Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... 22:13 - Apr 29 with 2737 viewsWicklowBlue

Feel sorry for Roma tonight and means that it's a dead rubber that no one bar ManU Supporters will watch.

"Teams will be able to make five substitutions but, to limit the number of stoppages, they will only be allowed to make these changes at three points in the game. These three occasions do not include changes at half-time, between the end of normal playing time and extra time, and at half-time during extra time. One additional substitution will be allowed during extra time.

There will also be more player to choose from: a total of 23 players will be allowed on the match sheet instead of 18, something usually only permitted for the final."

Of course all clubs signed up to this, but what is the point of having 5 subs if you can't use them? Roma had to make 3 subs for injuries in the first half, as they didn't make any at half time they couldn't replace knackered and injured players in the 2nd half.

Complete joke!
Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 22:27 - Apr 29 with 2613 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Meh.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 22:29 - Apr 29 with 2594 viewsWicklowBlue

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 22:27 - Apr 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

Meh.

Thanks for your contribution
Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 22:31 - Apr 29 with 2581 viewspointofblue

Isn't it the same in the EFL?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 23:32 - Apr 29 with 2413 viewsJ2BLUE

Three subs is the absolute maximum there should be anyway.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 01:15 - Apr 30 with 2281 viewsBonchosBicycle

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 23:32 - Apr 29 by J2BLUE

Three subs is the absolute maximum there should be anyway.

I'd say two. And no free goalkeeper. There are not enough outfield players being forced to put the gloves on these days. Few things make a game more entertaining for my money.
Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 02:54 - Apr 30 with 2231 viewsacj

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 01:15 - Apr 30 by BonchosBicycle

I'd say two. And no free goalkeeper. There are not enough outfield players being forced to put the gloves on these days. Few things make a game more entertaining for my money.

Oh I totally agree with this. Maybe just ban professional goalkeepers altogether, and just maybe Town will manage a goal or two!

Poll: Will Town score again this season?

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 05:07 - Apr 30 with 2188 viewspowinswitch

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 02:54 - Apr 30 by acj

Oh I totally agree with this. Maybe just ban professional goalkeepers altogether, and just maybe Town will manage a goal or two!

In Capt Mainwaring voice.... You stupid boy
Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 06:55 - Apr 30 with 2021 viewsvapour_trail

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 02:54 - Apr 30 by acj

Yeah, not sure about this. Wouldn’t we still need to fashion an effort on goal at some point.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Login to get fewer ads

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 07:19 - Apr 30 with 1949 viewsSimonds92

Bit of a woerd thing to rant about they could have made their extra substitutions at half time. The current rules seem more than fair.
Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 07:19 - Apr 30 with 1946 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Bit of a silly rule but wouldn’t go as far as to say crazy, most of my football watching life they’d only have been able to make 3 subs anyway

Plus United only made 3 which is admittedly their choice, but it was 5-2 by the time they made their first at which point Roma had fresher legs given they had 3 players that only played part of the game

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 07:26 - Apr 30 with 1922 viewsGeoffSentence

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 07:19 - Apr 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Bit of a silly rule but wouldn’t go as far as to say crazy, most of my football watching life they’d only have been able to make 3 subs anyway

Plus United only made 3 which is admittedly their choice, but it was 5-2 by the time they made their first at which point Roma had fresher legs given they had 3 players that only played part of the game

I wouldn't even say it is a silly rule. It is designed to accomadate the extra 2 subs that they have brought in for covid, without causing any more interruptions to the game.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 10:12 - Apr 30 with 1638 viewsWickets

I think its a good rule if both teams where allowed 5 subs at five different times that could be 10 stoppages thats just silly as it could be 10 stoppages in the last half hour or if a team wanted to waste time they could arrange 5 stoppages in the last 10 minutes !!!
Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 10:33 - Apr 30 with 1573 viewsHullblue

I can see the logic but agree it affected the game to an unnecessary degree last night.

Simple solution would be to allow three stoppages in each half of normal time, surely?

Not many teams make tactical subs in the first half, so those slots would pretty much be reserved for injuries.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 10:47 - Apr 30 with 1538 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 01:15 - Apr 30 by BonchosBicycle

I'd go back to one sub on the bench and that's your lot. And numbers 1-11 with 12 the sub.

I predict in a decade from now clubs will be able to make 7 subs and they'll also be able to re-introduce players already subbed. It'll be like American football with all the chopping and changing.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 10:47 - Apr 30 with 1539 viewsrickw

As others have said it's to prevent timewasting
However it is very unusual to get 3 injuries in the first half, if this rule was going to continue post covid I'm sure it would be looked at to deal with this situation, but I doubt it will be

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 10:48 - Apr 30 with 1519 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 10:33 - Apr 30 by Hullblue

I can see the logic but agree it affected the game to an unnecessary degree last night.

Simple solution would be to allow three stoppages in each half of normal time, surely?

Not many teams make tactical subs in the first half, so those slots would pretty much be reserved for injuries.

How did affect the game though? As I posted above if the rule was still simply 3 subs the game could have played out exactly the same and no one would have batted an eyelid at the rule

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 11:29 - Apr 30 with 1459 viewsGuthrum

Under the old 3 subs rule they would have been equally stuck.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 13:43 - Apr 30 with 1329 viewsHullblue

Absolutely crazy UEFA rule... on 10:48 - Apr 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

How did affect the game though? As I posted above if the rule was still simply 3 subs the game could have played out exactly the same and no one would have batted an eyelid at the rule

Course, but they're allowed to make 5 subs at the moment because of the extra physical demands on the players, so only being able to make 3 placed them at a disadvantage. Especially given that they couldn't make any subs at all in the second half.

You could see they were knackered - and that was eventually reflected in the scoreline. Didn't seem quite fair, to me.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024