Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I know 'cos I was there. 08:33 - Apr 28 with 7060 viewsPJH

I do not think that Max Boyce, who loved that phrase, was at Portman Road on April 28th 1962 but I was.
On that day Ipswich Town became Champions of England and I know 'cos I was there.

I have made posts on this date for the last four or maybe five years commemorating that day and the months that preceded it so please indulge me as I again post my reminisces (fact checked where possible). This year is particularly poignant for me because my mum, one of the people that was with me that day, passed away in February, my dad having passed away in 2013.

In those days before substitutes each club basically had a first team and that team played if fit. I could just as easily name the Burnley or Spurs first team from that era as the Ipswich one.
Normally if a first team player got injured and had to miss a game or games he was replaced by a reserve and he was straight back in when fit although in one case that did not happen in 1961/62 at Ipswich.
Also if a player lost form he generally played on and on until he regained form although I suppose players did get dropped from time to time.
Short of having a leg broken a player injured during a game usually stayed on the pitch and went out wide so that even if he was more or less static he could still kick the ball if it came in his direction.

Bailey, Carberry, Compton, Baxter, Nelson, Elsworthy, Stephenson, Moran, Crawford, Phillips, Leadbetter-eleven names that Ipswich followers from that era should real off automatically.
They all played at least 37 of the 42 League games and all except Moran, Compton and to a lesser extent Baxter, made up the 2nd Division winning team from the previous season.
Bailey, Carberry, Elsworthy, Phillips and Leadbetter were also in the team that won the 3rd Division (South) in 1956/57.

Douglas Moran was the only new signing in the summer of 1961 and he became the inside-right.
John Compton came into the 1961/62 side after the third game when first team left-back Kenny Malcolm got injured and he kept his place for the rest of the season although Malcolm regained fitness and played 17 games for the Reserves. Alf Ramsey obviously made a conscious decision at some point not to bring back his 'first team' fullback.
Billy Baxter got into the side in December 1960 and played all of the last 19 games of that season so by the end of 1960/61 he was becoming an established first team player. He was doing National Service in those two seasons and I believe that I am right in saying that he had to get his Commanding Officer's permission to play before each and every ITFC game.

Crawford and Phillips were a great goalscoring partnership and they scored 61 of the 93 League goals between them in 1961/62 having scored 70 of 100 the previous season. They were goalscorers in their own right with Phillips having scored 41 goals in 41 games in the 3rd Division in 1956/57 and Crawford scoring over 60 goals in his second spell at PR with Phillips no longer around.
They were different though with Crawford getting a lot of goals from rebounds from Phillips' thunderous shots coming back off the keeper or the woodwork. Both were good in the air but Phillips was lethal from anywhere from thirty yards inwards because of the power of his shooting. He was also the penalty taker and not many goalkeepers tried too hard to get in the way of one of his penalties.

Although based on the goalscoring of those two the tactical genius of Alf Ramsey played a huge part in us winning the title. Wingers were normally quick and they would be expected to beat their fullback and get to the byeline and cross but Alf played Leadbetter and to a lesser extent, Stephenson much deeper and they crossed or passed from areas that wingers did not normally do back then.
The opposing fullbacks had a problem as to whether to move forward to where Stephenson and Leadbetter were playing from and leave gaps behind them or to stay in their conventional place and await a winger that might never arrive.

It took all other teams that season to work out how to combat that tactic but Bill Nicholson at Spurs had his winghalfs marking Stephenson and Leadbetter and his fullbacks marking our inside forwards in the Charity Shield game at PR in August 1962 and Spur swon 5-1 but Ipswich losing Carberry to injury did not help.

Apart from the Charity Shield game that actual title winning team did not play together again until a win at Birmingham in April 1963, a game that I was also at.

So we are now at April 28th 1962 and ITFC go into their last game of the season against Aston Villa with a two point lead over Burnley but with 2 points for a win and Burnley having 2 games to play and a better goal average even a win would not guarantee the title.
The official attendance figure that day was 28932, it was NOT all ticket.
It took until the 72nd minute for us to score, Ray Crawford scoring with a diving header after John Elsworthy had headed a Stephenson freekick against the bar.
Crawford got a second goal four minutes later although that goal does not appear on the film that I have seen of that day, it is in my head though!

We then had to wait for the Burnley result and we eventually heard that they had drawn 1-1 at home to already relegated Chelsea so they could no longer catch us and WE were Champions. Burnley also lost their last game but that was irrelevant.
On hearing the result there were pitch invasions and the players were hoisted onto shoulders.

I have not started rambling about other memories from that season but will leave it there apart from mentioning three things that I always associate with those times.

Firstly, the team running onto the pitch to the tune 'Entry Of The Gladiators'.

Secondly, the crowd singing 'Keep Right On To The End Of The Road' which was and is a Birmingham City song and I have no idea when ITFC supporters adopted it or finished using.

