Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When we lose the next three games 11:39 - Apr 29 with 2004 viewsgtsb1966

there really isn't any point posting about how crap we are, players aren't trying or how PC has picked the wrong team is there. The manager has said it again. Everyone connected to ITFC can't wait for the season to end. The next three games are pointless pardon the pun. Cook has said he will be part of our future which was good to hear and until the end of the season we might as well just shrug our shoulders at full time and all get along . Can't wait for next season.
When we lose the next three games on 11:43 - Apr 29 with 1691 viewsthebooks

Hmmm. I’m not sure this is really what we signed up for when we recruited Cook — I was expecting at least a tilt at the playoffs.

Next season better be good if this squad is apparently so terrible.
When we lose the next three games on 11:46 - Apr 29 with 1671 viewsTieDyedIn95

When we lose the next three games on 11:43 - Apr 29 by thebooks

Hmmm. I’m not sure this is really what we signed up for when we recruited Cook — I was expecting at least a tilt at the playoffs.

This is the issue - people are already expecting an instant fix. Even if we got shot of Cook after the three games, a new manager would have to do something radical to change the club and turn it around and that could take years.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

When we lose the next three games on 11:58 - Apr 29 with 1622 viewsthebooks

When we lose the next three games on 11:46 - Apr 29 by TieDyedIn95

This is the issue - people are already expecting an instant fix. Even if we got shot of Cook after the three games, a new manager would have to do something radical to change the club and turn it around and that could take years.

I don’t want to get rid of Cook — I was really pleased with his appointment — and there are obviously some longstanding problems at the club.

However, I don’t think we’re a bottom three team, and I think if Matt Gill can get a tune out of the squad by going back to basics then Paul Cook should be able to as well.

I don’t think it would be unreasonable to expect to be having these conversations about the longterm future of Town/the squad while at least challenging for the playoffs.

To have reached a situation where the manager has basically jettisoned the first team with three games of a season to go is more than mildly disappointing.

Now he has to do a full scale rebuild and get off to a flying start (unless we’re going to accept the same sort of form next season!?), rather than pick out the potential from the existing squad and enhance it, which would be far less of a challenge.

I don’t want to be in another Lambert situation where we’re just making excuses for a manager not getting it right.
When we lose the next three games on 12:03 - Apr 29 with 1612 viewspointofblue

What really gets me is the next three games don’t count. Decisions have been made so why would anyone bother trying? They could injure themselves which would either effect their future here or elsewhere. So when we see a lack of effort over the next week or so, there’s a good reason why.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

When we lose the next three games on 12:12 - Apr 29 with 1588 viewsAlanG296

Totally agree. Yes we might have made the playoffs, but there's no way we could beat 2 top six teams to win them. Promotion was always out of reach with this squad. Season 2020/21 is over for us. So take it easy now, don't pay for ifollow, don't keep up with the game on twtd or other sites, do something else and save yourselves for the changes to come at ITFC.
When we lose the next three games on 12:23 - Apr 29 with 1567 viewshaynes_toe1

Argument to say the club shouldn't be deducting iFollow fee's from anyone if the manager has thrown in the towel.
Hmmmmmm..... on 12:32 - Apr 29 with 1558 viewsunstableblue

.... I would say that I'm a little underwhelmed and concerned about Paul's latest inspirational words!

To be clear I think Cook is a breath of fresh air, and this is a demise in player adventure, energy and capability that has festered throughout Marcus' reign, and needs surgery. But, BUT, this run of form and goal drought under his management is deeply worrying.

I'm surprise how many are just shrugging it off; writing off the season!

"Again, at the minute, the training ground’s not a great place to be, as you can imagine, there’s so much negativity in the air and around the place."

Do people really feel, that this vibe is going to miraculously disappear over the summer, and with the introduction of what 5-7 players? (recruiting 5 players of quality is going to be very hard, let alone 10, 11, 12). There are still going to be half the players returning, with zero buy-in to the Cook project.

Downes should be a key player... he looks completely shot at present in this atmosphere. He should be ending the season strong, buying into Cook's ideas.

For me Paul needs to focus on short term, near term targets, for the next few weeks. We need a goal first and foremost, if he can't train a goal into the team.. then that is concerning; from that we need a WIN.

