Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just how mediocre is League 1 10:30 - May 2 with 3417 viewsPinewoodblue

Win our game in hand Tuesday and despite our recent dreadful performances we go into last game of the season just four points outside a play off place.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 10:32 - May 2 with 2823 viewsHerbivore

It's a terrible league. Our inability to get out of it in two attempts should be a source of shame for all involved.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 10:33 - May 2 with 2813 viewsBlueBadger

This is the maddening thing about this, and last season. We had the edge in quality to comfortably get out of this division last season.

And it was spaffed away by not bothering to get the players fit, motivated, organised or coached into any kind of system.

It's turned what could have been a simple 'rescue' into a full on rebuild.

And that's why Lambert was our worst manager ever.
[Post edited 2 May 2021 10:35]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 10:34 - May 2 with 2813 viewsleftback

Indeed, that’s why I don’t understand people saying we need to patient if Cook is bringing in 7/8 new players into the team....... it wouldn’t take much improvement on the awful season we have had to make the playoffs
Just how mediocre is League 1 on 10:36 - May 2 with 2793 viewsBlueBadger

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 10:34 - May 2 by leftback

Indeed, that’s why I don’t understand people saying we need to patient if Cook is bringing in 7/8 new players into the team....... it wouldn’t take much improvement on the awful season we have had to make the playoffs

As I said below. Actually just bothering with some simple basics like coaching, motivation, fitness and orgnisation would have been enough.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 10:42 - May 2 with 2746 viewsKeno

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 10:36 - May 2 by BlueBadger

As I said below. Actually just bothering with some simple basics like coaching, motivation, fitness and orgnisation would have been enough.

Its as tho the manager and the player just thought if they turned up they'd win and forget you actually have to play the opposition

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 10:49 - May 2 with 2713 viewsjayessess

I'm never sure why people think it necessarily follows that "the league is tight and therefore it is bad". It could just as easily be the reverse, couldn't it? There are a lot of well-drilled, athletic teams with enough quality to take points off the bigger clubs so the top 6 have stayed within reach. AFC Wimbledon for example.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 10:50 - May 2 with 2702 viewsHerbivore

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 10:49 - May 2 by jayessess

I'm never sure why people think it necessarily follows that "the league is tight and therefore it is bad". It could just as easily be the reverse, couldn't it? There are a lot of well-drilled, athletic teams with enough quality to take points off the bigger clubs so the top 6 have stayed within reach. AFC Wimbledon for example.

The quality is dreadful.

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 10:56 - May 2 with 2668 viewsBlueBadger

We've been top half, nay, top six nearly all season despite being demonstrably awful pretty much all season. It's a piss-poor league.

Login to get fewer ads

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 11:01 - May 2 with 2638 viewsHerbivore

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 10:56 - May 2 by BlueBadger

We've been top half, nay, top six nearly all season despite being demonstrably awful pretty much all season. It's a piss-poor league.

In 2 years I'm struggling to recall many decent games of football I've seen at this level either live or on TV. It's really poor. The gulf to the Championship is huge.

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 11:02 - May 2 with 2638 viewshaynes_toe1

Its probably why I'm so frustrated with the games since Cook came in because it was a real opportunity still with just a slightly better PPG return. We didnt need to blow teams away just show that little bit of quality.

Of course its not all down to Cook but nonetheless its been wasted by all. Next season could be tougher.
Just how mediocre is League 1 on 11:16 - May 2 with 2586 viewsWD19

The league is tight because the bottom 6 teams are absolute pap and a free hit for all the other sides in the division.

.....and we have managed to drop 17 (SEVENTEEN) points against them.
Just how mediocre is League 1 on 12:08 - May 2 with 2447 viewsElephantintheRoom

That is just the delusion of the play-offs - 6th is upper mid-table and at least ten clubs are 'in touch with the play offs until suddently with two games to go they aren't.

Having said that the standard isn't that good because clubs cannot afford the players - and next season looks set to be even worse.

The travails of clubs like Rotherham - and until their sudden transformation, Barnsley, lead you to believe that the gap between the third and second division is almost as great as the gap between the second division and Prem.

All of which begs the question - just how bad have Town become on their decade-long drift

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 12:11 - May 2 with 2426 viewsPowrigan

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 10:33 - May 2 by BlueBadger

This is the maddening thing about this, and last season. We had the edge in quality to comfortably get out of this division last season.

And it was spaffed away by not bothering to get the players fit, motivated, organised or coached into any kind of system.

