Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol City 11:19 - May 4 with 5346 viewschrismakin

Since when did they become a top 6 championship team?

The way they moan about Ashton, Rolls etc taking the club backwards etc
I saw one poster even asked on their forum if their reputation has taken a fall, I didn't even know they had one.

they are so blinkered it's unreal

One of the biggest things Ashton did for them was the new performance centre
" It was already in motion when he came in"

Erm no, the planning permission for it was about to expire, one of his first duties was to get the permission extended and actually take on the role of getting it done.

And then we come to Rolls, and they are quick to link back to his time at Arsenal

Many ways you can look at this tbh, Arsenal a side used to being kicked off the ball more than any other sides in the league due their style of players, a squad that included Wilshire, Walcott who throughout their whole careers struggled with injury etc

BC injuries this season, a few hamstrings, not unusual in a squad, ACL, Back injuries.. nothing a physio can do about that, and there's one who's suffered foot problems for years.. that's a given that he's out.

Not sure what exactly BC expect, if you take out things like ACL, Back injuries, they've got 8 players out which based on a pandemic year, that's not too bad when you appreciate the lack of water treatments available for hamstring injuries, thigh strains etc, due to lockdown rules and the stop start effects of football over the last year or so, increase in midweek games, it's no shock injuries for all clubs are higher than normal.

Also based on what we know about the costs of actually fielding a competitive championship side, the fact they have built a new performance centre, stadium facilities etc whilst remaining competitive in the championship they have underestimated how good a job M/A has done there.
[Post edited 4 May 2021 12:46]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Bristol City on 11:27 - May 4 with 4090 viewsStewart27

Yep for as long as I can remember they were always a team flirting in the lower 2 divisions with the occasional championship cameo. Until the last few years.

They’ve never been in the premier league and have no history.

Their fans are acting like they are some massive club that has been poorly run the last few years, where it is actually the complete opposite!
Bristol City on 11:37 - May 4 with 4027 viewsNthQldITFC

Ah see Barnsley are in t'play-offs. Hope the beggars win an' go oop t'First Division or whatever they call t'bloody thing these days. They wuz such a neece bunch o' beggars when we beat 'um in 2000, ah really hurp they get oop.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Bristol City on 11:52 - May 4 with 3932 viewsmonty_radio

Bristol City on 11:37 - May 4 by NthQldITFC

Ah see Barnsley are in t'play-offs. Hope the beggars win an' go oop t'First Division or whatever they call t'bloody thing these days. They wuz such a neece bunch o' beggars when we beat 'um in 2000, ah really hurp they get oop.

'Appen!

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Bristol City on 11:53 - May 4 with 3908 viewsJackSted

what

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Bristol City on 11:54 - May 4 with 3899 viewshaynes_toe1

Obviously Ashton and Rolls haven't performed in the last year or so at-least otherwise they wouldn't be leaving a mid-table championship side.

Equally Cook had a great record coming into our club but has struggled so far.

It's not really relevant. Ashton and Rolls could be complete game-changers for us or they could offer us nothing.

I'm just pleased we're getting people into positions that we need as quickly as possible. It gives them the best opportunity to get things right.
Bristol City on 11:55 - May 4 with 3886 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I'm not so sure what you are surprised about. Big money owner, new stadium, promises of Premier League football.

They wouldn't be the first set of fans to get a new owner with lots of money and expect their side to start punching much higher than they've been used to.

The trouble with Bristol City fans is they've become quite entitled.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Bristol City on 11:58 - May 4 with 3855 viewsNthQldITFC

Bristol City on 11:53 - May 4 by JackSted

what

"What what?"

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Bristol City on 12:06 - May 4 with 3810 viewsazuremerlangus

Bristol City on 11:27 - May 4 by Stewart27

Yep for as long as I can remember they were always a team flirting in the lower 2 divisions with the occasional championship cameo. Until the last few years.

Their fans are acting like they are some massive club that has been poorly run the last few years, where it is actually the complete opposite!

They may have not been in the PL but were in the top tier in the 1970’s.

Agree that they don’t have a huge history given the size of Bristol but there was life before the PL.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Login to get fewer ads

Bristol City on 12:16 - May 4 with 3757 viewsMattinLondon

Like many cities and towns up-and-down the country the potential is there for Bristol to challenge for the PL - never realised that Bristol has a population of almost 500k. I know that there’s two clubs in Bristol and a successful Rugby Union team but they should really be getting bigger gates than what they were prior to Covid.

In all honesty when fans of Bristol City, Leeds etc etc bang on about how big or well supported they are it makes me proud that a team from a fairly medium(ish) sized town gets much larger gates than what those clubs get in relation to the local population.

Think Cole Skuse and others have stated that the size of the club is much much bigger than what should be expected compared to the town itself. Well it makes me proud anyway.
Bristol City on 12:20 - May 4 with 3721 viewsreusersfreekicks

Were in the old first division some time in late 70s early 80s
Bristol City on 12:27 - May 4 with 3676 viewschrismakin

To add to this.. youd think injuries was something new to BC under Rolls.

