Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gill's gone then 10:35 - May 7 with 4806 viewsSteve_M

Most successful manager this season mind....

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Gill's gone then on 12:36 - May 7 with 1466 viewschicoazul

Gill's gone then on 10:59 - May 7 by itfcjoe

I do think there is an issue with Gary Roberts - a senior player who has been around the lower leagues and has taken no coaching badges or seemingly shown any interest in it even when playing part time, and from what I hear around the place has been a rabbit in headlights.

People talk about not wanting sentimentality and Chambers/Skuse to stay as coaches, and needing to do it on best person available - those 2 are much more qualified than Roberts, and been doing badges every summer. Skuse coaching academy teams, coaching Woodbridge Town youth sides, watching nearly every 18/23 game he can get to in evenings.

I'm not saying they should stay, and think clean break probably right - but those who don't want them to stay because not qualified etc should be looking at Roberts compared to what else is out there.

from what I hear around the place has been a rabbit in headlights.

Oh great, we’re back at “who does this guy think he is” again are we?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Gill's gone then on 12:43 - May 7 with 1438 viewsPlums

Gill's gone then on 11:29 - May 7 by itfcjoe

It feels like Cook just needed one of his guys to have a beer with and chew the fat with - which I get and understand and makes sense - but there must be someone who has shown more ambition and dedication for that role

Was he intended to be his dressing room enforcer or not even as focussed as that? Or perhaps just a liaison role badged as coach?

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Gill's gone then on 12:47 - May 7 with 1417 viewsitfcjoe

Gill's gone then on 12:36 - May 7 by chicoazul

from what I hear around the place has been a rabbit in headlights.

Oh great, we’re back at “who does this guy think he is” again are we?

That’s not from players, and most of those going now anyway so people not rating him far less of an issue than if he turns out to be not very good

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Gill's gone then on 12:48 - May 7 with 1411 viewsMrTown

I do think there is an issue with Gary Roberts - a senior player who has been around the lower leagues and has taken no coaching badges or seemingly shown any interest in it even when playing part time, and from what I hear around the place has been a rabbit in headlights.

People talk about not wanting sentimentality and Chambers/Skuse to stay as coaches, and needing to do it on best person available - those 2 are much more qualified than Roberts, and been doing badges every summer. Skuse coaching academy teams, coaching Woodbridge Town youth sides, watching nearly every 18/23 game he can get to in evenings.

I'm not saying they should stay, and think clean break probably right - but those who don't want them to stay because not qualified etc should be looking at Roberts compared to what else is out there.

Why is Gary Roberts a rabbit in the headlights? What does that even mean. There is nothing to really back that up, looks like a throw away comment to me.

Roberts was brought in by Cook as his assistant, but the plan was to get Leam Richardson in as well as the senior assistant with Roberts learning from them.

It is not uncommon for managers to bring in players they have worked with and trust after their career finishes. Badges or not, Cook knows him and will have seen what he could offer to the table. The plan isn't for him to be the senior assistant, and never was.

Ex Town player is coming in soon enough anyway.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 12:49]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Gill's gone then on 12:59 - May 7 with 1353 viewschrismakin

Gill's gone then on 12:48 - May 7 by MrTown

Why is Gary Roberts a rabbit in the headlights? What does that even mean. There is nothing to really back that up, looks like a throw away comment to me.

Roberts was brought in by Cook as his assistant, but the plan was to get Leam Richardson in as well as the senior assistant with Roberts learning from them.

It is not uncommon for managers to bring in players they have worked with and trust after their career finishes. Badges or not, Cook knows him and will have seen what he could offer to the table. The plan isn't for him to be the senior assistant, and never was.

Also, despite his lack of coaching badges, or higher league experiences

He could still whip a ball in better than any of our other players, so it'll be a bit rich for any of them to make any comments on him.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Gill's gone then on 13:14 - May 7 with 1338 viewsPhilTWTD

Gill's gone then on 11:16 - May 7 by Cheltenham_Blue

Not sure why some seem surprised at this.

There needs to be a complete change of culture at the club, Gill is very much part of the old culture, along with a lot of staff yet to be let go.

I'm not sure 'speaking well' or 'seeming nice' should save any of them.

Was always going to happen, his contract is up at the end of the season. Assume the thinking was that the likes of him would stay to the end of the deals and then Cook would appoint his own men, unless they'd really impressed him. That he's been here to virtually the end rather than being shown the door earlier shows he was positively viewed to some degree, even if PC now wants to bring his own people in.
Gill's gone then on 13:31 - May 7 with 1283 viewsKieran_Knows

I get the impression Roberts role might change this summer, if Cook does bring in 2/3 of his own men.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Gill's gone then on 13:47 - May 7 with 1236 viewsMrTown

Gill's gone then on 13:31 - May 7 by Kieran_Knows

I get the impression Roberts role might change this summer, if Cook does bring in 2/3 of his own men.

That was always the plan with Gary. He knew that come the summer Cook wanted to bring in Leam Richardson as his right hand man, and Gary would be a part of that coaching team.

Circumstance change all the time in football, you have to be prepared for that. Cook going down a different avenue now.

