Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gill's gone then 10:35 - May 7 with 4814 viewsSteve_M

Most successful manager this season mind....

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Gill's gone then on 10:37 - May 7 with 3301 viewsitfcjoe

Inevitable really, has been for some time

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Gill's gone then on 10:38 - May 7 with 3238 viewssaffers12

Gill's gone then on 10:37 - May 7 by itfcjoe

I liked him from what I could/see an assess

Shame though and do hope he gets sorted and progresses with his career
Gill's gone then on 10:40 - May 7 with 3222 viewsSteve_M

Gill's gone then on 10:37 - May 7 by itfcjoe

Yes, I think so. Does this open up a role with the first team for Dyer given that there will be at least one incoming?

Gill is the only one of Lambert's management team to enhance his reputation here so sure he'll find something somewhere.

Gill's gone then on 10:41 - May 7 with 3177 viewsrfretwell

Gill's gone then on 10:38 - May 7 by saffers12

Paid the price for poor squad fitness. O'Neill next.
(No subject) (n/t) on 10:42 - May 7 with 3168 viewsrfretwell

Gill's gone then on 10:38 - May 7 by saffers12

Gill's gone then on 10:43 - May 7 with 3139 viewsJDB23

Good to hear, big part of a coaching setup that for 2 years produced a team that looked like it was never coached.
Gill's gone then on 10:49 - May 7 with 3015 viewshadleighboyblue

Gill's gone then on 10:40 - May 7 by Steve_M

Yes, I think so. Does this open up a role with the first team for Dyer given that there will be at least one incoming?

Gill is the only one of Lambert's management team to enhance his reputation here so sure he'll find something somewhere.

Dyer came across very well in post match interview and the fact that PC put him forward for interview must mean he trusts him . He has been around the 1st team lately .

PC needs to find an assistant that he can trust and get on well with , if he thinks KD is up to doing that job ............just trust PC to do the right thing for him and the club
Gill's gone then on 10:54 - May 7 with 2931 viewsstopmoaning

It seems a shame, as he spoke well - but who knows really what he is like as a coach in training etc, and if there is someone else better out there who is more suited.
Login to get fewer ads

Gill's gone then on 10:56 - May 7 with 2891 viewsTieDyedIn95

I did wonder why EADT spouted all that about how it was a smart move for the club to be keeping Lamberts staff to enable continuity after Cook was appointed, I actually like Gill, despite him being an ex-Nodger, he's one of the best things Lambert did for the club but there was no way he was going to be here as part of a continuity plan as the EADT made out.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Gill's gone then on 10:58 - May 7 with 2869 viewstractorboy1978

Gill's gone then on 10:56 - May 7 by TieDyedIn95

I did wonder why EADT spouted all that about how it was a smart move for the club to be keeping Lamberts staff to enable continuity after Cook was appointed, I actually like Gill, despite him being an ex-Nodger, he's one of the best things Lambert did for the club but there was no way he was going to be here as part of a continuity plan as the EADT made out.

I don't think the EADT ever suggested he'd be here beyond the end of the season?
Gill's gone then on 10:59 - May 7 with 2865 viewsitfcjoe

Gill's gone then on 10:40 - May 7 by Steve_M

I do think there is an issue with Gary Roberts - a senior player who has been around the lower leagues and has taken no coaching badges or seemingly shown any interest in it even when playing part time, and from what I hear around the place has been a rabbit in headlights.

People talk about not wanting sentimentality and Chambers/Skuse to stay as coaches, and needing to do it on best person available - those 2 are much more qualified than Roberts, and been doing badges every summer. Skuse coaching academy teams, coaching Woodbridge Town youth sides, watching nearly every 18/23 game he can get to in evenings.

I'm not saying they should stay, and think clean break probably right - but those who don't want them to stay because not qualified etc should be looking at Roberts compared to what else is out there.

Gill's gone then on 11:07 - May 7 with 2778 viewsTieDyedIn95

Gill's gone then on 10:58 - May 7 by tractorboy1978

I don't think the EADT ever suggested he'd be here beyond the end of the season?

I remember seeing them talking about how it made sense to keep Gill and co and just change the manager. I thought at the time it was a bit detached to think that was happening.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Gill's gone then on 11:15 - May 7 with 2698 viewsFreddies_Ears

If we're swapping out Gill to bring in Jeffers then I despair.
Gill's gone then on 11:16 - May 7 with 2692 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Not sure why some seem surprised at this.

There needs to be a complete change of culture at the club, Gill is very much part of the old culture, along with a lot of staff yet to be let go.

I'm not sure 'speaking well' or 'seeming nice' should save any of them.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Gill's gone then on 11:22 - May 7 with 2650 viewsElephantintheRoom

Gill's gone then on 10:59 - May 7 by itfcjoe

I do think there is an issue with Gary Roberts - a senior player who has been around the lower leagues and has taken no coaching badges or seemingly shown any interest in it even when playing part time, and from what I hear around the place has been a rabbit in headlights.

People talk about not wanting sentimentality and Chambers/Skuse to stay as coaches, and needing to do it on best person available - those 2 are much more qualified than Roberts, and been doing badges every summer. Skuse coaching academy teams, coaching Woodbridge Town youth sides, watching nearly every 18/23 game he can get to in evenings.

I'm not saying they should stay, and think clean break probably right - but those who don't want them to stay because not qualified etc should be looking at Roberts compared to what else is out there.

Skuse and Chambers have clearly got what it takes to succeed in football management in my humble opinion - and might have made a better choice than Lambert when it all went pear-shaped.

