

Or too inexperienced sadly
I worked in a place once on 11:32 - Apr 25 with 1531 viewsBlueBadger

I worked in a place once on 09:51 - Apr 25 by pointofblue

Hurst recognised it and used the exact same approach as Cook is - if anything, with the press, he was more diplomatic. His issue was the transfer churn where he let a lot of experienced players go and replaced them with inferior counterparts. He realised his mistake and desperately scrabbled around in the loan market but by then it was too late.

...and decided to antagonise completely the wrong players.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

I worked in a place once on 11:34 - Apr 25 with 1519 viewsCoco

I worked in a place once on 11:32 - Apr 25 by BlueBadger

...and decided to antagonise completely the wrong players.

Maybe they were the right players to go for?

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

I worked in a place once on 12:11 - Apr 25 with 1446 viewsMeadowlark

I get the analogies, but these are professional sportsmen who already have had to be "winners" and work hard to get to this (admittedly quite low) stage in their careers.
I think there's more to it, but I don't know what?
Login to get fewer ads

I worked in a place once on 13:03 - Apr 25 with 1329 viewsBlueBadger

I worked in a place once on 11:34 - Apr 25 by Coco

Maybe they were the right players to go for?

The solid pros who'd been scoring goals, creating chances and performing wonders in goal?

THOSE 'right players'?

I worked in a place once on 14:25 - Apr 25 with 1232 viewsjontysnut

I worked in a place once on 12:11 - Apr 25 by Meadowlark

I get the analogies, but these are professional sportsmen who already have had to be "winners" and work hard to get to this (admittedly quite low) stage in their careers.
I think there's more to it, but I don't know what?

When my son was involved at a club he said there were players who would sack it off a bit during training but generally put in a shift during matches because they liked playing football. Looks like something has happened here to make a few not enjoy the game.
I worked in a place once on 19:52 - Apr 25 with 986 viewsBlueBadger

I worked in a place once on 10:12 - Apr 25 by tiptreeblue

Or too inexperienced sadly

It needn't be an either/or thing.

I work with my fair share of inexperienced nobs who call me out basically because they've tired to kill someone and failed.

I worked in a place once on 20:32 - Apr 25 with 920 viewsistanblue

I worked in a place once on 09:51 - Apr 25 by pointofblue

I wonder if Hurst had had 16 or so games in the Championship the season before that dreadful summer transfer window, would it have been different? Would he have identified the ones that needed to go? Would he have realised that signing a bunch of lower league players would be a bad idea? Who knows, but having some Championship experience behind him and more time at the club surely would've helped before making those decisions. The good thing with Cook now is is that these closing games are telling him exactly who needs to go in the summer - Hurst never had that privilege.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024