Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? 19:31 - May 7 with 5101 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Not been on here much (actually been working) so apologies if someone's said it already... but Labour have been destroyed in these local elections... even with all Boris's feck ups the public still trust the Tories over Kier's Labour.

He's done no better, or perhaps worse, than Corbyn would've done.

Maybe it's because Kier's perceived as a bit of a toff like the Tory lot. Or doesn't have any policies. He's been showing up Tory mismanagement for me, but it's obviously not cutting through to the public.

Labour should get Jess Philips in. Someone who would appeal to the north, and everyone, frankly.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 19:32 - May 7 with 2046 viewsJ2BLUE

He probably deserves another year or so and the chance to change. Even if he doesn't change why bring someone else in now? Keep them out of the firing line.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 19:33 - May 7 with 2046 viewsWD19

Keep up. Apparently it is Jeremy Corbyns fault. ‘Long Corbyn’ they are calling it.
Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 19:38 - May 7 with 2022 viewsgtsb1966

He has no passion. I'm a floating voter but predominantly have voted for labour. If you can't appeal to the people of Hartlepool you're really in the wrong job. He should definitely resign. Nothing will change with him as leader. The public have made their minds up about him.
Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 19:42 - May 7 with 1997 viewsTrequartista

I don't see anyone in the parliamentary Labour party who is a leader who can win back the working class votes. I thought Lisa Nandy spoke well around the time of the leadership campaign but have been less impressed since. Their only hope is to get Andy Burnham back into parliament i would have thought.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 19:46 - May 7 with 1964 viewsSwansea_Blue

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 19:38 - May 7 by gtsb1966

He has no passion. I'm a floating voter but predominantly have voted for labour. If you can't appeal to the people of Hartlepool you're really in the wrong job. He should definitely resign. Nothing will change with him as leader. The public have made their minds up about him.

He struggles with image doesn't he. That and simple key messaging. Unfortunately both matter.

Meanwhile the Lib Dems seem to be completely dying. I've only seen the Welsh results so far, but they're getting a right kicking. David Lloyd George will be turning in his grave.

PS. Labour holding ground easily in Wales so far, but I guess that doesn't reflect on Starmer. Wales looks like it's going to be pretty much the same as last time (and ever). Leanne Wood the only casualty so far with her seat going Tory, bu it's the only swing (someone predicted that on here the other day).
[Post edited 7 May 2021 19:54]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 19:56 - May 7 with 1915 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 19:32 - May 7 by J2BLUE

He probably deserves another year or so and the chance to change. Even if he doesn't change why bring someone else in now? Keep them out of the firing line.

Yeah I see your point. But they probably need time to recover as well... so get in a more 'Labour' person, get some policies down, and start building an identity for the future. Hartlepool - 56 years Labour... swung to the Tories with a 7000 majority. If Labour was an animal you'd have it put down out of kindness.

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 19:57 - May 7 with 1906 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I'm kinda in the same camp as you.

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 19:58 - May 7 with 1902 viewsJ2BLUE

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 19:56 - May 7 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yeah I see your point. But they probably need time to recover as well... so get in a more 'Labour' person, get some policies down, and start building an identity for the future. Hartlepool - 56 years Labour... swung to the Tories with a 7000 majority. If Labour was an animal you'd have it put down out of kindness.

What I don't get about Labour is why it is so split. Both sides seem to care more about controlling the party and demanding the other side fall in line which clearly isn't going to happen. They need to split. If each side is so confident in their beliefs they should split and give the voters the option.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 20:00 - May 7 with 1895 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 19:42 - May 7 by Trequartista

I don't see anyone in the parliamentary Labour party who is a leader who can win back the working class votes. I thought Lisa Nandy spoke well around the time of the leadership campaign but have been less impressed since. Their only hope is to get Andy Burnham back into parliament i would have thought.

I like Andy Burnham as well. What's wrong with Jess? They're both hard-nosed, take-no-sheet northerners. Both likeable... and both offer a difference to Tory toff before they even get into policies.

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 20:02 - May 7 with 1895 viewsDanTheMan

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 19:58 - May 7 by J2BLUE

What I don't get about Labour is why it is so split. Both sides seem to care more about controlling the party and demanding the other side fall in line which clearly isn't going to happen. They need to split. If each side is so confident in their beliefs they should split and give the voters the option.

