Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Snooker 15:59 - May 2 with 3337 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Not seen much comment on here over the last 2 weeks, looks like we'll teed up final so far during the 1st session, no one else been watching?
[Post edited 2 May 2021 16:02]

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Snooker on 17:01 - May 2 with 1737 viewsMerseyBlue

I normally watch as much of it as I can but lost a lot of interest by the time we got to the semi-finals this year. Not particularly keen on any of the players that made it that far so haven't bothered.

It's not just Ronnie that I like to watch. Higgins, Williams and Robertson, even Ding I enjoy but I just can't get myself excited about Selby or Murphy.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Snooker on 17:05 - May 2 with 1725 viewsRomeo4

I’m all over it and have been for the whole 2 weeks. Love it. Find it really addictive and therapeutic to watch.

I thought this was going to be Kyren Wilson’s year but he found Murphy playing out of his skin.

Fancy Selby to win the final unless Murphy can sustain his level for a couple more sessions.
Snooker on 17:28 - May 2 with 1677 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Snooker on 17:01 - May 2 by MerseyBlue

I normally watch as much of it as I can but lost a lot of interest by the time we got to the semi-finals this year. Not particularly keen on any of the players that made it that far so haven't bothered.

It's not just Ronnie that I like to watch. Higgins, Williams and Robertson, even Ding I enjoy but I just can't get myself excited about Selby or Murphy.

I'm a big fan of both, but I understand why people cant take to either.

Murphy has a superb action, great single ball potter and shot make who at his best really is up there at the top of the game for me,

Selby on the other hand is a great break builder but I love his safety game, I get how people find it frustrating to watch but his abilty to both lay and get out of challenging snooker doesnt get the recognition I think it should , I also like the mental fortitude he hasto grind out results.

I don't care who wins this, just hope it's a great final and for me I'm happy for anyone to win that isn't Judd

Snooker on 17:31 - May 2 with 1664 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Snooker on 17:05 - May 2 by Romeo4

I’m all over it and have been for the whole 2 weeks. Love it. Find it really addictive and therapeutic to watch.

I thought this was going to be Kyren Wilson’s year but he found Murphy playing out of his skin.

Fancy Selby to win the final unless Murphy can sustain his level for a couple more sessions.

Agree, Selby is the type of player that Murphy struggles against and I think the clash of styles makes for a great final.

If Murphy can keep his long game up for the next 3 sessions maybe he can get there.

Line of duty will take me out for an hr but other than that snooker all bank holiday

Snooker on 18:06 - May 2 with 1607 viewsRomeo4

Snooker on 17:31 - May 2 by BlueandTruesince82

Agree, Selby is the type of player that Murphy struggles against and I think the clash of styles makes for a great final.

If Murphy can keep his long game up for the next 3 sessions maybe he can get there.

Line of duty will take me out for an hr but other than that snooker all bank holiday

Yes LOD has to be done but other than that it will be snooker all the way for me. Almost glad the weather’s no better so don’t feel so guilty about sitting on the sofa all day!!

I’ve nothing against Murphy but I’m a bit of a Selby fan so would prefer him to win. Glad that Trump and Higgins have not made it. Not a fan of either.
Snooker on 18:24 - May 2 with 1586 viewsYallop

Selbys married to an Ipswich girl so it's nice to see him do well
Snooker on 18:52 - May 2 with 1546 viewsStokieBlue

Snooker on 17:28 - May 2 by BlueandTruesince82

Murphy has a superb action, great single ball potter and shot make who at his best really is up there at the top of the game for me,

Selby on the other hand is a great break builder but I love his safety game, I get how people find it frustrating to watch but his abilty to both lay and get out of challenging snooker doesnt get the recognition I think it should , I also like the mental fortitude he hasto grind out results.

I don't care who wins this, just hope it's a great final and for me I'm happy for anyone to win that isn't Judd

Selby is awful. Clearly talented but just uses gamesmanship all the time.

He was warned for slow play last night and was deliberately taking 3 or 4 minutes on simple shots in order to stop the flow and make the final frames be played after a break. He does it to O'Sullivan all the time as well.

Horrible player.

I do miss playing snooker though, not played in a long time since my vision got worse.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Snooker on 19:04 - May 2 with 1524 viewsjas0999

Selby took three minutes yesterday to roll the cue ball into the reds. The man is disrespectful. Slow and boring. I personally won’t be watching this.
Login to get fewer ads

Snooker on 19:24 - May 2 with 1496 viewsRadlett_blue

Snooker on 18:52 - May 2 by StokieBlue

Selby is awful. Clearly talented but just uses gamesmanship all the time.

He was warned for slow play last night and was deliberately taking 3 or 4 minutes on simple shots in order to stop the flow and make the final frames be played after a break. He does it to O'Sullivan all the time as well.

Horrible player.

I do miss playing snooker though, not played in a long time since my vision got worse.

