Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Portman rd - just curious really 19:36 - May 2 with 4373 viewsdeano85

Just curious really, but when the cobbold stand was first build, it was odviously a lot shorter than it ended up.
What was the reason for this? Cost? All that was needed? Or was there ever plans to turn an aging portman rd around, starting with the cobbold, with it intending to be behind a goal?
Just curious really, as its had some makeshift enhancements over the years
Portman rd - just curious really on 19:57 - May 2 with 3161 viewssouthnorfolkblue

It was built in 1971. From recollection the previous stand was demolished in its entirety and the new stand erected in 90 days, so it was built in the 1971 off season. I only started watching in 1971, so am not entirely sure on this, but I think this replaced a single tier stand, so at the time this was seen as a massive upgrade.

The Club has been granted Planning Permission in more recent times to extend the stand

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Portman rd - just curious really on 20:07 - May 2 with 3114 viewsPJH

Portman rd - just curious really on 19:57 - May 2 by southnorfolkblue

It was built in 1971. From recollection the previous stand was demolished in its entirety and the new stand erected in 90 days, so it was built in the 1971 off season. I only started watching in 1971, so am not entirely sure on this, but I think this replaced a single tier stand, so at the time this was seen as a massive upgrade.

The Club has been granted Planning Permission in more recent times to extend the stand

The original East Stand ended up at Foxhall Stadium.

As you say, The Portman Stand as it was originally called was built in the summer of 1971 and was extended during 1974/75
Portman rd - just curious really on 20:15 - May 2 with 3043 viewsFtnfwest

Portman rd - just curious really on 20:07 - May 2 by PJH

As you say, The Portman Stand as it was originally called was built in the summer of 1971 and was extended during 1974/75

And was terracing at the front before the exec boxes came along in 1978-9 I think it was
Portman rd - just curious really on 20:23 - May 2 with 3001 viewsPJH

Portman rd - just curious really on 20:15 - May 2 by Ftnfwest

And was terracing at the front before the exec boxes came along in 1978-9 I think it was

Yes, correct.

Seats put in in the lower part for 1978/79.
Portman rd - just curious really on 20:38 - May 2 with 2951 viewsChurchman

Portman rd - just curious really on 20:07 - May 2 by PJH

Yep, it was opened start of 70/71. It replaced the ‘Chicken Run’ that wound up at the Speedway Track.

The width of the new stand was about the same as the old and the lower section was all terracing, with a little hut halfway down. It was definitely 1974/75 that it was extended. I think it was fully opened for the Aston Villa 5th Round FA Cup tie. This is pure memory based on the fact that my dad managed to scrounge a couple of tickets for the game in the red/orange seated extension where away supporters now are. Oddly, away supporters were given seats there that day too.

This is based purely on memory so I may be wrong. The stand seemed very shiny, roomy and new from the time it opened. We usually stood in the lower section at that season and others in those days, including for the 6th Rd Leeds game.
[Post edited 2 May 2021 20:59]
Portman rd - just curious really on 21:05 - May 2 with 2810 viewsfloridablue

Portman rd - just curious really on 20:15 - May 2 by Ftnfwest

My earliest memory watching from that side (chicken run)was the FA cup game against Stoke City 62/63 which was Stanley Matthews farewell (?). Then, 74/75 seasons , closer to the North Stand on the terracing, again in the Cup against, first Aston Villa, 35,000 and then the record 38,000 Leeds Cup game. My last memory before leaving 'Blighty' was up above, in the seats against Bolton play offs.... so great memories in that stand!
[Post edited 2 May 2021 21:10]
Portman rd - just curious really on 21:14 - May 2 with 2771 viewsBluespeed225

Portman rd - just curious really on 20:38 - May 2 by Churchman

Yep, it was opened start of 70/71. It replaced the ‘Chicken Run’ that wound up at the Speedway Track.

The width of the new stand was about the same as the old and the lower section was all terracing, with a little hut halfway down. It was definitely 1974/75 that it was extended. I think it was fully opened for the Aston Villa 5th Round FA Cup tie. This is pure memory based on the fact that my dad managed to scrounge a couple of tickets for the game in the red/orange seated extension where away supporters now are. Oddly, away supporters were given seats there that day too.

This is based purely on memory so I may be wrong. The stand seemed very shiny, roomy and new from the time it opened. We usually stood in the lower section at that season and others in those days, including for the 6th Rd Leeds game.

