Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. 11:27 - Apr 29 with 17433 viewsTieDyedIn95

“If I was to carry on with the group of people I have here, I have no doubt they will get me sacked quite quickly.

“So the reality of my conversation is that I will not put up with that group of people and the changes will come very quickly. So if we could just clear that up.”

Utterly damning of the people we have recruited. It's refreshing to hear after years of being told how good we are, if it only wasn't for injuries we'd be fine and so on. Hurst alluded to this, Lambert's biggest mistake was to go with it and try and work with them rather than challenge the culture of failure here, until the last few weeks of his management.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 11:31 - Apr 29 with 6273 viewsJeanManuelThetis

Totally damning, and no doubt correct.

I'm not sure I have any sympathy with Hurst though, it's pretty much his players and recruitment that is the issue.
Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 11:33 - Apr 29 with 6241 viewspointofblue

I can’t think why they would want to get him sacked...

To be honest if he was my manager I’d want to be a million miles away from him too.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 11:36 - Apr 29 with 6199 viewschrismakin

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 11:33 - Apr 29 by pointofblue

I can’t think why they would want to get him sacked...

To be honest if he was my manager I’d want to be a million miles away from him too.

then i'd say you weren't a winner

That's all PC wants from his players, winners. Players that care, look after themselves and get us into the championship.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 11:37 - Apr 29 with 6196 viewsTieDyedIn95

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 11:31 - Apr 29 by JeanManuelThetis

Totally damning, and no doubt correct.

I'm not sure I have any sympathy with Hurst though, it's pretty much his players and recruitment that is the issue.

We've only got 4 or 5 of them still on the books, one of which is out on loan so I don't think we can blame Hurst for this season. I didn't rate him either but he did say this was the culture here 3 years ago and ran into confrontation with Skuse and Chambers who are still here. Didz even said it, and he was one of the best players we had.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 11:45 - Apr 29 with 6126 viewsBloomBlue

It's a funny old world because when Hurst threw a few under the bus some (many) fans used that as a stick to beat him with, poor man management and Doig is a bully how dare he treat players like that etc etc. Cook is throwing them under a bus and a train and getting plaudits for it 'that's what these players need' - funny old world
Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 11:51 - Apr 29 with 6050 viewstrncbluearmy

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 11:45 - Apr 29 by BloomBlue

It's a funny old world because when Hurst threw a few under the bus some (many) fans used that as a stick to beat him with, poor man management and Doig is a bully how dare he treat players like that etc etc. Cook is throwing them under a bus and a train and getting plaudits for it 'that's what these players need' - funny old world

There was a perception then that they were a decent squad

that turned out well
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 11:52]
Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 11:53 - Apr 29 with 6037 viewspointofblue

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 11:36 - Apr 29 by chrismakin

then i'd say you weren't a winner

That's all PC wants from his players, winners. Players that care, look after themselves and get us into the championship.

I wouldn’t like to be outed in public simply to save his own skin.

I hope he gets us up; I hope as a manager he gets us up and I won’t care how much of a b*****d he is then. But as a person do I think much of him? Sorry but no - and I understand that goes against the grain of most fans but that’s just me.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 12:05]

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:10 - Apr 29 with 5911 viewschrismakin

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 11:53 - Apr 29 by pointofblue

I hope he gets us up; I hope as a manager he gets us up and I won’t care how much of a b*****d he is then. But as a person do I think much of him? Sorry but no - and I understand that goes against the grain of most fans but that’s just me.

Why should he protect them? They're grown men.
He was nice and fluffy and protected them all when he came in. Clearly there has been some drastic issues behind the scenes for him to be so upfront. Things none of us get to see otherwise we would still be seeing mr fluffy... would that make you feel better. Same results but me fluffy coming out praising the players each 0-0 draw.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:14 - Apr 29 with 5883 viewsParsley

I don't think it is a man management tactic at this stage, most of these players will be gone soon
Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:16 - Apr 29 with 5857 viewsKieran_Knows

He ain't half contradicting himself at times. Again he say's he won't criticise the players ... only then to criticise them.

Just all seems a bit odd to me.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:20 - Apr 29 with 5799 viewschrismakin

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:16 - Apr 29 by Kieran_Knows

He ain't half contradicting himself at times. Again he say's he won't criticise the players ... only then to criticise them.

Hes no different to the rest of us. Just wants the season finished so we can announce who's leaving who's staying and he can concentrate on the summer.

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:24 - Apr 29 with 5772 viewsKeaneish

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:16 - Apr 29 by Kieran_Knows

When did he say he wouldn't criticise the players? I haven't seen that but may have missed it.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:27 - Apr 29 with 5755 viewsKieran_Knows

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:24 - Apr 29 by Keaneish

When did he say he wouldn't criticise the players? I haven't seen that but may have missed it.

Q: How excited are you about getting Portman Road rocking?

A: Today we are in a period of pain and you’ve got to go through that period.

It’s sport. I’m not going to criticise the group of players we have in the building, I won’t be drawn into that, but sport’s about winning and being competitive and giving everything you’ve got to be successful.