619 minutes without a goal, against the opposition we have been facing, is a scandal. For all the squads obvious weaknesses and challenges, its good enough to score against these teams.

Imagine 889 minutes without a goal! and for me that is looking quite probable.

Hello mister new recruit would you like to to come to suffolk, to the third tier, to a club that has finished 16th, who hasn;t scored a goal in 14hours of football, and who's training ground is a 'negative place' and who's manager is all over twitter throwing his players under a bus.

Paul, please please please, step-up, put your arms round the players, and coach a frickin goal out of the team

Jesus wept.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

When we lose the next three games on 12:35 - Apr 29 with 1543 viewsunstableblue

No one is saying Cook is not the right man

See my post above

What we're saying is 15hours of football without a goal against the teams we've been playing and have yet to play, with the squad we have (for all its obvious flaws) is not acceptable... and does not prepare the right atmosphere for a season of recruitment and getting the best our of the returning players.

We could not afford a replacement for Downes, we need him firing, at the moment he looks like he wants out... and is getting worse game by game rather than buying into Cook's approach

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Login to get fewer ads

When we lose the next three games on 12:53 - Apr 29 with 1483 viewschrismakin

When we lose the next three games on 12:35 - Apr 29 by unstableblue

No one is saying Cook is not the right man

See my post above

What we're saying is 15hours of football without a goal against the teams we've been playing and have yet to play, with the squad we have (for all its obvious flaws) is not acceptable... and does not prepare the right atmosphere for a season of recruitment and getting the best our of the returning players.

We could not afford a replacement for Downes, we need him firing, at the moment he looks like he wants out... and is getting worse game by game rather than buying into Cook's approach

Getting worse? Hes been solid. More than solid

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

When we lose the next three games on 12:57 - Apr 29 with 1469 viewspointofblue

When we lose the next three games on 12:53 - Apr 29 by chrismakin

Getting worse? Hes been solid. More than solid

Downes? For the most part yes, but he’s been going backwards in the last few games.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

When we lose the next three games on 13:02 - Apr 29 with 1454 viewsIllinoisblue

You’re right but I think it’s fair and acceptable to look back on the last 13 games and ask why Cook couldn’t do more. That easy run in looks a bit different now.

Anyway, fook it, here’s to next season and bringing back the good times.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Hmmmmmm..... on 13:06 - Apr 29 with 1448 viewsBlueBadger

Hmmmmmm..... on 12:32 - Apr 29 by unstableblue

.... I would say that I'm a little underwhelmed and concerned about Paul's latest inspirational words!

To be clear I think Cook is a breath of fresh air, and this is a demise in player adventure, energy and capability that has festered throughout Marcus' reign, and needs surgery. But, BUT, this run of form and goal drought under his management is deeply worrying.

I'm surprise how many are just shrugging it off; writing off the season!

"Again, at the minute, the training ground’s not a great place to be, as you can imagine, there’s so much negativity in the air and around the place."

Do people really feel, that this vibe is going to miraculously disappear over the summer, and with the introduction of what 5-7 players? (recruiting 5 players of quality is going to be very hard, let alone 10, 11, 12). There are still going to be half the players returning, with zero buy-in to the Cook project.

Downes should be a key player... he looks completely shot at present in this atmosphere. He should be ending the season strong, buying into Cook's ideas.

For me Paul needs to focus on short term, near term targets, for the next few weeks. We need a goal first and foremost, if he can't train a goal into the team.. then that is concerning; from that we need a WIN.

619 minutes without a goal, against the opposition we have been facing, is a scandal. For all the squads obvious weaknesses and challenges, its good enough to score against these teams.

Imagine 889 minutes without a goal! and for me that is looking quite probable.

Hello mister new recruit would you like to to come to suffolk, to the third tier, to a club that has finished 16th, who hasn;t scored a goal in 14hours of football, and who's training ground is a 'negative place' and who's manager is all over twitter throwing his players under a bus.

Paul, please please please, step-up, put your arms round the players, and coach a frickin goal out of the team

Jesus wept.

The past three years have broken them, to varying degrees.
Lambert's weird blend of 'can't be arsed' and 'can actually be arsed but only if it challenges his ego' coupled to his insistence on implementing a chanceless and gamble-free style of Technical Football has totally killed their enthusiasm for the game.

There's some that are likely redeemable but those that aren't need to go.

