Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question for those who know their football and can spot a player 16:49 - May 9 with 1999 viewsIllinoisblue

What do you think Borussia Monchengladbach saw in Bennetts?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 16:50 - May 9 with 1976 viewsJ2BLUE

Bit of a daft question mate. We've all seen how a different environment can turn a zero into a hero.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 16:51 - May 9 with 1979 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

I like him. He is raw and exciting and, with a little polishing, will become quite the flair player we have been crying out for.
Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 16:52 - May 9 with 1973 viewssaffers12

Not sure, I do follow them and have for years, they are not in the same league as Dortmund and Liepzip for sporting a player but they are very good at talent I.d. and development. Generally survive by selling for big money

Something clearly went wrong with their scouting system
Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 16:55 - May 9 with 1912 viewsPendejo

Tax write off?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 16:57 - May 9 with 1909 viewsstringy

This is a question I was pondering earlier and something I'd love to ask a coach; 'what's the tipping point between thinking someone can be taught a skill, as opposed to it being innate/natural or them never being able to learn it?'

we talk of rough diamonds, and 'there's a player in there', so what in Bennetts (or anyone else's) case does it take for him to become the polished item?

can you teach/train those split second decisions alongside routine target practice?

is this something coaches view over the long-term and if it hasn't happened by age X you let go?

nature/nurture innit
Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 17:04 - May 9 with 1847 viewsDanTheMan

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 16:50 - May 9 by J2BLUE

Bit of a daft question mate. We've all seen how a different environment can turn a zero into a hero.

He reminds me of the sort of player who comes on loan to the lower leagues when they are still fairly young, looks nothing special but eventually goes on to have a decent career higher up.

One example that springs to mind is Andros Townsend who I don't really remember being all that special when we had him on loan but has now had a decent career in the Premier League.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 17:06 - May 9 with 1824 viewswkj

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 16:51 - May 9 by BlueBlueBluex2

I like him. He is raw and exciting and, with a little polishing, will become quite the flair player we have been crying out for.

Maybe, but the basics of control and passing have to surely be solved sooner rather than later?

He may well have potential - but he's going to need to push on relatively soon in reaching it.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 17:09 - May 9 with 1794 viewsJ2BLUE

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 17:04 - May 9 by DanTheMan

He reminds me of the sort of player who comes on loan to the lower leagues when they are still fairly young, looks nothing special but eventually goes on to have a decent career higher up.

One example that springs to mind is Andros Townsend who I don't really remember being all that special when we had him on loan but has now had a decent career in the Premier League.

Agree. Keane sent him back early...Really didn't utilise him effectively.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 17:15 - May 9 with 1762 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 17:06 - May 9 by wkj

Maybe, but the basics of control and passing have to surely be solved sooner rather than later?

He may well have potential - but he's going to need to push on relatively soon in reaching it.

I think his brain is working quicker than his body. He needs to relax and let it all come naturally.
Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 17:35 - May 9 with 1673 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 16:51 - May 9 by BlueBlueBluex2

I think this is the thing. As an 18/19 year old he would have been clearly skilful but struggling with decision-making and have a lot of potential.

Now he is 22 and clearly skilful but struggling with decision-making, unable to cross or shoot you question whether there is any potential.

The difference is age and development. I would suggest that he probably hasn't show the development required.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 17:36 - May 9 with 1667 viewsIllinoisblue

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 16:57 - May 9 by stringy

This is a question I was pondering earlier and something I'd love to ask a coach; 'what's the tipping point between thinking someone can be taught a skill, as opposed to it being innate/natural or them never being able to learn it?'

we talk of rough diamonds, and 'there's a player in there', so what in Bennetts (or anyone else's) case does it take for him to become the polished item?

can you teach/train those split second decisions alongside routine target practice?

is this something coaches view over the long-term and if it hasn't happened by age X you let go?

nature/nurture innit

I thought when he first came here there was some raw potential; a willingness to go at players. But he seems to have regressed. Looks a hundred miles away from even being a regular in League 1

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 17:36 - May 9 with 1665 viewsBloomBlue

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 17:04 - May 9 by DanTheMan

Townsend is a good example, I think a lot of Town fans thought he was a headless chicken, fast but no end product when here but as you say went on to have a decent PL career
Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 17:52 - May 9 with 1580 viewsBluefish

Are you seriously telling me that you can't see a different level of balance and footwork from him?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 17:57 - May 9 with 1553 viewsPlums

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 17:35 - May 9 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think this is the thing. As an 18/19 year old he would have been clearly skilful but struggling with decision-making and have a lot of potential.