Thirdly, Ipswich bus conductor Swede Herring going round the pitch pumping up the supporters 'One, Two, Three, Four , Who are we for, I-P-(you know the rest)

On April 28th 1962 Ipswich Town became Champions Of England and I know 'cos I was there.
I know 'cos I was there. on 08:35 - Apr 28 with 4384 viewswkj

You're a credit to this board, you really are. I love your historical posts - way more interesting than textbook accounts

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

I know 'cos I was there. on 09:30 - Apr 28 with 4208 viewshaynes_toe1

Post of the year contender and we're still in April!

Enjoyed it, thanks
I know 'cos I was there. on 09:34 - Apr 28 with 4199 viewshoppy

Never tire of reading your account of this incredible achievement.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

I know 'cos I was there. on 09:38 - Apr 28 with 4183 viewsPJH

I know 'cos I was there. on 09:34 - Apr 28 by hoppy

Never tire of reading your account of this incredible achievement.

You might have done if I had typed everything that was in my head about that season. I make these annual posts partly for my own benefit although obviously I can relive the memories without having to write them down.

I hope to be making a 60th Anniversary post on this date next year.
I know 'cos I was there. on 09:39 - Apr 28 with 4174 viewsPJH

I know 'cos I was there. on 08:35 - Apr 28 by wkj

You're a credit to this board, you really are. I love your historical posts - way more interesting than textbook accounts

Thank you so much for this. I write these things partly for my own benefit but it is nice if others find them of interest.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2021 9:45]
I know 'cos I was there. on 09:40 - Apr 28 with 4165 viewsPJH

I know 'cos I was there. on 09:30 - Apr 28 by haynes_toe1

Post of the year contender and we're still in April!

Enjoyed it, thanks

Thank you. I found it difficult to keep it as 'short' as it was because there are so many memories from that time swimming around in my head.
I know 'cos I was there. on 09:43 - Apr 28 with 4140 viewshoppy

I know 'cos I was there. on 09:39 - Apr 28 by PJH

Thank you so much for this. I write these things partly for my own benefit but it is nice if others find them of interest.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2021 9:45]

A decent party!!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

I know 'cos I was there. on 09:44 - Apr 28 with 4133 viewsPJH

I know 'cos I was there. on 09:43 - Apr 28 by hoppy

A decent party!!

Edit needed!
Login to get fewer ads

I know 'cos I was there. on 09:50 - Apr 28 with 4094 viewsKeno

I know 'cos I was there. on 09:43 - Apr 28 by hoppy

A decent party!!

Promotion?

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I know 'cos I was there. on 09:52 - Apr 28 with 4076 viewsfooters

Hang on, we were once champions of England. That cannot be right, Shirley?

Many thanks as always for this, PJH. Must have been an incredible thing to see as a young Town fan.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I know 'cos I was there. on 09:53 - Apr 28 with 4072 viewsmonty_radio

Ray's other goal that you mention - a bit of a bundle which might not stand today - is that how you recall it?

Also, someone having recently posted some marvellous footage of the 4-1 away at Floriana reminded me just how good Rocky was at lifting the ball onto the appropriate forward's head, and how such precision, even with arguably an easier modern ball, is so sadly lacking at Town at the moment.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

I know 'cos I was there. on 09:55 - Apr 28 with 4038 viewsusm

Terrific read that, PJH. Keep posting these memories.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

I know 'cos I was there. on 09:55 - Apr 28 with 4059 viewsWD19

We should make the current team come out to 'Entry Of The Gladiators' to commemorate....
I know 'cos I was there. on 09:57 - Apr 28 with 4045 viewslongtimefan

I feel privileged to have witnessed the majority of the Robson era, but what I’d give to be about 10 years older. You make me feel very jealous PJH.
I know 'cos I was there. on 10:00 - Apr 28 with 4036 viewsTractorCam

Excellent post, I can't begin to comprehend how awesome it must have been supporting us in them times.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

I know 'cos I was there. on 10:00 - Apr 28 with 4032 viewsPJH

I know 'cos I was there. on 09:53 - Apr 28 by monty_radio

Ray's other goal that you mention - a bit of a bundle which might not stand today - is that how you recall it?

Also, someone having recently posted some marvellous footage of the 4-1 away at Floriana reminded me just how good Rocky was at lifting the ball onto the appropriate forward's head, and how such precision, even with arguably an easier modern ball, is so sadly lacking at Town at the moment.

I remember the second goal as Crawford, their centre half Sleeuwenhoek and keeper Sims all converging on the ball and Ray's first effort got blocked and he put the rebound in.

I was going to mention Ray's goal against Bolton that season which would certainly not have counted now but was legal then. Bolton keeper Eddie Hopkinson caught a cross, probably a corner, at the North Stand end and Ray Crawford shoulder charged him over the line.