They’re traits that we lack dramatically in our club today. We won’t lack them tomorrow.

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:27 - Apr 29 with 5737 viewshaynes_toe1

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 11:53 - Apr 29 by pointofblue

I mean surely he see's that as soon as he decided to throw all the players under the bus he'd cost us that small chance of play-offs? Unless he didn't think he was capable anyway and this save's face for him.

I said elsewhere, club shouldn not be deducting iFollow fee's from season ticket holders when the manager has thrown in the towel and shown nothing since he came in. It's like Lamberts relegation season, although i'd argue we played slightly better then
Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:30 - Apr 29 with 5707 viewschrismakin

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:27 - Apr 29 by Kieran_Knows

It’s sport. I’m not going to criticise the group of players we have in the building, I won’t be drawn into that, but sport’s about winning and being competitive and giving everything you’ve got to be successful.

They’re traits that we lack dramatically in our club today. We won’t lack them tomorrow.

Maybe the group out of the building were the ones out in London Tuesday

Joking of course

But he could be being very literal and that the group he has in the building are the ones hes keeping.

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:34 - Apr 29 with 5666 viewsStokieBlue

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:27 - Apr 29 by Kieran_Knows

I think you need to add some context to that though.

I believe that was when he first joined and had barely worked with them. Things change and in the current context he clearly thinks some home truths need to be said.

It's up to people to agree with that approach or not.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:34 - Apr 29 with 5669 viewsDubtractor

I guess the difference was that hurst slated a mix of players from Mick's time, who we all knew were hard working players, plus his own signings.

Cook is slating players who have failed at every turn for 3 seasons now.

I do think that Cook has gone over the top a little, but it is hard to disagree with what he says.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:35 - Apr 29 with 5657 viewsKieran_Knows

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:34 - Apr 29 by StokieBlue

I think you need to add some context to that though.

I believe that was when he first joined and had barely worked with them. Things change and in the current context he clearly thinks some home truths need to be said.

It's up to people to agree with that approach or not.

SB

This was taken from Stuart Watson's piece on the EADT today (sorry Phil).

I'm all for change, but I'm just finding it all a little odd at the minute.

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:36 - Apr 29 with 5644 viewspointofblue

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:10 - Apr 29 by chrismakin

Why should he protect them? They're grown men.
He was nice and fluffy and protected them all when he came in. Clearly there has been some drastic issues behind the scenes for him to be so upfront. Things none of us get to see otherwise we would still be seeing mr fluffy... would that make you feel better. Same results but me fluffy coming out praising the players each 0-0 draw.

Mental health clearly on counts for people who matter then. The players clearly don’t count so they don’t matter. And before you say this is an over-reaction, how do you think the players will be feeling about this right now? It might not be a concern but even Cook said in the press conference that player’s well-being conducted needs to be taken into account - let me know when he starts doing that.

No, I wouldn’t expect the cushy “couldn’t have asked for more” which became increasingly infuriating under Lambert but more positive talk about fighting for players and showing pride for the shirt may have been the way forward rather than washing their hands of them after the horrific performance at Wimbledon. Can you imagine if Mick did that after his second away match in charge of us? Or the next one where we were thrashed again? And, just to clarify, I had no issues with his outburst immediately after that defeat but he hasn’t let go of it since.

Yes, there are things going on in the background which clearly displeases Cook and I understand that. But I didn’t expect him to be worse than Hurst and Keane combined when it came to this and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Take it in these terms - if a player has a choice between one club and the other at this level, unless he has worked with Cook before, surely the comments could see doubts in his mind about how Cook will act here if things start going wrong next season?

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:44 - Apr 29 with 5569 viewsJimmy86

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 11:37 - Apr 29 by TieDyedIn95

We've only got 4 or 5 of them still on the books, one of which is out on loan so I don't think we can blame Hurst for this season. I didn't rate him either but he did say this was the culture here 3 years ago and ran into confrontation with Skuse and Chambers who are still here. Didz even said it, and he was one of the best players we had.

The acceptance of mediocrity culture you speak of, that Hurst alluded to, goes right back to Micks time at the club... Hurst tried to change that culture, admittedly without the same track record Cook has, but was shot down fairly quickly... Hurst wasn't wrong in his assessment at the time, surrounding that culture, his recruitment was clearly the issue there, but again, had we had a genuine football owner/CEO they wouldn't have allowed it to happen.

As highlighted, when Didz left and joined Sheffield Utd, he mentioned that there was no real expectation to go out and win every game - when Mick openly admitted he would take a point if offered away from home and not even bother getting off the bus, it's no wonder the culture exists...
Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:45 - Apr 29 with 5552 viewschrismakin

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:36 - Apr 29 by pointofblue

Mental health clearly on counts for people who matter then. The players clearly don’t count so they don’t matter. And before you say this is an over-reaction, how do you think the players will be feeling about this right now? It might not be a concern but even Cook said in the press conference that player’s well-being conducted needs to be taken into account - let me know when he starts doing that.