Now he is 22 and clearly skilful but struggling with decision-making, unable to cross or shoot you question whether there is any potential.

The difference is age and development. I would suggest that he probably hasn't show the development required.

He was clearly rated as a teen but he’s 22 and has only played about 30 first team games - the vast majority for us - in a team where the club has been in turmoil all season. For a player with no experience but high expectations, that’s got to be a challenge. It looks as though he needs some decent coaching, his game stripping back to simplify it and lots of game time to give him confidence.
I suspect he’ll find a lower club where he’ll learn his trade and will emerge as a decent pro by the time he’s 25.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 18:00 - May 9 with 1531 viewsGarv

That he's got talent but needs to be coached to bring it out?

It's like asking what we see in Dobra.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 18:52 - May 9 with 1412 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

He's quick and has a fair bit of skill in his feet... but doesn't appear to have a footballing brain. You'd think that could be coached... but he's 22 and it ought to have been done so by now.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 19:21 - May 9 with 1332 viewsRobTheMonk

He's got all the pieces of the footballing puzzle, but it's been put together by a two year old on a sugar high.
Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 19:27 - May 9 with 1311 viewsDarth_Koont

Quick feet and comfortable on the ball. It’s everything else, with probably awareness and decision-making at the heart of it, that he seems to struggle with.

But I’m not going to lie, that’s been a problem for all our players and it seems that our lack of shape and direction as a team has really exposed them.

Edit: And just to say I wouldn’t claim to “know [my] football and can spot a player”! I’m pretty hit and miss. But I like to think I’m pretty objective and ultimately it all boils down to their effectiveness.
[Post edited 9 May 2021 19:33]

Pronouns: He/Him

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 19:28 - May 9 with 1306 viewstrncbluearmy

pace, the one thing you can`t coach, ditto Jackson
Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 21:11 - May 9 with 1142 viewsBlueschev

I’m not sure I agree re Townsend. I couldn’t believe how Keane utilised him. Barnsley at home we were crap apart from him. Keane took him off with a collective “wtf?!” from 20 thousand people. A week later he’d been sent back, I was totally baffled as to why.
Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 21:19 - May 9 with 1113 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 21:11 - May 9 by Blueschev

I’m not sure I agree re Townsend. I couldn’t believe how Keane utilised him. Barnsley at home we were crap apart from him. Keane took him off with a collective “wtf?!” from 20 thousand people. A week later he’d been sent back, I was totally baffled as to why.

Thinking back to then I think we speculated that Keane knew he was getting the heave-ho and decided to send Townsend back to spite the new manager. Seemed the only plausible reason.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 21:21 - May 9 with 1107 viewsDeano69

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 10:33 - May 10 with 791 viewsSamWhiteUK

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 17:52 - May 9 by Bluefish

Are you seriously telling me that you can't see a different level of balance and footwork from him?

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 10:36 - May 10 with 775 viewsKeaneish

He has the raw talent but clearly lacks belief. Confidence is easier to breed than finding raw talent so I expect in the right environment he’ll look unrecognisable but, his spell here has been terrible so where he goes from here is a lottery.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Question for those who know their football and can spot a player on 10:36 - May 10 with 774 viewsgordon

At 18 he probably had the same pace / trickery, and would have stood out at youth team level. Decision-making and composure matter far less when you are skinning the opposing right-back 10 times in a game and can stick half your crosses miles over every-one's head while still being the most dangerous player on the pitch.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024