Login to get fewer ads

Gill's gone then on 13:52 - May 7 with 1223 viewsBluefish

Gill's gone then on 11:36 - May 7 by clive_baker

I think it's as much about change for the sake of change as anything else, and it would be hard to disagree with that IMO. It's less a reflection on Gill and Roberts' respective abilities I would say, and more an attempt to freshen things up. Was it Henry Ford that said "If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got". It's the same for Chambers & Skuse, no doubt they could be good coaches elsewhere, but I think Cook wants a tangible and palpable reset, and there will be some collateral damage in that, and there needs to be. Had Gill been at Bristol City for the past 2.5 years he would probably have been a shoo-in.

Coaching badges are a start, but they alone don't prepare you for coaching, especially adults. It's as much about how you use the information and get ideas across in the real world. Your anecdotal feedback on Roberts is interesting though. Hopefully if that is the case then Cook recognises it and brings in some experience to support, someone with a few grey hairs on their head.

It was Mark twain..........according to one of the walls in my workplace
[Post edited 7 May 2021 13:53]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Gill's gone then on 13:55 - May 7 with 1223 viewsunstableblue

Cook clearly stated that it will be he and Robert’s working with Rolls over the summer.

So I think he’s staying. Not surprised on the rabbit in headlights comment, he looks like that on match day on iFollow.

My hope is an assistant manager is coming in with some real technical/tactical strength. We need it desperately.

As for Skuse / Chambo - we need a complete and clean break. They are a constant through a very mediocre period in our history, and whilst I really like the guys. Chambo has many off days, and is leading a team that hasn’t look bothered. Similarly when Skuse grabbed games we won... but those real tenacious performances were like 1 in 5, 1 in 10 even!!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Gill's gone then on 13:59 - May 7 with 1212 viewstractorboy1978

Gill's gone then on 13:55 - May 7 by unstableblue

Cook clearly stated that it will be he and Robert’s working with Rolls over the summer.

So I think he’s staying. Not surprised on the rabbit in headlights comment, he looks like that on match day on iFollow.

My hope is an assistant manager is coming in with some real technical/tactical strength. We need it desperately.

As for Skuse / Chambo - we need a complete and clean break. They are a constant through a very mediocre period in our history, and whilst I really like the guys. Chambo has many off days, and is leading a team that hasn’t look bothered. Similarly when Skuse grabbed games we won... but those real tenacious performances were like 1 in 5, 1 in 10 even!!

McGreal innit.
Gill's gone then on 14:01 - May 7 with 1209 viewsPhilTWTD

Gill's gone then on 11:32 - May 7 by Steve_M

Yeah, Noel Hunt seemed a better candidate at the time for that.

Don't rule out Noel Hunt coming in in the summer. Have continued to hear whispers and he was at the Northampton match recently.
Gill's gone then on 14:07 - May 7 with 1178 viewsCoco

Gill's gone then on 12:48 - May 7 by MrTown

standard reactionary comment with zero substance.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Gill's gone then on 14:10 - May 7 with 1175 viewsunstableblue

Gill's gone then on 13:59 - May 7 by tractorboy1978

McGreal innit.

Is a 38% win ratio good? As Colchester manager

But certainly sounds like he’d fit cooks style:

McGreal has a reputation for playing "attacking, free-flowing" football with a "fluid 4—2—3—1 system". He is able to work alongside a director of football or head of recruitment and work with and develop a young squad.

Gill's gone then on 14:17 - May 7 with 1161 viewstractorboy1978

Gill's gone then on 14:10 - May 7 by unstableblue

McGreal has a reputation for playing "attacking, free-flowing" football with a "fluid 4—2—3—1 system". He is able to work alongside a director of football or head of recruitment and work with and develop a young squad.

In L1, I'd say it's pretty rare you get an AM in with over 200 managed games under his belt. Experienced, knows Cook and did a decent job at Colchester (as their performance this season perhaps attests).

Not long ago people wanted McGreal to be the manager here.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 14:18]
Gill's gone then on 14:21 - May 7 with 1154 viewsunstableblue

Gill's gone then on 14:17 - May 7 by tractorboy1978

In L1, I'd say it's pretty rare you get an AM in with over 200 managed games under his belt. Experienced, knows Cook and did a decent job at Colchester (as their performance this season perhaps attests).

Not long ago people wanted McGreal to be the manager here.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 14:18]

I’m now convinced - WE MUST HAVE HIM

Gill's gone then on 14:41 - May 7 with 1118 viewsitfcjoe

Gill's gone then on 14:10 - May 7 by unstableblue

I think looking at Col U over the years, compared to them now he is gone, and budget was going down each year he was doing a very understated job there. Excellent cup record too which is huge at a club that size

He's someone who I understand has been sought after to be a manager elsewhere, but sees this as a better opportunity - whether it comes off who knows.....sometimes it takes a manager leaving for us outsiders to understand the job they were doing

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Gill's gone then on 15:37 - May 7 with 1047 viewsMrTown

Gill's gone then on 14:07 - May 7 by Coco

standard reactionary comment with zero substance.

What are waffling on about now.

Gill's gone then on 18:54 - May 7 with 949 viewsunstableblue

Gill's gone then on 14:41 - May 7 by itfcjoe

I think looking at Col U over the years, compared to them now he is gone, and budget was going down each year he was doing a very understated job there. Excellent cup record too which is huge at a club that size

He's someone who I understand has been sought after to be a manager elsewhere, but sees this as a better opportunity - whether it comes off who knows.....sometimes it takes a manager leaving for us outsiders to understand the job they were doing

Yes I’d forgotten about that cup run...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024