Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Portman road upgrades 07:52 - May 6 with 5931 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Folllwing the thread about capacity, what realistic upgrades do people expect (or want) to see this summer? My guess would be something along the lines of

Video scoreboard between south and cobbold
Electronic advertising boards (at least on cobbold stand side for tv cameras to pick up)
CONTACTLESS PAYMENT
General lick of paint
Some different food options (albeit not worlds apart from what we have now)
Potentially an improved dug out area although that might involve moving ST holders which doesn’t seem on the cards

Wonder what the future of the fan zone is until the new community hub is built?
Portman road upgrades on 07:58 - May 6 with 3526 viewsBluefish

Can't be many things less important than a video scoreboard

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Portman road upgrades on 08:00 - May 6 with 3520 viewsGeoffSentence

Pop up sprinklers so we don't have to run a hose out to the bogs.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Portman road upgrades on 08:00 - May 6 with 3514 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Portman road upgrades on 07:58 - May 6 by Bluefish

Can't be many things less important than a video scoreboard

Living in hope that we actually have some highlights to show on it next season.....
Portman road upgrades on 08:01 - May 6 with 3517 viewstrncbluearmy

two jobs just to show progress and to make a start

sort out the visible faded Town badges on the outside of the stand
get rid of the peeling plastic backing on the Cobbold windows

both look awful both are cheap and easy to fix, show some pride in the club
Portman road upgrades on 08:01 - May 6 with 3514 viewsPinewoodblue

Would have thought a fan zone was something they would have introduced, if we didn’t already have one.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Portman road upgrades on 08:02 - May 6 with 3499 viewsCoco

Portman road upgrades on 08:00 - May 6 by GeoffSentence

Nicer bogs

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Portman road upgrades on 08:03 - May 6 with 3496 viewsGeoffSentence

Portman road upgrades on 08:02 - May 6 by Coco

Nicer bogs

Bidets?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Portman road upgrades on 08:04 - May 6 with 3499 viewsBluespeed225

This. That pebble bt the west Stand boils my p*ss. Lights in Cobbold Stand under the eaves in PR, as they did in 2000, looked great. Just sort the beer. Get lads walking round under North with those back pack beer things on. Buy a token at a counter, can be used at other games if you don’t drink it on the day.
Login to get fewer ads

Portman road upgrades on 08:17 - May 6 with 3422 viewsChurchman

For this season:
The football ground cleaned and routine cleaning instigated.
Paint the visible bits.
Remove peeling stuff on windows and replace anything broken.
Replace the faded badges.
Retrain the staff, not just the caterers, in customer service, give them decent uniforms and pay them. They are the face of Ipswich Town and should be treated as such.
Set out a plan for continuous ground improvements over the next 5 years including the replacement of the Portman (East) Stand and better use of the space behind the Co-op (West) stand.
Portman road upgrades on 08:29 - May 6 with 3353 viewsSitfcB

That would be part of the upgrade to the pitch, £1,000,000/1,500,000 estimated cost. Could get done when we get promoted I suppose.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Portman road upgrades on 08:41 - May 6 with 3271 viewshype313

Lick of paint
Contactless
Decent Beer
Burger and Beyond cart in the Fanzone
Live PA by Morrissey.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Portman road upgrades on 08:43 - May 6 with 3247 viewsKeno

Naturists enclosure in the Churchmans

It seems to be where all the knobs hang out anyway

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Portman road upgrades on 08:43 - May 6 with 3245 viewsPinewoodblue

Portman road upgrades on 08:41 - May 6 by hype313

Lick of paint
Contactless
Decent Beer
Burger and Beyond cart in the Fanzone
Live PA by Morrissey.

A proper fan zone, US style, will have a wide selection of food outlets.

2023 year of destiny

Portman road upgrades on 08:45 - May 6 with 3224 viewshype313

Portman road upgrades on 08:43 - May 6 by Pinewoodblue

A proper fan zone, US style, will have a wide selection of food outlets.

Small steps and all...

