Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... 08:43 - Apr 25 with 1807 viewsFunge

... what an almighty mess we would be in (yes, yes, I know...)

Cook would doubtless still be looking to gut this squad; quite how we would fare with Evans' transfer strategy in place is a rather scary thought. Division 4 surely a very real possibility.

This group of players have given up, en masse. What awaits most of them after the summer is anonymity; they will depart with, at best, a shrug of the shoulders from the rest of us.

PC is clearly pained by the shambles he has inherited; compare this to the utter indifference shown by PL, who was more concerned with stoking arguments with the (few) individuals outside ITFC who he was prepared to communicate with, than attempting to motivate.

Which, I think, is why, despite a truly underwhelming start from PC, he retains my support. I'm absolutely fed up with accepting mediocrity as an ITFC fan, but, that said, I think I can acknowledge that we need to move a little further backwards before moving forwards. It's not a nice feeling, at all, but then it hasn't been fun following this shower for a very long time.

We have new owners, a new manager and a new outlook.

That said, PC absolutely needs to hit the ground running next year.

A very important summer ahead.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 8:47]
Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 08:46 - Apr 25 with 1525 viewsGeoffSentence

I think we would be doing a bit better and would at least still be in with a good shot at the play offs. Much of the lackustre performances is due to the fact that most of this shower of sht know they won't be here come what may, and that is because of the takeover.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 08:51 - Apr 25 with 1476 viewspointofblue

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 08:46 - Apr 25 by GeoffSentence

I think we would be doing a bit better and would at least still be in with a good shot at the play offs. Much of the lackustre performances is due to the fact that most of this shower of sht know they won't be here come what may, and that is because of the takeover.

I’m not sure - we didn’t look that great before the takeover, albeit we may have scraped enough results to be at least in touch of the play offs. Certainly I don’t think we would have lost 3-0 at Wimbledon or Northampton had the takeover not taken place.

Whether we would have scored is another matter as all the confidence seems to have been sucked out of decision making entirely and the last two players who scored, or had a hand in, our last goals v Bristol Rovers will seemingly never play for us again.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 08:53 - Apr 25 with 1460 viewstextbackup

I dread to think what I’d be feeling if there wasn’t a takeover.

The only thing keeping me remotely positive for this club is that a total rebuild is about to kick in

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 08:56 - Apr 25 with 1455 viewsFunge

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 08:53 - Apr 25 by textbackup

The only thing keeping me remotely positive for this club is that a total rebuild is about to kick in

Can I give you a little bromance Texters?

I've had my fill of this club so many times over the past 10 years, losing interest, getting fed up....

Then I see you/ BA etc still getting very angry, and it (sometimes) reminds me that I give a fck about this lot.

So, er, thanks, I think.
Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 08:59 - Apr 25 with 1440 viewsITFC_Forever

I’m 100% Cook In as well.

But those expecting us to hit the ground running are forgetting that a squad with 60% new players may take a month or two to gel.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:00 - Apr 25 with 1423 viewspointofblue

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 08:53 - Apr 25 by textbackup

Without the takeover I doubt Cook would be going in so heavily on the players at the moment, nor would he have checked out on this season so early.

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:04 - Apr 25 with 1395 viewsMuncher

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 08:59 - Apr 25 by ITFC_Forever

But those expecting us to hit the ground running are forgetting that a squad with 60% new players may take a month or two to gel.

I would be amazed if it is only 60%. More like 80% new, I am expecting Downes and KVY in the starting eleven for the first game of the season and the rest all new.
Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:11 - Apr 25 with 1355 viewspointofblue

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:04 - Apr 25 by Muncher

I would be amazed if it is only 60%. More like 80% new, I am expecting Downes and KVY in the starting eleven for the first game of the season and the rest all new.

Maybe Woolfenden too if Cook keeps hold and manages to bed in a partnership with an experienced centre half, something he hasn’t had all season except for the games alongside Nsiala, in pre-season. Otherwise I agree.

Login to get fewer ads

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:16 - Apr 25 with 1340 viewsITFC_Forever

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:04 - Apr 25 by Muncher

Was picking a number out of the air to be honest.

