Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Frank Brogan 13:03 - May 4 with 1639 viewsBlue_badge

When I started watching Town in 1967 Frank Brogan was one of my heroes - a real wing wonder.
Thanks for all the good memories and RIP.
RIP Frank Brogan on 13:06 - May 4 with 1616 viewsblueislander

Genuine old school left winger. RIP.
RIP Frank Brogan on 13:10 - May 4 with 1588 viewsoldburian

A really good player for us. In our relegation year from the old first division his partnership with Joe Broadfoot was probably the only highlight. There was not a better pair of wingers around. I was there when a tackle from Allan Gilzean basically finished his effective career. Have had no time for Spurs since.
RIP Frank Brogan on 13:14 - May 4 with 1576 viewsVic

He was one of the big names in the town team the very first time I went to see them. Was a pre season friendly at Bury St Edmunds old Kings Road ground in the late 1960’s.

RIP Frank.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

RIP Frank Brogan on 13:20 - May 4 with 1550 viewsBlue_badge

RIP Frank Brogan on 13:10 - May 4 by oldburian

A really good player for us. In our relegation year from the old first division his partnership with Joe Broadfoot was probably the only highlight. There was not a better pair of wingers around. I was there when a tackle from Allan Gilzean basically finished his effective career. Have had no time for Spurs since.

That Gilzean tackle sticks in my mind too, and, like you, has coloured my attitude towards Spurs ever since.
RIP Frank Brogan on 13:24 - May 4 with 1530 viewsmonty_radio

Yep - after an initial "coming together" Frank was chased across the pitch and cut down. Was never the same player after that injury. Until that injury he was a player who seemed to get better and better for us.

The original right-footed left winger. Would now have commentators screaming out about playing the ball "with the outside of his boot" - which he seemed to do even when carrying it forward.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

RIP Frank Brogan on 13:41 - May 4 with 1486 viewsBattersea_Blue

So many good memories of Frank during my early years as a youngster supporting Town.

Tremendous player, created a lot of goals as well as scoring his fair share.

I worked with a guy in Beccles who was the spitting image of him, he's still nicknamed Brogan to this day.

Rest in Peace Frank.
RIP Frank Brogan on 13:47 - May 4 with 1468 viewsPJH

Very good winger and one of Jackie Milburn successful signings along with his not so good signings.

An important part of the 1967/68 Second Division winning team, leading scorer in fact ahead of Ray Crawford although a few penalties in Frank's total.

This is very sad news.

RIP Frank.
RIP Frank Brogan on 13:57 - May 4 with 1446 viewsChurchman

A good player. I did see him play but remember little about how he played tbh, other than he was a winger. I see he scored 69 goals from 223 appearances and never missed a penalty for us.

I read that he was completely surprised by the Ipswich move, but was impressed with Milburn and subsequently John Cobbold (hardly a surprise there!). He loved the wide, beautiful pitch we had then and enjoyed his time in Suffolk. A really good player for us.

RIP.
Login to get fewer ads

RIP Frank Brogan on 14:02 - May 4 with 1427 viewsurbanblue

Great player and part of the promotion winning team when I first started watching Town.

RIP
RIP Frank Brogan on 14:24 - May 4 with 1394 viewsblueislander

RIP Frank Brogan on 13:24 - May 4 by monty_radio

Yep - after an initial "coming together" Frank was chased across the pitch and cut down. Was never the same player after that injury. Until that injury he was a player who seemed to get better and better for us.

The original right-footed left winger. Would now have commentators screaming out about playing the ball "with the outside of his boot" - which he seemed to do even when carrying it forward.

My recollection is that Brogan was very much left footed. Broadfoot had the ability to cut inside from the right and let fly with his left foot . Unfortunately he was not very accurate!
RIP Frank Brogan on 14:58 - May 4 with 1365 viewsThe_Last_Baron

You can see Frank in action here:

Ipswich v Spurs is from 47'20. Apparently the strange camera angle was an experiment which the TV companies tried out at a few games around this time before realising it wouldn't work as well as the one we've been used to.

You also get to see Charlie Woods in action.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

RIP Frank Brogan on 15:02 - May 4 with 1359 viewsBramidan

I saw that tackle as well. Gilzean was a dirty cynical player.
Brogan was never the same.
Never mentioned when Gilzean died of course.
RIP Frank Brogan on 15:02 - May 4 with 1359 viewsmonty_radio

RIP Frank Brogan on 14:24 - May 4 by blueislander

My recollection is that Brogan was very much left footed. Broadfoot had the ability to cut inside from the right and let fly with his left foot . Unfortunately he was not very accurate!