That was okay as long as the keeper had the ball in his hands and had both feet on the ground.
I know 'cos I was there. on 10:08 - Apr 28 with 3997 viewsmonty_radio

I know 'cos I was there. on 10:00 - Apr 28 by PJH

I remember the second goal as Crawford, their centre half Sleeuwenhoek and keeper Sims all converging on the ball and Ray's first effort got blocked and he put the rebound in.

I was going to mention Ray's goal against Bolton that season which would certainly not have counted now but was legal then. Bolton keeper Eddie Hopkinson caught a cross, probably a corner, at the North Stand end and Ray Crawford shoulder charged him over the line.

That was okay as long as the keeper had the ball in his hands and had both feet on the ground.

Perhaps that was the goal I'm remembering then. Thanks for the O.P.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

I know 'cos I was there. on 10:36 - Apr 28 with 3932 viewsBluespeed225

My old man did NS with Baxter, you are indeed correct!
I know 'cos I was there. on 10:37 - Apr 28 with 3928 viewsBeattie78

I know 'cos I was there. on 10:00 - Apr 28 by PJH

Thanks for a great post PJH. I was also there, an 11 year old standing on my stool against the wall in the West Stand. I was about level with the penalty spot at the Churchman's end so was lucky enough to have a great view of both Crawford goals.
You're right about your description of his second one. The only footage I've seen of this goal was in the recent BBC documentary "Alfie's Boys". Other archive film wrongly describes a disallowed effort as being the 2nd goal.
One other memory of the run in to the end of the season was how Burnley spectacularly imploded. At the beginning of April we were a point ahead but Burnley had 4 games in hand that they failed to take advantage of.

LexdenBlue62

I know 'cos I was there. on 10:47 - Apr 28 with 3909 viewsPJH

I know 'cos I was there. on 10:37 - Apr 28 by Beattie78

Thanks for a great post PJH. I was also there, an 11 year old standing on my stool against the wall in the West Stand. I was about level with the penalty spot at the Churchman's end so was lucky enough to have a great view of both Crawford goals.
You're right about your description of his second one. The only footage I've seen of this goal was in the recent BBC documentary "Alfie's Boys". Other archive film wrongly describes a disallowed effort as being the 2nd goal.
One other memory of the run in to the end of the season was how Burnley spectacularly imploded. At the beginning of April we were a point ahead but Burnley had 4 games in hand that they failed to take advantage of.

Yes I do remember that it was in Burnley's hands right up to and including the 28th April. They also got to the F.A. Cup Final which they lost 3-1 to Spurs on May 5th, a game that I was also at.

I think that them chasing two trophies and with a build up of fixtures became too much for them.

The clip that is readily available includes the disallowed goal but strangely (or maybe not) I have no memory at all of the disallowed goal but if that film is in time sequence it was obviously after we had got the first goal.

I was also 11 years old and against the wall in the West Stand but not sure if I was on a stool, probably. We were a little to Churchman's side of the trainers boxes so quite close to halfway line.
I know 'cos I was there. on 10:49 - Apr 28 with 3903 viewsPJH

I know 'cos I was there. on 10:36 - Apr 28 by Bluespeed225

My old man did NS with Baxter, you are indeed correct!

Thank you for confirming that. I knew that he was doing National Service at that time and I believed that he had to actually have permission to have time away to play for us.
I know 'cos I was there. on 11:50 - Apr 28 with 3761 viewsjaykay

another thing ,to add to the story as a 12 year old we use to catch the train from leiston [ thanks dr beecham] at 10am . we use to make day of it. at saxmundham lo and behold ted phillips use to get on the train at sax. i believe later on one of the cobbolds would pick him up at gromford. Ted was a great man, he would to speak to us all . he knew a lot of the older supporters as he had played with them at leiston

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

I know 'cos I was there. on 12:00 - Apr 28 with 3719 viewsSharkey

Like everyone else, I really enjoyed reading this

I think that fact about five players being in the team that won the 56/57 Division 3 South is the best. What careers they had, and playing in front of huge crowds, even in Division 3.
I know 'cos I was there. on 12:46 - Apr 28 with 3621 viewsBloomBlue

That was such a special team with the best manager this club has ever had. I've felt for many years our achievement of winning the league that year has never been given the credit it deserves across football although I get it as Ramsey leading England to World Cup victory was always going to get the headlines whenever the great Sir Alf is mentioned.

I remember the season to some degree, old age diminishes much, but I especially remember how we celebrated the Burnley with my Father, Granddad, Brothers and Uncles, sadly only one of those is still alive but memories like that you never forget

I'm too old to wear a football shirt now but that's the one star on our shirt that I'm the proudest of, to win the top league takes a great team.
I know 'cos I was there. on 12:49 - Apr 28 with 3605 viewsChurchman

Brilliant post. Thank you for this. Please continue to post this each year! Ipswich Town’s finest moment. I’d love to have seen it. My dad was there and I think his dad too. Lucky devils!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024