However go back a bit

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/210064-coincidence-city-announce-new-med

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Bristol City on 12:28 - May 4 with 3659 viewsBinner

Bristol City on 12:20 - May 4 by reusersfreekicks

Were in the old first division some time in late 70s early 80s

I worked with a Bristol City supporter when they were promoted. Was their second spell in top division. As I remember they stayed up for three or four seasons.

The guy told me that they had, years previously, won the Welsh Cup by beating Tranmere in the final.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Bristol City on 12:37 - May 4 with 3601 viewsPhilTWTD

Bristol City on 12:27 - May 4 by chrismakin

To add to this.. youd think injuries was something new to BC under Rolls.

However go back a bit

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/210064-coincidence-city-announce-new-med

On a related note to that, Andrew Proctor, who joined BCFC as lead physiotherapist at the same time as Rolls, was at Wigan under Paul Cook. Is now working at Blackburn.
Bristol City on 12:46 - May 4 with 3524 viewsFelix1955

We had a horrendous injury list this season, the worst in my memory which caused plenty of questions particularly with the physio/medical departments of which Rolls was one. In fact one players complained about his treatment to the Athletic and that was copied by a local hack in our paper the Post - and the crap hit the fan.

Nigel Pearson was appointed on the three year deal recently and the first he bombed out was Rolls who has joined you guys at Ipswich. I assume he and Ashton are buddies....

Long injury list follow him around so don’t be surprised if the same happens at your place.

You guys can knock Bristol City all you like but as fans we’re delighted to see the back of Ashton and Rolls.

It won’t be long before Ashton puts up the prices on your season cards without any fan consultation. It was only when our Supporters Trust got involved that Ashton backed down
Bristol City on 12:55 - May 4 with 3441 viewschrismakin

Bristol City on 12:46 - May 4 by Felix1955

We had a horrendous injury list this season, the worst in my memory which caused plenty of questions particularly with the physio/medical departments of which Rolls was one. In fact one players complained about his treatment to the Athletic and that was copied by a local hack in our paper the Post - and the crap hit the fan.

Nigel Pearson was appointed on the three year deal recently and the first he bombed out was Rolls who has joined you guys at Ipswich. I assume he and Ashton are buddies....

Long injury list follow him around so don’t be surprised if the same happens at your place.

You guys can knock Bristol City all you like but as fans we’re delighted to see the back of Ashton and Rolls.

It won’t be long before Ashton puts up the prices on your season cards without any fan consultation. It was only when our Supporters Trust got involved that Ashton backed down

Just to be factual, Rolls had already left prior to Pearson being appointed on a deal, it was already sorted for Rolls to follow M/A

We already have a long injury list so it won't be anything new

But you've not in anyway taken the pandemic into account, overall BC injuries over he years until the past year haven't been any different to other clubs, this season for alot of clubs has been worse for injuries especially muscle ones due to the unavailability of certain treatments due to the pandemic.

Look up liverpool, you don't see the fans hounding out their medical department.

You don't spend many years at Prem clubs if you are a failure in the medical department.

There's no knocking of BC, I'm just surpised of the strengh of some of your forums belief of where you are as a club. Maybe if you fall to where we are, you'd appreciate where you are, to have a new performance centre, stadium upgrades whilst still paying competitive salaries for the championship you don't realise how good a job you've had done there. Something alot of us took for granted under MM, once you lose it, only then do you see how good you had it.

So we know BC have had injuries
Ipswich have had injuries
Liverpool have had injuries who else?

Some sides with half or more of a starting 11 out injured:

Derby, Huddersfield, Middlesborough ( Have more out than Bristol City), Norwich, Sheff Wed ( More than Bristol City)
Newcastle, Southampton, Wolves, Crystal palace

Just some examples of how BC are not alone in injuries in the 20/21 season.

And if you look to previous seasons, BC still aren't in a league of their own when it comes to injuries.
[Post edited 4 May 2021 13:15]

Bristol City on 13:02 - May 4 with 3361 viewsChurchman

Wow, Nigel Pearson fires and recruits Directors of Performance as well as first team manager role. Talented man. I presume Pearson is an old style Bobby Robson type of manager that controls everything? A different approach considering Bristol City seem to have a sense of top six Championship entitlement these days.
Bristol City on 13:06 - May 4 with 3336 viewsSuperblue95

Bristol City on 12:55 - May 4 by chrismakin

Just to be factual, Rolls had already left prior to Pearson being appointed on a deal, it was already sorted for Rolls to follow M/A

We already have a long injury list so it won't be anything new

But you've not in anyway taken the pandemic into account, overall BC injuries over he years until the past year haven't been any different to other clubs, this season for alot of clubs has been worse for injuries especially muscle ones due to the unavailability of certain treatments due to the pandemic.

Look up liverpool, you don't see the fans hounding out their medical department.