Not just labour, just generally an issue with left wing people.

Seem to care more about being the right sort of left wing, and less about getting crap done.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 20:09 - May 7 with 1853 viewsgtsb1966

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 20:02 - May 7 by DanTheMan

Not just labour, just generally an issue with left wing people.

Seem to care more about being the right sort of left wing, and less about getting crap done.

You'll probably upset a select few on here with that comment but you're spot on.
Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 20:15 - May 7 with 1834 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's a bit odd, because the tories are far from a happy camp themselves but somehow manage to keep a lid on the internal infighting and still present a united front come election time. Labour don't seem able to do that.

I'm not a traditional Labour supporter, but unfortunately due to our voting system we need them to do well if we want to stop the mess that the Tories create. It's like going to the races and needing to back a horse that's got three legs, is blind and is only one fall from the knackers yard. You really, really want it to do well but know in your heart it hasn't got a chance.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 20:28 - May 7 with 1798 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I guess both think they're not strong enough on their own. They naively want the other side to fall in line. I personally like the more left side - I like its ideas and it's more of a difference to what we have. But the wider public didn't like that, so it isn't going to win.

But yeah I agree; if you're gonna split, split properly.

I think most of this country is selfish and they're either Tories or aspire to be Tories. Maybe me and the missus will move to somewhere more progressive like Denmark. I genuinely hate the UK general public.

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 20:33 - May 7 with 1783 viewsJ2BLUE

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 20:28 - May 7 by The_Flashing_Smile

I guess both think they're not strong enough on their own. They naively want the other side to fall in line. I personally like the more left side - I like its ideas and it's more of a difference to what we have. But the wider public didn't like that, so it isn't going to win.

But yeah I agree; if you're gonna split, split properly.

I think most of this country is selfish and they're either Tories or aspire to be Tories. Maybe me and the missus will move to somewhere more progressive like Denmark. I genuinely hate the UK general public.

This point never goes down very well on here but for everyone like you who wants a more progressive society I believe there's someone who doesn't. That might sound odd and i'm not suggesting they are bigots. I just think this 'progress' goes faster and faster by the year and some people want to push back.

Truly impaired.

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 20:34 - May 7 with 1780 viewsDarth_Koont

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 19:46 - May 7 by Swansea_Blue

He struggles with image doesn't he. That and simple key messaging. Unfortunately both matter.

Meanwhile the Lib Dems seem to be completely dying. I've only seen the Welsh results so far, but they're getting a right kicking. David Lloyd George will be turning in his grave.

PS. Labour holding ground easily in Wales so far, but I guess that doesn't reflect on Starmer. Wales looks like it's going to be pretty much the same as last time (and ever). Leanne Wood the only casualty so far with her seat going Tory, bu it's the only swing (someone predicted that on here the other day).

By the way, I really like your idea of re-inventing the left around the Greens.

A. Climate change is the elephant in the room. And if we can’t handle something as serious as that then we’re probably not doing much forward-thinking anywhere else.

B. It’s inherently a move away from the status quo and same old, same old that has hollowed out politics in England over the past 20 years.

C. It’s about looking after children and future generations. Our political discussions have been focused on the middle-aged (not the elderly) and their interests. But that’s really never what a country needs. In the same way that companies that focus exclusively on their big sellers end up going backwards. And FWIW I’ll never understand why a country that’s good for its young won’t be good for everyone else. That’s the success of the Nordic countries.

Pronouns: He/Him

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 20:34 - May 7 with 1786 viewssolomon

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 19:33 - May 7 by WD19

Keep up. Apparently it is Jeremy Corbyns fault. ‘Long Corbyn’ they are calling it.

Last week it was wallpaper, this week it looks like curtains.
Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 20:49 - May 7 with 1738 viewsDarth_Koont

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 20:33 - May 7 by J2BLUE

This point never goes down very well on here but for everyone like you who wants a more progressive society I believe there's someone who doesn't. That might sound odd and i'm not suggesting they are bigots. I just think this 'progress' goes faster and faster by the year and some people want to push back.

No, you’re absolutely right.

