Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? 12:24 - May 1 with 4464 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

En route Wales for a few days and we were looking at hiking it on one of the afternoons. Worth doing?

If it’s any relevance, I’ve never done a hike before but used to do a lot of running and I’m relatively confident I wouldn’t fail to reach the top.

Edit - And just in case someone’s gonna moan because of covid (hopefully not).. my friend has been having a bad time of things lately mentally so I booked for us to go away as a surprise for her. Yes technically it’s not within the rules for Covid but, in the circumstances, it was necessary. That’s all.
[Post edited 1 May 2021 12:31]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 08:34 - May 2 with 1329 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 22:44 - May 1 by SpruceMoose

Once you've got Snowdon under your belt Rommers you're welcome to join me on the Appalachian Trail anytime! I'll bring the bear spray, you bring the banjo.

I'm actually planning that trip right now for March 2023.
Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 09:25 - May 2 with 1284 viewsPlums

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 13:28 - May 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

I did it years ago. It's amazing when you get above the clouds and look down on a sea of them.

You say you've never hiked, I'm guessing you don't have hiking boots then? That would be a mistake IMO. And you'll need a warm/waterproof coat.

I’ve been up there at least five times and never seen anything from the top! Now Nevis, that was awesome, a sea of cloud with Munro islands dotted around.

Take care on Snowdon, I’ve met a few idiots on the way up and down and passing the Mountain Rescue team in the car park as you leave is never a nice feeling.

Up the Miners and down the Pyg for me, with a wistful look at the legendary Cenotaph Corner (for those who know their climbing) as you leave.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 10:09 - May 2 with 1264 viewsdaisyisabaddog

I've been up there several times. I think the most enjoyable path up is the miners track. Whichever way you go make sure you get there early as parking can be a problem. If you get to the top and it's a clear day you will be very lucky. Post photos on here if there is any sort of view as I've only ever seen cloud!
Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 12:36 - May 2 with 1240 viewsBlueForYou

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 13:31 - May 1 by Guthrum

Llanberis Path is less steep, but very much longer. I'd say go via the Pyg Track, starting at Pen-y-Pass Youth Hostel at the head of the Llanberis Pass. Much shorter, higher starting point (so less distance to climb) and basically just one really steep section. None of it is in any way technical climbing (or even scrambling - unless you go up Crib Goch by mistake), so there should be no difficulty as long as you're passably fit.

But take clothes to protect you from cold and wet, also water and some food. And be prepared for the mountain to be very busy - there was a massive queue last time I was up there (went up the Glyders instead).

Did this as part of the Welsh 3000 a few years ago. Memory has faded, but we started at Pen Y Pass, by the youth hostel. The weather was foul, so windy that it blew a portaloo across the car park! We started but had to abandon. Tried again the next day & was OK, went up via the Miners Track I think, the one that traverses higher up (Crib Goch was still too dangerous). If you want a challenge try Tryfan. Personally having been back a couple of times since I like the climb up Y Garn from Ogwen Cottage. The 3000 is tough, but day two along the Carnedds is easier than day one. Everytime I've been up there its been bloody windy & cold. Need a good rucksack, warm gear & a flask. Its fantastic though, but I doubt I could manage it these days.
[Post edited 2 May 2021 12:38]
Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 14:30 - May 2 with 1212 viewsSpruceMoose

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 08:34 - May 2 by DropCliffsNotBombs

The whole thing? You'd better set aside most of 2023!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 14:32 - May 2 with 1211 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 14:30 - May 2 by SpruceMoose

The whole thing? You'd better set aside most of 2023!

Other half has already requested and been granted her 6 month sabbatical to thru-hike the trail NOBO.
Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 15:48 - May 2 with 1178 viewsSpruceMoose

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 14:32 - May 2 by DropCliffsNotBombs

Other half has already requested and been granted her 6 month sabbatical to thru-hike the trail NOBO.

Nice! That'll be awesome.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 15:54 - May 2 with 1171 viewsjeera

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 22:44 - May 1 by SpruceMoose

Once you've got Snowdon under your belt Rommers you're welcome to join me on the Appalachian Trail anytime! I'll bring the bear spray, you bring the banjo.

It's my understanding you'd have more joy scaring the bear off with the banjo playing than with the mace.

I was once informed by a Canadian tree planter that most people deploy the mace in panic and usually forget to check the wind direction.

The noise of a banjo however, might have at least some effect as bears have sensitive ears.

Hope that's of some use.
[Post edited 2 May 2021 15:56]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 16:00 - May 2 with 1162 viewsSpruceMoose

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 15:54 - May 2 by jeera

It's my understanding you'd have more joy scaring the bear off with the banjo playing than with the mace.

I was once informed by a Canadian tree planter that most people deploy the mace in panic and usually forget to check the wind direction.

The noise of a banjo however, might have at least some effect as bears have sensitive ears.

Hope that's of some use.
[Post edited 2 May 2021 15:56]

A Moose's guide to bears.

Black - Fight back.
Brown - Lay down
White - good night.

A banjo would never hurt though. The mace is to spray your hiking companion so you can get away and leave the bear some lunch.

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 16:03 - May 2 with 1158 viewsjeera

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 16:00 - May 2 by SpruceMoose

Black - Fight back.
Brown - Lay down
White - good night.

A banjo would never hurt though. The mace is to spray your hiking companion so you can get away and leave the bear some lunch.

Black bear - Make lots of noise, preferably pack a couple of steel pans to clash together.

Brown - I've seen The Revenant; sod that.