I also suspect that they'd be much better off seeking a fresh start at a proper football club, rather than the empty shell that ITFC has become.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Gill's gone then on 11:26 - May 7 with 2605 viewsSteve_M

Interesting. I was a bit surprised at his appointment, my perceptions of him here perhaps being coloured by Magilton's negative view of his approach, but he never struck me as a future coach in the same way Skuse or Chambers do. I'm not sure Dyer did either but he's clearly matured and put the work in to do that now.

Gill's gone then on 11:27 - May 7 with 2592 viewshype313

Gill's gone then on 11:22 - May 7 by ElephantintheRoom

Skuse and Chambers have clearly got what it takes to succeed in football management in my humble opinion - and might have made a better choice than Lambert when it all went pear-shaped.

I also suspect that they'd be much better off seeking a fresh start at a proper football club, rather than the empty shell that ITFC has become.

Empty shell it's become? have you been on the moon the past 6 weeks?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Gill's gone then on 11:29 - May 7 with 2575 viewsitfcjoe

Gill's gone then on 11:26 - May 7 by Steve_M

Interesting. I was a bit surprised at his appointment, my perceptions of him here perhaps being coloured by Magilton's negative view of his approach, but he never struck me as a future coach in the same way Skuse or Chambers do. I'm not sure Dyer did either but he's clearly matured and put the work in to do that now.

It feels like Cook just needed one of his guys to have a beer with and chew the fat with - which I get and understand and makes sense - but there must be someone who has shown more ambition and dedication for that role

Gill's gone then on 11:32 - May 7 with 2551 viewsSteve_M

Gill's gone then on 11:29 - May 7 by itfcjoe

It feels like Cook just needed one of his guys to have a beer with and chew the fat with - which I get and understand and makes sense - but there must be someone who has shown more ambition and dedication for that role

Yeah, Noel Hunt seemed a better candidate at the time for that.

Gill's gone then on 11:36 - May 7 with 2519 viewsclive_baker

I think it's as much about change for the sake of change as anything else, and it would be hard to disagree with that IMO. It's less a reflection on Gill and Roberts' respective abilities I would say, and more an attempt to freshen things up. Was it Henry Ford that said "If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got". It's the same for Chambers & Skuse, no doubt they could be good coaches elsewhere, but I think Cook wants a tangible and palpable reset, and there will be some collateral damage in that, and there needs to be. Had Gill been at Bristol City for the past 2.5 years he would probably have been a shoo-in.

Coaching badges are a start, but they alone don't prepare you for coaching, especially adults. It's as much about how you use the information and get ideas across in the real world. Your anecdotal feedback on Roberts is interesting though. Hopefully if that is the case then Cook recognises it and brings in some experience to support, someone with a few grey hairs on their head.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Gill's gone then on 11:39 - May 7 with 2489 viewsclive_baker

Gill's gone then on 11:27 - May 7 by hype313

Think he's previously been outed as the resident Norwich fan.

Just got promoted and still salty. Obsessed.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Gill's gone then on 11:47 - May 7 with 2430 viewstractorboy1978

Gill's gone then on 11:29 - May 7 by itfcjoe

Yes, I think it was as much about having someone that understood exactly how he likes to play and would be consistent with his message as much as anything else. I suspect Roberts will start work on his badges over the summer and be part of the team as junior coach. Taking a step back if you like. As he's Cook's only man at the moment his status has perhaps been elevated to a level that it really isn't.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 11:53]
Gill's gone then on 11:47 - May 7 with 2427 viewsitfcjoe

Gill's gone then on 11:36 - May 7 by clive_baker

I think it's as much about change for the sake of change as anything else, and it would be hard to disagree with that IMO. It's less a reflection on Gill and Roberts' respective abilities I would say, and more an attempt to freshen things up. Was it Henry Ford that said "If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got". It's the same for Chambers & Skuse, no doubt they could be good coaches elsewhere, but I think Cook wants a tangible and palpable reset, and there will be some collateral damage in that, and there needs to be. Had Gill been at Bristol City for the past 2.5 years he would probably have been a shoo-in.

Coaching badges are a start, but they alone don't prepare you for coaching, especially adults. It's as much about how you use the information and get ideas across in the real world. Your anecdotal feedback on Roberts is interesting though. Hopefully if that is the case then Cook recognises it and brings in some experience to support, someone with a few grey hairs on their head.

I think Robert’s has spent a fair bit of time just with 23s in recent weeks - He’s been dropped into a tough situation with 50 pros and squad struggling etc so it’s not a case of writing him off in anyway, he may end up a real asset.......but as things are at the moment whilst badges aren’t be all and end all, they do at least illustrate a commitment to that career being made and that is important.

When you look at Ashton and what he has done at BC, it’s very collegiate with regards to highly qualified people in roles, doesn’t seem a neat fit to me

Gill's gone then on 12:05 - May 7 with 2302 viewsBlueBadger

Gill's gone then on 11:27 - May 7 by hype313

No, just so edgy. So very, very, very edgy.

No point.

But LOTS of edge.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Gill's gone then on 12:17 - May 7 with 2243 viewsBlueBadger

Gill's gone then on 11:16 - May 7 by Cheltenham_Blue

Not sure why some seem surprised at this.

There needs to be a complete change of culture at the club, Gill is very much part of the old culture, along with a lot of staff yet to be let go.

I'm not sure 'speaking well' or 'seeming nice' should save any of them.

Lest we forget, Lambert 'spoke well' when he came in.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024