But progress (and moving left) is inevitable: that’s just history, certainly since the Enlightenment and we realised that we are the ones who make our world not God.

The difficulty now is that progress, and the demand for it, is far quicker. That will make people more reactionary. But, just like similar people 20, 50 or 100 years ago, they’re just obstacles to their own happiness and the happiness of others. There are plenty of examples around the world of happier, more developed and fairer societies so there’s really no excuse.

What is deeply depressing is that we can’t even have this conversation publicly. Because we’vee got politicians and a media (2-3,000 people perhaps?) who are more than comfortable with where we are and where they fit in.

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 20:53 - May 7 with 1716 viewsGlasgowBlue

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 20:34 - May 7 by Darth_Koont

By the way, I really like your idea of re-inventing the left around the Greens.

A. Climate change is the elephant in the room. And if we can’t handle something as serious as that then we’re probably not doing much forward-thinking anywhere else.

B. It’s inherently a move away from the status quo and same old, same old that has hollowed out politics in England over the past 20 years.

C. It’s about looking after children and future generations. Our political discussions have been focused on the middle-aged (not the elderly) and their interests. But that’s really never what a country needs. In the same way that companies that focus exclusively on their big sellers end up going backwards. And FWIW I’ll never understand why a country that’s good for its young won’t be good for everyone else. That’s the success of the Nordic countries.

I suggested re grouping the left around the greens to you a year ago. You poo pooed the idea.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 21:01 - May 7 with 1692 viewsvapour_trail

Hartlepool people did hang the monkey spy.

Just saying.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 21:02 - May 7 with 1686 viewsHerbivore

Not sure it's a resigning matter, it's one by election and some local council elections. That said, it's a terrible set of results and he and Labour need to have a real think about how they can start turning this around.

I honestly think we're screwed though. The Tories have managed to totally screw the country for over a decade, they created the clusterf**k of Brexit that has damaged us irreparably in so many ways, their current leader can't move his lips without lying and will sacrifice literally anything for his own gain, and yet the Tories go from strength to strength.

How do you even begin to tackle winning over a public that is in the thrall of this corrupt bunch of charlatans? They've somehow created a sh!t storm and walked out of it with their white linen suit still looking pristine. They're untouchable. I think anyone wanting progressive politics needs to look to get out of the UK, or England at the very least.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 21:04 - May 7 with 1677 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 20:33 - May 7 by J2BLUE

I think there's more anti-progressives than every one like me.

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 21:06 - May 7 with 1670 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 19:46 - May 7 by Swansea_Blue

I think Count Binface has had more press than the Lib Dems. They might as well pack up.

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 21:13 - May 7 with 1643 viewsGlasgowBlue

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 21:02 - May 7 by Herbivore

Not sure it's a resigning matter, it's one by election and some local council elections. That said, it's a terrible set of results and he and Labour need to have a real think about how they can start turning this around.

I honestly think we're screwed though. The Tories have managed to totally screw the country for over a decade, they created the clusterf**k of Brexit that has damaged us irreparably in so many ways, their current leader can't move his lips without lying and will sacrifice literally anything for his own gain, and yet the Tories go from strength to strength.

How do you even begin to tackle winning over a public that is in the thrall of this corrupt bunch of charlatans? They've somehow created a sh!t storm and walked out of it with their white linen suit still looking pristine. They're untouchable. I think anyone wanting progressive politics needs to look to get out of the UK, or England at the very least.

I see the Tories increased their majority in your constituency Herbie. God does have a sense of humour.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 21:15 - May 7 with 1638 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 21:02 - May 7 by Herbivore

"it's one by election and some local council elections" is massively underselling this catastrophic, nationwide, defeat.

I agree with the rest. We are bereft. Lost.

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 21:15 - May 7 with 1629 viewsDarth_Koont

Well I guess Kier Starmer should resign? on 20:53 - May 7 by GlasgowBlue

I suggested re grouping the left around the greens to you a year ago. You poo pooed the idea.

That’s probably right. Although Corbyn’s progressive policies were of course completely in line with the Greens so no need then.

Starmer going back on his pledges to continue that progressive platform changes everything. His anti-progressive Labour is part of the problem – politically, socially, economically and environmentally.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024