Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? 12:24 - May 1 with 4437 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

En route Wales for a few days and we were looking at hiking it on one of the afternoons. Worth doing?

If it’s any relevance, I’ve never done a hike before but used to do a lot of running and I’m relatively confident I wouldn’t fail to reach the top.

Edit - And just in case someone’s gonna moan because of covid (hopefully not).. my friend has been having a bad time of things lately mentally so I booked for us to go away as a surprise for her. Yes technically it’s not within the rules for Covid but, in the circumstances, it was necessary. That’s all.
[Post edited 1 May 2021 12:31]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 12:39 - May 1 with 2252 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I'll wait on the whoosh.
But, not sure I'd want to do Snowdon having never hiked before, in an afternoon.

It takes about 5/6 hours to reach the top and come back.
[Post edited 1 May 2021 12:41]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 12:40 - May 1 with 2244 viewsGeoffSentence

You will get to the top, it is easy. Loads of people of all types do it. You will see young kids doing it, old people doing it, people who are fit and those who are out of shape.

Dress appropriately and assume that it will be cold and damp at the top.

Because it will be.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 12:43 - May 1 with 2235 viewsSteve_M

Snowdon via the Llanberis path is fairly easy, still a reasonably big day out and you should allow more than an afternoon for it. Usual caveats about having suitable clothing - waterproofs, warm layers, hat & gloves - and footwear apply. You would probably also find that Snowdon itself is very busy, especially by that route.

https://www.visitwales.com/things-do/adventure-and-activities/walking/walking-sn

Any mountain is worth climbing but just bear in mind that it's a lot harder than merely walking the same distance on the flat. I doubt you would have an issue with fitness but a bit of thought beforehand would be necessary.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 12:43 - May 1 with 2237 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 12:40 - May 1 by GeoffSentence

You will get to the top, it is easy. Loads of people of all types do it. You will see young kids doing it, old people doing it, people who are fit and those who are out of shape.

Dress appropriately and assume that it will be cold and damp at the top.

Because it will be.

Some friends of mine got into big trouble doing the three peaks up there. Chose the wrong route, out of shape, then one fell and twisted an ankle.

All of them dressed inappropriately, was dark, wet and 10pm before they got taken off the mountain.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 12:52 - May 1 with 2198 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 12:43 - May 1 by Steve_M

Snowdon via the Llanberis path is fairly easy, still a reasonably big day out and you should allow more than an afternoon for it. Usual caveats about having suitable clothing - waterproofs, warm layers, hat & gloves - and footwear apply. You would probably also find that Snowdon itself is very busy, especially by that route.

https://www.visitwales.com/things-do/adventure-and-activities/walking/walking-sn

Any mountain is worth climbing but just bear in mind that it's a lot harder than merely walking the same distance on the flat. I doubt you would have an issue with fitness but a bit of thought beforehand would be necessary.

Thanks - though I hadn’t thought of hat and gloves tbh. I will have to buy some if we do.

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 12:52 - May 1 with 2181 viewschicoazul

Given to understand you won’t be allowed to call it Snowdon much longer

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 12:53 - May 1 with 2191 viewsTractorWood

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 12:43 - May 1 by Cheltenham_Blue

Some friends of mine got into big trouble doing the three peaks up there. Chose the wrong route, out of shape, then one fell and twisted an ankle.

All of them dressed inappropriately, was dark, wet and 10pm before they got taken off the mountain.

Scafell Pike is exposed and wild. It did it from Langdale which is a proper 21km 5 hour job. Granted it's much easier from Wasdale which is the traditional route. I'm an experienced fell runner and marathoner and found it a tough day in the hills.

Rommers - take a few light and waterproof layers. Take plenty of water and high carb snack bars. Download what3words as a failsafe. Wear decent hardy footwear and make sure they have decent ankle support. You'll have a great day.

However, underestimate the UK high peaks at your absolute peril.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 12:56 - May 1 with 2189 viewsWeWereZombies

Are you walking the path or using the train?

Seriously, as has been said, the trail up from Llanberis looks easy (I've only done it on the train) but will be the most crowded and you will not really be in wild country as you have a railway line next to you a lot of the time. Also , the cafeteria at the top is probably a bit restricted at the moment due to the pandemic.

The Watkin path (steep and tough) was also surprisingly busy when I did it - word of advice, do not take a thirteen year old son who is already taller than you, longer legs and bags more energy, with you. Punishing.

The first time I 'climbed' it was by the long route in from the west, there was a Youth Hostel (Rhyd Ddu) with Thomas de Quincey connections I started from and it was a quiet and delightful route with a great view of Angelsey. Long but, as a result, not as steep. Allow eight hours at least there and back if you try it.
[Post edited 1 May 2021 13:00]

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Login to get fewer ads

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 13:16 - May 1 with 2149 viewsITFC_Jenx

Doable, Llanberis the easiest path.

When I got to the top the wind was so strong I was nearly blown over. (I'm rugby build btw.)

Pack multiple warm layers, hat, gloves and good shoes and you'll be fine.
Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 13:28 - May 1 with 2131 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I did it years ago. It's amazing when you get above the clouds and look down on a sea of them.

You say you've never hiked, I'm guessing you don't have hiking boots then? That would be a mistake IMO. And you'll need a warm/waterproof coat.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 13:31 - May 1 with 2121 viewsfooters

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 13:28 - May 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

I did it years ago. It's amazing when you get above the clouds and look down on a sea of them.

You say you've never hiked, I'm guessing you don't have hiking boots then? That would be a mistake IMO. And you'll need a warm/waterproof coat.