My own personal theory on workplaces is there are basically three types - the grafters(Chambers, Downes, for example) who take some pride and offer a high degree of professionalism and leadership, the skivers who couldn't ultimately give a toss and drag down those aprons them with their poor attitudes and laziness(Norwood is the most obvious example here, maybe Jackson - we don't really know what happened with Lambert there) and the 'goats' who need proper leadership and guidance(Dozzell). Workplace culture forms around who the goats ultimately follow.

If it's the skivers who hold sway, you're f**cked. You probably need around 2 to 3 times as grafters s you do skivers as quite often the skivers are the ones who shout loudest.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 13:21]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

When we lose the next three games on 13:09 - Apr 29 with 1428 viewsBlueBadger

When we lose the next three games on 11:43 - Apr 29 by thebooks

The utter lack of response to Cook coming in is disappointing and concerning even given the deep-rooted problems that were allowed to fester thanks to Lambert's incompetence and arrogance and Evans' half-ased approach to running the club.

The honeymoon period has been well and truly blown and he's gambling massively in being able to implement changes that will not only work but work quickly.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

When we lose the next three games on 13:13 - Apr 29 with 1410 viewschrismakin

When we lose the next three games on 13:09 - Apr 29 by BlueBadger

The utter lack of response to Cook coming in is disappointing and concerning even given the deep-rooted problems that were allowed to fester thanks to Lambert's incompetence and arrogance and Evans' half-ased approach to running the club.

The honeymoon period has been well and truly blown and he's gambling massively in being able to implement changes that will not only work but work quickly.

He'll have 2 seasons max to get us up. But anything less than playoff positions by xmas and I can see them having thoughts

They always said, promotion to championship either next season or the one after, but berke is a fan and has low patience...... so basically we need to be showing a massive improvement and be competing properly, not a fun of 8 wins and then nothing else for 5 months.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Hmmmmmm..... on 13:15 - Apr 29 with 1416 viewsBeckets

Hmmmmmm..... on 13:06 - Apr 29 by BlueBadger

The past three years have broken them, to varying degrees.
Lambert's weird blend of 'can't be arsed' and 'can actually be arsed but only if it challenges his ego' coupled to his insistence on implementing a chanceless and gamble-free style of Technical Football has totally killed their enthusiasm for the game.

There's some that are likely redeemable but those that aren't need to go.

My own personal theory on workplaces is there are basically three types - the grafters(Chambers, Downes, for example) who take some pride and offer a high degree of professionalism and leadership, the skivers who couldn't ultimately give a toss and drag down those aprons them with their poor attitudes and laziness(Norwood is the most obvious example here, maybe Jackson - we don't really know what happened with Lambert there) and the 'goats' who need proper leadership and guidance(Dozzell). Workplace culture forms around who the goats ultimately follow.

If it's the skivers who hold sway, you're f**cked. You probably need around 2 to 3 times as grafters s you do skivers as quite often the skivers are the ones who shout loudest.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 13:21]

Excellent analysis. McCarthy put a lot of grafters in the squad as he built it and dispensed with any skivers in fairly short order. In doing so he changed the culture of the squad and allowed somebody like Mings to flourish. The football wasn’t that pleasing on the eye at times but the commitment couldn’t be questioned.
Hmmmmmm..... on 13:20 - Apr 29 with 1400 viewschrismakin

Hmmmmmm..... on 13:15 - Apr 29 by Beckets

Excellent analysis. McCarthy put a lot of grafters in the squad as he built it and dispensed with any skivers in fairly short order. In doing so he changed the culture of the squad and allowed somebody like Mings to flourish. The football wasn’t that pleasing on the eye at times but the commitment couldn’t be questioned.

but it was questionned by some players,

the problem was we would still go to games happy with a point, that isn't ipswich.
we went to crew once and I think we won 5-4, or something like that, winning games 3-2, 4-3, 0-5 away from home.

that's where PC wants to get us again, he knows we will concede goals next season, that's a given for his style, but he will make sure we score more than we concede.

Hmmmmmm..... on 13:20 - Apr 29 with 1405 viewsBlueBadger

Hmmmmmm..... on 13:15 - Apr 29 by Beckets

The same was true under Burley as well. The likes of Magilton, Mowbray, Holland, Venus, Wilnis and Scowcroft were by no means all traditional chest beaters but they were thoroughly professional and hard working.