White - I've seen Fargo.

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 16:26 - May 2 with 1142 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 16:00 - May 2 by SpruceMoose

Black - Fight back.
Brown - Lay down
White - good night.

Black - sh#t yourself and die
Brown - sh#t yourself and die
White - sh#t yourself and die

Am looking forward to it.
Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 17:26 - May 2 with 1111 viewsfactual_blue

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 16:03 - May 2 by jeera

Black bear - Make lots of noise, preferably pack a couple of steel pans to clash together.

Brown - I've seen The Revenant; sod that.

White - I've seen Fargo.

In Canada they say that you can tell which sort of bear is chasing you by climbing a tree to escape.

If you're being chased by a black bear, it will climb the tree after you.

If it's a brown bear, it will push the tree over.

A further recommendation

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear poo so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear poo.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 17:30 - May 2 with 1106 viewsbluelagos

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 08:34 - May 2 by DropCliffsNotBombs

You looked at Visa options? 3 months not quite long enough for a through hike (unless you are mega fit)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 18:52 - May 2 with 1090 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 17:30 - May 2 by bluelagos

You looked at Visa options? 3 months not quite long enough for a through hike (unless you are mega fit)

Need to go to Ametican embassy to request a B1/B2 visa which extends up to 6 months. However, am hearing horror stories of people getting turned away at immigration control when they get there even with the 6 month visa, so getting advice on preparing a persuasive pleading statement to border control if required.

Any insider info very gratefully received!
Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 19:03 - May 2 with 1084 viewsbluelagos

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 18:52 - May 2 by DropCliffsNotBombs

Need to go to Ametican embassy to request a B1/B2 visa which extends up to 6 months. However, am hearing horror stories of people getting turned away at immigration control when they get there even with the 6 month visa, so getting advice on preparing a persuasive pleading statement to border control if required.

No insider info. When I looked at it I was thinking Washington was about half way, so fly to Canada for a few days (Or Colombia if you need to be more than 1 border away) and then carry on. An Esta lasts 2 years and you can visit more than once.

Or just overstay, given the likelihood of immigration checks in a mountain range are fairly low. When I googled it said overstaying less than 3 months wouldnt have any serious implications, longer would*

*Obviously things change / this is higher risk than getting a 6 month Visa.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 19:12 - May 2 with 1068 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 19:03 - May 2 by bluelagos

No insider info. When I looked at it I was thinking Washington was about half way, so fly to Canada for a few days (Or Colombia if you need to be more than 1 border away) and then carry on. An Esta lasts 2 years and you can visit more than once.

Or just overstay, given the likelihood of immigration checks in a mountain range are fairly low. When I googled it said overstaying less than 3 months wouldnt have any serious implications, longer would*

*Obviously things change / this is higher risk than getting a 6 month Visa.

Cheers, going 2023 rather than next year buys us a bit of time to get things sorted so fingers crosses will get sorted ok. Will let you know.

Apologies Rommy for derailing your Snowdon thread. Hope your climb goes well and we don't see you getting winched off the mountain on the evening news.
Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 19:18 - May 2 with 1062 viewsRadlett_blue

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 12:52 - May 1 by chicoazul

Given to understand you won’t be allowed to call it Snowdon much longer

Yes, it's going to be renamed "Armstrong-Jones".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 19:50 - May 2 with 1049 viewsSpruceMoose

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 18:52 - May 2 by DropCliffsNotBombs

Any evidence you can take that proves your ties to the UK. B1 visa is ripe for exploitation so anything that shows you intend to leave after six months. Mortgage, job contract, car/other property etc.

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 19:56 - May 2 with 1044 viewsGeoffSentence

Black - Fight back.
Brown - Lay down
White - good night.

I bought this a cuppla months back

Honestly not going to be much help on Yr Widdfa, but a jolly good read nevertheless.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 20:01 - May 2 with 1042 viewsjeera

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 19:56 - May 2 by GeoffSentence

Honestly not going to be much help on Yr Widdfa, but a jolly good read nevertheless.

Do the bears even read that?

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 20:02 - May 2 with 1031 viewsGeoffSentence

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 20:01 - May 2 by jeera

Do the bears even read that?

I hope not, don't want the feckers second guessing us.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 20:42 - May 2 with 1007 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Mount Snowdon - completed it mate!

(In a suprise snowstorm for the majority of the duration of the trip)

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 20:52 - May 2 with 990 viewsjeera

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 20:42 - May 2 by The_Romford_Blue

Mount Snowdon - completed it mate!

(In a suprise snowstorm for the majority of the duration of the trip)

With no mountain rescue required nor a bear in sight!

Hope it did your friend the world of good too.

Nice one both of you.

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 11:11 - May 3 with 900 viewsMJallday

I’m currently writing this from my place in Pembrokeshire

Welsh weather changes very quickly. Be prepared for that. Decent walking shoes and waterproof and warm clothing are a must. You might not need them at the bottom but at the top you’ll be freezing your nuts off.
Take a phone and also an eta to someone not connected to your party. As long as you stick
To the main routes you’ll be fine but it’s easy to go
Off piste too. I always take a backpack with water, a flask and chocolate bars, but that’s just me . There is a cafe up the top but I haven’t been for a while so
Can’t say what it’s like these days

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 11:16 - May 3 with 895 viewsWeWereZombies

Snowdonia - anyone hiked the big mountain (Snowdon?) there? on 19:56 - May 2 by GeoffSentence

Looks useful, sign him up Cookie...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024