You don't spend many years at Prem clubs if you are a failure in the medical department.

There's no knocking of BC, I'm just surpised of the strengh of some of your forums belief of where you are as a club. Maybe if you fall to where we are, you'd appreciate where you are, to have a new performance centre, stadium upgrades whilst still paying competitive salaries for the championship you don't realise how good a job you've had done there. Something alot of us took for granted under MM, once you lose it, only then do you see how good you had it.

So we know BC have had injuries
Ipswich have had injuries
Liverpool have had injuries who else?

Some sides with half or more of a starting 11 out injured:

Derby, Huddersfield, Middlesborough ( Have more out than Bristol City), Norwich, Sheff Wed ( More than Bristol City)
Newcastle, Southampton, Wolves, Crystal palace

Just some examples of how BC are not alone in injuries in the 20/21 season.

And if you look to previous seasons, BC still aren't in a league of their own when it comes to injuries.
[Post edited 4 May 2021 13:15]

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Bristol City on 13:22 - May 4 with 3199 viewsFelix1955

Bristol City on 13:02 - May 4 by Churchman

Wow, Nigel Pearson fires and recruits Directors of Performance as well as first team manager role. Talented man. I presume Pearson is an old style Bobby Robson type of manager that controls everything? A different approach considering Bristol City seem to have a sense of top six Championship entitlement these days.

Pearson was local radio yesterday and outlined his strategy for next season sampling “there will be changes behind the scenes”

Anyway read this..........

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/212181-ipswich-appoint-former-bristol-ci
Bristol City on 13:29 - May 4 with 3118 viewschrismakin

Bristol City on 13:22 - May 4 by Felix1955

Pearson was local radio yesterday and outlined his strategy for next season sampling “there will be changes behind the scenes”

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/212181-ipswich-appoint-former-bristol-ci

Well of course there's changes, We're having 4 of your main people, that's been expected since M/A was announced.

Hope she makes a good brew, PC loves a cuppa
[Post edited 4 May 2021 13:31]

Bristol City on 13:29 - May 4 with 3117 viewsquirkie

I've never really understood why the city of Bristol have not had a decent football side.

I know there are two sides in Bristol but the city is about half a million in size with a catchment area of Somerset and Gloucestershire. Only 100 miles down the M4 from London so not really an out post like Plymouth.

You'd have thought at some point in either clubs history they would have had a bit more success. I suppose the city is more of a Rugby city than a football one.

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Bristol City on 13:37 - May 4 with 3042 viewsChurchman

Bristol City on 13:22 - May 4 by Felix1955

Well he got that right. As it goes, Pearson did brilliantly at Leicester. Good manager.

We need a new tea lady!! Our previous one gave up after trying to combine the job with Director of Performance, magic sponge bucket polisher, turnstile painter (once every 20 years), kit washer, grass cutter, team bus driver. But the thing that really pushed her over the edge was the cut price tea bags. And who can blame her.
[Post edited 4 May 2021 13:38]
Bristol City on 13:44 - May 4 with 2969 viewsPJH

Bristol City on 12:28 - May 4 by Binner

I worked with a Bristol City supporter when they were promoted. Was their second spell in top division. As I remember they stayed up for three or four seasons.

The guy told me that they had, years previously, won the Welsh Cup by beating Tranmere in the final.

Yes they were in top division 1976/77 until 1979/80 and finished above us in our F.A. Cup winning season.
Bristol City on 13:46 - May 4 with 2962 viewshaynes_toe1

Good to hear from an actual Bristol City fan, rather than an Ipswich fan pretending he knows everything about your club.

I still think Ashton and Rolls, whilst not doing so well for yourselves, will be a step up for us.
Bristol City on 13:47 - May 4 with 2960 viewsGuthrum

Bristol City on 13:29 - May 4 by quirkie

I've never really understood why the city of Bristol have not had a decent football side.

I know there are two sides in Bristol but the city is about half a million in size with a catchment area of Somerset and Gloucestershire. Only 100 miles down the M4 from London so not really an out post like Plymouth.

You'd have thought at some point in either clubs history they would have had a bit more success. I suppose the city is more of a Rugby city than a football one.

The South West is not really football heartland. Can you think of a really major English team beyond a line drawn from Birmingham to Bournemouth?

It's partly cricket and Rugby Union, but also the fact that football was historically at its strongest in the big industrial cities. Ipswich was a bit of a quirk, driven mainly by the ambition of one family (and we didn't really get going until around 1960).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Bristol City on 13:51 - May 4 with 2923 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

I wonder if Ashton is perhaps the kind of CEO that has a short shelf life. He seems the type that can come in and shake things up but from what I hear is not easy to get along with. This may explain why he gets short term results but ends up moving on when things stagnate.

We had a CEO like this at my work who was there for three years to oversee some major change but upset a lot of people. He's now been replaced by our current CEO who has built an amazing working culture.

Total supposition but perhaps something similar is on the cards?

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024