SB

Indeed, Selby is a huge argument in favour of a shot clock in snooker, although the danger would be that any imposed maximum time would then become a minimum to the likes of Selby. Sportsmen need to be aware that if they make their sport so boring, no-one will want to watch it.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Snooker on 19:25 - May 2 with 1495 viewsMerseyBlue

Snooker on 17:28 - May 2 by BlueandTruesince82

Yeah I can absolutely appreciate them and the way they play and as the above poster said, it can be incredibly therapeutic just sinking into a snooker match.

I suppose I've just been a bit busier these last couple of weeks and it has slipped down the priorities.

On your last point, absolutely agree with that - whilst I can't get too excited about the finalists, I can't abide Trump at all.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Snooker on 21:46 - May 2 with 1433 viewsThe_Last_Baron

I'd watch the final if it involved Ronnie, Trump or Robertson.

I might watch the latter frames tomorrow but Selby v Murphy is a turn-off. Selby must be the most boring snooker player to win the World title, makes memories of Terry Griffiths exciting. Which is a shame as he is a great tactician and break builder.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Snooker on 01:22 - May 3 with 1369 viewsbluewhite

Snooker on 21:46 - May 2 by The_Last_Baron

I'd watch the final if it involved Ronnie, Trump or Robertson.

I might watch the latter frames tomorrow but Selby v Murphy is a turn-off. Selby must be the most boring snooker player to win the World title, makes memories of Terry Griffiths exciting. Which is a shame as he is a great tactician and break builder.

"Selby must be the most boring snooker player to win the World title"

... I give you Peter Ebdon. And Graeme Dott.

When these two grinders met in the 2006 final match, they set the record for the latest finish in a Crucible final, finishing just before 1:00am. By which time a fair proportion of the audience had either dozed off, or quietly snuck out; and the commentating team were resorting to increasingly sarcastic remarks.
[Post edited 3 May 2021 1:25]
Snooker on 07:46 - May 3 with 1288 viewsStokieBlue

Snooker on 01:22 - May 3 by bluewhite

"Selby must be the most boring snooker player to win the World title"

... I give you Peter Ebdon. And Graeme Dott.

When these two grinders met in the 2006 final match, they set the record for the latest finish in a Crucible final, finishing just before 1:00am. By which time a fair proportion of the audience had either dozed off, or quietly snuck out; and the commentating team were resorting to increasingly sarcastic remarks.
[Post edited 3 May 2021 1:25]

Selby is no different.

He played anti-snooker last night, very effective of course but dull.

Not been warned by the ref this match yet but surely only a matter of time.

SB

Snooker on 08:16 - May 3 with 1259 viewsChrisd

Selby doing what he does best, still believes the win is possible even when he’s down by a few frames. His mental attitude has got to be the toughest in modern snooker? Murphy has played some great snooker to reach this final, but I can’t see Selby losing this, now he’s got himself in front. He’s the best player in the modern game IMO, I can see him beating Hendry’s World Championship titles record by the time he retires.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Snooker on 08:21 - May 3 with 1250 viewsStokieBlue

Snooker on 08:16 - May 3 by Chrisd

Selby doing what he does best, still believes the win is possible even when he’s down by a few frames. His mental attitude has got to be the toughest in modern snooker? Murphy has played some great snooker to reach this final, but I can’t see Selby losing this, now he’s got himself in front. He’s the best player in the modern game IMO, I can see him beating Hendry’s World Championship titles record by the time he retires.

That stats don't back up that he's the best player, he's been poor for a couple of years.

His gamesmanship these two weeks has been awful. Being warned by the ref in snooker is almost unheard of.

SB

Snooker on 08:22 - May 3 with 1249 viewsRomeo4

Snooker on 07:46 - May 3 by StokieBlue

Selby is no different.

He played anti-snooker last night, very effective of course but dull.

Not been warned by the ref this match yet but surely only a matter of time.

SB

Free flowing it certainly isn’t but I for one can be entertained by the hard, tactical side of the game that Selby excels at.

Definitely a clash of styles but certainly not anti-snooker. Selby just got on top of Murphy and suffocated his natural game. Can’t blame him for doing that as there’s a world title up for grabs and it’s proving effective.
Snooker on 08:29 - May 3 with 1237 viewsChrisd

Snooker on 08:21 - May 3 by StokieBlue

That stats don't back up that he's the best player, he's been poor for a couple of years.

His gamesmanship these two weeks has been awful. Being warned by the ref in snooker is almost unheard of.

SB

That’s part and parcel of his game, whether you like his style or not. Didn’t Steve Davis use gamesmanship with his slow play during his era? Selby’s World titles speak for themselves, he’ll be adding another one to that collection today. You might not like his style of play and he’s not as exciting as a Judd, O’Sullivan or Robertson, but it’s hard to disagree that he’s not got the best all round game out there. If you needed someone to win a match for you when it really matters, Selby would be my pick every time.

