Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Twtd local councillors 17:24 - May 6 with 2575 viewsbluelagos

So aside from Glassers, has anyone else ever stood for parish or local councils? How'd you get on?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Twtd local councillors on 17:29 - May 6 with 2396 viewsKesgrave_Exile

I am standing in the IBC and SCC elections today but as a paper candidate.
Twtd local councillors on 17:31 - May 6 with 2390 viewsbluelagos

Twtd local councillors on 17:29 - May 6 by Kesgrave_Exile

What is a paper candidate? Which party (if you are happy to say)

Twtd local councillors on 17:32 - May 6 with 2386 viewsfooters

Twtd local councillors on 17:31 - May 6 by bluelagos

Essentially someone with little chance of winning given previous voting records in that area.

Like when I stood for the Communist Party of Great Britain in Lowestoft.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Twtd local councillors on 17:33 - May 6 with 2377 viewsbluelagos

Twtd local councillors on 17:32 - May 6 by footers

Essentially someone with little chance of winning given previous voting records in that area.

So like pretty much every non tory who stands in Suffolk at a general election? (Ipswich aside)

Twtd local councillors on 17:36 - May 6 with 2366 viewsfooters

Twtd local councillors on 17:33 - May 6 by bluelagos

So like pretty much every non tory who stands in Suffolk at a general election? (Ipswich aside)

Exactly. We did have Bob Blizzard in Waveney for a while but that was during the New Labour honeymoon period, IIRC.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Twtd local councillors on 17:45 - May 6 with 2341 viewsbluelagos

Twtd local councillors on 17:36 - May 6 by footers

Exactly. We did have Bob Blizzard in Waveney for a while but that was during the New Labour honeymoon period, IIRC.

My mate who used to say to me "Don't vote, it only encourages them".

But I always do. Not sure why tbh.

Twtd local councillors on 17:47 - May 6 with 2328 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

A line from The Blood Donor springs to mind, "Bloo_Right. You_Bloo_Right. Twice candidate for the County Council elections (defeated). Hon Sec of the British Legion, Earls Court branch, treasurer of the darts team and the outings committee."

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Twtd local councillors on 19:28 - May 6 with 2263 viewsfactual_blue

Twtd local councillors on 17:29 - May 6 by Kesgrave_Exile

I think you got my vote in the SCC election.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Twtd local councillors on 19:33 - May 6 with 2244 viewsfactual_blue

Twtd local councillors on 17:36 - May 6 by footers

When he was MP and went to visit our officer in Lowestoft, I tried to persuade the manager to assemble the ladies surnamed Sleet and Snow from the wider team to be taken over to Lowestoft for an excellent photo op.

One of those two charming ladies was a former girlfriend of Graham Poll.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Twtd local councillors on 19:37 - May 6 with 2236 viewsEdwardStone

I stood for election as a District Councillor on 4 occasions, County Councillor 3 times

And Parliament twice

All times for the Greens

All times unsuccessful
Twtd local councillors on 19:51 - May 6 with 2222 viewslightuser

Twtd local councillors on 17:47 - May 6 by You_Bloo_Right

A line from The Blood Donor springs to mind, "Bloo_Right. You_Bloo_Right. Twice candidate for the County Council elections (defeated). Hon Sec of the British Legion, Earls Court branch, treasurer of the darts team and the outings committee."

I know that back in the day gays were disliked. But to have a separate commitee to "deal" with them was a bit harsh. Shirley nothing to be proud of? -:))
Twtd local councillors on 20:26 - May 6 with 2185 viewsblueislander

Twtd local councillors on 19:51 - May 6 by lightuser

I know that back in the day gays were disliked. But to have a separate commitee to "deal" with them was a bit harsh. Shirley nothing to be proud of? -:))

In the 70s my D ad was an Ipswich Town councilor.
Twtd local councillors on 21:43 - May 6 with 2135 viewsHARRY10

What actual day are you talking about ?

and I don't think you could refer to criminalising homosexuals as those folk being 'disliked'
Twtd local councillors on 22:14 - May 6 with 2107 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Twtd local councillors on 21:43 - May 6 by HARRY10

What actual day are you talking about ?

and I don't think you could refer to criminalising homosexuals as those folk being 'disliked'

