Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) 09:36 - May 10 with 3557 viewsMrTown

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:42 - May 10 with 2613 viewsMatt_Netherlands

It won’t happen but yeah I would. One of my gripes with him playing so much this year isn’t just that he’s been learning and making mistakes, more that he’s getting those mistakes out of his system now before going into bigger things. Would be somewhat more forgiving if he was one of our own full time.

Interesting to see how high up he goes. Was highly tipped when he came here but has hardly set the world alight. He’s obviously only 20 thought which is still young for a CB, so will probably get a low end championship loan next season I’d imagine.
Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:42 - May 10 with 2605 viewsDarth_Koont

Yes. Think he’s got a higher ceiling of performance that he didn’t show too much of in a difficult season for everyone. His best performance was against us in the FLT as part of a well-functioning Arsenal side, where he looked the standout player.

So with regard to the above, I’m not sure he’s in our league yet.

Pronouns: He/Him

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:43 - May 10 with 2574 viewsHerbivore

No, not a chance. Too error prone and we don't look solid playing both him and Woolfenden, which means only one of them can play and I'd prefer that to be Woolfenden based on what he showed last season when paired with a more experienced partner.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:46 - May 10 with 2514 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Yes and No. He'll develop into a really good player, but signing a player of that age only blocks Ndaba and Baggott. I'd rather have a 29 year old for one of the yoof to take over from.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:48 - May 10 with 2485 viewsSomethingBlue

If the timing was right then probably, he'll become a very good player. Hard for people to see past the fact we've been cost a few goals while he's learned on the job, I get that, and he's actually been a reasonable argument for not bringing young CBs in on loan. But the tools are all there and in a couple of years he'll be doing well at a level higher than ours. Doubt we could afford him though even with our new-found relative wealth and there are other areas we need to prioritise.
[Post edited 10 May 2021 9:48]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:50 - May 10 with 2448 viewsclive_baker

He's an odd one really, a real throwback and I think in time he could be a solid enough centre half, maybe at Championship level but certainly League 1. There's not cat in hell's chance he'll make it at Arsenal, he's so anti modern footballer. He's outrageously strong, excellent in the air, massive leap and reads the game pretty well. My issue with him as well as his tendency to lose concentration and make a mistake (which he can learn to eradicate over time for sure), is he's also as slow as sh1t, and has the turning circle of the Ever Given. He always wants to hold a really deep defensive line which he's understandably much more comfortable doing, but he frustrates me to watch as he either gives a pacey forward a few yards to make sure he's not getting done, or he'll go through the back of them unnecessarily. The amount of freekicks he gives away is criminal.

It's a no from me. He's looked a cut above Woolfy this season but we've seen what Woolfy can do, and I think he needs the benefit of the doubt to come back stronger next season with an experienced head next to him. I would be very keen to see McGreal come in some capacity as has been rumoured, assistant maybe. An excellent defender in his day and had an average Colchester squad looking very tight at the back. I think Woolfy, Baggott etc would really benefit from working with someone like him.
[Post edited 10 May 2021 9:53]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:51 - May 10 with 2425 viewsurbanblue

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:43 - May 10 by Herbivore

No, not a chance. Too error prone and we don't look solid playing both him and Woolfenden, which means only one of them can play and I'd prefer that to be Woolfenden based on what he showed last season when paired with a more experienced partner.

Taking him on a permanent deal wouldn't necessarily mean he would be the regular first choice. Would be good cover and one for the future so a yes from me.
[Post edited 10 May 2021 9:55]
Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:54 - May 10 with 2388 viewspointofblue

I suppose a mix of two youngsters and two experienced heads might work - if we sign him we need to release Nsiala though, as I don’t trust him in guiding an inexperienced centre back through a match. We’d need two centre backs who are coaches as much as defenders; we saw how much help Chambers and Wilson gave Woolfenden in that role last year.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:55 - May 10 with 2373 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Id rather give Ndaba a go. Real good reviews from Ayr fans, some saying stand out player of the season
Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:55 - May 10 with 2374 viewsDarth_Koont

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:50 - May 10 by clive_baker

He's an odd one really, a real throwback and I think in time he could be a solid enough centre half, maybe at Championship level but certainly League 1. There's not cat in hell's chance he'll make it at Arsenal, he's so anti modern footballer. He's outrageously strong, excellent in the air, massive leap and reads the game pretty well. My issue with him as well as his tendency to lose concentration and make a mistake (which he can learn to eradicate over time for sure), is he's also as slow as sh1t, and has the turning circle of the Ever Given. He always wants to hold a really deep defensive line which he's understandably much more comfortable doing, but he frustrates me to watch as he either gives a pacey forward a few yards to make sure he's not getting done, or he'll go through the back of them unnecessarily. The amount of freekicks he gives away is criminal.

It's a no from me. He's looked a cut above Woolfy this season but we've seen what Woolfy can do, and I think he needs the benefit of the doubt to come back stronger next season with an experienced head next to him. I would be very keen to see McGreal come in some capacity as has been rumoured, assistant maybe. An excellent defender in his day and had an average Colchester squad looking very tight at the back. I think Woolfy, Baggott etc would really benefit from working with someone like him.
[Post edited 10 May 2021 9:53]

No doubt he and the team struggled. But it’s interesting how he looked much, much better in a better, more modern Arsenal team. And pretty much the opposite of what you describe.

Think this was a tough season for him, but hopefully a step back to take a couple of steps forward.

