Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. 11:27 - Apr 29 with 17313 viewsTieDyedIn95

“If I was to carry on with the group of people I have here, I have no doubt they will get me sacked quite quickly.

“So the reality of my conversation is that I will not put up with that group of people and the changes will come very quickly. So if we could just clear that up.”

Utterly damning of the people we have recruited. It's refreshing to hear after years of being told how good we are, if it only wasn't for injuries we'd be fine and so on. Hurst alluded to this, Lambert's biggest mistake was to go with it and try and work with them rather than challenge the culture of failure here, until the last few weeks of his management.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:59 - Apr 29 with 2389 viewschrismakin

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:53 - Apr 29 by pointofblue

Then give the players a boost up the backside BEHIND the scenes. I imagine that’s what most managers do but how many bosses, including Cook himself before he came here, sell or sold players out on such a regular basis as he is doing now? It’s unheard of - I can’t even remember Keane or Hurst being this bad and both were more than happy to pass the buck where possible.

I hate the reference to “hiding” behind mental health - it should be treated with far more importance than that. And if players are uninterested why? It’s easy to dismiss as not caring rather than taking the conventional approach of trying to motivate and encourage. Of course players are going to be uninterested if the manager has made it clear he has made his decisions and anything they do now won’t matter. I don’t think the rumours about not wing able to train was down to lack of interest anyway - think it was more because they couldn’t due to pathetic training regime which has been in place for far too long meaning they lacked the match fitness to manage it.

It’s odd because these rants have just convinced me that Cook has had a hand in this dismal end of season run, rather having me support him no matter what he says and does.

We could be asking why for months. It's not sometimes g that's just happened this last few weeks. It's been a massive issue at this club for years. And it's been evident with the way the players have acted around the club. And no the training isnt just down to the past. What stops them going in early or finishing late? And this is before the pc outing period.

This is why PC gets my support until next season as he has been the nice manager you want hes tried various players. Formations. Etc etc and still the players have shown 0 interest. If this was an untried manager at this level like Hurst was in the championship I'd be concerned but PC isnt. Hes a very well respected. Experienced manager for this level

All in all the 3 games to go and we can forget this horrible last few years and start to look forward.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:01 - Apr 29 with 2385 viewspointofblue

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:59 - Apr 29 by chrismakin

We could be asking why for months. It's not sometimes g that's just happened this last few weeks. It's been a massive issue at this club for years. And it's been evident with the way the players have acted around the club. And no the training isnt just down to the past. What stops them going in early or finishing late? And this is before the pc outing period.

This is why PC gets my support until next season as he has been the nice manager you want hes tried various players. Formations. Etc etc and still the players have shown 0 interest. If this was an untried manager at this level like Hurst was in the championship I'd be concerned but PC isnt. Hes a very well respected. Experienced manager for this level

All in all the 3 games to go and we can forget this horrible last few years and start to look forward.

His experience and record at this level is what gives me hope but all I’ll say is I’ve been unpleasantly surprised with him so far. But, as he said, he’s hanging around so I’ll just have to accept it.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:03 - Apr 29 with 2384 viewsKeaneish

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:27 - Apr 29 by Kieran_Knows

Q: How excited are you about getting Portman Road rocking?

A: Today we are in a period of pain and you’ve got to go through that period.

It’s sport. I’m not going to criticise the group of players we have in the building, I won’t be drawn into that, but sport’s about winning and being competitive and giving everything you’ve got to be successful.

They’re traits that we lack dramatically in our club today. We won’t lack them tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing. I guess reality kicked in at some point and hanging the players out to dry become the obvious strategy with contract situations, ailing performances, season ticket renewals and an extended pre-season at our door.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:03 - Apr 29 with 2381 viewsBeckets

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:53 - Apr 29 by pointofblue

Then give the players a boost up the backside BEHIND the scenes. I imagine that’s what most managers do but how many bosses, including Cook himself before he came here, sell or sold players out on such a regular basis as he is doing now? It’s unheard of - I can’t even remember Keane or Hurst being this bad and both were more than happy to pass the buck where possible.