And don't try to break the boots in by walking Snowdon! Your feet will thank you for it, Rommy :)

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 13:31 - May 1 with 2106 viewsGuthrum

Llanberis Path is less steep, but very much longer. I'd say go via the Pyg Track, starting at Pen-y-Pass Youth Hostel at the head of the Llanberis Pass. Much shorter, higher starting point (so less distance to climb) and basically just one really steep section. None of it is in any way technical climbing (or even scrambling - unless you go up Crib Goch by mistake), so there should be no difficulty as long as you're passably fit.

But take clothes to protect you from cold and wet, also water and some food. And be prepared for the mountain to be very busy - there was a massive queue last time I was up there (went up the Glyders instead).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 13:34 - May 1 with 2094 viewsGuthrum

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 12:52 - May 1 by chicoazul

Given to understand you won’t be allowed to call it Snowdon much longer

Yr Wyddfa

I presume you saw the Guardian article this morning? https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/30/snowdon-yr-wyddfa-language

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 13:39 - May 1 with 2079 viewsSteve_M

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 12:52 - May 1 by The_Romford_Blue

Thanks - though I hadn’t thought of hat and gloves tbh. I will have to buy some if we do.

Yes, worth having them even if you don't need them. I find that I cool down much more quickly on the hills than at sea level.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 14:51 - May 1 with 1930 viewspoppiesman

The most important thing to take is a decent pair of walking/hiking footwear. I wouldn't wear running shoes even if you feel most comfortable in them.
I walked up and down the LLanberis path a few years ago, got lucky with a nice sunny day, but even then it was quite windy at the top.
I found going up was the easy part, as coming down can be hard on the legs after a long climb.
Other things to take would be a warm and waterproof coat (even if forecast says no rain), plenty of food and drink, and a few plasters.
Ignore if anyone moans about Covid rules etc, I hope you both have a great time.
Good Luck!!
Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 14:56 - May 1 with 1914 viewsGeoffSentence

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 13:31 - May 1 by Guthrum

Llanberis Path is less steep, but very much longer. I'd say go via the Pyg Track, starting at Pen-y-Pass Youth Hostel at the head of the Llanberis Pass. Much shorter, higher starting point (so less distance to climb) and basically just one really steep section. None of it is in any way technical climbing (or even scrambling - unless you go up Crib Goch by mistake), so there should be no difficulty as long as you're passably fit.

But take clothes to protect you from cold and wet, also water and some food. And be prepared for the mountain to be very busy - there was a massive queue last time I was up there (went up the Glyders instead).

Tht was the way I did it and it was really straightforward, up the pyg, down the miners path.

Agreed on all the other stuf too, it is a very busy and very damp hill.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 14:59 - May 1 with 1908 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's ace. We used to run the horseshoe after work when I lived up there. I wouldn't recommend that unless you know what you're doing though (Cribb Coch that is - the ridge to the north east).

For a straight up and down, Llanberis is slog. I prefer the Miners Track starting from Pen y Pass, but parking at Pen y Pass can be a right pain in the arris. It's easily doable if you're fit. The weather is the issue - keep an eye out on the forecast. I wouldn't go up for your first time is it's a bad forecast.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 14:59 - May 1 with 1909 viewsCotty

I first did it when I was 5. You’ll be fine.
Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 21:38 - May 1 with 1840 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Thanks all - tomorrow is the day for the hike we’ve decided. Spent today on the pier and the beach.

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 22:38 - May 1 with 1787 viewsDeano69

There are routes for different levels of capability (there’s even a train on one route).

Very nice cafe at the top, monster sized pasty a real treat.

Worth being prepared for every type of weather. We went in august a few years back and experienced absolutely every form of weather in the few hours we were ascending/descending. We actually saw people trying to shelter from sideways rain and hail wearing just T-shirt’s and flip flops.

Amazing views and loved the whole experience.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 22:44 - May 1 with 1773 viewsSpruceMoose

Once you've got Snowdon under your belt Rommers you're welcome to join me on the Appalachian Trail anytime! I'll bring the bear spray, you bring the banjo.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 23:39 - May 1 with 1738 viewsSarge

I went up via the miners path and down via Llanberis - both were very easy. It’s easily a couple hours each way though and the summit was very busy when I went although visibility was 0.
Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 23:46 - May 1 with 1729 viewsChe

If going up in May assume it's January February up top. Early start preferred make sure you have a decent breakfast and take drink with you and food. Good sturdy boots preferred wear layers of clothing shorts good to walk in but have warm trousers to put on but not jeans they offer poor protection especially when wet. Hat and gloves and waterproof clothing. are essential and check the weather forecast before you set off, as I said you might get to the top to be greeted with very cold windy, wet (possible snow) weather.
Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 00:17 - May 2 with 1714 viewsZXBlue

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 14:51 - May 1 by poppiesman

The most important thing to take is a decent pair of walking/hiking footwear. I wouldn't wear running shoes even if you feel most comfortable in them.
I walked up and down the LLanberis path a few years ago, got lucky with a nice sunny day, but even then it was quite windy at the top.
I found going up was the easy part, as coming down can be hard on the legs after a long climb.
Other things to take would be a warm and waterproof coat (even if forecast says no rain), plenty of food and drink, and a few plasters.
Ignore if anyone moans about Covid rules etc, I hope you both have a great time.
Good Luck!!

Layers. Not cotton. Waterproofs. Proper gear, food, water.
Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 01:04 - May 2 with 1681 viewsBLUEBEAT

When you get to the top, can you bring Harrop’s football back...?

Poll: W or W

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024