My first game, Sheffield Utd, April 72’, was watched from the terrace below the stand. I still have the box my old man made for me! It seemed, to a 7 year old, to tower above me. Crossed to the west stand terrace, no idea why, about 76’, was there for 78’. On being allowed to go with mates(Dec 78’, Bolton home, 12th bday), we were right at the front of Churchmans, which went on into 80/81, when we were daring enough to venture on occasions into The North!
Portman rd - just curious really on 21:26 - May 2 with 2718 viewsFtnfwest

Portman rd - just curious really on 21:05 - May 2 by floridablue

My earliest memory watching from that side (chicken run)was the FA cup game against Stoke City 62/63 which was Stanley Matthews farewell (?). Then, 74/75 seasons , closer to the North Stand on the terracing, again in the Cup against, first Aston Villa, 35,000 and then the record 38,000 Leeds Cup game. My last memory before leaving 'Blighty' was up above, in the seats against Bolton play offs.... so great memories in that stand!
[Post edited 2 May 2021 21:10]

First time in it and at any town game was the Leeds fa cup game. First time I ever went in the seats (anywhere in the ground) was in the portman stand v Barcelona in the cup winners cup which wasn’t until 1978-9. Was in the block that’s now away fans but wasn’t for that game.
Login to get fewer ads

Portman rd - just curious really on 21:48 - May 2 with 2648 viewsmonty_radio

That original stand that ended up at the speedway was not very high by modern standards, and consequently defenders regularly booted the ball out into Portman Rd often to the accompaniment of a chorus of "keep it on the island!". Haven't heard that for many a year. The league-winning centre-half, Andy Nelson, was a frequent exponent of the art of the high clearance.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Portman rd - just curious really on 21:49 - May 2 with 2646 viewsfloridablue

Portman rd - just curious really on 21:26 - May 2 by Ftnfwest

First time in it and at any town game was the Leeds fa cup game. First time I ever went in the seats (anywhere in the ground) was in the portman stand v Barcelona in the cup winners cup which wasn’t until 1978-9. Was in the block that’s now away fans but wasn’t for that game.

Thinking back to that Leeds Utd FA Cup 6th round /75 season, (Non ticket!) watching from the new 'ish' Portman /East stand, how many of their fans crowded into jam packed, shoulder to shoulder all around the stadium. Must of been a third of the 38,000 crowd!
Oh.. and for the younger generation... in those distant days of non- ticket games, if you didn't arrive early you run the risk of being shut out!
[Post edited 2 May 2021 22:14]
Portman rd - just curious really on 22:19 - May 2 with 2518 viewsdeano85

Portman rd - just curious really on 20:38 - May 2 by Churchman

So are you saying, the only reason it wasnt full width, was because the stand it replaced wasn't ?
Portman rd - just curious really on 22:25 - May 2 with 2489 viewsVic

Portman rd - just curious really on 21:48 - May 2 by monty_radio

That original stand that ended up at the speedway was not very high by modern standards, and consequently defenders regularly booted the ball out into Portman Rd often to the accompaniment of a chorus of "keep it on the island!". Haven't heard that for many a year. The league-winning centre-half, Andy Nelson, was a frequent exponent of the art of the high clearance.

Big Al cleared the ‘new’ stand a few times!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Portman rd - just curious really on 23:31 - May 2 with 2349 viewsmonty_radio

Portman rd - just curious really on 22:25 - May 2 by Vic

Big Al cleared the ‘new’ stand a few times!

Indeed he did- as cries of "Big Al" reverberated all around.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Portman rd - just curious really on 23:48 - May 2 with 2306 viewsMerthyrblue

Portman rd - just curious really on 21:49 - May 2 by floridablue

Thinking back to that Leeds Utd FA Cup 6th round /75 season, (Non ticket!) watching from the new 'ish' Portman /East stand, how many of their fans crowded into jam packed, shoulder to shoulder all around the stadium. Must of been a third of the 38,000 crowd!
Oh.. and for the younger generation... in those distant days of non- ticket games, if you didn't arrive early you run the risk of being shut out!

I was one of those standing in Portman Rd listening to the crowd
Portman rd - just curious really on 00:59 - May 3 with 2234 viewsChurchman

For the Leeds game I was on the standing in front of the East stand near the hut thing. I saw hardly anything because while I was in my teens beyond the footstool years I was still in my mid teens. Goodness it was packed that day.

You are right about getting there on time. We used to get to the ground a minimum of an hour and a half before kick off to get a decent spot for a big game. That was also the case for FA Cup Semis and Final.

Once on the terrace, if the crowd was less wedged than the Leeds game, you could ease away from for example giant people or those with livestock in their hair - there was an art form to terrace ‘management’.
Portman rd - just curious really on 01:07 - May 3 with 2223 viewsnorfsufblue

I was sitting on a rail at the back of the terrace under the " new " North Wing almost level with the penalty spot. Best view ever but didn't dare look behind as there was nothing behind except the stairwell to the concourse beneath... would never be allowed today!... and yeah remember many games where the gates were shut or rumoured to be shut. These were also the days of ticket vouchers, another blast from the past.
Portman rd - just curious really on 05:11 - May 3 with 2166 viewsCoastalblue

Pretty sure I've only ever sat in that stand for one game, St Etienne in '81, perhaps I should start sitting there next season.

