Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows 12:40 - May 3 with 5431 viewsIllinoisblue

What was worse: The Wire’s season 5 fake serial killer nonsense. Or the Sopranos black screen?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 20:12 - May 3 with 611 viewsDarth_Koont

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 19:14 - May 3 by J2BLUE

I see what you mean. Maybe it's because i've read the books but the plot is great IMO. It does very quickly go from all against all to fighting the whitewalkers in the tv show though.

How did they resolve it in the books? Same way?

Always think with novels you have the space to do both plot and characterisation, but TV and films don’t really have the same time available or ability to change pace unless they’re only dealing with a few characters.

Pronouns: He/Him

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 20:32 - May 3 with 578 viewsJ2BLUE

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 20:12 - May 3 by Darth_Koont

How did they resolve it in the books? Same way?

Always think with novels you have the space to do both plot and characterisation, but TV and films don’t really have the same time available or ability to change pace unless they’re only dealing with a few characters.

We don't know yet which is the problem the writers had.

Only 5/7 books have been published. It's fairly clear Martin has lost all interest and I doubt the final one will ever get published. The first book was published in 1996. The last one came out in 2011. He's 72 and constantly takes on other projects much to the irritation of his fans.

I think he'll end up announcing no more books are coming. Maybe we'll get the sixth but never the seventh IMO.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 20:40 - May 3 with 571 viewsDarth_Koont

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 20:32 - May 3 by J2BLUE

We don't know yet which is the problem the writers had.

Only 5/7 books have been published. It's fairly clear Martin has lost all interest and I doubt the final one will ever get published. The first book was published in 1996. The last one came out in 2011. He's 72 and constantly takes on other projects much to the irritation of his fans.

I think he'll end up announcing no more books are coming. Maybe we'll get the sixth but never the seventh IMO.

Yeah, I think that was the problem I mentioned at the beginning. Think he has no real desire to finish the story – or even ability to see past the characters.

Like most people, his strength is his weakness. And vice versa.

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 20:42 - May 3 with 571 viewsCrayonKing

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 19:57 - May 3 by RobTheMonk

The Shield had a decent ending.

Soprano's was a cool way to end.

I think a lot of shows struggle with satisfying endings for anti-heroes. The Shield was one of the few that got it spot-on from what I remember!

Sopranos ending was just perfect. Totally iconic TV moment.
Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 20:47 - May 3 with 556 viewsJ2BLUE

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 20:40 - May 3 by Darth_Koont

Yeah, I think that was the problem I mentioned at the beginning. Think he has no real desire to finish the story – or even ability to see past the characters.

Like most people, his strength is his weakness. And vice versa.

He's even written prequels and the history of Westeros so you may well be right. Clearly loves what he has created and going back to that world and doesn't want to end it.

I am a bit like that as a reader if the book is part of a series. I'll get to the last one and then not want to read it because i've loved the previous ones!

Truly impaired.

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 20:49 - May 3 with 551 viewsDarth_Koont

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 20:47 - May 3 by J2BLUE

He's even written prequels and the history of Westeros so you may well be right. Clearly loves what he has created and going back to that world and doesn't want to end it.

I am a bit like that as a reader if the book is part of a series. I'll get to the last one and then not want to read it because i've loved the previous ones!

Indeed. I’m sure he lives in that world to a great extent. So why would he want to end it?

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 05:58 - May 4 with 489 viewsIPS_wich

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 20:49 - May 3 by Darth_Koont

Indeed. I’m sure he lives in that world to a great extent. So why would he want to end it?

I predict we'll eventually get Book 6, but then be in the same situation as the TV series - an end point defined by only having one book/ 13 episodes to bring it all together.

And then once GRRM passes, someone will pick up his notes and try and stick the landing by writing the final book. Really depends who is commissioned to do it as to how good/bad it is. Some of the authors who have done Bond books a few years ago really nailed Ian Flemings' style - others couldn't break their own style.

As for the GOT TV series - I'd kind of reconciled myself to not loving the ending - mainly because I couldn't come up with an ending in my own mind that I would be happy with.