But there will still be some here from this season in the squad, even if not the starting eleven.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:17 - Apr 25 with 1343 viewsGuthrum

Downes, KVY, Dobra, Nsiala, possibly Nolan - all of these have a decent chance of being part of a starting lineup in August, IMO. But even they may be superseded if we can hire better during the summer.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:18 - Apr 25 with 1334 viewspointofblue

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:17 - Apr 25 by Guthrum

Downes, KVY, Dobra, Nsiala, possibly Nolan - all of these have a decent chance of being part of a starting lineup in August, IMO. But even they may be superseded if we can hire better during the summer.

If Nsiala and Nolan are part of the starting XI in the summer then we won’t have progressed enough IMO. I think Dobra will be used as an impact sub for a bit longer.

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:24 - Apr 25 with 1314 viewsMullet

Hard to know if more would try harder if they see a contract in front of them. It’s clear edwards feels he made a mistake coming here and has wasted his best shot at playing 2nd tier football for the past couple of years.

I made the point about hitting the ground running too yesterday, people seem to be drowned out by those at the extremes already though. There is a huge pressure on next season whatever happens. That’s not a bad thing. It’s about time he had pressure from the top and not just expecting the manager to get it right.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:26 - Apr 25 with 1299 viewsGuthrum

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:18 - Apr 25 by pointofblue

If Nsiala and Nolan are part of the starting XI in the summer then we won’t have progressed enough IMO. I think Dobra will be used as an impact sub for a bit longer.

Disagree. With Nsiala (alongside Wilson), our defence has been reasonably solid. He has quite possibly done enough to persist with.

Nolan I am not at all convinced by, but seem to remember Cook having said something positive about him, so why he was included with perhaps a chance.

Another summer of training to get some more of the rough edges off and Dobra could well be a regular starter.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:36 - Apr 25 with 1246 viewspointofblue

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:26 - Apr 25 by Guthrum

Disagree. With Nsiala (alongside Wilson), our defence has been reasonably solid. He has quite possibly done enough to persist with.

Nolan I am not at all convinced by, but seem to remember Cook having said something positive about him, so why he was included with perhaps a chance.

Another summer of training to get some more of the rough edges off and Dobra could well be a regular starter.

Our defence has been solid but I think Cook likes playing out of the back and neither Nsiala or Wilson are that type of defender. Maybe Cook will feel he can coach it into them and if so, fair enough, but currently the only one we have on our books is Woolfenden so it’s an area we need to look at over the summer.

I had heard that Cook liked Nolan and he’s fortunate enough to have been injured so hit stained with the end of season run. I’m judging on what he’s done for us before and it’s been nowhere near enough for the most part, especially if we consider people are happy to pile in on Dozzell.

Dobra will hopefully develop into a first tram player - I just wonder if August may come too soon for him. Saying that I’d happily give him a run out for the final three games from the off.

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:40 - Apr 25 with 1225 viewsPinewoodblue

Come the first game of the season we will just have so many new faces in the squad but there will be a totally different atmosphere everywhere. It is a long time since Town fans looked forward with optimism to a new season.

Think we maybe surprised how many of the current lot ( you can’t call them a squad) make the starting eleven.

One of the biggest reasons for the general malaise, which existed before the take over, is that too many of the players knew they had a better chance of a new contract if we were still in League 1.

Without the take over I still believe that PC would have got Town to the play offs. He must have been knocked for six when he heard the news and no matter what soothing words were said must have been asking himself if really was their first choice.

He now has an opportunity he could 9nly hav3 dreamed of. It is a challenge every manager would want. Hopefully he can rise to the challenge. He will take us far as he can, whether he is here in 6-7 years time, managing a top flight club, only time will tell.

Sit back and look forward to the ride.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:46 - Apr 25 with 1184 viewsBeckets

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:40 - Apr 25 by Pinewoodblue

Come the first game of the season we will just have so many new faces in the squad but there will be a totally different atmosphere everywhere. It is a long time since Town fans looked forward with optimism to a new season.