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:55 - May 10 with 2364 viewsJohnWarksTash

No. Been a big disappointment. He's not ready for first team football.
100% - can’t see it happening on 09:55 - May 10 with 2360 viewsunstableblue

MCGuiness had some calamitous moments through this season. But I think this was more experience and positioning knowledge than any long term concern.

He’s a good character for someone so young.

Is good in the air but also good on the floor; he’s mobile.

I think he’ll probably get loaned to a championship club though, and I think we’d struggle to attract him back.

Also we have Baggot and NDaba as other young good CB prospects, plus Wilson returning. A seasoned CB, perhaps as captain to supplement Wolf and Wilson may also be a Cook priority.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:56 - May 10 with 2333 viewspointofblue

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:55 - May 10 by abracaDOBRA_

Id rather give Ndaba a go. Real good reviews from Ayr fans, some saying stand out player of the season

With no offence to Ndaba or Ayr, that’s in the Scottish Championship which is probably the equivalent of League Two at best, if not the National League, in England.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:56 - May 10 with 2331 viewsOldTimer2

Not when we have 2 good prospects ourselves. Better to get an experienced CB to play alongside Wolfenden, e.g Pennington and have Ndaba/Baggott as back ups

Bobby Robson - thank you

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:57 - May 10 with 2311 viewsHerbivore

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:51 - May 10 by urbanblue

Taking him on a permanent deal wouldn't necessarily mean he would be the regular first choice. Would be good cover and one for the future so a yes from me.
[Post edited 10 May 2021 9:55]

He's not going to leave Arsenal to be a bench warmer in League 1.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 10:01 - May 10 with 2235 viewshype313

Lots of comments saying "not good enough" Arsenal have high hopes for him, they view him as a long term 1st teamer so there would be no chance of us signing him.

It's a bit like Maitland-Niles, didn't pull up many trees when he was here, yet is now playing regular PL football.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 10:02 - May 10 with 2224 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:56 - May 10 by pointofblue

With no offence to Ndaba or Ayr, that’s in the Scottish Championship which is probably the equivalent of League Two at best, if not the National League, in England.

True, but we've had a lot of youngsters go out on loan to these types of teams and not impress. It's a positive that he has and maybe shows there's something there
Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 10:02 - May 10 with 2214 viewsclive_baker

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:55 - May 10 by Darth_Koont

No doubt he and the team struggled. But it’s interesting how he looked much, much better in a better, more modern Arsenal team. And pretty much the opposite of what you describe.

Think this was a tough season for him, but hopefully a step back to take a couple of steps forward.

I only saw him play for Arsenal once, against us, and sure he managed to keep Drinan pretty quiet, but I'm not sure much can be read into that. He only made 4 appearances for Arsenal U23's last season.

The issue with U23 football is it's such a far cry from the reality and rigours of senior football. I will eat my hat if he ever makes a Premier League appearance, he'll really struggle to overcome his lack of pace. I can see him establishing himself in L1 though, and it's a fair point about him playing in a poor side. Not just a poor side, but a side intent on 'building from the back'. McGuinness probably saw more of the ball than our front 3 combines in a number of games this season, we certainly didn't make life easy for him.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 10:05 - May 10 with 2168 viewsKeaneish

Yes, in an instant. He’ll be a real asset in years to come and has shown signs that he can handle this level even if a little wobbly at times. Give him another season and solid coaching and we’ll reap the benefits. No brainier for me.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 10:06 - May 10 with 2152 viewsDarth_Koont

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 10:02 - May 10 by clive_baker

I only saw him play for Arsenal once, against us, and sure he managed to keep Drinan pretty quiet, but I'm not sure much can be read into that. He only made 4 appearances for Arsenal U23's last season.

The issue with U23 football is it's such a far cry from the reality and rigours of senior football. I will eat my hat if he ever makes a Premier League appearance, he'll really struggle to overcome his lack of pace. I can see him establishing himself in L1 though, and it's a fair point about him playing in a poor side. Not just a poor side, but a side intent on 'building from the back'. McGuinness probably saw more of the ball than our front 3 combines in a number of games this season, we certainly didn't make life easy for him.

Is he slow or is it about not anticipating and being in the wrong position or flat-footed? Must admit he never struck me as slow.

But you may well be right about his long-term prospects. More players will fail than succeed.

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 10:12 - May 10 with 2088 viewsGarv

Reminds me a bit of Pennington, though I'd like to think he'll be better than him in time.

Maybe in a few years, not now.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 10:14 - May 10 with 2064 viewsDanTheMan

Given his usefulness to us right now and given what he'd likely cost us, no.

As others have said, high ceiling I think but we need players who are ready now.
[Post edited 10 May 2021 10:17]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 10:14 - May 10 with 2064 viewsSarge

No chance. He’s young and I think will turn into a decent player who will play higher than us, but in the immediate future I can’t deal with so many basic errors and poor decision making. I want a rock solid central defence like the Berra/Smith partnership or anyone like McAuley or de Vos.
Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 10:30 - May 10 with 1973 viewsSuperCoops

Not for me, no.
Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 10:31 - May 10 with 1968 viewsbournemouthblue

I might simply because he'll end up being a very decent centre back

But it would have to be a good deal for us

I'd take Bennetts too but I can't see BMG, letting him go cheaply. I know people will shoot me down on that one but he could have an Iorfa like transformation and could be honed into a decent player imho.
[Post edited 10 May 2021 16:29]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024