That said, some of the last series worked for me:

- the whole start to the series and the end of the Night King was almost perfect (I could happily not see Jon and Dany cavorting on the Dragons again); but had that been the end of the penultimate series then it would have given the rush to Kings Landing enough air to breathe and also made for an incredible finish. It's why Arya, Jorah and Theon's story arcs were the most satisfying because their characters got the resolution their characters deserved

- I was pretty happy with how the game of thrones itself ended and the cast of who was left standing; I just wished the whole Dragonpit scene had been played with more gravitas and conflict - rather than for a few cheap laughs

- the concept of Dany losing her $hit was OK with me, but the abrupt turn was just like Anakin in Revenge of the Sith where they just didn't land it - a few scenes of pouting and tantrums doesn't justify the full on descent into madness and evil

Even as I type this, I think I realised the biggest mistake they made - which was the decision to split the 13 episodes over two series. Had they recognised that every good play has three acts, and decided to go for three mini series then it would have had a better emotional pay-off:

ACT 1: The dual threats to Westeros - Dany's invasion and the white walkers. Four episodes that focus on the impending threats to Kings Landing - mainly through the eyes of the Lannisters and the Starks, with Dany and the Night King a bit more in the background. Forget the trek north of the wall to get one of the walkers and a little less of the Dany and Euron rampaging. Focus on building the tension and jeopardy rather than the action sequences. Finish with the Night King bringing down the Wall (although need to work out how he gets a Dragon).

ACT 2: The battle to save the North - a four episode series focusing on the white walkers, the truce with Kings Landing and ultimately finishing with the battle for Winterfell. A subplot of Jon discovering he is Aegon and what this means for his relationship with Dany (which didn't really need the romance) and who should be seeking the throne could play out as a secondary plot. If all of the suspense was built around the white walkers then the pay off for the season finale at Winterfell could have been amazing. There would also need to be something that spelt the beginning of the end for Dany's sanity - maybe it would be the kidnapping and execution of Missandei and/or some sort of betrayal by Jon.

ACT 3: The resolution to the Game of Thrones over five episodes. Essentially the last three episodes of Season 8 with a bit more character focus and a less abrupt descent into madness for Dany. Would need better endings for Jaimie, Cersei and Varys, but I think the rest of the plot could have held up with just a bit more space and less rushing to a conclusion.

Have 8-9 months between each mini-series. Same number of episodes, but split over three acts which don't always rely on a blockbuster action scene every other episode (especially the first act), leaving more room for a bit more plotting and betrayal - which is why we all loved the first 2-3 season (that and the nudity...)

Anyway - I've clearly spent too much time thinking about this!!
[Post edited 4 May 2021 6:00]
Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 07:28 - May 4 with 466 viewsThe_Major

Battlestar Galactica was mildly irritating, but nothing
comes close to utter despair and throw the TV out the window rage as Lost.

Six years invested in that show. And then it all boiled down to a cork or something. Gah!!
Login to get fewer ads

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 08:01 - May 4 with 458 viewsBlueRaider

Lost was utter rubbish, the writers clearly could not work out what to do with all the threads and came up with a fudged ending

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 08:23 - May 4 with 452 viewsDanTheMan

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 13:03 - May 3 by Illinoisblue

Yeah that was pretty awful

Although what actually happened I believe is what GRRM had envisaged, they didn't make that bit up. I believe he'd given the writers the major plot points of what happened and they filled in the blanks.

Although the pacing was all kinds of wrong for the last season.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 08:35 - May 4 with 433 viewsGlasgowBlue

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 08:01 - May 4 by BlueRaider

Lost was utter rubbish, the writers clearly could not work out what to do with all the threads and came up with a fudged ending

I think the ending of LOST was perfectly clear. And all the mysteries of the Island were revealed at various points in the last season.

Not sure how you think it was fudged.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 11:55 - May 4 with 393 viewsJ2BLUE

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 05:58 - May 4 by IPS_wich

I predict we'll eventually get Book 6, but then be in the same situation as the TV series - an end point defined by only having one book/ 13 episodes to bring it all together.

And then once GRRM passes, someone will pick up his notes and try and stick the landing by writing the final book. Really depends who is commissioned to do it as to how good/bad it is. Some of the authors who have done Bond books a few years ago really nailed Ian Flemings' style - others couldn't break their own style.

As for the GOT TV series - I'd kind of reconciled myself to not loving the ending - mainly because I couldn't come up with an ending in my own mind that I would be happy with.