Evidence hard to come by but I found 2 clips on Youtube of Frank playing for Celtic in which he has a grand total of three touches - all with his right foot, one being a corner.

Also, now having seen the Town v Spurs clip posted in this thread, you can see him playing the ball exclusively with his right, including the inswinging corner.
[Post edited 4 May 2021 17:39]

RIP Frank Brogan on 15:03 - May 4 with 1359 viewsThe_Last_Baron

RIP Frank Brogan on 13:24 - May 4 by monty_radio

Was it the match in the YouTube video above?

RIP Frank Brogan on 15:22 - May 4 with 1338 viewsmonty_radio

RIP Frank Brogan on 15:03 - May 4 by The_Last_Baron

Was it the match in the YouTube video above?

I remember it as when Town were kicking the other way. If that's an accurate memory, and it is that particular game, then it happened in the half that wasn't shown.

RIP Frank Brogan on 15:30 - May 4 with 1323 viewsBeckets

RIP Frank Brogan on 15:02 - May 4 by Bramidan

I saw that tackle as well. Gilzean was a dirty cynical player.
Brogan was never the same.
Never mentioned when Gilzean died of course.

The Gilzean tackle was in the match in October 1968 I think. Brogan had to go off in that match to be replaced by Eddie Spearitt. Gilzean was a master of the dark arts.
RIP Frank Brogan on 15:39 - May 4 with 1311 viewsshaunmahony

RIP Frank Brogan on 14:58 - May 4 by The_Last_Baron

You can see Frank in action here:

Ipswich v Spurs is from 47'20. Apparently the strange camera angle was an experiment which the TV companies tried out at a few games around this time before realising it wouldn't work as well as the one we've been used to.

You also get to see Charlie Woods in action.

Many thanks for posting this. Was at the match with my father. Remember Brogan and Mick McNeil used to do some coaching at my school to supplement their income - no need for current footballers to do that of course!
RIP Frank Brogan on 15:41 - May 4 with 1308 viewsPJH

RIP Frank Brogan on 15:30 - May 4 by Beckets

The Gilzean tackle was in the match in October 1968 I think. Brogan had to go off in that match to be replaced by Eddie Spearitt. Gilzean was a master of the dark arts.

I would have thought that it was December 1969 game because Frank was subbed in that game and although he started one more game for us two weeks later he was subbed in that one too.

He remained at ITFC until joining Halifax in October 1971.
RIP Frank Brogan on 15:47 - May 4 with 1291 viewsBeckets

RIP Frank Brogan on 15:41 - May 4 by PJH

I would have thought that it was December 1969 game because Frank was subbed in that game and although he started one more game for us two weeks later he was subbed in that one too.

He remained at ITFC until joining Halifax in October 1971.

Thanks for clarifying. As people have said it looks like that effectively ended his career in the top flight.
RIP Frank Brogan on 16:56 - May 4 with 1239 viewsThe_Last_Baron

RIP Frank Brogan on 15:22 - May 4 by monty_radio

I remember it as when Town were kicking the other way. If that's an accurate memory, and it is that particular game, then it happened in the half that wasn't shown.

The Big Match only showed the first half, with Town kicking to the North Stand, so your memory sounds spot on.

RIP Frank Brogan on 17:20 - May 4 with 1214 viewsPJH

RIP Frank Brogan on 16:56 - May 4 by The_Last_Baron

The Big Match only showed the first half, with Town kicking to the North Stand, so your memory sounds spot on.

I remember the Gilzean tackle on Brogan being with Brogan running towards the North Stand.
RIP Frank Brogan on 17:23 - May 4 with 1207 viewsnshearman1

A great player, one of my first heroes, made me want to play on the wing. He and Danny Hegan visited my school in 1966 and coached us a bit, really good guy.
RIP Frank Brogan on 19:09 - May 4 with 1144 viewsbrogansnose

My grandfather and father used to take me to Ipswich and it was thankfully pre-ordained that I would support Ipswich as it was in turn for my son, but Frank Brogan made me fall in love with the Towen.

RIP Frank.
RIP Frank Brogan on 21:36 - May 4 with 1048 viewsrfretwell

RIP Frank Brogan on 19:09 - May 4 by brogansnose

My grandfather and father used to take me to Ipswich and it was thankfully pre-ordained that I would support Ipswich as it was in turn for my son, but Frank Brogan made me fall in love with the Towen.

RIP Frank.

Great to see Frank and the lads in action, thanks. Can anyone let me know how to save that video on my Windows laptop?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024