I hate the reference to “hiding” behind mental health - it should be treated with far more importance than that. And if players are uninterested why? It’s easy to dismiss as not caring rather than taking the conventional approach of trying to motivate and encourage. Of course players are going to be uninterested if the manager has made it clear he has made his decisions and anything they do now won’t matter. I don’t think the rumours about not wing able to train was down to lack of interest anyway - think it was more because they couldn’t due to pathetic training regime which has been in place for far too long meaning they lacked the match fitness to manage it.

It’s odd because these rants have just convinced me that Cook has had a hand in this dismal end of season run, rather having me support him no matter what he says and does.

Cook is clearly floundering at the moment. His random team selections, contradictory public statements, moving away from his preferred formation etc. To say he needs a good summer and pre season is an understatement. The owners, Ashton etc will not prevaricate like Evans if he doesn’t.
Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:04 - Apr 29 with 2368 viewschrismakin

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:01 - Apr 29 by pointofblue

His experience and record at this level is what gives me hope but all I’ll say is I’ve been unpleasantly surprised with him so far. But, as he said, he’s hanging around so I’ll just have to accept it.

You wont be dissapointed, it'll come good.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:05 - Apr 29 with 2383 viewsPlums

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:34 - Apr 29 by Dubtractor

I guess the difference was that hurst slated a mix of players from Mick's time, who we all knew were hard working players, plus his own signings.

Cook is slating players who have failed at every turn for 3 seasons now.

I do think that Cook has gone over the top a little, but it is hard to disagree with what he says.

Including publicly shaming the three times player of the season who had just come back from the World Cup having achieved more in the game than Hurst ever has or is likely to.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:06 - Apr 29 with 2373 viewsstonojnr

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:24 - Apr 29 by Keaneish

When did he say he wouldn't criticise the players? I haven't seen that but may have missed it.

usually in his post match interviews he says it, or says he wont be drawn on the players or go down that road etc etc

Im presuming his logic is he isnt naming individuals, so not directly criticising them in public, just treating them as a group
Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:10 - Apr 29 with 2354 viewsSitfcB

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:16 - Apr 29 by Kieran_Knows

He ain't half contradicting himself at times. Again he say's he won't criticise the players ... only then to criticise them.

Just all seems a bit odd to me.

I think he meant as in naming names and singling out people.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:11 - Apr 29 with 2351 viewsBobbychase

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 11:45 - Apr 29 by BloomBlue

It's a funny old world because when Hurst threw a few under the bus some (many) fans used that as a stick to beat him with, poor man management and Doig is a bully how dare he treat players like that etc etc. Cook is throwing them under a bus and a train and getting plaudits for it 'that's what these players need' - funny old world

Hurst threw them under a bus after the Exeter JPT match - a handful of games into the season. I was there that night and while we were poor, we weren't THAT bad. It seemed a poor choice of timing to press the nuclear button.

Cook has won promotion with three clubs and knows what desire, fight and players with ambition look like. He has sized up our current bunch very well and they deserve everything he says about them.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:11 - Apr 29 with 2343 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 11:45 - Apr 29 by BloomBlue

It's a funny old world because when Hurst threw a few under the bus some (many) fans used that as a stick to beat him with, poor man management and Doig is a bully how dare he treat players like that etc etc. Cook is throwing them under a bus and a train and getting plaudits for it 'that's what these players need' - funny old world

The difference was, that Hurst was mostly slamming on experienced, solid pros who'd given 100% mainly to buffer against his own incompetence and poor recruitment. Cook is fighting against years of bad management and a rotten club culture that's been allowed to fester over the past three years.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 13:31]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:14 - Apr 29 with 2332 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:05 - Apr 29 by Plums

Including publicly shaming the three times player of the season who had just come back from the World Cup having achieved more in the game than Hurst ever has or is likely to.

