Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cash only establishments 19:01 - May 2 with 4569 viewsgtsb1966

Saw a few of these in the Costa del Clacton today. Chip shop, cafe and gift shop i went in all said cash only. How are places able to do this especially in covid times and why are the government not stamping on it. It's obvious it's for one reason.
Cash only establishments on 19:20 - May 2 with 2281 viewsGeoffSentence

Yes, there is one obvious reason for doing it. Hard to crack down on though since there's nothing illegal about taking cash. Wouldn't surprise me if the fact that they were cash only raised their profile with HMRC though.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Cash only establishments on 19:24 - May 2 with 2258 viewsfactual_blue

Cash only establishments on 19:20 - May 2 by GeoffSentence

Yes, there is one obvious reason for doing it. Hard to crack down on though since there's nothing illegal about taking cash. Wouldn't surprise me if the fact that they were cash only raised their profile with HMRC though.

Quite. HMRC will up their tax assessment. And if they pay without a whisper, HMRC will up it again the next year because it was clearly too little.

Cash is a dangerous game in these money-laudering alert days.

See also barbers' shops, car washes.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Cash only establishments on 19:25 - May 2 with 2260 viewshoppy

I’m guessing their margins aren’t brilliant if they’re trying to price competitively and don’t want any extra fees levied by the card machine companies? It’s surely only a matter of time before the majority of people go cashless, if not already, which will mean they’ll either need to embrace it or lose customers and go out of business.
It’s not necessarily that they’re trying to avoid tax by taking cash, which is the ‘only reason’ I’m assuming you’re suggesting?.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Cash only establishments on 19:29 - May 2 with 2232 viewsgtsb1966

Cash only establishments on 19:25 - May 2 by hoppy

I’m guessing their margins aren’t brilliant if they’re trying to price competitively and don’t want any extra fees levied by the card machine companies? It’s surely only a matter of time before the majority of people go cashless, if not already, which will mean they’ll either need to embrace it or lose customers and go out of business.
It’s not necessarily that they’re trying to avoid tax by taking cash, which is the ‘only reason’ I’m assuming you’re suggesting?.

The busiest chip shop in Sudbury is cash only. Im assuming that's a tax avoidance thing too.
Cash only establishments on 19:30 - May 2 with 2230 viewsGeoffSentence

I once asked a company, can't remember who, if they did a discount for cash, they said no because handling cash was more expensive than handling card transactions.

So I asked for a discount for paying by card.

Still said no.

Cash only establishments on 19:30 - May 2 with 2212 viewsjeera

Agree.

Besides, their systems could be down or something.

The local bakers here has only ever taken cash and has made no noises about moving towards anything else.

It's perfectly legal and above board.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Cash only establishments on 19:34 - May 2 with 2198 viewsfactual_blue

Cash only establishments on 19:30 - May 2 by GeoffSentence

I once asked a company, can't remember who, if they did a discount for cash, they said no because handling cash was more expensive than handling card transactions.

So I asked for a discount for paying by card.

Still said no.

I read a dreadful story a while ago about a woman who'd fallen very seriously ill after a long period of using Chinese medicine as recommended by the Chinese 'pharmacist' she used.

She decided to sue. They were a cash only establishment, and simply said 'prove you did business with us'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Cash only establishments on 19:35 - May 2 with 2184 viewsGeoffSentence

Cash only establishments on 19:34 - May 2 by factual_blue

I read a dreadful story a while ago about a woman who'd fallen very seriously ill after a long period of using Chinese medicine as recommended by the Chinese 'pharmacist' she used.

She decided to sue. They were a cash only establishment, and simply said 'prove you did business with us'.

They were both cashless and receiptless?

Login to get fewer ads

Cash only establishments on 19:39 - May 2 with 2161 viewsjeera

Cash only establishments on 19:35 - May 2 by GeoffSentence

They were both cashless and receiptless?

And therefore couldn't prove she didn't buy her rhino horn dust from Tesco.

Sneaky.

Cash only establishments on 19:41 - May 2 with 2143 viewsBent_double

Careful now, posting your common-sense ideas on here.

Surely everyone knows that any business taking cash is only doing so to avoid paying tax?

When exactly did cash become such a dirty word?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Cash only establishments on 19:41 - May 2 with 2144 viewsgtsb1966

Cash only establishments on 19:30 - May 2 by jeera

Agree.