Portman road upgrades on 08:48 - May 6 with 3203 viewsSWGF

There was talk of a big screen, previously, but the location proved problematic. As you say, the logical place for it is in the corner between Churchmans and Cobbold. However they didn't go through with it before (in part) due to those who sit in Churchmans (and would have the worse view of it) would be the ones who'd moan about not being able to see it. It was also costly, obviously.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Portman road upgrades on 08:49 - May 6 with 3179 viewsBluefish

Portman road upgrades on 08:43 - May 6 by Keno

Naturists enclosure in the Churchmans

It seems to be where all the knobs hang out anyway

Bloots is heading that up, you possibly didn't notice

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Portman road upgrades on 08:50 - May 6 with 3182 viewsPinewoodblue

Portman road upgrades on 08:48 - May 6 by SWGF

There was talk of a big screen, previously, but the location proved problematic. As you say, the logical place for it is in the corner between Churchmans and Cobbold. However they didn't go through with it before (in part) due to those who sit in Churchmans (and would have the worse view of it) would be the ones who'd moan about not being able to see it. It was also costly, obviously.

Would also annoy away fans

2023 year of destiny

Portman road upgrades on 08:53 - May 6 with 3145 viewsSWGF

Portman road upgrades on 08:50 - May 6 by Pinewoodblue

Would also annoy away fans

Although less likely to write a strongly-worded letter referencing the Cobbolds.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?

Portman road upgrades on 08:59 - May 6 with 3099 viewsSWGF

Portman road upgrades on 08:45 - May 6 by hype313

Small steps and all...

They did have various different food vans in the Fanzone but it wasn't viable for the suppliers (once their pitch-fee was taken into account) as not enough people used them. I did have a great goat curry in their once.

Portman road upgrades on 09:05 - May 6 with 3059 viewshype313

Portman road upgrades on 08:59 - May 6 by SWGF

They did have various different food vans in the Fanzone but it wasn't viable for the suppliers (once their pitch-fee was taken into account) as not enough people used them. I did have a great goat curry in their once.

I'd like to think the new owners would look in more depth and detail in how to make it more attractive, affordable etc and to be fair they do have experience in the whole match day event, and whilst I'm keen on what they do, the whole mindset of fans will have to change from having a couple of beers in the Greyhound before a stroll down to the ground at 2.50.

Making it far more child friendly would be a bonus, get down there for 12, let the kids run riot, enjoy a few beers and burger and the wife can go to a spa for the afternoon, win win.

Obviously January/Feb might be a little harder to attract people outside...

Portman road upgrades on 09:11 - May 6 with 3033 viewsPhilTWTD

Screen and dugouts are things I can definitely see happening sooner rather than later as well as some of the other stuff. Obviously a screen or two can help improve ad revenue, pre-match stuff. Another one would be good in the FanZone as well.
Portman road upgrades on 09:22 - May 6 with 2920 viewsSWGF

Portman road upgrades on 09:05 - May 6 by hype313

I'd like to think the new owners would look in more depth and detail in how to make it more attractive, affordable etc and to be fair they do have experience in the whole match day event, and whilst I'm keen on what they do, the whole mindset of fans will have to change from having a couple of beers in the Greyhound before a stroll down to the ground at 2.50.

Making it far more child friendly would be a bonus, get down there for 12, let the kids run riot, enjoy a few beers and burger and the wife can go to a spa for the afternoon, win win.

Obviously January/Feb might be a little harder to attract people outside...

I think the FanZone, in general, has been a great success and a good, unexpected, revenue stream for the Club. It is generally used exactly as you say (weather permitting, again, as you say) but can, obviously, be improved upon. It's a big space.

Portman road upgrades on 09:28 - May 6 with 2876 viewsPinewoodblue

Portman road upgrades on 09:22 - May 6 by SWGF

I think the FanZone, in general, has been a great success and a good, unexpected, revenue stream for the Club. It is generally used exactly as you say (weather permitting, again, as you say) but can, obviously, be improved upon. It's a big space.

An asset few clubs have.

2023 year of destiny

Portman road upgrades on 09:36 - May 6 with 2814 viewsSouperJim

A slightly classier solution to the drafty stand design mess at the back lower north than a series of grotty, mostly yellow, tarpaulins.

A PA system that can actually be heard in all 4 stands, rather than the second hand one in the lower north which was installed and turned on just once before they realised it was completely unfit for purpose.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Portman road upgrades on 09:44 - May 6 with 2782 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Portman road upgrades on 08:48 - May 6 by SWGF

Not surprised people would complain, but ultimately the Britania and North Stands are always the most populated so surely it’s fairest to make sure those stands have the best view of it. I’m sure other clubs have this same problem. If we splashed out on two, the only other real space for another is on top of the security office above the tunnel... cue moaning from the south stand!

Costly yes, but I’d imagine it would pay for itself over a few years with increased ad revenue. Think what Hawk express could have on the screen every time we get a corner....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024