Think we maybe surprised how many of the current lot ( you can’t call them a squad) make the starting eleven.

One of the biggest reasons for the general malaise, which existed before the take over, is that too many of the players knew they had a better chance of a new contract if we were still in League 1.

Without the take over I still believe that PC would have got Town to the play offs. He must have been knocked for six when he heard the news and no matter what soothing words were said must have been asking himself if really was their first choice.

He now has an opportunity he could 9nly hav3 dreamed of. It is a challenge every manager would want. Hopefully he can rise to the challenge. He will take us far as he can, whether he is here in 6-7 years time, managing a top flight club, only time will tell.

Sit back and look forward to the ride.

I’m pretty sure he knows Michael Appleton was reported to be their first choice.
Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:58 - Apr 25 with 1123 viewsGarv

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:17 - Apr 25 by Guthrum

Dobra's got a lot to do to get there, as much as I like him.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 10:12 - Apr 25 with 1056 viewsPinewoodblue

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:46 - Apr 25 by Beckets

I’m pretty sure he knows Michael Appleton was reported to be their first choice.

Mid 40’s, rather mid50’s, would probably be the age you look for, however PC’s record, although not at the highest levels, is unusual. He has been in management best part of 15 years and although he has had a number of clubs only been sacked by one, his first management position.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 11:26 - Apr 25 with 910 viewsHighgateBlue

I agree.

If we had maintained our points per game average (either our 2020/21 season average or our 2021 calendar year average - whichever way you prefer to cut it) following Lambert's departure, we would be on 71 points, and IN the playoff places. That is a shocking indictment of how much worse things have got on Cook's watch. And when he came along, plainly there was still something to play for, so I'm not having any of this "the players had already given up" nonsense.

There is no question that Cook has failed his first challenge. I am glad that next season's challenge is an entirely different one.
Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 11:33 - Apr 25 with 883 viewsCoco

The malaise has occurred to the takeover and the incoming overhaul. We would be just ticking over as usual with no pressure to win as we have been for years.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 11:42 - Apr 25 with 865 viewsCoastalblue

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 08:59 - Apr 25 by ITFC_Forever

I'm not sure that argument is going to wasg in this division, plenty of other teams rip it up and start again every season so it's not like the champ where most of the other sides have been building a team.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 11:46 - Apr 25 with 852 views66notout

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 09:46 - Apr 25 by Beckets

I don't buy the nonsense about Cook being the new owners' first choice. It was Appleton and Cook wasn't even their second choice. They are saying all the right things at this stage but you can be sure they are concerned at Cook's record and so should we.
Coincidentally, Paul Lambert also won just two of his first 13 games in charge - in the Championship of course - and look how persevering with him worked out.
Cook's fate will be decided soon after Mark Ashton's arrival on the first of June.
Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 12:00 - Apr 25 with 819 viewsCoco

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 11:46 - Apr 25 by 66notout

I don't buy the nonsense about Cook being the new owners' first choice. It was Appleton and Cook wasn't even their second choice. They are saying all the right things at this stage but you can be sure they are concerned at Cook's record and so should we.
Coincidentally, Paul Lambert also won just two of his first 13 games in charge - in the Championship of course - and look how persevering with him worked out.
Cook's fate will be decided soon after Mark Ashton's arrival on the first of June.

I mean, it’s all either nonsense or total coincidence i suppose...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 12:01 - Apr 25 with 814 viewsbilllm

Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 08:46 - Apr 25 by GeoffSentence

That is excactly how I see it, if evans was still owner half of these or more would have there contracts extended equalling a happy camp, if they liked Paul cook they would play for Paul cook, whether they like him or not is irrelevant now, as you said a lot are going and no incentive to help cook look good or itfc,
Indulge me - assume that Cook was in charge, and there was no takeover... on 12:23 - Apr 25 with 775 viewsJ2BLUE

This is why the debates about the change of ownership were so passionate. We NEEDED it. All this talk of Cook coming in and Evans changing ownership style was delusion.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024