Could be a blessing in the long run, as it hopefully means not holding on to too many of the deadwood.
Just how mediocre is League 1 on 12:22 - May 2 with 2388 views66notout

I’m not going to argue about Lambert but his points per game stats are better than Cook’s and if repeated over 46 games we would probably be in the play-offs.
Just how mediocre is League 1 on 12:29 - May 2 with 2364 viewsWD19

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 12:22 - May 2 by 66notout

I’m not going to argue about Lambert but his points per game stats are better than Cook’s and if repeated over 46 games we would probably be in the play-offs.

He was particularly good in that spell when he didn't bother turning up and left it to Gill.

If he had done that all year we would be going up as champions......

To be honest, I can forgive a lot of things, but the one thing I cannot forgive this group of players for is that fact their behaviour has made me (almost) feel sorry for Lambert at times.

Then I remember that he is responsible for what we now have.
Just how mediocre is League 1 on 12:39 - May 2 with 2334 viewsBlueBadger

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 12:29 - May 2 by WD19

He was particularly good in that spell when he didn't bother turning up and left it to Gill.

If he had done that all year we would be going up as champions......

To be honest, I can forgive a lot of things, but the one thing I cannot forgive this group of players for is that fact their behaviour has made me (almost) feel sorry for Lambert at times.

Then I remember that he is responsible for what we now have.

Oh absolutely. The culture of 'we go again' and 'free hits' is largely down to him.

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 12:51 - May 2 with 2284 viewsbournemouthblue

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 11:01 - May 2 by Herbivore

In 2 years I'm struggling to recall many decent games of football I've seen at this level either live or on TV. It's really poor. The gulf to the Championship is huge.

That's because we feature in them but it's definitely a poor league

The amount of games, you see where the opposition get given a couple of good chances and the totally waste them

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 12:55 - May 2 with 2261 viewsDarth_Koont

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 10:32 - May 2 by Herbivore

It's a terrible league. Our inability to get out of it in two attempts should be a source of shame for all involved.

Agree overall. But I don’t think it’s a terrible league – just third-tier football.

What is terrrible is that we’ve had better resources and on paper better players but we’ve been given a lesson in team-building by our rivals. Since Hurst “re-built” us we’ve not had a functioning team, which means three years and an awful lot of credit with the fans utterly wasted.

I don’t want to be a doom-sayer for the sake of it, and I’m an optimist by nature believing that change is always possible, but there are plenty of examples of clubs who don’t get back to what they once were for decades, perhaps ever.

I think we need a change in fortune quite quickly or we could easily become a League One side with occasional visits to the Championship.

Pronouns: He/Him

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 13:15 - May 2 with 2207 viewssouthnorfolkblue

It was never going to be a simple rescue. I think that some people underestimate just how poor we were when we got relegated. A massive reset was always required, but the funds weren’t there to make it happen

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 13:44 - May 2 with 2122 viewsRyorry

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 13:15 - May 2 by southnorfolkblue

It was never going to be a simple rescue. I think that some people underestimate just how poor we were when we got relegated. A massive reset was always required, but the funds weren’t there to make it happen

Exactly. Have never understood the mentality of "it's a poor league therefore we should be able to go up immediately, or almost immediately."

We're in it because we were relegated due to being p1ss poor, still are p1ss poor, with many p1ss poor players who weren't properly coached, nor receiving decent medical attention. We don't have the right to somehow go up because we *used* to be good & have a wonderful history. Some people (not necessarily on this thread) seem to be moaning about this, when it's actually exactly what they've previously castigated fans of other clubs for ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 17:24 - May 2 with 1894 viewsHerbivore

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 13:15 - May 2 by southnorfolkblue

Disagree. Rotherham went down two years prior to us with fewer points and came straight back up. When we went down we didn't lose players like Downes, and Lambert was backed to outbid Championship sides to get Norwood and the money he spent on KVY would be a club record fee for many sides at this level. We really should have got out of this league by now.

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 17:36 - May 2 with 1856 viewssolemio

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 10:32 - May 2 by Herbivore

I didn't realise that you consider it to be a poor league. Why didn't you say so before?
Just how mediocre is League 1 on 18:23 - May 2 with 1755 viewsBlueBadger

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 17:36 - May 2 by solemio

I didn't realise that you consider it to be a poor league. Why didn't you say so before?

bOrIs Is DoInG hIs BeSt

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 18:28 - May 2 with 1743 viewschrismakin

I'm still amazed you can lose 10 games and win the league

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 19:11 - May 2 with 1660 viewsHerbivore

Just how mediocre is League 1 on 17:36 - May 2 by solemio

Great contribution, amongst your best yet.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024