Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Irish Fans. 07:22 - Apr 27 with 2242 viewsirishtim

Just Wondering if we have an Irish fan base? I'm From Cork and would like to know if we have a fan base here. I have followed town for over 40 years .
Irish Fans. on 07:34 - Apr 27 with 2208 viewschrismakin

I've not found anything other than a northern Ireland supporters group. have you tried facebook?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Irish Fans. on 07:38 - Apr 27 with 2191 viewsirishtim

Irish Fans. on 07:34 - Apr 27 by chrismakin

I've not found anything other than a northern Ireland supporters group. have you tried facebook?

No mate just trying now to see. Hopefully good times ahead.
Irish Fans. on 07:56 - Apr 27 with 2166 viewsWestover

I'm not Irish but first visited in 1967 I stayed in Cork or Fermoy, I remember Miah Dennehy was probably the best known Irish footballer at the time.
I lived in County Kerry for 16 years and loved it apart from the weather, I was in Listowel one morning and had my Town shirt on a young man came up to me and said he was a Town fan and we chatted for a while so I'm sure there are some around.
Irish Fans. on 08:01 - Apr 27 with 2154 viewsRedX

A group of Ipswich fans used to get together in Cork a good few years back. They travelled over for a match or two and used also meet up in a local pub when Town were live on Sky. I remember there being roughly around 15/20 supporters with a few of them coming up from Mallow. I travelled to one of the games myself with them. It was Martijn Reuser's debut where he came on as a sub and scored the winner against Fulham.

Town 1-0 Fulham 26th Mar 2000 23:20
Town continued their return to form with a win over Paul Bracewell's Fulham. A late goal from substitute Martijn Reuser on his debut was enough to see Town hold onto second spot as Manchester City and Birmingham both came from behind to win. 0

I don't know why they stopped meeting up tbh. I think maybe some guys just preferred doing their own thing and travelling to games when it suited them rather than in a big group that was organised for them.

There are plenty Town fans in Cork.
Irish Fans. on 08:14 - Apr 27 with 2111 viewsirishtim

Irish Fans. on 07:56 - Apr 27 by Westover

I'm not Irish but first visited in 1967 I stayed in Cork or Fermoy, I remember Miah Dennehy was probably the best known Irish footballer at the time.
I lived in County Kerry for 16 years and loved it apart from the weather, I was in Listowel one morning and had my Town shirt on a young man came up to me and said he was a Town fan and we chatted for a while so I'm sure there are some around.

Would I be correct in Thinking Miah Dennehy was a Gaa man? Thanks for feedback
Irish Fans. on 08:18 - Apr 27 with 2102 viewsirishtim

Irish Fans. on 08:01 - Apr 27 by RedX

A group of Ipswich fans used to get together in Cork a good few years back. They travelled over for a match or two and used also meet up in a local pub when Town were live on Sky. I remember there being roughly around 15/20 supporters with a few of them coming up from Mallow. I travelled to one of the games myself with them. It was Martijn Reuser's debut where he came on as a sub and scored the winner against Fulham.

Town 1-0 Fulham 26th Mar 2000 23:20
Town continued their return to form with a win over Paul Bracewell's Fulham. A late goal from substitute Martijn Reuser on his debut was enough to see Town hold onto second spot as Manchester City and Birmingham both came from behind to win. 0

I don't know why they stopped meeting up tbh. I think maybe some guys just preferred doing their own thing and travelling to games when it suited them rather than in a big group that was organised for them.

There are plenty Town fans in Cork.

I live not far from Mallow. Yet to meet Fellow town fans. Thanks for feedback.
Irish Fans. on 09:15 - Apr 27 with 2021 viewswellhungphil

Irish Fans. on 08:18 - Apr 27 by irishtim

I'm from Cork as well, living back here for the past couple of years having originally left in the late 90's. I was only due to stay for the duration of a master's degree in UCC but I've become trapped by the virus thingie.

Another Cork lad that I know (haven't seen him in a few years) is a Town fan, we watched the 2002 World Cup game together with a bunch of other lads at the crack of dawn, that time when Matt Holland equalised for Ireland...against Cameroon I think it was?