The odd piss-taker that Burley recruited soon either fell into line or left.

Hmmmmmm..... on 13:22 - Apr 29 with 1385 viewsBlueBadger

Hmmmmmm..... on 13:20 - Apr 29 by chrismakin

but it was questionned by some players,

the problem was we would still go to games happy with a point, that isn't ipswich.
we went to crew once and I think we won 5-4, or something like that, winning games 3-2, 4-3, 0-5 away from home.

that's where PC wants to get us again, he knows we will concede goals next season, that's a given for his style, but he will make sure we score more than we concede.

'No such thing as a bad away point' is a football cliche is a cliche because it's true though.

'Win the home games, draw the away' has always been a thing.

When we lose the next three games on 13:23 - Apr 29 with 1384 viewsBlueBadger

When we lose the next three games on 13:13 - Apr 29 by chrismakin

He'll have 2 seasons max to get us up. But anything less than playoff positions by xmas and I can see them having thoughts

They always said, promotion to championship either next season or the one after, but berke is a fan and has low patience...... so basically we need to be showing a massive improvement and be competing properly, not a fun of 8 wins and then nothing else for 5 months.

'Free hit' and 'we go again' culture is hopefully now a thing of the past.

When we lose the next three games on 13:26 - Apr 29 with 1369 viewsBlueBadger

No-one's expecting a 'fix' this season. An upturn in performances and commitment would have been nice though.

Although, given the fact that Lambert was two years too long in post, the practices he's implemented will need time to turn around.

When we lose the next three games on 13:28 - Apr 29 with 1357 viewsBlueBadger

When we lose the next three games on 12:57 - Apr 29 by pointofblue

Downes? For the most part yes, but he’s been going backwards in the last few games.

Like Dozzell, he's only one player who is only 22 and surrounded by inept and/or utterly demoralised players.

Neither can do it on their own.

When we lose the next three games on 13:28 - Apr 29 with 1349 viewsstonojnr

When we lose the next three games on 12:12 - Apr 29 by AlanG296

Totally agree. Yes we might have made the playoffs, but there's no way we could beat 2 top six teams to win them. Promotion was always out of reach with this squad. Season 2020/21 is over for us. So take it easy now, don't pay for ifollow, don't keep up with the game on twtd or other sites, do something else and save yourselves for the changes to come at ITFC.

it breeds confidence though, winning games, winning mentality, being involved in something that could lead to a major game, certainly some of these players the biggest game theyve ever played in, and you go into next season positively.

instead we are going into these games just wishing theyd hurry up and be over, which builds that negative mindset of we dont win games, the manager gets the hump with the players, everyone feels rotten about it and it lingers over the summer, regardless of the ins and outs of players.

and guess what come the start of next season, you then lose the first 3 games, rock bottom of the table...will the team who were positive & confident over the summer just treat it as a blip and recover, or will the team who were negative and down treat it as more of the same again.
When we lose the next three games on 13:28 - Apr 29 with 1348 viewsIpswichKnight

When we lose the next three games on 13:13 - Apr 29 by chrismakin

I don’t think he’ll get that long. The owners want shot of this league next season they will tolerate being in L1 for 22/23 season if that happens Cook will be gone. If it looks like we are falling off come October I wouldn’t be surprised to see him gone then. However it’s all irrelevant at the moment they will back him in the summer.
When we lose the next three games on 13:29 - Apr 29 with 1353 viewsGlasgowBlue

PMSL if we win the next three and miss the play offs by a couple of points.

Actually, I'll probably cry into my beer.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Hmmmmmm..... on 13:31 - Apr 29 with 1338 viewschrismakin

Hmmmmmm..... on 13:22 - Apr 29 by BlueBadger

'No such thing as a bad away point' is a football cliche is a cliche because it's true though.

'Win the home games, draw the away' has always been a thing.

whilst true

0-0 Rochdale, not a great point for example and Judge was happy with that.

It's no coincedence our most successful managers all played each game without fear, go there to win, right until that whistle blows at fulltime, in my time, Burley Royle, same fearless football, never happy with a draw,

I don't like to use them as examples, but Norwich over the past few years, how many last minute goals have they scored... they did not stop. Rightly or wrongly, depending how you see it personally, I feel since the Royle days, we've been stuck in safe mode.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024