Looks like it was a pun on the word "outings".
Twtd local councillors on 22:20 - May 6 with 2095 viewscressi

Twtd local councillors on 17:32 - May 6 by footers

I'm Town and District councillor and not a Tory in blue suffolk tonight I'm standing in the county, but if I had the guarantee of Town getting promoted and us fans going into a new fantastic era I would accept defeat and I hate losing
Twtd local councillors on 22:41 - May 6 with 2064 viewsSwansea_Blue

I got it. You have to excuse some of this lot, they can be a bit slow on the uptake

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Twtd local councillors on 08:05 - May 7 with 1983 viewslightuser

Twtd local councillors on 22:41 - May 6 by Swansea_Blue

I got it. You have to excuse some of this lot, they can be a bit slow on the uptake

lol.

Cheers Swansea Blue. Too subtle for some, but no offence intended.

Me bad. -:))
Twtd local councillors on 09:48 - May 7 with 1942 viewsbluelagos

Twtd local councillors on 08:05 - May 7 by lightuser

lol.

Cheers Swansea Blue. Too subtle for some, but no offence intended.

Me bad. -:))

Yesterday we had a few posts that went completely over the head of a few posters.

Twtd local councillors on 10:10 - May 7 with 1912 viewsTieDyedIn95

Twtd local councillors on 17:31 - May 6 by bluelagos

Someone who shouldn't be on the ballot that often helps the incumbent win by hoovering up votes that might have swung it in favour of the opposition, just because that party feels the need to put someone up. Makes a joke of the whole point of voting for a local person to represent your local interests above and beyond the rosette.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Twtd local councillors on 10:41 - May 7 with 1899 viewsEdwardStone

Twtd local councillors on 10:10 - May 7 by TieDyedIn95

Someone who shouldn't be on the ballot that often helps the incumbent win by hoovering up votes that might have swung it in favour of the opposition, just because that party feels the need to put someone up. Makes a joke of the whole point of voting for a local person to represent your local interests above and beyond the rosette.

I'm not sure that there is ever a candidate that "shouldn't be on the ballot", presuming that they are eligible to stand

Paper candidates actually serve a purpose....they can assist a Party in assessing their level of support in a certain Ward, thus allowing for better targeting. They can bring forward new volunteers and new members to get involved in politics; they can also capture the votes of the disillusioned who have got firm political views but no candidate to represent them

I agree that that might split the vote, but that can also have a bigger effect on the future direction of travel for Parties eg the Tory lunge to the right to nullify the Brexit Party threat
Twtd local councillors on 11:01 - May 7 with 1871 viewsTieDyedIn95

Twtd local councillors on 10:41 - May 7 by EdwardStone

I'm not sure that there is ever a candidate that "shouldn't be on the ballot", presuming that they are eligible to stand

Paper candidates actually serve a purpose....they can assist a Party in assessing their level of support in a certain Ward, thus allowing for better targeting. They can bring forward new volunteers and new members to get involved in politics; they can also capture the votes of the disillusioned who have got firm political views but no candidate to represent them

I agree that that might split the vote, but that can also have a bigger effect on the future direction of travel for Parties eg the Tory lunge to the right to nullify the Brexit Party threat

They serve the purpose of getting people elected who probably wouldn't had they not stood and taken the votes in many cases.

Also the Brexit Party no longer exists, so that's good.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Twtd local councillors on 11:03 - May 7 with 1867 viewsKesgrave_Exile

Twtd local councillors on 19:28 - May 6 by factual_blue

I think you got my vote in the SCC election.

Which ward are you in Factual?
Twtd local councillors on 12:58 - May 7 with 1827 viewsjeera

Twtd local councillors on 11:03 - May 7 by Kesgrave_Exile

Which ward are you in Factual?

G4 I think possibly.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Twtd local councillors on 13:40 - May 7 with 1805 viewsKesgrave_Exile

Twtd local councillors on 12:58 - May 7 by jeera

G4 I think possibly.

G4?
Twtd local councillors on 13:47 - May 7 with 1792 viewsVic

Twtd local councillors on 13:40 - May 7 by Kesgrave_Exile

G4?

It’s a hospital gag - the name of the ward!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024