Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries 16:24 - May 7 with 1914 viewsartsbossbeard

I've managed to pull my calf by simply walking down a hill earlier.

Anyone beat that?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 16:37 - May 7 with 1870 viewsBlueandTruesince82

My mate from school broke his arm tripping over a matchstick whilst trying to remove a broom handle from the broom head so that he could be Cheetara from Thundercats.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 16:38 - May 7 with 1867 viewshype313

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 16:37 - May 7 by BlueandTruesince82

My mate from school broke his arm tripping over a matchstick whilst trying to remove a broom handle from the broom head so that he could be Cheetara from Thundercats.

Always had a soft spot for Cheetara...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 16:40 - May 7 with 1865 viewsCoastalblue

I put my back out, leading to 30 years of intermittent problems whilst putting an empty cardboard box in the loft.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 16:55 - May 7 with 1843 viewsgiant_stow

I broke my toe in ancient's footy practise, not from a bad tackle, but stubbing it on the ground.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 17:03 - May 7 with 1818 viewsLord_Lucan

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 16:40 - May 7 by Coastalblue

I put my back out, leading to 30 years of intermittent problems whilst putting an empty cardboard box in the loft.

I also put my back out but leading to 40 years of pain.

I was running for a bus in the dark on what was grassy terrain but is now the hospital car park. I didn’t see a wire fence and fell over it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 17:07 - May 7 with 1808 viewsSwansea_Blue

I ripped my calf whilst swivelling to unleash a volley into the imaginary top corner whilst having a knockabout with the lad. All a bit embarrassing. It's still knackered 3 years on.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 17:08 - May 7 with 1805 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ooo nasty. I still have flare ups from a tear on mine (simply walking down some steps) a couple of years ago.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 17:14 - May 7 with 1795 viewsSwansea_Blue

Alan Tate down here fell of a golfing buggy and broke his leg. He played in all four leagues for the Swans, led them out as captain in their first PL game against Man C at the Etihad (Aguero City debut as it happens), then about a week later fell off the buggy breaking his leg and missed most of the rest of their inaugural PL season after he couldn't reagin his place. You have to go some way to beat that for bad luck all round.

Login to get fewer ads

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 17:15 - May 7 with 1792 viewsgiant_stow

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 17:07 - May 7 by Swansea_Blue

I ripped my calf whilst swivelling to unleash a volley into the imaginary top corner whilst having a knockabout with the lad. All a bit embarrassing. It's still knackered 3 years on.

oh my! Ouch though, you poor thing.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 17:16 - May 7 with 1790 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 17:08 - May 7 by gainsboroughblue

Ooo nasty. I still have flare ups from a tear on mine (simply walking down some steps) a couple of years ago.

It's a pain. All the strain now is down the outsides and there's a big valley in the middle of where my calf used to be. I need to go and get it looked at again.

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 17:39 - May 7 with 1771 viewsbluelagos

Few years back I infected my thumb counting money in Liberia. The infection went a bit mental and I had to have minor surgery at an Irish army field hospital. Needed a second hospital visit to clean out the infection and had my hand bandaged and then put in a sling (to keep it upright) for a fortnight afterwards.

Also managed to impale my foot when I jumped down and landed on a bit of wood that had a big rusty nail sticking up. Was in the bush and took me 48 hours to get to a hospital, was hobbling for weeks. Never went through my foot as thankfully I had some walking boots on, but reckon it went around a cm in. That proper hurt tbf.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 17:42]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 17:49 - May 7 with 1741 viewsthorpedo

Managed to put a snooker cue through the roof of my mouth as an 8 year old. Was playing Cowboys and 'Native Americans', and I was on the top bunk. I was using my cue as a gun and jumped off - the cue went at a funny angle and landed on the floor and my mouth planted on the other end. I did a little war dance of pain which my mate though was part of the game until he saw the blood gushing from my mouth!

Thorpedo

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 18:28 - May 7 with 1719 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 17:39 - May 7 by bluelagos

Few years back I infected my thumb counting money in Liberia. The infection went a bit mental and I had to have minor surgery at an Irish army field hospital. Needed a second hospital visit to clean out the infection and had my hand bandaged and then put in a sling (to keep it upright) for a fortnight afterwards.

Also managed to impale my foot when I jumped down and landed on a bit of wood that had a big rusty nail sticking up. Was in the bush and took me 48 hours to get to a hospital, was hobbling for weeks. Never went through my foot as thankfully I had some walking boots on, but reckon it went around a cm in. That proper hurt tbf.

What were you doing? Gun running? Sounds like there is more to this story!

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 18:32 - May 7 with 1713 viewsWD19

I broke my arm packing away a trampoline at school.
Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 18:32 - May 7 with 1711 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sorry, but lol. Alway knew you were a raving capitalist at heart

I hope for your sake you didn't do any cycling out there. Liberia sounds, er, well I don't know really. It's not somewhere on my radar. Is it an interesting place?

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 18:51 - May 7 with 1693 viewsbluelagos

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 18:32 - May 7 by Swansea_Blue

Sorry, but lol. Alway knew you were a raving capitalist at heart

I hope for your sake you didn't do any cycling out there. Liberia sounds, er, well I don't know really. It's not somewhere on my radar. Is it an interesting place?

Was counting money as the accountant for an INGO. Payday I had to count out around $20k into pay packets for the staff - sorry no gun running Blueandtrue...

Yeah, it's certainly got some history. I was there for 13 months from early 2006. Ellen SJ had just been elected president and it's fair to say it was a bit fragile at the time. She was a very good president which was needed after the civil war.