I also watched REM from there too, think that's it though.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Portman rd - just curious really on 08:46 - May 3 with 1910 viewsArnieM

Don’t how to past pics sorry. But this is the original East stand prior to the Cobbold Stand construction ........the LFC fans sang about it being a cow shed ( they weren’t wrong lol ), at a match I was at .... in those days away fans had half the North Stand and stood on the same side of the stand where section 6 is situated.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Ffineartamerica.com%2Ffea

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Portman rd - just curious really on 08:49 - May 3 with 1890 viewsblueprint

Portman rd - just curious really on 08:46 - May 3 by ArnieM

Don’t how to past pics sorry. But this is the original East stand prior to the Cobbold Stand construction ........the LFC fans sang about it being a cow shed ( they weren’t wrong lol ), at a match I was at .... in those days away fans had half the North Stand and stood on the same side of the stand where section 6 is situated.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Ffineartamerica.com%2Ffea

Those seats were from Highbury originally.
Portman rd - just curious really on 08:51 - May 3 with 1871 viewsblueprint

https://images.app.goo.gl/scqLtw5PYUhqr1qp9
Portman rd - just curious really on 08:53 - May 3 with 1872 viewsblueprint

https://images.app.goo.gl/Nrf3h1E6qhsxgFzr9
Portman rd - just curious really on 08:55 - May 3 with 1855 viewsArnieM

I was at that game, it’s was 38,010 to be exact .... I took me 40 mins to get up the steps to gain access to the back of the North Stand. To be confronted by a “sea of faces”. It’s was that full. Your arms were either pinned down by your sides, or held aloft above your head, there was no room to do anything else. There was a “ thin blue line” of police between the Leeds hordes ....certainly no room for any fights to break out, (which common at games in the NS in those days with fans mixing)

The weight of the fans broke a barrier 3/4 of the way up the stand, and when a Town fan passed out , the fans just lifted him up above the crowd and “ passed “ him down above head height, the waiting St John’s Ambulance blokes on the pitch .

Game end 0-0 and a few night later thousand of Town fans travelled in literally a “queue” of traffic from Ipswich to Leicester.......and then back again for a second replay.

TWTD for sure.

Portman rd - just curious really on 08:57 - May 3 with 1842 viewsArnieM

Portman rd - just curious really on 08:53 - May 3 by blueprint

https://images.app.goo.gl/Nrf3h1E6qhsxgFzr9

We’re they really! Lol look at that terracing....looks great doesn’t it.

Portman rd - just curious really on 09:06 - May 3 with 1798 viewsKeno

Portman rd - just curious really on 08:55 - May 3 by ArnieM

I was at that game, it’s was 38,010 to be exact .... I took me 40 mins to get up the steps to gain access to the back of the North Stand. To be confronted by a “sea of faces”. It’s was that full. Your arms were either pinned down by your sides, or held aloft above your head, there was no room to do anything else. There was a “ thin blue line” of police between the Leeds hordes ....certainly no room for any fights to break out, (which common at games in the NS in those days with fans mixing)

The weight of the fans broke a barrier 3/4 of the way up the stand, and when a Town fan passed out , the fans just lifted him up above the crowd and “ passed “ him down above head height, the waiting St John’s Ambulance blokes on the pitch .

Game end 0-0 and a few night later thousand of Town fans travelled in literally a “queue” of traffic from Ipswich to Leicester.......and then back again for a second replay.

TWTD for sure.

I was there, in the NS near the barrier that popped! Ended up being moved out of the NS and placed in the funny bit of terrace between the NS & West, which in truth felt no safer!!

I do actually wonder how many were really in PR that day!!

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Portman rd - just curious really on 09:15 - May 3 with 1758 viewsChurchman

Portman rd - just curious really on 08:55 - May 3 by ArnieM

TWTD for sure.

The replay was at Elland Road. We should have won being a goal up until really late when they scored. I thought that was our lot at the time. The second replay was at Filbert Street. It was the first time I’d been to a neutral ground game and it was an amazing sight seeing the cars and coaches and vans heading there.

My dad and I stood in the little stand down the side and everyone was hammered. People were falling off the back of it, a Leeds fan on a stretcher was taken past and pelted and there was I think a dog doing tricks on the pitch to keep people entertained. The game itself was a bit of a cancel each other out affair and finished 0-0.

Two days later, third replay! We sat in the tiny little stand behind right behind the goal where Woods scored the winner. Watched it curl in. What a moment, what a week. Yep, TWTD.
[Post edited 3 May 2021 12:35]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024