And saying that another one who'd returned from the World Cup having looked good against two sides who went on to be finalists needed to 'prove he was good enough' to a bloke who'd never managed above the third division.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 13:14]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:15 - Apr 29 with 2325 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 11:51 - Apr 29 by trncbluearmy

There was a perception then that they were a decent squad

that turned out well
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 11:52]

They were, until Hurst took it apart.

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:15 - Apr 29 with 2322 viewschrismakin

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:11 - Apr 29 by BlueBadger

The difference was, that Hurst was mostly slamming on experienced, solid pros who'd given 100% mainly to buffer against his own incompetence and poor recruitment. Cook is fighting against years of bad management and a rotten club culture that's been allowed to fester over the past three years.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 13:31]

and Hurst had 0 experience at that level, the likes of Chambers etc would be right in thinking who the fk do you think you are.

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:20 - Apr 29 with 2310 viewsstonojnr

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:10 - Apr 29 by chrismakin

Why should he protect them? They're grown men.
He was nice and fluffy and protected them all when he came in. Clearly there has been some drastic issues behind the scenes for him to be so upfront. Things none of us get to see otherwise we would still be seeing mr fluffy... would that make you feel better. Same results but me fluffy coming out praising the players each 0-0 draw.

because to lead a group of people they have to feel they trust you, and man management skills are about as much as learning how to meet people half way than simply demand something and chew them out if they dont do it for you, the best football managers are always the ones that know how to get the best out of people, not the ones who shout the loudest about stuff.

we could let Hurst off for doing it as more of an inexperienced manager at this level, Cook doesnt have that excuse, though theres nothing to suggest at his previous clubs this was his style, so maybe its just a frustration of the position the team/squad are in and how theyve reacted to his methods so far.

but if he continues to manage like this, he wont be here that long, as he wont be replacing the whole squad in the summer even if he wants to and there will be players he is absolutely happy to kick out of the club right now, he will be forced to work with next season, and none of them will put their trust in him, none of them will put that extra bit of effort in for him, and he will be stuck with them.

and the alternate isnt being mr fluffy about it, the alternate is being mr realistic and saying we recognise the deficiencies in the current squad, we arent where we want to be, we will look to fix the issues in the summer transfer window, thats all he needs to say, and he can repeat that message in every presser and no-one would think any the worse of him.
Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:22 - Apr 29 with 2292 viewshaynes_toe1

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:04 - Apr 29 by chrismakin

You wont be dissapointed, it'll come good.

Stupid thing to say. No-one knows.
Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:27 - Apr 29 with 2272 viewschrismakin

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:20 - Apr 29 by stonojnr

because to lead a group of people they have to feel they trust you, and man management skills are about as much as learning how to meet people half way than simply demand something and chew them out if they dont do it for you, the best football managers are always the ones that know how to get the best out of people, not the ones who shout the loudest about stuff.

we could let Hurst off for doing it as more of an inexperienced manager at this level, Cook doesnt have that excuse, though theres nothing to suggest at his previous clubs this was his style, so maybe its just a frustration of the position the team/squad are in and how theyve reacted to his methods so far.

but if he continues to manage like this, he wont be here that long, as he wont be replacing the whole squad in the summer even if he wants to and there will be players he is absolutely happy to kick out of the club right now, he will be forced to work with next season, and none of them will put their trust in him, none of them will put that extra bit of effort in for him, and he will be stuck with them.

and the alternate isnt being mr fluffy about it, the alternate is being mr realistic and saying we recognise the deficiencies in the current squad, we arent where we want to be, we will look to fix the issues in the summer transfer window, thats all he needs to say, and he can repeat that message in every presser and no-one would think any the worse of him.

"thats all he needs to say, and he can repeat that message in every presser and no-one would think any the worse of him."

Sorry but wrong, just like there are people applauding cook, there would have still been people not happy if he did that, that's football.