No, I wouldn’t expect the cushy “couldn’t have asked for more” which became increasingly infuriating under Lambert but more positive talk about fighting for players and showing pride for the shirt may have been the way forward rather than washing their hands of them after the horrific performance at Wimbledon. Can you imagine if Mick did that after his second away match in charge of us? Or the next one where we were thrashed again? And, just to clarify, I had no issues with his outburst immediately after that defeat but he hasn’t let go of it since.

Yes, there are things going on in the background which clearly displeases Cook and I understand that. But I didn’t expect him to be worse than Hurst and Keane combined when it came to this and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Take it in these terms - if a player has a choice between one club and the other at this level, unless he has worked with Cook before, surely the comments could see doubts in his mind about how Cook will act here if things start going wrong next season?

Cant keep throwing in the mental health card. Not saying it's not there in some of course.. look at thomas. But it is possible to have a squad of just uninterested players.
Who had 0 interest in promotion.
Even mr miserable Haynes commented months ago about the players joking with opponents after losing. You certainly wouldnt see the likes of Magilton having a good old joke after a loss.

And this is what Cook has taken on.

Having to send players home as they couldn't train. 0 players arriving early or finish training late.. the players havent shown any efforts in ending this season on a high and this was all during PCs fluffy days.

Its 1 thing for fans to claim players dont care. But it must take some serious behind the scenes issues for a manager to announce it.

I dont think it will effect him getting players. He will be bringing players in who are ready to be at the level needed for success. Fitness. Mentality. Everything.

You wont see rants from PC just for losing games. Taking on this lot has seriously effected him and I think its fair he shares the scene for the supporters otherwise you're in another Hurst lambo situ where you just think it's the managers fault.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 12:46]

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:48 - Apr 29 with 5518 viewschrismakin

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:44 - Apr 29 by Jimmy86

The acceptance of mediocrity culture you speak of, that Hurst alluded to, goes right back to Micks time at the club... Hurst tried to change that culture, admittedly without the same track record Cook has, but was shot down fairly quickly... Hurst wasn't wrong in his assessment at the time, surrounding that culture, his recruitment was clearly the issue there, but again, had we had a genuine football owner/CEO they wouldn't have allowed it to happen.

As highlighted, when Didz left and joined Sheffield Utd, he mentioned that there was no real expectation to go out and win every game - when Mick openly admitted he would take a point if offered away from home and not even bother getting off the bus, it's no wonder the culture exists...

Judge is a prime example of that mindset

Rochdale away conceded 63 goals at home.

0-0

" tough place to come. A good point away from home"

I mean come on and people wonder why PC is publically shaming this group of players

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:49 - Apr 29 with 5505 viewsPinewoodblue

Just to reinforce the managers comments we have a player saying that individually and collectively it has been a season to forget.

WRONG... I hope that those fortunate to be here next season will have learned something from the season now ending.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:52 - Apr 29 with 5464 viewschrismakin

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:49 - Apr 29 by Pinewoodblue

Just to reinforce the managers comments we have a player saying that individually and collectively it has been a season to forget.

WRONG... I hope that those fortunate to be here next season will have learned something from the season now ending.

I like the way the players havent really thought about the 10 hour goalless run.

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:53 - Apr 29 with 5462 viewspointofblue

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:45 - Apr 29 by chrismakin

Cant keep throwing in the mental health card. Not saying it's not there in some of course.. look at thomas. But it is possible to have a squad of just uninterested players.
Who had 0 interest in promotion.
Even mr miserable Haynes commented months ago about the players joking with opponents after losing. You certainly wouldnt see the likes of Magilton having a good old joke after a loss.

And this is what Cook has taken on.

Having to send players home as they couldn't train. 0 players arriving early or finish training late.. the players havent shown any efforts in ending this season on a high and this was all during PCs fluffy days.

Its 1 thing for fans to claim players dont care. But it must take some serious behind the scenes issues for a manager to announce it.

I dont think it will effect him getting players. He will be bringing players in who are ready to be at the level needed for success. Fitness. Mentality. Everything.

You wont see rants from PC just for losing games. Taking on this lot has seriously effected him and I think its fair he shares the scene for the supporters otherwise you're in another Hurst lambo situ where you just think it's the managers fault.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 12:46]

Then give the players a boost up the backside BEHIND the scenes. I imagine that’s what most managers do but how many bosses, including Cook himself before he came here, sell or sold players out on such a regular basis as he is doing now? It’s unheard of - I can’t even remember Keane or Hurst being this bad and both were more than happy to pass the buck where possible.

I hate the reference to “hiding” behind mental health - it should be treated with far more importance than that. And if players are uninterested why? It’s easy to dismiss as not caring rather than taking the conventional approach of trying to motivate and encourage. Of course players are going to be uninterested if the manager has made it clear he has made his decisions and anything they do now won’t matter. I don’t think the rumours about not wing able to train was down to lack of interest anyway - think it was more because they couldn’t due to pathetic training regime which has been in place for far too long meaning they lacked the match fitness to manage it.

It’s odd because these rants have just convinced me that Cook has had a hand in this dismal end of season run, rather having me support him no matter what he says and does.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024