Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SN15 launch 07:37 - May 6 with 578 viewsStokieBlue

SpaceX managed to land Starship:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57004604

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

SN15 launch on 08:30 - May 6 with 534 viewsSteve_M

In other space news, I see Nasa has extended the mission profile of the Mars helicopter as the trials have proved so successful.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

SN15 launch on 08:37 - May 6 with 530 viewsbluelagos

Go to exactly 6 mins on that video, and tell me they aren't having a laugh with the design of said rocket :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

SN15 launch on 10:33 - May 6 with 487 viewsSteve_M

There's an FT piece on Bezos's Blue Origin rocket here:

https://www.ft.com/content/7bc1c0c2-3e54-4dc0-89ca-828ff57e82ca?emailId=60936f71

Paywalled I'm afraid but sharing for anyone who can read it. Still more hype than substance compared to Musk at the moment but the direction is the same.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

SN15 launch on 10:37 - May 6 with 480 viewsStokieBlue

SN15 launch on 10:33 - May 6 by Steve_M

There's an FT piece on Bezos's Blue Origin rocket here:

https://www.ft.com/content/7bc1c0c2-3e54-4dc0-89ca-828ff57e82ca?emailId=60936f71

Paywalled I'm afraid but sharing for anyone who can read it. Still more hype than substance compared to Musk at the moment but the direction is the same.

They are about 5-7 years behind SpaceX I would say but they are looking at the same goals. Only the private companies are trying to go reusable (see NASA's SLS system) and eventually I expect the private companies to do all the launches and NASA to focus on scientific probes and instruments.

SB

SN15 launch on 13:07 - May 6 with 439 viewsstonojnr

SN15 launch on 10:37 - May 6 by StokieBlue

They are about 5-7 years behind SpaceX I would say but they are looking at the same goals. Only the private companies are trying to go reusable (see NASA's SLS system) and eventually I expect the private companies to do all the launches and NASA to focus on scientific probes and instruments.

SB

Blue Origin arent planning to go to Mars, yet, their purpose is to make access to space cheaper, Starship is all about putting humans to live on Mars,the steps needed to get there result in cheaper access to space and reusable rockets that can shift massive amounts of payload to orbit.

SLS is several years late, and been in design long before reusable boosters capable of landing, and Falcon 9 is tiny compared to the SLS core stage,only SpaceX super heavy booster compares in size and that hasnt even made it out of the construction building yet and Musk is still talking about crazy schemes to catch it in freefall rather than have it land, have only been proven as viable tech in the past 5 years.

So SLS may become NASAs last owned rocket design,but dont write it off just because it's not reusable, you cant relight Shuttle engines, so youd have had to invent like SpaceX have done a brand new rocket engine which is capable of that which fundamentally changes the whole design and because its public money NASA dont get to keep launching these things till it gets it right, so they went with proven technology that they knew worked and integrated for human launch capability

So when SLS launches either in November or by April next year, its expected to work 1st time.

But when super heavy booster launches in July,which is the target but likely to be November to April also, i dont think anyone would volunteer to sit in a capsule on top of it
SN15 launch on 13:16 - May 6 with 432 viewsStokieBlue

SN15 launch on 13:07 - May 6 by stonojnr

Blue Origin arent planning to go to Mars, yet, their purpose is to make access to space cheaper, Starship is all about putting humans to live on Mars,the steps needed to get there result in cheaper access to space and reusable rockets that can shift massive amounts of payload to orbit.

SLS is several years late, and been in design long before reusable boosters capable of landing, and Falcon 9 is tiny compared to the SLS core stage,only SpaceX super heavy booster compares in size and that hasnt even made it out of the construction building yet and Musk is still talking about crazy schemes to catch it in freefall rather than have it land, have only been proven as viable tech in the past 5 years.

So SLS may become NASAs last owned rocket design,but dont write it off just because it's not reusable, you cant relight Shuttle engines, so youd have had to invent like SpaceX have done a brand new rocket engine which is capable of that which fundamentally changes the whole design and because its public money NASA dont get to keep launching these things till it gets it right, so they went with proven technology that they knew worked and integrated for human launch capability

So when SLS launches either in November or by April next year, its expected to work 1st time.

But when super heavy booster launches in July,which is the target but likely to be November to April also, i dont think anyone would volunteer to sit in a capsule on top of it

A few points:

- I should have been clearer, I meant low Earth orbit payloads rather than Mars. Blue Origin are about 5 years behind the Falcon 9 which works pretty much every time with regards to landing (including on ships).

- I didn't compare the SLS to the Falcon 9, the direct comparison is Starship with the Super Heavy (which is actually bigger) but as you say, that is still being designed. However when/if it works it doesn't seem likely NASA will rely on the SLS anymore - the difference in costs will be massive and as a government agency they need to save money where they can. I believe they will be able to get 4 or more Super Heavy launches for the cost of a single SLS launch.

- Nobody is going to be sitting on top of the SLS for a while either, it won't be rated for human use for a good few launches.

- Starship is going to be the basis of the lunar landing craft, NASA gave them the contract last week so I guess NASA are hopeful the technology will work.

Overall it's exciting times with regards to Space tech. Hopefully the SLS will work perfectly and provide the lifting capacity required to make the lunar gateway until the Super Heavy works.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024