I also got a loan of a copy of the 1978 FA Cup Final tape from some friends of a cousin, they were/are Town fans too (never met them, but the match was brilliant to watch!).
Irish Fans. on 09:35 - Apr 27 with 1973 viewsWestover

Irish Fans. on 08:14 - Apr 27 by irishtim

Would I be correct in Thinking Miah Dennehy was a Gaa man? Thanks for feedback

He played for Cork Notts Forest Hibs and others I don't know about GAA, I used to fish the river Blackwater in Mallow and often went horse racing at Mallow which is now called Cork.
Login to get fewer ads

Irish Fans. on 09:36 - Apr 27 with 1959 viewsChiefXL

Not an Ipswich fan as such but back in 2001 I was in a bar in Mallorca and got chatting to a guy from Cork, upon discovering where I was from he spent an hour declaring his undying love and admiration for 'Micky Stockwell" in the thickest Cork accent I've ever heard.

Which was nice.
Irish Fans. on 09:42 - Apr 27 with 1924 viewsPhilTWTD

Irish Fans. on 07:34 - Apr 27 by chrismakin

A Waterford brnch was launched a few years back when we had Daryl Murphy and the Hunts:

Waterford Branch of Supporters Club Launched 3rd Sep 2015 12:10
The Waterford Branch of the Supporters Club has been officially launched with their first gathering on Friday 11th September when Town play Reading live on Sky. 6

Irish Fans. on 10:15 - Apr 27 with 1868 viewsirishtim

Irish Fans. on 09:35 - Apr 27 by Westover

He played for Cork Notts Forest Hibs and others I don't know about GAA, I used to fish the river Blackwater in Mallow and often went horse racing at Mallow which is now called Cork.

Your so right. Got a little side tracked.
Irish Fans. on 10:30 - Apr 27 with 1835 viewsRedX

Irish Fans. on 09:42 - Apr 27 by PhilTWTD

A Waterford brnch was launched a few years back when we had Daryl Murphy and the Hunts:

Waterford Branch of Supporters Club Launched 3rd Sep 2015 12:10
The Waterford Branch of the Supporters Club has been officially launched with their first gathering on Friday 11th September when Town play Reading live on Sky. 6

Only a bunch of gloryhunters

Probably gone back supporting Liverpool or United at this stage.
Irish Fans. on 10:33 - Apr 27 with 1816 viewsRedX

Irish Fans. on 08:18 - Apr 27 by irishtim

There’s a fair few around North Cork.

The only way to find out is advertise it on a local newsletter if you were interested in meeting for live games. And of course when this virus decides to pack its bags.
Irish Fans. on 11:22 - Apr 27 with 1777 viewsleitrimblue

Not seen another town fan in Sligo or Leitrim in the 20 years I been here. Paul Cooks appointment probably means a few Rovers fans probably keeping an eye out for Town results now though
Irish Fans. on 11:24 - Apr 27 with 1771 viewsPhilTWTD

Irish Fans. on 10:30 - Apr 27 by RedX

Only a bunch of gloryhunters

Probably gone back supporting Liverpool or United at this stage.

I know some of them well and know that's not the case!
Irish Fans. on 11:59 - Apr 27 with 1699 viewsBlueLimerick

Am from Limerick myself and know at least one other Town fan in my own locality, have seen a number of people wearing Town jerseys in Limerick city over the years.

Would be happy to chat further over Pm.
Irish Fans. on 12:04 - Apr 27 with 1676 viewsSuperblue95

I work in Cork but live in Tipp. Never encountered a Town fan in Tipp though.

Saw a guy a couple of times outside my digs in Dublin wearing a town jacket when I was in college there 5 or so years back

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Irish Fans. on 12:38 - Apr 27 with 1631 viewsRedX

Irish Fans. on 11:24 - Apr 27 by PhilTWTD

I know some of them well and know that's not the case!

Jeez Phil, you’d want to brush up on your banter.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024