The best bit (for me) was seeing the development in front of my eyes. I visited some IDP camps which was humbling, as was employing an ex-child soldier without knowing.

So when I started there, the 4 miles drive to work, I passed a school. The day I left I counted 7 schools on the same journey. A country literally waking up from the disaster of a war that left 1/12 of the population dead and 2/3 homeless.

Google "Liberia mud" to get a feel for the roads. Basically in wet season they are impassable which made working there a challenge. I spent 95% of my time in Monrovia. Buchanan was a few hours away and made for a nice weekend away, lovely beaches.

Was very humbling experience. I told Dolly once about a guy who when I asked why Liberians would cross a checkpoint which the soldiers would place human intestines across a road - he told me "hunger makes you bold". So many similar stories including a colleagues who lost his wife and kids to machete wielding gangs.

Saddest of all is how far they had fallen. For a large part of the 80s / 90s Liberia was doing well. I think after South Africa some the earliest heart transplants were done in the hospital in Monrovia. By contrast when I took a colleague there, we had to bring diesel to pay for the generator.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 18:53]

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 19:11 - May 7 with 1676 viewsVic

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 17:03 - May 7 by Lord_Lucan

I also put my back out but leading to 40 years of pain.

I was running for a bus in the dark on what was grassy terrain but is now the hospital car park. I didn’t see a wire fence and fell over it.

Surprised you can remember it!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 22:45 - May 7 with 1583 viewsDeano69

I managed to pull something in my right leg standing on a slope watching my daughter at football training. It was pretty chilly but jeez.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 22:49]

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 08:19 - May 8 with 1503 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 18:51 - May 7 by bluelagos

Was counting money as the accountant for an INGO. Payday I had to count out around $20k into pay packets for the staff - sorry no gun running Blueandtrue...

Yeah, it's certainly got some history. I was there for 13 months from early 2006. Ellen SJ had just been elected president and it's fair to say it was a bit fragile at the time. She was a very good president which was needed after the civil war.

The best bit (for me) was seeing the development in front of my eyes. I visited some IDP camps which was humbling, as was employing an ex-child soldier without knowing.

So when I started there, the 4 miles drive to work, I passed a school. The day I left I counted 7 schools on the same journey. A country literally waking up from the disaster of a war that left 1/12 of the population dead and 2/3 homeless.

Google "Liberia mud" to get a feel for the roads. Basically in wet season they are impassable which made working there a challenge. I spent 95% of my time in Monrovia. Buchanan was a few hours away and made for a nice weekend away, lovely beaches.

Was very humbling experience. I told Dolly once about a guy who when I asked why Liberians would cross a checkpoint which the soldiers would place human intestines across a road - he told me "hunger makes you bold". So many similar stories including a colleagues who lost his wife and kids to machete wielding gangs.

Saddest of all is how far they had fallen. For a large part of the 80s / 90s Liberia was doing well. I think after South Africa some the earliest heart transplants were done in the hospital in Monrovia. By contrast when I took a colleague there, we had to bring diesel to pay for the generator.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 18:53]

Great story, even without the gun running.

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 09:25 - May 8 with 1467 viewsbluelagos

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 08:19 - May 8 by BlueandTruesince82

Great story, even without the gun running.

Copy and paste from another thread about "secret histories". Some more context on Liberia and it's rather brutal history.
------------------------------

Another one was all around the civil war in Liberia and the role of Prince Johnson.

This is barely believable, but google it and it's all as written.

During the civil war there were various factions in a bit of race for the capital Monrovia. Get there first, and you are in charge. Prince Johnson had one group and Charles Taylor another.

The first to Monrovia was Prince Johnson who captured Doe - the sitting president. He caught him and then videoed himself torturing Doe and mutilating him before killing him. The video was distributed as a kind of trophy "I am the man, I'm in charge". You can find it on youtube but I won't link it as it is as described.

Later on Charles Taylor's rebels arrive and PJ fleas Liberia to live in Nigeria. He alleges to find god and after the war ends and Liberia returns to peace, Prince Johnson returns. He then decides to stand for election and wins a senator seat in Nimba county. Another election on, and his party holds the balance of power and he is the king maker in the Liberian parliament.

So this guy goes from rebel leader who tortured to death a president to an elected senator who decides who is next president.

Try getting your head round that. I read up on this in the rather excellent "Mask of Anarchy". And I later discovered that my noisy neighbour (for a year) was Doe's sibling or daughter, can't remember which it was. Fair to say I didn't complain about the noise given how well connected these guys were.

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 09:30 - May 8 with 1461 viewsjontysnut

I was doing some hoovering around the house listening to an old Town commentary on Radio 2. We scored and I jumped up in the air to celebrate. Unfortunately I forgot I was under a door frame and cracked my head open.
Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 10:31 - May 8 with 1439 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Richard Wright not only fell out of the loft and damaged his shoulder while with us, but also twisted his ankle tripping over a sign warning him not to warm up in the goalmouth before a match with Everton.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 10:33 - May 8 with 1436 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I ricked my neck, forcing me to wear a neck brace for 2 weeks by drying my hair after getting out of the shower.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 10:40 - May 8 with 1420 viewsLord_Lucan

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 10:49 - May 8 with 1410 viewsBiGDonnie

Ian Marshall supermarket trolley style injuries on 16:40 - May 7 by Coastalblue

Done my back turning around before at football. Walking speed. Woke up the next morning and physically couldn't sit up.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024