Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? 12:24 - May 1 with 4462 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

En route Wales for a few days and we were looking at hiking it on one of the afternoons. Worth doing?

If it’s any relevance, I’ve never done a hike before but used to do a lot of running and I’m relatively confident I wouldn’t fail to reach the top.

Edit - And just in case someone’s gonna moan because of covid (hopefully not).. my friend has been having a bad time of things lately mentally so I booked for us to go away as a surprise for her. Yes technically it’s not within the rules for Covid but, in the circumstances, it was necessary. That’s all.
[Post edited 1 May 2021 12:31]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 11:20 - May 3 with 821 viewsfooters

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 11:16 - May 3 by WeWereZombies

Looks useful, sign him up Cookie...

"With this Stephen Herrero you really are spoiling us, Mr Cook."

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 11:23 - May 3 with 820 viewsWeWereZombies

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 11:20 - May 3 by footers

"With this Stephen Herrero you really are spoiling us, Mr Cook."

Now we have the entirety of the Arizona Public Servant's pension fund we can go 4-4-2 with a front two of Herrero Rashford...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 21:50 - May 3 with 721 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 20:52 - May 2 by jeera

With no mountain rescue required nor a bear in sight!

Hope it did your friend the world of good too.

Nice one both of you.

The whole trip has done her the world of good - it really has. I’d have done anything really to not have to have her crying down the phone at 3am for a bit. Hopefully this has helped as much as we think.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Genuinely do appreciate it. A lot of it was taken on board (first time I’ve worn three pairs of socks at once along with 5 layers of top!). Didn’t have hiking boots admittedly. I have a few pictures on my Twitter which I can whack onto here too..

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 23:00 - May 3 with 692 viewsChurchman

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 12:43 - May 1 by Steve_M

Snowdon via the Llanberis path is fairly easy, still a reasonably big day out and you should allow more than an afternoon for it. Usual caveats about having suitable clothing - waterproofs, warm layers, hat & gloves - and footwear apply. You would probably also find that Snowdon itself is very busy, especially by that route.

https://www.visitwales.com/things-do/adventure-and-activities/walking/walking-sn

Any mountain is worth climbing but just bear in mind that it's a lot harder than merely walking the same distance on the flat. I doubt you would have an issue with fitness but a bit of thought beforehand would be necessary.

As above and be aware of the weather forecast. Weather can change quickly in the mountains. Good preparation: the key to staying safe and having fun.

While as a skier I’ve been to the Alps and Rockies for many years, I’ve only hiked up Snowdon a couple of times. Once the ‘easy way’ path described and once following a madman. If you’ve not done much of this sort of thing go with the path. I enjoyed it far more than the I need a change of trousers route.

It’s a beautiful part of the world. Enjoy!
Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 09:26 - May 5 with 602 viewsSaleAway

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 21:50 - May 3 by The_Romford_Blue

The whole trip has done her the world of good - it really has. I’d have done anything really to not have to have her crying down the phone at 3am for a bit. Hopefully this has helped as much as we think.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Genuinely do appreciate it. A lot of it was taken on board (first time I’ve worn three pairs of socks at once along with 5 layers of top!). Didn’t have hiking boots admittedly. I have a few pictures on my Twitter which I can whack onto here too..

Well done on not dieing - those shoes are ridiculous for going up a snowy mountain though.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 06:03 - May 7 with 519 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 09:26 - May 5 by SaleAway

Well done on not dieing - those shoes are ridiculous for going up a snowy mountain though.

Only just saw this - apologies. I do agree. Unfortunately the shoes I’d planned to wear had a hole in the toe so my last m8 Ute decision was to wear the only other pair I’d taken with me.

If it wasn’t a last minute trip, I would’ve definitely ordered hiking boots. With the success of this trip, we’ve decided on Ben Nevis in august so I’ll make sure to have the boots for that. We’ve a lot planned before then but no mountains so I’ve plenty of time to find the right boots for the job.

Thanks to everyone for their advice throughout. Much appreciate by both of us. From this thread, we decided on the Llanberis path which worked great.

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 07:30 - May 7 with 464 viewsm14_blue

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 06:03 - May 7 by The_Romford_Blue

Only just saw this - apologies. I do agree. Unfortunately the shoes I’d planned to wear had a hole in the toe so my last m8 Ute decision was to wear the only other pair I’d taken with me.

If it wasn’t a last minute trip, I would’ve definitely ordered hiking boots. With the success of this trip, we’ve decided on Ben Nevis in august so I’ll make sure to have the boots for that. We’ve a lot planned before then but no mountains so I’ve plenty of time to find the right boots for the job.

Thanks to everyone for their advice throughout. Much appreciate by both of us. From this thread, we decided on the Llanberis path which worked great.

Don’t even get me started on the choice of bag....

In all seriousness, nice one for getting up there Rommy and, far more importantly, for looking out for your mate.

Come to the Lake District some time, you’d love it.
Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 07:53 - May 7 with 453 viewsSteve_M

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 06:03 - May 7 by The_Romford_Blue

Re: boots. Go and get them fitted properly and be prepared to spend a reasonable amount on them, also socks buy some Smartwool or Bridgedale ones rather than wear normal ones.

Might be worth getting BMC Membership if you can get a student rate and then getting 15% discount in Cotswold Outdoors.

https://membership.thebmc.co.uk/

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 15:16 - May 7 with 418 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 07:53 - May 7 by Steve_M

Re: boots. Go and get them fitted properly and be prepared to spend a reasonable amount on them, also socks buy some Smartwool or Bridgedale ones rather than wear normal ones.

Might be worth getting BMC Membership if you can get a student rate and then getting 15% discount in Cotswold Outdoors.

https://membership.thebmc.co.uk/

Will look into thar over the summer. Cheers

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024