Snooker on 08:32 - May 3 with 1231 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Snooker on 08:16 - May 3 by Chrisd

Agree, his mentality is very tough and he never gives up. He beat Ronnie in the final a few years back when he looked beaten. Reminds me of Novak Djokovic in tennis, another man who fights to the end and wins many matches he should lose, especially against Andy Murray.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Snooker on 08:40 - May 3 with 1213 viewsChrisd

Snooker on 08:32 - May 3 by The_Last_Baron

Agree, his mentality is very tough and he never gives up. He beat Ronnie in the final a few years back when he looked beaten. Reminds me of Novak Djokovic in tennis, another man who fights to the end and wins many matches he should lose, especially against Andy Murray.

That’s a really good comparison Last Baron. I really respect that side of both their games. Having that right mental approach is so crucial in sport, more so than ability in my opinion. You might have ability, but if you lack that right mental application it counts for nothing. I wouldn’t choose to watch Selby by choice as there are more flamboyant snooker players out there, but I like how he just never gives up even when the odds are stacked against him. Very similar to Djokovic, which you alluded to, I just admire that, those type of characters just find a way.
[Post edited 3 May 2021 8:42]

Snooker on 08:47 - May 3 with 1186 viewsStokieBlue

Snooker on 08:29 - May 3 by Chrisd

That’s part and parcel of his game, whether you like his style or not. Didn’t Steve Davis use gamesmanship with his slow play during his era? Selby’s World titles speak for themselves, he’ll be adding another one to that collection today. You might not like his style of play and he’s not as exciting as a Judd, O’Sullivan or Robertson, but it’s hard to disagree that he’s not got the best all round game out there. If you needed someone to win a match for you when it really matters, Selby would be my pick every time.

I don't think Davis deliberately slowed the game to ensure it went into a split final session because the time ran out. Davis played good defensive snooker, he didn't stand there thinking for 4 minutes then roll the ball a few inches into the pack. It's totally different.

Why is it hard to disagree he has the best all-round game? As I just said and which you totally ignored, the stats just don't back it up - he's been nowhere the last 3 or 4 years.

He's a good player of course, he's just totally negative and I suspect a turn-off to most as this thread has highlighted.

SB
[Post edited 3 May 2021 8:57]

Snooker on 08:53 - May 3 with 1176 viewsStokieBlue

Snooker on 08:32 - May 3 by The_Last_Baron

Not always though, he was winning 16-14 in the semis last year against O'Sullivan and lost 16-17 when O'Sullivan annoyed him by playing random shots.

SB

Snooker on 08:55 - May 3 with 1173 viewsChrisd

Snooker on 08:47 - May 3 by StokieBlue

I don't think Davis deliberately slowed the game to ensure it went into a split final session because the time ran out. Davis played good defensive snooker, he didn't stand there thinking for 4 minutes then roll the ball a few inches into the pack. It's totally different.

Why is it hard to disagree he has the best all-round game? As I just said and which you totally ignored, the stats just don't back it up - he's been nowhere the last 3 or 4 years.

He's a good player of course, he's just totally negative and I suspect a turn-off to most as this thread has highlighted.

SB
[Post edited 3 May 2021 8:57]

You’re giving your view, I’m giving mine. Am I really disagreeing? No. I don’t have to agree with you either and you likewise. I appreciate Selby is a bit like marmite and you like him or you don’t and obviously we are in those opposing camps. Selby is currently ranked 4th in the world and he’ll be higher than that after this tournament, so if he’s been poor for a couple years, I’d take that.

Snooker on 08:59 - May 3 with 1167 viewsChrisd

Snooker on 08:53 - May 3 by StokieBlue

Not always though, he was winning 16-14 in the semis last year against O'Sullivan and lost 16-17 when O'Sullivan annoyed him by playing random shots.

SB

Is that not gamesmanship, but in a different context?
[Post edited 3 May 2021 9:00]

Snooker on 09:01 - May 3 with 1160 viewsStokieBlue

Snooker on 08:59 - May 3 by Chrisd

Is that not gamesmanship, but in a different context?
[Post edited 3 May 2021 9:00]

Indeed you could classify it as such but it was due to the fact that Selby always tries to slow him down and take ages on easy shots to get him out of his rhythm.

For Selby it's his actual default method of play, for O'Sullivan it was out of frustration and is the rare occurrence rather than the default.

We won't agree on this, Selby for me is anti-snooker. Bingham was damning in his comments after the semi-final against Selby.

Enjoy the rest of the final.

SB

Snooker on 09:07 - May 3 with 1150 viewsChrisd

Snooker on 09:01 - May 3 by StokieBlue

Indeed you could classify it as such but it was due to the fact that Selby always tries to slow him down and take ages on easy shots to get him out of his rhythm.

For Selby it's his actual default method of play, for O'Sullivan it was out of frustration and is the rare occurrence rather than the default.

We won't agree on this, Selby for me is anti-snooker. Bingham was damning in his comments after the semi-final against Selby.

Enjoy the rest of the final.

SB

Of course we won’t, but it’s a forum SB difference of opinion is the norm. Others have to find a way to counter Selby’s approach. Like us playing against more direct sides in L1. Don’t moan about it that they play the long ball and are direct in their style, try to find a way to stifle their play.

I will, hope you do too. Hopefully, Murphy will find some of his spark from his semi final.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024