Besides, their systems could be down or something.

The local bakers here has only ever taken cash and has made no noises about moving towards anything else.

It's perfectly legal and above board.

I get some have thin margins but not all. The chip shop i mentioned in Sudbury is not only the busiest but the most expensive too. Cash only there is for one reason only.
Cash only establishments on 19:44 - May 2 with 2122 viewsGeoffSentence

Cash only establishments on 19:41 - May 2 by gtsb1966

I get some have thin margins but not all. The chip shop i mentioned in Sudbury is not only the busiest but the most expensive too. Cash only there is for one reason only.

It is debatable to say that handling cash is cheaper than card payments anyway.

Cash only establishments on 19:45 - May 2 with 2125 viewscatch74

The cost at my pub for processing card payments is between £500 and £1000 a month.
Some are on a percentage and some are per transaction. If a fish and chip shop are charged per transaction it’ll cost them plenty.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Cash only establishments on 19:45 - May 2 with 2119 viewsSitfcB

Love a bit of cash.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Cash only establishments on 19:59 - May 2 with 2048 viewsjeera

I'm sorry but don't you think that's a bit off?

I'd be pissed off if someone implied I was operating illegally just because they'd decided it themselves with no proof.

Their reasons are their own and we're not owed an explanation.

If you want to get HMRC involved that's up to you but it's not our place to speculate.

Cash only establishments on 20:03 - May 2 with 2026 viewsm14_blue

Cash only establishments on 19:45 - May 2 by catch74

The cost at my pub for processing card payments is between £500 and £1000 a month.
Some are on a percentage and some are per transaction. If a fish and chip shop are charged per transaction it’ll cost them plenty.

There are lots of costs associated with taking cash too though.

If you’re turning away even a handful of customers who don’t have cash (and that number must be growing all the time) then it’s not a smart business decision.
Cash only establishments on 20:07 - May 2 with 2009 viewsMullet

I think the government have bigger things to worry about.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Cash only establishments on 20:14 - May 2 with 1977 viewsGeoffSentence

Cash only establishments on 20:03 - May 2 by m14_blue

If you’re turning away even a handful of customers who don’t have cash (and that number must be growing all the time) then it’s not a smart business decision.

Counting it, keeping it safe, transporting it, depositing all costs money plus for some businesses not all of it ends up in the till, but in an employees pocket. I read somewhere that the average cost of handling cash is about 9%.

Cash only establishments on 20:19 - May 2 with 1954 viewscatch74

Cash only establishments on 20:03 - May 2 by m14_blue

Hence why I pay £500- £1000 a month! I imagine some people look at that saving and don’t factor in the cost. Maybe the odd person does it for other reasons too!
I also get charged for banking my own cash, getting change etc etc.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Cash only establishments on 20:20 - May 2 with 1948 viewsgtsb1966

Cash only establishments on 19:59 - May 2 by jeera

I'm sorry but don't you think that's a bit off?

I'd be pissed off if someone implied I was operating illegally just because they'd decided it themselves with no proof.

Their reasons are their own and we're not owed an explanation.

If you want to get HMRC involved that's up to you but it's not our place to speculate.

I think HMRC wont be investigating anyone because of my post.
Cash only establishments on 20:24 - May 2 with 1937 viewsBlueBadger

Cash only establishments on 20:07 - May 2 by Mullet

I think the government have bigger things to worry about.

In all fairness, they're deeply opposed to tax avoidance if it's someone just about making a living. Less so if it's one of their mates or donors.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Cash only establishments on 22:49 - May 2 with 1770 viewseastangliaisblue

Save your outrage for companies like Amazon and Google.
Cash only establishments on 22:51 - May 2 with 1760 viewsSpruceMoose

Cash only establishments on 19:45 - May 2 by SitfcB

Love a bit of cash.

Personally, I love a lot of cash!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Cash only establishments on 23:44 - May 2 with 1691 viewsStNeotsBlue

I'm a taxi driver which I know is a well respected trade on here. People paying on cards has probably cut my earnings by 20% or more.
Cash only establishments on 23:50 - May 2 with 1666 viewsSpruceMoose

Cash only establishments on 23:44 - May 2 by StNeotsBlue

I'm a taxi driver which I know is a well respected trade on here. People paying on cards has probably cut my earnings by 20% or more.

Genuinely interested in the 'why' behind that fact?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024