However like I've said, this is a very experienced manager, now for him to go total bus throwing, there must be something seriously wrong behind the scenes, more than any of us fans know. There simply has to be, his man management has never been questionned by fans, media alike, he isn't suddenly going to turn into a different man.

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:30 - Apr 29 with 2268 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 12:44 - Apr 29 by Jimmy86

The acceptance of mediocrity culture you speak of, that Hurst alluded to, goes right back to Micks time at the club... Hurst tried to change that culture, admittedly without the same track record Cook has, but was shot down fairly quickly... Hurst wasn't wrong in his assessment at the time, surrounding that culture, his recruitment was clearly the issue there, but again, had we had a genuine football owner/CEO they wouldn't have allowed it to happen.

As highlighted, when Didz left and joined Sheffield Utd, he mentioned that there was no real expectation to go out and win every game - when Mick openly admitted he would take a point if offered away from home and not even bother getting off the bus, it's no wonder the culture exists...

I'd argue that's more pragmatism and than an acceptance of mediocrity. Now, the singing of 'two little birds', 'we go again', Improved performances(which were just limp defeats dressed in occasional midfield tippy-tappy)and 'Lambo' banners on the other hand...

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:32 - Apr 29 with 2258 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:15 - Apr 29 by chrismakin

and Hurst had 0 experience at that level, the likes of Chambers etc would be right in thinking who the fk do you think you are.

The treatment of Bart and Knudsen was where the alarm bells should have been ringing.

Instead, people were happy to see 'Mick's Men' being singled out.

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:32 - Apr 29 with 2252 viewschrismakin

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:22 - Apr 29 by haynes_toe1

Stupid thing to say. No-one knows.

glass half empty kinda guy then Haynes, would never have thought that with your posts.

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:34 - Apr 29 with 2242 viewschrismakin

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:32 - Apr 29 by BlueBadger

The treatment of Bart and Knudsen was where the alarm bells should have been ringing.

Instead, people were happy to see 'Mick's Men' being singled out.

yep the bart one got me, if the rumours were spot on, it was utterly disgusting.

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:36 - Apr 29 with 2247 viewsfooters

Great. Give 'em the John Sitton treatment and bin them all off. Bunch'a slackers.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:56 - Apr 29 with 2206 viewsThe_Major

Just checked the records re Hurst. The Exeter game where he was not happy was only the third game of the season, in the League Cup. Before that we'd got a draw against a good Blackburn side and played well, and then was really unlucky in the Barry Chuckle match against Rotherham with the winner coming in the 90th minute.

So the Exeter match was the first game we played absolute rubbish. Even pre-season we won three out of four, with the only defeat coming against West Ham.

It could therefore be argued that the first time things went wrong, Hurst publicly exploded. It took about eight or nine consecutive poor matches for Cook to reach the same point.
Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 14:07 - Apr 29 with 2167 viewshaynes_toe1

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 13:32 - Apr 29 by chrismakin

glass half empty kinda guy then Haynes, would never have thought that with your posts.

Maybe a little, but it's more this blank fan-girling "it's all going to be good" that I have a big problem with because it let the likes of Lambert off the hook for far too long with the fans.
Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 14:09 - Apr 29 with 2160 viewschrismakin

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 14:07 - Apr 29 by haynes_toe1

Maybe a little, but it's more this blank fan-girling "it's all going to be good" that I have a big problem with because it let the likes of Lambert off the hook for far too long with the fans.

I hated hurst. I hated Lambert.
Before they both walked in.

So for me to feel confident in PC. Means I really must rate him. I do trust him and generally I'm excited for the future.

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 14:52 - Apr 29 with 2113 viewsRadioOrwell

Paul Cook is utterly shaming our players today. on 11:33 - Apr 29 by pointofblue

I can’t think why they would want to get him sacked...

To be honest if he was my manager I’d want to be a million miles away from him too.

If you are useless and lazy.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024