That said, some of the last series worked for me:

- the whole start to the series and the end of the Night King was almost perfect (I could happily not see Jon and Dany cavorting on the Dragons again); but had that been the end of the penultimate series then it would have given the rush to Kings Landing enough air to breathe and also made for an incredible finish. It's why Arya, Jorah and Theon's story arcs were the most satisfying because their characters got the resolution their characters deserved

- I was pretty happy with how the game of thrones itself ended and the cast of who was left standing; I just wished the whole Dragonpit scene had been played with more gravitas and conflict - rather than for a few cheap laughs

- the concept of Dany losing her $hit was OK with me, but the abrupt turn was just like Anakin in Revenge of the Sith where they just didn't land it - a few scenes of pouting and tantrums doesn't justify the full on descent into madness and evil

Even as I type this, I think I realised the biggest mistake they made - which was the decision to split the 13 episodes over two series. Had they recognised that every good play has three acts, and decided to go for three mini series then it would have had a better emotional pay-off:

ACT 1: The dual threats to Westeros - Dany's invasion and the white walkers. Four episodes that focus on the impending threats to Kings Landing - mainly through the eyes of the Lannisters and the Starks, with Dany and the Night King a bit more in the background. Forget the trek north of the wall to get one of the walkers and a little less of the Dany and Euron rampaging. Focus on building the tension and jeopardy rather than the action sequences. Finish with the Night King bringing down the Wall (although need to work out how he gets a Dragon).

ACT 2: The battle to save the North - a four episode series focusing on the white walkers, the truce with Kings Landing and ultimately finishing with the battle for Winterfell. A subplot of Jon discovering he is Aegon and what this means for his relationship with Dany (which didn't really need the romance) and who should be seeking the throne could play out as a secondary plot. If all of the suspense was built around the white walkers then the pay off for the season finale at Winterfell could have been amazing. There would also need to be something that spelt the beginning of the end for Dany's sanity - maybe it would be the kidnapping and execution of Missandei and/or some sort of betrayal by Jon.

ACT 3: The resolution to the Game of Thrones over five episodes. Essentially the last three episodes of Season 8 with a bit more character focus and a less abrupt descent into madness for Dany. Would need better endings for Jaimie, Cersei and Varys, but I think the rest of the plot could have held up with just a bit more space and less rushing to a conclusion.

Have 8-9 months between each mini-series. Same number of episodes, but split over three acts which don't always rely on a blockbuster action scene every other episode (especially the first act), leaving more room for a bit more plotting and betrayal - which is why we all loved the first 2-3 season (that and the nudity...)

Anyway - I've clearly spent too much time thinking about this!!
[Post edited 4 May 2021 6:00]

For me the ending only needed a slight tweak. I wasn’t going to post specifics but as other people have, I will too.

****GOT SPOILERS AHEAD****

Changes I would make:

Jon on the iron throne. It’s so simple. It was the perfect ending. The bastard who couldn’t even sit at the table with the Starks is actually the rightful heir to the throne. When Tyrion said “who has a better story than xxxxx?” I was convinced he would say Jon. Bran’s perfect role was as the hand of the king. A chief advisor but number two to the main man.

Dorne going it along. Winterfell decide to go it alone, which made perfect sense. The other six all meekly agree to be ruled by...Bran. What the actual f##k? Dorne were the last ones fighting when the Targaryens invaded. They retained the titles Prince/Princess. Yet when they see Winterfell is given the chance to leave with no consequences they still don’t go for it? The seven kingdoms could have formed a lasting alliance. They did not have to bow to Bran.

Punishing Jon for doing the right thing because Greyworm wanted it. I get Greyworm had ultimate loyalty but that made no sense. There was enough power to oppose him or put Jon on trial and ultimately find him innocent.

I know I sound like a Jon fanboy but really I’m mainly pissed off that a character I never warmed to ends up king especially when he evolves into a character with even less of a personality than he had originally. I would have been happy with a twist that saw Sansa or Tyrion (Sansa and Tyrion?!?) on the iron throne or even each kingdom going it alone but signing a treaty to always be allies or something .

Oh and Jon’s punishment made no sense. There was no need for a Night’s Watch. I know it made it his story go full circle but at the expense of logic.

I loved GOT and a rewrite of the last hour is all that was needed IMO.

Truly impaired.

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 11:57 - May 4 with 390 viewsChiefXL

Personally when endings to other series have been so much worse I think the ending to The Sopranos have stood the test of time relatively well.
Also you're comparing an entire disappointing season (The Wire) with the last five minutes of an otherwise excellent season (The Sopranos).
Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 18:56 - May 4 with 329 viewsDinDjarin

Talking of disappointing endings to TV shows on 12:45 - May 3 by Mullet

How did anyone get to episode 5 let alone season 5 of the Wire? The Bill for pretentious people innit.

I thought the Sopranos ending was decent enough to be fair. It was a bit patchy when it went all soap opera and the final seasons got it back on track.

Probably breaking bad deserves a mention. By the end it’d just stopped being good.

Booo Yooo.

The best TV ever made.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024